• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Analyze this.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Thanks. I find it hard not to get boggled down with details about the types but after devouring the Best Fit Types descriptions, I find I relate more to ESTP (especially the leading style). ENTPs seem too relationship-oriented and strategic for my taste. When I deal with people, I don't always relate to them on a... human level. It becomes more about their skills and quality of work they can produce. This sounds like an STP trait (or a dictator's characteristic, but I'm gonna ignore that).
Interesting Spaghetti, especially the last part. I think that ESTPs, from my reading, will lead however they do not like to supervise. ETJs like leading that calls for supervising others. They cherish the responsibility of being in charge and taking care of others. ETPs want to lead but find the constant supervising of others a drain and a hindrance of their freedom to come and go as they choose. Therefore their leadership qualities are different. You may have read these, but below is how ESTP, ENTP and ISTP work on a team:
How ESTPs Approach Work
They have a tendency to take charge of a situation, especially if no one else is acting and making things happen. They will push the limits to get the results they want. They want to keep their options open; therefore, freedom from rigid role assignments and too many constraints will keep them involved. Otherwise, constraints and limits become challenges to work around rather than guidelines for success.

How ENTPs Approach Doing Work
They will want a fair amount of autonomy and freedom to try out some of the many creative solutions they generate. They won’t settle for a quick fix but want to come up with efficient solutions. While they give a lot of attention to having a strategy, they also work at maintaining good relationships. They want a lot of involvement by everyone on the team.

How ISTPs Approach Doing Work
They want to be independent and to have the freedom to act on their hunches and intuitions, adapt to the situation, and work around whatever obstacles appear. They tend to be curious and will ask questions and try to understand a situation, often taking things apart to figure out how they work. Then they quickly grasp the most expedient solution and take a just-do-it attitude. They don’t want to be limited by defined roles but want to have some idea of what is expected of them so they have at least a plan of action going into a situation. A lot of processing of issues will be seen as a waste of time.
I'm still not entirely satisfied with the E designation because based on your replies, there seems to be a lot of overlap between ESTP/ISTP. I'm not sure what comes naturally to me anymore. Plus I imagine that people with dominant I functions would feel more pressure to develop their secondary E function. I don't know.
This is why I suggested that once you feel comfortable with a particular type, wear it for a while and self-analyze whether it’s truly you or are you playing a role. Most people get caught up in determining their type using dichotomies, however it’s the worst thing you can do since E/I represents eight types each. It’s better to understand the cognitive functions and determine which you do without thinking and is constantly present. In this case Ti comes so naturally for me that I don’t even realize that I am doing it. Se is something that I do as well, however I am always conscious of using it.
I just took a cognitive functions test and I actually scored higher on Ti than Se, although I guess the difference was really small because it still placed me as ESTP. But for simplicity's sake, case closed; ESTP it is. Until I have my next identity crisis anyway.
If you have ever read any of my post on the subject of cognitive test, I have always argued that they are the worse determinant of type. Cognitive test can only tell you the functions that you are currently using. This becomes dangerous because your environment and current circumstances may require you to use certain cognitive functions. The longer you have to remain in that role, the more you become comfortable in using the function however it’s not you and it’s not as natural as you think. I think you are headed in the right direction in wearing ESTP for awhile and determining whether it’s your best fit type.
I'm curious as to why I was labelled me as an ENTP though. The first page of this thread is basically an ENTP train. So to those that did: which part of my post struck you as being particularly ENTPish? Love 'em, but I never really thought I have high Ne (on the contrary, I seem to be lacking N) - especially compared to my bona fide ENTP friends who can theorize circles around me.
Ummmm…. Never mind!

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
If you like to read and purtsue knowledge, you are an entp. If you don't like to read, you are most likely an estp. Thats how i rtell the difference at least.
Why would you say that? All types like to pursue knowledge and ESTPs read just as much as ENTPs. What a silly remark to make.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
You seem like Ne dominant and because your own opinion of xxTP I would suggest you are ENTP.
What did you just say and on what basis? Actually Jung says:
But since intuition, in the extraverted attitude, has a prevailingly objective orientation, it actually comes very near to sensation; indeed, the expectant attitude towards outer objects may, with almost equal probability, avail itself of sensation. Hence, for intuition really to become paramount, sensation must to a large extent be suppressed. I am now speaking of sensation as the simple and direct sense-reaction, an almost definite physiological and psychic datum. This must be expressly established beforehand, because, if I ask the intuitive how he is [p. 463] orientated, he will speak of things which are quite indistinguishable from sense-perceptions. Frequently he will even make use of the term 'sensation'. He actually has sensations, but he is not guided by them per se, merely using them as directing-points for his distant vision.
I give my usual caveat that I will never proclaim to know a person’s type from just discussions on a damn forum. However based on their discussions it may be quite apparent what they are not. Since I don’t know Spaghetti or anyone on this forum personally telling them their type from discussions is stupid and irresponsible. Besides most of us change types as the wind blows here, so telling someone else their type seems futile. This is not toward you Alcea, it was just my chance to reiterate the silliness of typing someone on a forum.

