• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Folks in Need of Typing!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Okay, so I have two friends whose types I am unsure of. When I first met them, which was recently, I thought I had a clear picture of their types. But now that I've gotten to know them better, I seem to have lost my hold. I've met a lot of INXX types since coming to graduate school, which is an interesting change. These are the only letters I'm pretty sure about for them.

Friend 1:
-Is really quiet. In groups she tends only to speak when spoken to.
-Is very funny and quite charming when in a smaller group.
-Has an odd sense of humor (like my own). Tends to point out funny things that she's seen throughout the day (we have a great time talking about the crazy people we've seen on the buses).
-Makes a lot of "people dying" type jokes. A bit morbid.
-Her writing style seems pretty logical. No frills, though sometimes there is the occasional snarky or pointed sentence.
-Can seem really lost in thought, to the point that people think she's dumb because she never knows what's going on.
-Gestures with her hands heavily.
-Seems to have pretty precise thoughts on paper, but in speaking situations people think she's dumb because she bumbles and doesn't say clearly what she means.

-Can sometimes seem sad and out of reach. Hard to figure out her thoughts or feelings.
-Standoffish.
-Is alone most of the time.
-Very unscheduled and flexible. Laid back.
-Genuine.
-Visual thinker.
-Rarely expresses emotion, except sometimes can have little intense moments of anger or annoyance. In these cases, she angles her head down and says something rude under her breath.
-Sometimes I think she's secretly sensitive, but would die before showing that side to anybody.
-Is quite comfortable making fun of and criticizing others.
-Doesn't understand how she comes off to others a lot.

Friend 2:
-Is quiet, but not as quiet as friend 1. Will talk to fill what she deems "awkward silence," even if she doesn't want to talk or has nothing to say.
-Has intense interests that she will relate everything to, and takes it personally when you don't like it too. Don't you dare say anything against her favorite subjects!
-Has trouble separating herself from statements and ideas. Sees criticism of ideas as a personal attack (and we're in academia! For shame!).
-Can be moody and self-absorbed.
-Can be snappy in speech sometimes.
-Likes to be alone
-Is not spontaneous (she is the un-spontaneous).
-Is sweet most of the time.

-Writing style is intuitive and mildly poetic.
-Is very serious and somber. Takes jokes badly sometimes, and even when she doesn't, there still isn't a good effect. She will chuckle, but in a knowing (har har) way instead of genuinely belly-laughing at anything.
-Is always willing to help others.
-It can sometimes be oppressive being around her...like she casts this weird mood over everything.
-It is sometimes unnerving how well she can tell my feelings. I feel like she sees through me all the time.
-Can be judgmental.

So what do you guys think, from the descriptions I've given?

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
Your first friend seems like an INTP to me, though she could easily be an ISTP.

Your second friend strikes me as an INFJ, though some of her mannerisms would suggest that she is extraverted.

In short:

Friend 1: INTP/ISTP
Friend 2: INFJ/ENFJ

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Friend 1: IXTP, leaning towards ISTP
Friend 2: XNFJ, leaning towards INFJ

Good descriptions of both, by the way, Orangey. :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Your first friend seems like an INTP to me, though she could easily be an ISTP.

Your second friend strikes me as an INFJ, though some of her mannerisms would suggest that she is extraverted.

In short:

Friend 1: INTP/ISTP
Friend 2: INFJ/ENFJ

Hey, thanks for the input, Ender! INTP was my first thought for friend 1, but I have had my doubts. Mostly because:

-She's super-vague in her speech. And I think she gets embarrassed when it dawns on her that no one is understanding what she's saying, and then she just gets quiet the rest of the time.
-I've never seen her argue for fun. It just seems like she'd get lost.
-She is very melancholy, possibly more so than me. But not in a "woe is my life" sort of way (she would never say stuff like that, lol), but more in a generalized sadness. When she is communicating, however, she seems pretty cheery.
-Can be giggly. And sometimes doesn't know the motivations of others, so she comes off as naive.

I don't think she's ISTP, but I could be wrong. She likes to talk about really wacky stuff if she's feeling chatty, and vague abstractness is her signature speaking style. She has little awareness of her appearance or of the world around her unless she's isolated and forced to look at stuff. I've seen her go from seeing absolutely nothing around us to noticing little random details. She is weird.

As for friend 2, INFJ was what I thought as well. I don't think she's an E...she is VERY low energy, and it's like pulling teeth to get her to go anywhere other than coffee shops for a couple of hours on weekends! What made me doubt about her being INFJ is the following:

-She could be really bitchy, to the point of being outright mean. This depending on her mood (I thought INFJs were typically a little more stable than that).
-She is rigid.
-Sometimes her intense personal interests and values make her seem Fi.

But actually, reading this back to myself, I find that none of my objection criteria is really compelling reason to doubt the types I'd originally given them. LOL. I psyche myself out sometimes.

Well, now I finally can say that I know another INTP female. And two INFJs. Yay.

Edit: Thanks everyone! I see that there is a general strand of agreement, at least on the last two letters.
(And thanks, colors! I have pretty detailed observations of people that I like, but mostly because I analyze the hell out of them, haha).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Also, to add some complicating data (now that I remember it):

Friend 1:

-Tends to assume that people dislike her. Even under that assumption, she doesn't act like she cares about it anyway.
-Can be a bit sullen. Becomes bitter, and likes to complain a lot.
-Is very self-effacing and doubtful of her own opinions (except a couple of times, but it's rare that she'll defend a point to the bitter end).
-Changes her mind easily.
-I have twice now (in a year) gotten glimpses of what I perceive as her being emotionally overwhelmed...she is usually fleeing the scene during these times, though.
-Is very nice. Never really an asshole to her friends at all. Is actually never really an asshole to anybody openly. But she is not even a secret asshole to friends.
-Not really well-liked. Which is a shame, as she is smart and funny.
-Is not in a relationship and never talks about being in one or having been in one (one reason why I like her so much, haha).

Friend 2:

-Can be cold and abrasive sometimes (actually, more often than friend 1).
-Complains about how she doesn't have a life, yet doesn't want to take action to change this fact.
-Is really bad with the opposite sex...if she likes someone, she tends to insult them and/or go into intellectual competition mode. Afterwards she wonders why she acted that way.
-Can be remarkably frank about some things (that most people are not frank about), but reticent and indirect about other things. I can't yet tell what the criteria for being one or the other is.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
is this a test or something, to see how people respond? cuz i gotta tell ya, there's something fishy about your OP.... friend 1 and friend 2 are categorically similar while descriptively different. I feel like you're fishing for a Forer effect or something!! :p

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Apart from a couple of points, I think your description of Friend 1 could have described me pretty accurately in my twenties (I've changed a bit since then, though). I'd say INTP.

Friend 2, I have no idea.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
is this a test or something, to see how people respond? cuz i gotta tell ya, there's something fishy about your OP.... friend 1 and friend 2 are categorically similar while descriptively different. I feel like you're fishing for a Forer effect or something!! :p

Haha, no, I can see why you might think that, though! These are real people whom I've just met this year. Lots of similar personality types in academia. Friend 2 gets on my nerves sometimes, though.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
well i nthat case, my guess is INTP for 1 and ISFJ for 2