• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you think . . . ?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's supposed to be impossible to have an X in your type, so I'd be interested to hear what you think I am. Here are some traits that may or may not be useful:

-At least online, I tend not to get along too well with INTPs. It's a mystery why they would think so, but they seem to consider me too emo or touchy-feely. Or something like that. It's a little confusing to me.

-I have a keen eye for logical fallacies. I automatically sense when something a person says does not add up or when I'm presented with a weak argument. Armed by this and moral convictions, I used to be an active online debater and was pretty good at it, at least compared with my opponents. I no longer debate, though, because it all seems so trivial and subjective that there's no point in stirring up drama over it.

-I'm annoyed when people cling to rationality. I value reason as a tool, not as a box to put myself in. I use reason often, but reason is a means to focus my beliefs and imagination, and to analyze and predict things with, not an ideal or an end in itself and certainly not an arbiter of truth.

-In real life I have an aura of being serious and proper (there's something stereotypically British about it, although I'm American), tempered by a hint of gloominess. At the same time, I can be silly and eccentric, which is a side of me seen by few people.

-I'm fairly indifferent to society and larger groups, and far more concerned with the individual. In groups my natural instinct is to side with the underdog. I loathe herd mentality and have a tendency to be suspicious of groups and associations. My main problem with them is that they encourage conformity, which is something I hate. I also dislike the way groups tend to have little sympathy for those who don't fit in, particularly since I'm often in that position.

-My feelings are by far their strongest in relation to other people. When I'm by myself, I tend to run dry and go a little numb. I depend almost entirely on others for my emotions, which, since I'm isolated, means I'm emotionally dead most of the time.

-As an adolescent, I was sensitive, moody, and guided by values rather than logic. I've changed since then, so that I'm far more focused on logic. If I'm not a Thinker now, I'm close to it.

-My internal world is not very orderly. I don't relate to the people who describe there being structures and maps in their heads. I have a vague sense of frameworks and principles in my head, but they're more on a gut level than something tangible or prominent.

-While my cognitive processes suggest I'm a Perceiver, I almost always score as a J.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ, because of this:

I'm annoyed when people cling to rationality. I value reason as a tool, not as a box to put myself in. I use reason often, but reason is a means to focus my beliefs and imagination, and to analyze and predict things with, not an ideal or an end in itself and certainly not an arbiter of truth.

In real life I have an aura of being serious and proper

My feelings are by far their strongest in relation to other people. When I'm by myself, I tend to run dry and go a little numb. I depend almost entirely on others for my emotions, which, since I'm isolated, means I'm emotionally dead most of the time.

I have a vague sense of frameworks and principles in my head, but they're more on a gut level than something tangible or prominent.

I see Fe Ni from that. And feelers can be very rational and intelligent. INFJs often test INTP because of this.

klpi

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w5
I'm thinking infj as well.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I say INFJ, because you seem very in touch with your feelings. Plus the fact that you said you depend on others for your emotions is big. Stick a fork in this, it's done... INFJ.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds pretty INFJ to me.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a hard time seeing myself as an INFJ. Aren't INFJs supposed to be focused on trying to help society at large? To me, the least interesting thing is society and groups. It seems that the larger the collection of people, the less I'm inclined to care. It's also worth noting that I was in a more Feeler-ish mood when I made that post. I'm not always like that. It's just as often that I come off as emotionless and cerebral. Like so many of my traits, I'm torn between these two opposing sides, and it's hard to say which one is dominant or if one should even be called that.

Costrin said:
Don't even go there. I'll eat you for breakfast, although there are many excellent ESTPs and my father is one of them.

P

Phantonym

I have a hard time seeing myself as an INFJ. Aren't INFJs supposed to be focused on trying to help society at large? To me, the least interesting thing is society and groups. It seems that the larger the collection of people, the less I'm inclined to care. It's also worth noting that I was in a more Feeler-ish mood when I made that post. I'm not always like that. It's just as often that I come off as emotionless and cerebral. Like so many of my traits, I'm torn between these two opposing sides, and it's hard to say which one is dominant or if one should even be called that.

Browse through this monstrosity of a thread - You know you're an INFJ when...

I can guarantee that you'll be as confused as ever. Some things you'll probably relate to and some things seem pretty strange. But they don't call us complex for nothing.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Browse through this monstrosity of a thread - You know you're an INFJ when...

I can guarantee that you'll be as confused as ever. Some things you'll probably relate to and some things seem pretty strange. But they don't call us complex for nothing.
I've actually already browsed that thread quite a bit because it occurred to me that I might be an INFJ (albeit an unhealthy one). And that's exactly it: there are a lot of things in that thread that made me smile knowingly, and there are a lot of things in it that seem foreign. At this point I'm seriously considering the possibility I'm an INFJ. My only misgiving is my cognitive processes. I can explain the weak Fe with the fact that I've been isolated for several years. It's harder for me to explain the strong Fi and the sturdy Si. I also question how strong my Ni is, because I don't have spiritual visions, omens, and all of that. My experience with Ni is a million times more mundane, like what Lenore Thompson describes (which is spot-on for me).

klpi

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think Ni means you get those sort of spiritual vision things - the link you provided seems a much more accurate description. Taken from the infjorinfp.com website: "If you want to be an INFJ because you like all that fanciful stuff Keirsey wrote about them being psychic, it's high time you learned that studies show it's the NFPs who are most likely to display what is known as premonition!"

