• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

FP/FJ?

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Hey.

Well, I've done a few of the tests, and came out INFP except once I came out INFJ. INFP seems to fit me very well, except one thing I'm a bit confused about. I'm not too organised /orderly on the outside - I leave everything to the last minute, putting things in lists of order actually upsets me - I feel like I'll miss somethint out, so I'm not good with lists. I used to be terrible with homework, usually always handing it in late. I'm terrible at making decisions.

BUT, here's the thing. Inside my head I would say I'm kind of organised, even obsessive often.:doh: I have to plan things out in my head. I'll plan what I'm going to say to someone, what I'm going to do, etc. I need to know what's going to happen, what time, where. I thought that was more of an INFJ thing?

Any vibes from me? I am pushing more towards INFP, because most of it apllies very well. I'm just confused with this organised issue.:shock:

Thank you.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well, if it helps you, my INFJ keeps on making a lot of lists on things so she doesnt forget about them. She never really understands her system so afterwards and therefore most of her lists die that way :D.

She is very organized and structured, quite obsessive in her mind aswell, but she hates it when people are too late or things that can be done immediantly, wont be done immediantly. She is allergic to laziness and needs to be stopped sometimes, when she is whirlwinding thru the household, so her reactor wont overheat :D

I would go with infp for you. (judging from only those small facts here of course)

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, if it helps you, my INFJ keeps on making a lot of lists on things so she doesnt forget about them. She never really understands her system so afterwards and therefore most of her lists die that way :D.

She is very organized and structured, quite obsessive in her mind aswell, but she hates it when people are too late or things that can be done immediantly, wont be done immediantly. She is allergic to laziness and needs to be stopped sometimes, when she is whirlwinding thru the household, so her reactor wont overheat :D

I would go with infp for you. (judging from only those small facts here of course)

Thanks. That a good point with the lists actually. My mum is an INFJ, and she looovess lists, haha. She's definitely more organised than me on the outside. It's just I seem to need structure inside my head, hmmm....

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
Lucky you, there's a website just for this, INFPorINFJ? It provides dozens of ways to tell INFPs from INFJs. You may not agree with all of them, but odds are there is something in there that will click.

I'll edit this post in a bit with specific examples from that website that I agree with.

Ignore J or P listmaking vs. scheduling yadda yadda yadda. First, this is the shortcut. Do these six things and you will know if you are INFJ or INFP.

1. Confirm your Temperament. (make sure you're NF if you're unsure)
2. Determine whether you prefer Informing or Directing. (INFJ is directing, INFP is informing)
3. Choose which interaction style sounds most like you. (INFJ is chart-the-course, INFP is behind-the-scenes)
4. Decide whether your F energy first goes inward or outward. (INFP introverts feeling, INFJ extraverts feeling)
5. Consider your tertiary process -- are you drawn to clarifying or nostalgia? (INFP drawn to nostalgia through introverted sensing, INFJ drawn to clarifying through introverted thinking)
6. Determine which process you use "heroically." (INFJ uses introverted intuition, INFP uses introverted feeling)

Snow Turtle

The internal organisation is a better indicator of the J/P. Also depends how do you feel about being unorganised etc?

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Lucky you, there's a website just for this, INFPorINFJ? It provides dozens of ways to tell INFPs from INFJs. You may not agree with all of them, but odds are there is something in there that will click.

I'll edit this post in a bit with specific examples from that website that I agree with.

Ignore J or P listmaking vs. scheduling yadda yadda yadda. First, this is the shortcut. Do these six things and you will know if you are INFJ or INFP.

1. Confirm your Temperament. (make sure you're NF if you're unsure)
2. Determine whether you prefer Informing or Directing. (INFJ is directing, INFP is informing)
3. Choose which interaction style sounds most like you. (INFJ is chart-the-course, INFP is behind-the-scenes)
4. Decide whether your F energy first goes inward or outward. (INFP introverts feeling, INFJ extraverts feeling)
5. Consider your tertiary process -- are you drawn to clarifying or nostalgia? (INFP drawn to nostalgia through introverted sensing, INFJ drawn to clarifying through introverted thinking)
6. Determine which process you use "heroically." (INFJ uses introverted intuition, INFP uses introverted feeling)

Thanks a lot for that, I appreciate it. I read most of that site, and have to stick with INFP. Atlough I can see myself in parts of INFJ, INFP is the one I'm still clicking with the most. I think I just got slightly the wrong idea on the whole meaning of J. This website cleared that up for me though. Thanks again.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I would think that internal organization would point to a J.

:huh:

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
I would think that internal organization would point to a J.

