• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is this guy?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Please type this guy (sorry if it's slightly long):

Fun-loving guy, always making jokes/wise cracks, very witty. Likes having an audience for his jokes. Likes being around funny people, good company, sometimes says random stuff. Likes playing sports like basketball and volleyball. He's quite conscious and concerned about what other people think about him, and seems to like to go along with the crowd, likes being popular. Doesn’t like movies too much, gets somewhat bored with them.

Pretty laid back, he's in college, he hands in stuff on time, but he copies (and cheats on) homeworks, and the ones he does himself (rarely) are of poor quality. Rarely ever studies because he'd rather hang out with friends, doesn't like schoolwork. He wants to test the waters to see what he can get away with in school.

Has a great memory for details. Can be nervous around people he meets for the first time, but if he gets used to them, he’ll be very comfortable. Can be reluctant when it comes to meeting new people. Is energized around people he knows, especially if they’re funny. Is very different when by himself (vs. when around people). When he's with 1 or 2 other people, he'll be more quiet and more uncomfortable, even if they're people that he knows well. If he's in a crowd of people, he'll feel more comfortable, particularly if they are people he knows.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Possibly ISFJ or ISFP. In fact, I'd lean more toward ISFP. I's can enjoy performing (I do on occasion) for a crowd but get more nervous sometimes when actually face to face with new people. Especially if he's also reluctant to meet new people.

My ex is an ISFP and he's very funny, has a great detail for memory about what he's strongly interested in, but hates formal schooling and classes. He gets very nervous around new people, sometimes even says he hates strangers, but then can be extremely charming and entertaining when he's comfortable. He also had a problem with getting into trouble or "testing the waters" as you say when he was younger.

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
Possibly ISFJ or ISFP. In fact, I'd lean more toward ISFP. I's can enjoy performing (I do on occasion) for a crowd but get more nervous sometimes when actually face to face with new people. Especially if he's also reluctant to meet new people.

My ex is an ISFP and he's very funny, has a great detail for memory about what he's strongly interested in, but hates formal schooling and classes. He gets very nervous around new people, sometimes even says he hates strangers, but then can be extremely charming and entertaining when he's comfortable. He also had a problem with getting into trouble or "testing the waters" as you say when he was younger.

Well since you knew an ISFP intimately I can ask, are they more comfortable in a crowd than with 1 or 2 people? Because that was one of the details that made me lean towards ESFP, especially considering that this person

- likes being popular
- doesn't like movies (okay, that's just based on the ESFPs I know but it could be coincidence)
- uncomfortable when there aren't a bunch of people
- likes sports and people, but no indications of private creativity

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well since you knew an ISFP intimately I can ask, are they more comfortable in a crowd than with 1 or 2 people? Because that was one of the details that made me lean towards ESFP, especially considering that this person

- likes being popular
- doesn't like movies (okay, that's just based on the ESFPs I know but it could be coincidence)
- uncomfortable when there aren't a bunch of people
- likes sports and people, but no indications of private creativity

My ex likes being popular, but actually he loves movies - in fact that's his "thing" that he has a good memory for, he's incredibly visually gifted and collects "arty" and foreign and old horror films -and though he doesn't like sports, he likes things like weight lifting and watching fights.

Well, my experience as an "I" (grant you, I'm a weak I, but still an I) is that it was long, long easier for me to be on stage than to make new friends. My ex is sort of like that too, better with trying to entertain a crowd with his jokes than making new friends.

The OP doesn't say if this guy needs a certain amount of "alone time" to regularly charge his batteries. He could be an ESFP. The part about not liking to meet new people, and to prefer telling jokes to a large group instead of talking with one or two made me think he might be a weak I. I could be wrong!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESTP or ESFJ....I don't hear any evidence of Fi...

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Are you sure he's actually more comfortable in a larger group of people than with one or two? I'm guessing that if he's an E_ _ _, he's probably equally comfortable in both situations, but just might get more energized in a larger group.

Alternately, I have a very good INTP friend, who is very introverted (though I'm not saying your friend is INTP at all). He is is pretty quiet and laid back when he's with one or two people, but is the life of the party in a larger group. He calls it "putting on the show." He has said he learned to do it because it was expected of him at work-related functions and he now does so at anything resembling a party or gathering. HOWEVER, he doesn't keep the act up for long. He's good for maybe two hours at most and then will make a quiet exit and go home exhausted. But if I didn't know him as well as I did, I'd really think that large groups of people energized him, when in fact, it is exactly the opposite.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
ESFP? I thought more like ESTP. I think ESTP's care more what others think of them than ESFP's do. But I could be wrong. Any other opinions out there? Thanks, I do appreciate it a lot when I get the replies.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why would an ESTP theoretically care more about what people think about than an ESFP?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Why would an ESTP theoretically care more about what people think about than an ESFP?

I don't know, higher extroverted feeling. That's why I said I could be wrong. I'm hoping someone can answer these questions.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know, higher extroverted feeling. That's why I said I could be wrong. I'm hoping someone can answer these questions.

I actually agree with that, based on the ESTPs & ESFPs I know.

I think that an ESTP possessing Fe is a lot more concerned with what people think of them in a social sort of way. The ones I know find it very important for people to like them, not based on any deep emotional connection, but as a sign of their own social competence. They feel really good when they've schmoozed someone. On the other hand, you could say something very personally insulting and they tend to brush it off, as they aren't that emotionally sensitive.

An ESFP, however, will be out on the dance floor dancing crazy with their nose pierced and not care what anyone thinks of them. If they look goofy or offend more conservative people, they don't care. Status & reputation is not so important to them. However, say something about who they are as a person, such as a moral judgment, and they will feel it deeply and react, due to Fi. More personally sensitive than socially sensitive.

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
I actually agree with that, based on the ESTPs & ESFPs I know.

An ESFP, however, will be out on the dance floor dancing crazy with their nose pierced and not care what anyone thinks of them. If they look goofy or offend more conservative people, they don't care. Status & reputation is not so important to them. However, say something about who they are as a person, such as a moral judgment, and they will feel it deeply and react, due to Fi. More personally sensitive than socially sensitive.

This is true. For some reason I was assuming TheChosenOne knew that this guy cared about what people thought of him based on actual conversations with him. I've had so many ESFP friends that of course I know that, like all SPs, they want to make an impact on people, and they want to be noticed. And I know they care about what people think. But if you can see that just from observing him, and not because he's telling you he cares, then that does sound like an ESTP.