• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or ISFJ?

S

Sniffles

Last night on Vent, I was having a discussion with INTJMom and she remarked that in many ways I seemed more ISFJ than INFJ in nature.

I was really caught off guard by that, since that's literally the first time anybody has ever classifed me as an SJ.

So I'm just asking for any second opinions, especially from members here who have gotten to know me better.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Don't worry Peguy, one of your American presidents was an ISFJ: William Howard Taft, no less. :)

All is not lost.

If it's any consolation you might just have a ISFJ shadow on vent. Or maybe ISFJ with a INFJ shadow?

Either way, I'd have picked a more interesting shadow (ESFP, for example). That sounds like alot of fun.

I look forward to hearing from the new Peguy!

:)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dunno, but you've always reminded me of what I think my dad must have been like when younger, and if he were actually into foruming and didn't scoff at mbti! :laugh: I've recently decided my dad is an IxFJ -- and rather lean towards ISFJ, as he is very deliberate and on top of things and reasonable and not driven to flights of fancy. He's extremely intelligent and didn't have an FJ-type career at all (ended up being a senior economic analyst), was in the navy, is very much into reading/learning about history and watching all of those history-type and war-related shows on tv, and reading about all of that and educating himself. Also into science. He loves to learn. He has a great memory. His church life and volunteering has become more important to him as he's gotten older. I think he has a strong sense of honor and of 'doing the right thing' in life, and being a good human being. For the longest time I thought he was a T but in hindsight that makes me laugh, as he has a lot of Fe. It's just that male versions of Fe and ISFJ/INFJ can be quite different from female versions.

Sorry I went and started talking about my dad! Bottom line is I don't know you well enough to make the call. You strike me as walking a slightly different line from other INFJ's on here...something about your thought processes and the way you present things...but that honestly might not mean a thing, as there are many flavors of INFJ's to begin with and I could say that about a lot of them on here, including myself. :laugh: Maybe something to look into and explore - you'll either decide you are in fact ISFJ, or you'll decide there's no way in hell you are, and you're INFJ like you thought all along! ;-)

S

Sniffles

You strike me as walking a slightly different line from other INFJ's on here...something about your thought processes and the way you present things..

Interesting, could you explain in more detail what you mean? Anja made the remark that I'm always straddling between feeling and thinking.

Maybe something to look into and explore - you'll either decide you are in fact ISFJ, or you'll decide there's no way in hell you are, and you're INFJ like you thought all along! ;-)

Well I always test INFP on various tests, so who knows.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
An SJ, eh? Now your posts in the Politics subforum are starting to make sense.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Do you naturally find the INTJ or ISTJ more difficult to understand?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting, could you explain in more detail what you mean?

Again, I haven't followed many/most threads you've posted in, so please keep that in mind. But from the posts I've read of yours, you seem to be less apt to go off onto tangents. More of a straight line of thought, without too many embellishments or random linkages. Language is not overly colorful (this isn't a bad thing, just something I have noticed), it is direct and more to the point.

There's also more of a formality about you.

S

Sniffles

Do you naturally find the INTJ or ISTJ more difficult to understand?

In many ways yes. With INTJs, I can see their point somewhat but I view things from a slightly different perspective - which I guess would be more F in nature.

As I often say, I would like to agree with them but in good conscience can't.

maliafee

INFJs feel like a mystery. ISFJs do not. INFJs are very vengeful, ISFJs tend not to be. INFJs tend to announce what they do for others if it's not appreciated, ISFJs quietly do for others and keep their mouths shut about it. Any help?

S

Sniffles

INFJs feel like a mystery. ISFJs do not. INFJs are very vengeful, ISFJs tend not to be. INFJs tend to announce what they do for others if it's not appreciated, ISFJs quietly do for others and keep their mouths shut about it. Any help?

In many ways yes, except for the first point about INFJs being a mystery while ISFJs are not.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I'm drifting towards ISFJ...

As you say, I somewhat understand ISFJ, but it's largely enigmatic.

So the theory goes, ISFJ/INTJ relations are one of mutual enigma.

Not that this solidly proves anything. :)

maliafee

In many ways yes, except for the first point about INFJs being a mystery while ISFJs are not.

Well you know, everyone's a mystery. But INFJs are certain no one could ever really understand them (because they feel unsure of who they are MAYBE more than any other type). ISFJs jump at the chance to feel understood and often do in the company of even slightly similarly-minded people.