SpaghettiMonster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well I read Wikipedia and magazines/journals, if that makes a difference. I know saying "I like learning." is such a stereotypical ENTP thing to say but other types can have different motivations for learning too.

Those with a Sensing preference usually become aware of the concrete, sensory information - the content of the pattern - first. Those with a preference for iNtuiting become aware of the abstract information - the patterns of connections and meaning - first. With extraverted Sensing(Se), the focus is on the immediate, sensory possibilities and options for action. With extraverted iNtuiting(Ne), it is on the envisioned possibilities, new ideas and meanings.

Extraverted Sensing - Notices the rich detail in the whole forest - the trees, their color and texture, their sounds, their smells, the pattern of light and dark.

Extraverted iNtuiting - Thinks of the fractal patterns, the wide range of possibilities in the forest, how this forest is part of the ecosystem and is affected by polllution from the city.
I hate to take things too literally but based on that description, I'd say my Ne is tucked away in a rotten corner of my brain, unused...

?]They cherish the responsibility of being in charge and taking care of others. ETPs want to lead but find the constant supervising of others a drain and a hindrance of their freedom to come and go as they choose.
To me, this is why it becomes more about their skills. When I lead, I usually divide the work accordingly (or give everyone a rough idea of what we hope to accomplish), then we disband, come back later and I put it all together. If someone runs into a hurdle, we fix it. Occasionally I do have this horrible habit of secretly doing part of the group work myself (with no hard feelings! It's all good) if I feel like some of the others can't. If they don't wanna do it, I will. That to me takes less energy than constantly supervising the team. It just worries me that sometimes I don't automatically relate to people as people, but as... minions who can either do the work or not. :devil: =/ I have to consciously step back and keep myself in check.

I can relate to the ESTP/ISTP descriptions. They seem very similar. Independence is a must for me although my need for independence can manifest itself in controlling everyone else. :doh:

? said:
This is why I suggested that once you feel comfortable with a particular type, wear it for a while and self-analyze whether it’s truly you or are you playing a role. Most people get caught up in determining their type using dichotomies, however it’s the worst thing you can do since E/I represents eight types each. It’s better to understand the cognitive functions and determine which you do without thinking and is constantly present. In this case Ti comes so naturally for me that I don’t even realize that I am doing it. Se is something that I do as well, however I am always conscious of using it.
Thanks for your insight. I feel like lightbulbs are going off in my head. I think I'm definitely an STP but determining the order of the cognitive functions will take some time. It really doesn't help that when me and my friends first found MBTI, we analyzed it in a very superficial, discrete and "fun" way - saying things like, "Oh, I'm a P so I'm flaky!" I'm only learning now how to go about on doing it properly.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Thanks for your insight. I feel like lightbulbs are going off in my head. I think I'm definitely an STP but determining the order of the cognitive functions will take some time. It really doesn't help that when me and my friends first found MBTI, we analyzed it in a very superficial, discrete and "fun" way - saying things like, "Oh, I'm a P so I'm flaky!" I'm only learning now how to go about on doing it properly.
No problem you will get there. I was only responding to commend you on your sig, "Always be yourself - unless you suck." Words to live by.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What did you just say and on what basis? Actually Jung says:I give my usual caveat that I will never proclaim to know a person’s type from just discussions on a damn forum. However based on their discussions it may be quite apparent what they are not. Since I don’t know Spaghetti or anyone on this forum personally telling them their type from discussions is stupid and irresponsible. Besides most of us change types as the wind blows here, so telling someone else their type seems futile. This is not toward you Alcea, it was just my chance to reiterate the silliness of typing someone on a forum.

Lol, I don't mind. :D
I know what you mean and I don't think anybody should decide their type based on written analyse in typologyCentral. But I think the writitings can help somebody to analyze themselves. ;)