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I've actually already browsed that thread quite a bit because it occurred to me that I might be an INFJ (albeit an unhealthy one). And that's exactly it: there are a lot of things in that thread that made me smile knowingly, and there are a lot of things in it that seem foreign. At this point I'm seriously considering the possibility I'm an INFJ. My only misgiving is my cognitive processes. I can explain the weak Fe with the fact that I've been isolated for several years. It's harder for me to explain the strong Fi and the sturdy Si. I also question how strong my Ni is, because I don't have spiritual visions, omens, and all of that. My experience with Ni is a million times more mundane, like what Lenore Thompson describes (which is spot-on for me).

Introverted intuition as I understand it isn't only about having visions, predictions, etc. Your link shows that, and so does this one: Introverted iNtuiting

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I'm now ready to label myself an NF. Intellect is important to me, but only because it empowers me to reach my ideals and is an ideal itself. You could say I'm an NF by way of NT. So I've eliminated my X . . . only to have it show up next door. I'm not anywhere near as convinced as the rest of you that I'm an INFJ. This might be because I know myself better, and it might be because I'm wrong. My main scruple in labeling myself a J is that my values are internal, not external. I was watching an interview between an INFP and an INFJ, and I was surprised when the INFJ said that she's out of touch with her feelings and focused instead on other people's. I found that very foreign to my way of processing things. When I'm among other people, my Feeling does dissolve into theirs, but I still retain a sense of my values and emotions, and I'm reluctant to sweep them under the rug.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In that case go with what I said before when your type was debated and go with INFP. What you described initially sounded INFJ more than INFP though, but as you said, you yourself know you better than us. Any other detail you can provide would be good though. Plus you initially identified as INXP, so one can infer that you decided on the P dichotomy over the J.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All right, suppose I call myself an INFP. How do I explain the Ni-Ti, then?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe you are just an INFJ very well in touch with their feelings? That shouldn't be the one thing that determines it. If you didn't already know about this site, here you go. INFJ or INFP? a closer look

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I'm now ready to label myself an NF. Intellect is important to me, but only because it empowers me to reach my ideals and is an ideal itself. You could say I'm an NF by way of NT. So I've eliminated my X . . . only to have it show up next door. I'm not anywhere near as convinced as the rest of you that I'm an INFJ. This might be because I know myself better, and it might be because I'm wrong. My main scruple in labeling myself a J is that my values are internal, not external. I was watching an interview between an INFP and an INFJ, and I was surprised when the INFJ said that she's out of touch with her feelings and focused instead on other people's. I found that very foreign to my way of processing things. When I'm among other people, my Feeling does dissolve into theirs, but I still retain a sense of my values and emotions, and I'm reluctant to sweep them under the rug.

While your initial posting sounded like a dead ringer for INFJ, this sounds very Ne; all this back & forth & pondering the options.

Have you visited the INFP globalchatter and INFJ forum?
Read around each and see what forum has more people talking the way you do. I found that very helpful in finalizing myself as an INFP.
A word of warning...if you show doubt about being INFJ at the INFJ site, they will automatically peg you as INFP :D. And check this thread out on INFJs vs INFPs...if their negative stereotyping of INFPs angers you, then you may be an INFP :D.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe you are just an INFJ very well in touch with their feelings? That shouldn't be the one thing that determines it. If you didn't already know about this site, here you go. INFJ or INFP? a closer look
That's the website where I watched the interview, actually, so I was one step ahead of you. I'll give some brief commentary on the articles I skimmed.

- My communication style is usually informing. (INFP.)

- I like to show affection on a personalized basis, not in accordance to social convention, which feels a little fake. (INFP)

- I'm undecided about my type. (INFP)

- I'm comfortable with disclosing personal details, even to people I don't know well. (INFJ)

- I use Ti much more than Si. (INFJ)

- I tend to be certain of my beliefs, rather than questioning. (INFJ)

- I orient myself in terms of "I" rather than "we." (INFP)

- Given a choice to give up either intuition or feeling, my instinct is to say feeling, as painful as that would be. (INFJ)

- I relate more to Ni than Ne. (INFJ)

- I relate more to Fi than Fe. (INFP)

In other words, the tie has yet to be broken.

Edited to respond to OrangeAppled.

I wasn't able to read your third link because it's restricted to members of that forum. As far as which of the two types I talk more like . . . that would be a great question to ask you and everyone else in this thread. For my part, I think I talk a bit more like INFJs. INFPs tend to be a little more exuberant and emoticon-ish than I am.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As far as which of the two types I talk more like . . . that would be a great question to ask you and everyone else in this thread. For my part, I think I talk a bit more like INFJs. INFPs tend to be a little more exuberant and emoticon-ish than I am.

Some INFPs type very formally, although INFJs are more likely to express themselves that way. I was suggesting to get a feel for the sentiments expressed also, not just typing style. There will be overall differences in the way thoughts/feelings are expressed between the types and the actual thoughts/feelings; the more you read of each, the clearer the divide is.