• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Analyze this.

SpaghettiMonster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I've taken many online tests and haven't been able to get consistent results. I'm definitely an xxTP but aside from that, I don't know. I've tested as a high N and a high S before and usually about 50/50 on the I/E scale.

Some facts about myself:

- Sarcasm and humour come naturally to me. I often don't even realize that I'm giving sarcastic responses. For example: upon registration to this forum, I had to prove I wasn't a spambot and answer a question ("What colour is the sky?"). My first instinct was to reply with "Depends what time it is." even though it was painfully obvious that the answer should've been blue.

- I speak in a concrete, literal manner. When I'm explaining something, I like to give analogies and examples. When I'm debating, I present hypothetical scenarios. I find it very hard to communicate otherwise.

- I don't know if I'm an extravert or just a social introvert. I always test as an extrovert because I'm a fluent conversationalist and have no problem doing things that are superficially associated with extraverts - e.g. performing/public speaking, oversharing, and just generally being loud, rambly and animated. But at the same time, I also enjoy being alone and do need to step back every once in a while. And although I talk a lot, I'm usually just telling random anecdotes and having light conversations, not... y'know, giving people a window into my soul.

- Above all else, I want to learn, whether it be going on Wikipedia adventures or travelling. This confuses the testing sites a lot because I always end up putting that I'm interested in everything. I'm a biology major but I'm not looking to make a career out of it. I just think it's interesting. If I could, I'd just live in some island for decades and become an unofficial biology expert without publishing a single scientific paper. I can say the same for any other subject really. Love learning about 'em, hate taking 'em.

- I'm involved in activities that are considered "creative" but I don't know if I'm a creative person. Sometimes I think I've just absorbed so much over the years that I know what looks or sounds good to other people; none of it's really coming from me. Maybe I'm just good at putting things together.

- I hate making plans. I just hate commitment in general. I've been called flaky a lot and I still don't see why that's an insult. Because of this I also have trouble forming close personal relationships (romantic and platonic). I may alternate between wanting to spend time with someone and then just inexplicably wanting to do something else 10 minutes later.

- I tend to alternate between periods of intense laziness and robot-like efficiency. When I'm doing something that I love, I can spend hours glued to a single spot without even realizing it. Otherwise, I can't focus and end up doing a million other things. I don't mind though. Procrastination gives me a rush. :yes:

That was a little... involved. Oops. I did say I was rambly.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Agree with Edahn. You seem a pretty obvious Ne dom (Extroverted iNtuition as dominant function).

Trying reading this and see if it sounds about right,

Portrait of an ENTP

If it sounds just off look at ENFP also. I know you said you were definitely TP, but it can't hurt.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Why did I check to see if this was in the Sexuality forum after reading the thread title?

Never mind. Don't answer that.

ENTP

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Take a temperament test like this one, determine your preference. Most likely you prefer either NT or SP as your two primary temperaments and the other second. That actually will determine if you are NTP or STP, however if you choose to lock it down then determine your interaction style. All four have a different style. ESTPs-In Charge, ENTPs-Get Things Going, ISTPs-Chart the Course and INTPs-Behind the Scenes. Why would you trust us to tell you who you are? I disagree with all who have made a claim to your type because all TPs do what you state, depending on their developed auxiliary functions.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ayup. Sounds very ENTP to me.

Also, the only reason I checked out this thread was because of your username.

Ramen.

L

Lasting_Pain

I've taken many online tests and haven't been able to get consistent results. I'm definitely an xxTP but aside from that, I don't know. I've tested as a high N and a high S before and usually about 50/50 on the I/E scale.

Some facts about myself:

- Sarcasm and humour come naturally to me. I often don't even realize that I'm giving sarcastic responses. For example: upon registration to this forum, I had to prove I wasn't a spambot and answer a question ("What colour is the sky?"). My first instinct was to reply with "Depends what time it is." even though it was painfully obvious that the answer should've been blue.

- I speak in a concrete, literal manner. When I'm explaining something, I like to give analogies and examples. When I'm debating, I present hypothetical scenarios. I find it very hard to communicate otherwise.

- I don't know if I'm an extravert or just a social introvert. I always test as an extrovert because I'm a fluent conversationalist and have no problem doing things that are superficially associated with extraverts - e.g. performing/public speaking, oversharing, and just generally being loud, rambly and animated. But at the same time, I also enjoy being alone and do need to step back every once in a while. And although I talk a lot, I'm usually just telling random anecdotes and having light conversations, not... y'know, giving people a window into my soul.