S

Sniffles

Well you know, everyone's a mystery. But INFJs are certain no one could ever really understand them (because they feel unsure of who they are MAYBE more than any other type). ISFJs jump at the chance to feel understood and often do in the company of even slightly similarly-minded people.

That doesn't really help, since I notice INFJs jump at the chance of being understood as well. At least that's how it is with my personal interactions with them.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know you that well but you definitely seem iNtuitive to me, either INfJ or INtJ. People just say you're an SJ because you have strong unwavering conservative views on things that they'd rather you to change your stance on, and of course you won't change your stance, but you're always game for a discussion about it (like any good iNtuitive). The thing is, SJs arent the only type with conservative views that they stick to. Most INTJs are conservative as well. The idealistic side of you is what makes you seem like a feeler but I get a strong thinker vibe from you too. Maybe you're a balanced T/F. Anyways, the biggest thing to me that makes you seem intuitive is that it's clear to me that you adore ideas and discussing ideas.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I know that you probably don't value my opinion much but I will offer you my opinon anyway.

Since you are someone who was many times on the opposite side of me it occured to me "What if Peguy is actually SJ?" Which is because your approach is SJish when you argue things you are passion about.
Which is mostly because your positions are unusually conservative for me.

But there is a realistic chance that you would not even try to debate me (or someone else) in the case you are really SJ.
Not to mention that some of your posts are too bizzare/rude to come from typical SJ.

Also there is a fact that you know yourself best. If you think you are N and people in real think so then you probably are N.
Internet usually distorts personality to a large degree so just because someone found some of your claims to be sensorish that doesn't mean that you are actually S. Especially since no one is 100% anything.

Is it impossibe that you are actually S ?
No, it is not impossible. (at least from my perspective)

maliafee

That doesn't really help, since I notice INFJs jump at the chance of being understood as well. At least that's how it is with my personal interactions with them.

Yes they do, but they revel in their mystery.

Okay, also: if you have obligations that aren't that serious do you fulfill them anyway, even if you really don't want to at all, and do you fulfill them consistently? ISFJ would say yes, INFJ would say they often try to get out of it.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJs are very vengeful, ISFJs tend not to be. INFJs tend to announce what they do for others if it's not appreciated, ISFJs quietly do for others and keep their mouths shut about it.

I've known vengeful ISFJs. ISFJs are a diverse group.
And I don't tend to announce what I do for others since I'm not fond of lots of attention. Many times I have done something for others and never mentioned a peep about it. Because mentioning it would make it seem like a big deal or like I wasn't happy to do something for another person, and that is not true. I can't speak for all INFJs, but announcement of good deeds isn't something I've noticed with them either.

To the OP: I have no idea what your type is, but I think you're a nice guy :)

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I don't know you that well but you definitely seem iNtuitive to me, either INfJ or INtJ. People just say you're an SJ because you have strong unwavering conservative views on things that they'd rather you to change your stance on, and of course you won't change your stance, but you're always game for a discussion about it (like any good iNtuitive). The thing is, SJs arent the only type with conservative views that they stick to. Most INTJs are conservative as well. The idealistic side of you is what makes you seem like a feeler but I get a strong thinker vibe from you too. Maybe you're a balanced T/F. Anyways, the biggest thing to me that makes you seem intuitive is that it's clear to me that you adore ideas and discussing ideas.

Hehe!

What if Peguy is an INTJ?:devil:

All together now...
YouTube - Gloria Gaynor - I am What I am

maliafee

I've known vengeful ISFJs. ISFJs are a diverse group.
And I don't tend to announce what I do for others since I'm not fond of lots of attention. Many times I have done something for others and never mentioned a peep about it. Because mentioning it would make it seem like a big deal or like I wasn't happy to do something for another person, and that is not true. I can't speak for all INFJs, but announcement of good deeds isn't something I've noticed with them either.

To the OP: I have no idea what your type is, but I think you're a nice guy :)

Sorry if I got it wrong -- I only meant INFJs might announce what they did if they weren't being appreciated, in order to show the other person the error of their ways. But I could be incorrect.

ISFJs may have vengeful thoughts or exact revenge to stand up for someone, but rarely have the elaborate revenge fantasies for years like INFJs I've known.

Again, I'm not either, so I could be wrong.