:huh:

I go through that same thing girlfrommars describes. I react badly to being "ordered" or "controlled" by something external (like a schedule, a list, a clock, whatever), but I am full of controls and rules on the inside. This is one reason why I thought I was ISFJ for the longest time. Learning about the fact that INFPs have a judging function as their dominant and have extraverted thinking as their aspirational function helped me to understand this seeming "j-ness". I think introverts in general can be less adaptable to change in the environment and seek to control it by controlling themselves if they have to.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
I found a test I haven't done before.

Result:

Introverted (I) 62.86% Extroverted (E) 37.14%
Intuitive (N) 57.14% Sensing (S) 42.86%
Feeling (F) 65.52% Thinking (T) 34.48%
Perceiving (P) 60% Judging (J) 40%

So yeah.

Snow Turtle

I found a test I haven't done before.

Result:

Introverted (I) 62.86% Extroverted (E) 37.14%
Intuitive (N) 57.14% Sensing (S) 42.86%
Feeling (F) 65.52% Thinking (T) 34.48%
Perceiving (P) 60% Judging (J) 40%

So yeah.

You should do a functions test. :)

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I go through that same thing girlfrommars describes. I react badly to being "ordered" or "controlled" by something external (like a schedule, a list, a clock, whatever), but I am full of controls and rules on the inside. This is one reason why I thought I was ISFJ for the longest time. Learning about the fact that INFPs have a judging function as their dominant and have extraverted thinking as their aspirational function helped me to understand this seeming "j-ness". I think introverts in general can be less adaptable to change in the environment and seek to control it by controlling themselves if they have to.

Ahh. Okay, I sort of get it.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey.

Well, I've done a few of the tests, and came out INFP except once I came out INFJ. INFP seems to fit me very well, except one thing I'm a bit confused about. I'm not too organised /orderly on the outside - I leave everything to the last minute, putting things in lists of order actually upsets me - I feel like I'll miss somethint out, so I'm not good with lists. I used to be terrible with homework, usually always handing it in late. I'm terrible at making decisions.

Well, this post is very highly indicative of INFP, in my estimation. Your putting things off and poor planning/decision-making is about as characteristically P as it gets, and INFPs are typically not as physically organized as INFJs, in my experience.

BUT, here's the thing. Inside my head I would say I'm kind of organised, even obsessive often.:doh: I have to plan things out in my head. I'll plan what I'm going to say to someone, what I'm going to do, etc. I need to know what's going to happen, what time, where. I thought that was more of an INFJ thing?

According to the archetypal functional model, that's because INFPs tend to be strong in Fi (internal, unchanging sense of subjective ethics by which everything is judged), which is a judging function--hence the greater internal organization and weaker command of the external world. (INFP's strongest extraverted function, the one used to interact with the external world, is typically Ne, which is a perceiving function, and worse yet, it's also one that doesn't have the external physical environment especially in focus. Having a perceiving function as the one which you rely on primarily for interaction with the outside world would likely explain your lack of external organization.

Now, it may seem a bit odd that you're a P yet dominant in a judging function (Fi.) (Judging functions are Fi/Fe/Ti/Te and Perceiving functions are Ni/Ne/Si/Se.) This is because in MBTI, the P/J refers to whatever your strongest extraverted function is, not your dominant.

It just so happens that for Extraverts, the strongest extraverted function IS the dominant; that is why they're extraverted. But for Introverts, the strongest extraverted function is the auxiliary--in your case Ne--and that is the one that determines the P or J attitude observed by the outside world in your interactions with it, and thereby your fourth letter.

Any vibes from me? I am pushing more towards INFP, because most of it apllies very well. I'm just confused with this organised issue.:shock:

Thank you.

90% sure INFP.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks so much, simulated. I appreciate that. It's all very interesting. I will get the hang of these types eventually. :)

It will be interesting to see my functions results. But I'm...er....procrastinating right now. :laugh:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks so much, simulated. I appreciate that. It's all very interesting. I will get the hang of these types eventually. :)

It will be interesting to see my functions results. But I'm...er....procrastinating right now. :laugh:

Functions are a somewhat useful perspective from which to examine your own mental processes. They also further explain the 16 imaginary archetypes, which allows you to better approximate real people's types.

It's just important to remember that nobody really fits the molds perfectly, and many people are very near the borderlines between types. It's conceptually useful to understand what the functional terminology means, but remember that real human interaction is much more complex than this, and so attempting to read precise functions into the actions of others will always retain two key properties:

1) Speculative at best, and
2) Totally subservient to the firsthand knowledge provided by that person's subjective experience.

Basically, take the function stuff with a grain of salt. When you go past categorizing externalized behaviors in others, it gets very murky.