• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Let me try this again...

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
My dilemma: deciding on whether or not I am an ISTP or an ISFP.

Depending on what test I take, my Fi can be stronger than my Ti, or my Ti can be stronger than my Fi. They are both my top two cognitive functions, which doesn't really make sense, considering that Fi should be foreign to an ISTP, and Ti should be foreign to an ISFP.

Help? :cry:

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
maybe you have both, just like me. in which case, it would make you an ISXP

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which overall profile do you relate to?

I test INTP as much as I test INFP (if not more), but the INFP profile & other INFPs strike a chord with me that INTPs do not.

/DG/

maybe you have both, just like me. in which case, it would make you an ISXP

Ehh, I suppose...

Which overall profile do you relate to?

I test INTP as much as I test INFP (if not more), but the INFP profile & other INFPs strike a chord with me that INTPs do not.

Both really. It's difficult to choose between them.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My dilema: deciding on whether or not I am an ISTP or an ISFP.

Depending on what test I take, my Fi can be stronger than my Ti, or my Ti can be stronger than my Fi. They are both my top two cognitive functions, which doesn't really make sense, considering that Fi should be foreign to an ISTP, and Ti should be foreign to an ISFP.

Help? :cry:

When you test for functions what you're testing for is the function strength, not the use. It's impossible to have both in the dominant slot. X types just can't exist.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
First off, where are the descriptions of Ti and Fi that you've read? If you're having this much confusion then the descriptions are obviously not good, of the functions and of the types, because ISTPs and ISFPs are very different.

What type descriptions can you relate to more? ISTP or ISFP?

I've seen what you've typed in other threads, and you seem to have a hard time believing that you have good Te (I'm pretty much set on you being ISFP). Is this what's causing most of your confusion? Being unable to put yourself in a box like the rest of the crowd? You don't have to be exactly like them. I can't relate to many other INFPs, if you can't relate to ISFPs then that's fine. You can just be different. Just so you know my Te is good as well, and that's caused me to sometimes doubt it, but eh not really anymore.

I think you may be confused for another reason, do you communicate in a T way? It's very possible to be an F and communicate like a T (I do this). Just because you act a certain way doesn't mean you're a certain type, what's on the inside is what matters.

I linked this in another thread of yours, but here it is again. http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-duper-typology-overview-doom.html#post603900

Which of these can you relate to more? (Again linked in other thread)

Fi- Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for.

Ti- Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarying definitions to get more precision

EDIT: I'm not being rude mentioning the other threads, I'm saying it because maybe you could read what you and others said and perhaps find some clarity there. Hint, hint. :newwink:

/DG/

But isn't the third dichotomy based on decision-making? I don't base my desicions off of Fi.

*edit* I did read some of the thread and I have some key info copied down in notpad documents. :tongue: It's just difficult for me. I realize that I'm probably being very frustrating also. :cheese:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But isn't the third dichotomy based on decision-making? I don't base my desicions off of Fi.

:shock: That seems over simplified. You can't type yourself like that, that doesn't really work... I did it purely by functions, since as I've said I can't relate to many INFP profiles out there.

I make decisions based on logical reasoning usually, what the best thing would be to do based on logic. If something doesn't require that I do that then I'll go to what I feel like doing. I know that I have Fi because I am highly empathetic, have values, basically the whole shebang for Fi. Anything impersonal has Te applied to it. I consider my highest value to be logic as well, and being logical about the impersonal things in life. I generally think that if you make a decision that's impersonal based off of how you feel and that only then things will go bad. You need a nice balance, what makes sense and what works out for you.

So in short, I don't really base my decisions off of Fi, not entirely. It's voice will always be there, but I try to be logical about things at the same time.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
:shock: That seems over simplified. You can't type yourself like that, that doesn't really work... I did it purely by functions, since as I've said I can't relate to many INFP profiles out there.

then what makes you so certain you are INFP? i would be inclined to believe descriptions of a type more than function order.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
then what makes you so certain you are INFP? i would be inclined to believe descriptions of a type more than function order.

I said not all. Most of them are fluffy, "puppies and unicorns", etc. Saying that we lack Te, all of this other crap. There have been a few that have been good, with most profiles it's just been bits and pieces that I can relate to. Plus nothing else fits.

Functions are just better, since for profiles they are too specific and not broad enough usually, and with function order it's not broad and the person can relate to them a lot easier.

/DG/

Okay then how about this... I'm getting nowhere with Fi and Ti, so why don't we start comparing Ti with Te now?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay then how about this... I'm getting nowhere with Fi and Ti, so why don't we start comparing Ti with Te now?

Here's a few quick definitions-

Ordering; organizing for efficiency; systematzing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters, deciding if something is working or not

The parts of that that I can personally relate to are "applying logic", "checking for consequences", "deciding if something is working or not". On a lesser note "structuring", "monitoring for standards...", "setting boundaries...". Etc.

Te also has an "all or nothing" way of manifesting itself in the IFPs, especially when we're pressured. We may temporarily shift modes of function to Te entirely. This is a last resort thing, when it comes out in a burst.

Sorry, but the main site that has the good descriptions of things is down right now. :doh:

/DG/

Here's a few quick definitions-

Ordering; organizing for efficiency; systematzing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters, deciding if something is working or not

Okay, now let's compare it to the basic definition for Ti....

Ti - Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarying definitions to get more precision

I guess I really do relate to Te more than Ti. But it's sort of because I don't really understand it when someone tries to explain Ti to me. But somehow I always score fairly high with Ti on cognitive processes tests.

BlackCat said:
Sorry, but the main site that has the good descriptions of things is down right now. :doh:

Haha. No problem-o. :D

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your type is YOUNG. Not Jung. :jew:

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
So I was called to describe functions n stuff. Weeeeeee.

So... Ti n Te. Well BC linked mah Ti description...

So Te, unlike Ti is not concerned with figuring things out, with a full understanding of things work. Rather, it is concerned with developing a system for efficient interaction. Developing shared logic, terms, principles, rules etc so that one does not have to rely on subjective personal experience. Money is a Te system. It assigns an objective value to things so that people can trade goods, materials, work, etc efficiently. It creates a system with as few ambiguities as possible so that there will be no misunderstandings and so that people can let the system take care of things and they can enjoy life. Creating and adhering to a schedule would be Te. The schedule ensures that you accomplish what you want to accomplish.

Fe is similiar, but with human interaction. It develops group values and ways of communication that is shared by all so that people can understand and relate to each other. It tells you what to do in certain situations so that there would be no confusion and so that each individuals subjective experiences do not cause misunderstandings. Giving presents to someone on their birthday is an Fe thing. The act shows that you care about the person, and conversely, not giving them a gift shows that you don't care. etc, etc.

/DG/

*Ugh* I'm so bad at this. Would one of you mind giving some examples in which Fi, Ti, and Te can be used in comparison to one another?