• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Here we go again: the biggest differences between ISTP and ISFP

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Okay, so the other thread established that i am definitely a P type.

Now another thing has crossed my mind, that i might be T instead of F

so i ask you once again: What are the biggest differences between ISTP and ISFP (besides the obvious thinker/feeler label)

thanks ;)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(isfp)

I think the biggest thing is they're a lot more easy-going. I like to think I am but things still bug me.

They seem on average more social, although of course you have I/E mixed up there.

If they're mad at you they typically won't tell you, at least until it's a huge problem (at least the ones I know). Mind you I tend to do that too, so I'm not sure what the typical istp would do.

talk to the isxps here, or maybe read some of their blogs. I find a lot of that kinda stuff tends to come out there...

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
They tend to have different interests. Even if they share interests, their reasons for doing them are different. The ISTP tends to like things that they have a natural affinity for, because being good at what they do is very important to them. The ISFP doesn't care as much about whether or not they are better than the next guy, as long as they are having fun.

IME, ISFPs are more likely to be sexual variants, in Enneagram terms, while ISTPs are more likely to be self-preservation.

Keep in mind I am speaking only from my own experience and not from some kind of grand knowledge of MBTI.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I asked the same question myself once. Here is the thread ISTP/ISFP.

What i got out of that thread was, that ISFP's are semi-idealistic based on the quotes there (Love is the answer, Man has a right to be free etc.). I would never say that, or even think it.

They tend to have different interests. Even if they share interests, their reasons for doing them are different. The ISTP tends to like things that they have a natural affinity for, because being good at what they do is very important to them. The ISFP doesn't care as much about whether or not they are better than the next guy, as long as they are having fun.

IME, ISFPs are more likely to be sexual variants, in Enneagram terms, while ISTPs are more likely to be self-preservation.

Keep in mind I am speaking only from my own experience and not from some kind of grand knowledge of MBTI.

Interests, hmm. Number one would pretty much be videogames, followed by music. The "being good at what they do is very important to them" quote applies perfectly to me.

As for the enneagram, i think that i'm a six, but i have no idea of variants whatsoever.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
What i got out of that thread was, that ISFP's are semi-idealistic

Hah semi-idealistic, yes I like it, that fits.

It's hard trying to work it out with interests, I have very similar interests as some of the ISTPs in my family and I have been strongly influenced by them and my _STP friends growing up.

I would say generally ISTPs are natural mechanics or at least inclined that way and ISFPs are better suited to "fuzzier" activities like art.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I would say generally ISTPs are natural mechanics or at least inclined that way and ISFPs are better suited to "fuzzier" activities like art.

I love art.. I could never make anything like that though.

As for the mechanics thing, i am a natural at setting up TVs and computers(on the software side of things). But i find, that in school (i despise school btw) i don't understand anything about building webpages and things that i need to learn from a teacher etc. So i guess, if it's anything that i can learn by myself and can find the will to do so, i will. But not through the education system.

The biggest problem for me is just that; having the will to keep going

Okay, a quick example. Over the last two years, i have been wanting to getting into producing music (electronic, mostly). I don't play an instrument, but i have alot of ideas that i feel would work. During these two years, i have tried about 6 times or such to really "get into it", and begin reading alot of tutorials so i could understand the complex software that you have to use. But as english is not my first language and with all the theory that you have to learn i VERY quickly become discouraged (you might even say demoralized) and give up.

that is my worst quality, giving up too easily when i don't see any quick results (except for things that i have already mastered)

anyway, i hope this helps a little :huh:

warm8

MBTI Type
ESFP
you sound just like me my man! it's not very fun if I'm not good at it, I 'm good at fixing things, give up easily, etc.

hell, I even make electronic music! La Jolla on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads ;)
my advice on the music part is to not get involved with all those tutorials. I find it's really hard to make myself get interested in something. just open up one of those programs and experiment experiment experiment until you learn a lot by yourself. then when you feel you're ready, read some of those tutorials and blend those techniques in with your own.

wolfy

awsm
my advice on the music part is to not get involved with all those tutorials. I find it's really hard to make myself get interested in something. just open up one of those programs and experiment experiment experiment until you learn a lot by yourself. then when you feel you're ready, read some of those tutorials and blend those techniques in with your own.

That's how I learn too.

Shelovesyoumaybe

MBTI Type
INFP
Honestly, my opinion may be biased but from what I've read, I have a gut feeling that you're ISFP. You remind of a ISFP I know...a LOT. (which is a good thing! :))

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I never met an isfp that didnt think out of the box ! Though everything they do, is chained to it.

Its a rare and precious quality to see an istp coming to the conclusion to think out of the box. In my opinion thats the moment, you can call them friends, cause they just called you one.

I am totally overinterpretating it cause I am drunk. Therefore the said above is motivated by alot of feeling + I am drunk !

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Honestly, my opinion may be biased but from what I've read, I have a gut feeling that you're ISFP. You remind of a ISFP I know...a LOT. (which is a good thing! :))

What have i said that made you think that i could be ISFP?

I'm asking because right now, i'm leaning towards ISTP I have no idea :(... damn

you sound just like me my man! it's not very fun if I'm not good at it, I 'm good at fixing things, give up easily, etc.

hell, I even make electronic music! La Jolla on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads ;)

The stuff on your myspace sounds pretty awesome man, very relaxing :D

Thanks for the tips, i'll try to get my head around it (any software you could recommend?)

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
So...

I have been reading around on various sites today, and i wonder if i could be INTP?

Is it even possible to mistype yourself so many times? (four times so far :()

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
ISTPs are more direct and to-the-point than ISFPs (not talking about the internet, but offline). So it shouldn't be hard to figure out if you're one or the other of those.

When getting things done with others, ISTPs often make the mistake of rushing to action, while ISFPs, INFPs, and INTPs try to control the outcome too much and become perfectionistic.

INTPs are not particularly attuned to the motives of other people, nor do they talk about it or care about it that much. ISTPs, INFPs, and ISFPs all care about motives more, and tend to think they're pretty good at ascertaining the motives of others.