- Above all else, I want to learn, whether it be going on Wikipedia adventures or travelling. This confuses the testing sites a lot because I always end up putting that I'm interested in everything. I'm a biology major but I'm not looking to make a career out of it. I just think it's interesting. If I could, I'd just live in some island for decades and become an unofficial biology expert without publishing a single scientific paper. I can say the same for any other subject really. Love learning about 'em, hate taking 'em.

- I'm involved in activities that are considered "creative" but I don't know if I'm a creative person. Sometimes I think I've just absorbed so much over the years that I know what looks or sounds good to other people; none of it's really coming from me. Maybe I'm just good at putting things together.

- I hate making plans. I just hate commitment in general. I've been called flaky a lot and I still don't see why that's an insult. Because of this I also have trouble forming close personal relationships (romantic and platonic). I may alternate between wanting to spend time with someone and then just inexplicably wanting to do something else 10 minutes later.

- I tend to alternate between periods of intense laziness and robot-like efficiency. When I'm doing something that I love, I can spend hours glued to a single spot without even realizing it. Otherwise, I can't focus and end up doing a million other things. I don't mind though. Procrastination gives me a rush. :yes:

That was a little... involved. Oops. I did say I was rambly.

Yeah, you are an ENTP.

P.s Welcome to the forums.

SpaghettiMonster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Wow, I've never seen the universe come to a consensus so quickly. Thanks a lot guys! :) RAmen.

Having said that though, I took the temperament test and got SP, followed by NT. I always test either as an ENTP or ISTP. I was pretty much nodding my head throughout the entire ENTP description but I started reading the ISTP one and came across this part:
ISTP said:
I have only a few close friends that I really see a lot. Yet people have seen me as someone very lively and talkative. That’s the part of me that likes life to be an adventure.

That to me is a perfect description of how I am. I've always thought that I was an I, only to have 525 600 people go, "No, you're definitely an E!" I'm dating an ENTP, and to me we seem very different so it didn't really occur to me that I could be one too. He's a very... grand, idealistic person yet I've never felt the need to (consciously) inspire others or be particularly forceful. Of course, ENTP females do tend to intimidate so maybe I've just learned to mellow down over the years.

I've never been too interested in extremely abstract stuff either unless I can bring them down to my level and make sense of them in a concrete way. My mom is a textbook INFJ and though I enjoy having discussions with her, I always have to relate them back to the real world.

The only type I've been able to eliminate is INTP. I find them too distant, too cautious, too reflective. I prefer to just jump in. I don't know if it's because I'm practical and focused on the immediate future (which would be consistent with some SP personality) or if I just wanna get something done so I can discover something else.

Maybe I'm a less pronounced ENTP? After all, I do tend to dream big. My plans just always fall through because I have a short attention span. I imagine I'm also a bit too ~flowery~ for a concise SP.

deleted
Depends on what you do when you're alone.

What you say sounds like an ENTP though.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Having said that though, I took the temperament test and got SP, followed by NT. I always test either as an ENTP or ISTP. I was pretty much nodding my head throughout the entire ENTP description but I started reading the ISTP one and came across this part….
Interestingly enough the only reason that I knew that I was not ENTP in the past, was because I know that I am introverted. However most ENTP descriptions fit me better than INTP. However when you read the bestfittype.com description of how ENTPs actually describe themselves, it became apparent that I was not ENTP. In particularly these paragraphs were definitely not me:
Ideas mean change. When I meet people who have interesting ideas, talents, or projects, I want to get to know them and help them make whatever they want to do possibly much bigger, more successful, or more impactful than they had intended. I start aligning with them and building trust because I want to get invited in—to probably change whatever they want to do because I tend to see more possibilities. Then we cook up the project. It’s fun to learn. I enjoy that in-the-moment experience of connecting things in my mind. Challenge and intellectual stimulation get me excited.

I just see a different world than the one in which I live, and I admire people who have genuine compassion and a commitment to serve others. I really respect people who have the ability to take the slings and arrows that come with leadership roles and working for change, who can cope with all the misunderstanding and resistance, who can say, “This is an idea whose time has come and we’re going to get it done.” It’s important to me to be in a setting where people are committed, where facts are respected, and where there is a space for people to tell the truth or at least look for the truth—and be open to listening. I am very partner oriented, and being creative together is what makes a relationship alive.

I work a lot, always looking for new projects, something to sink my teeth into, and I am constantly challenging myself to make things better. Things I’ve already figured out I like to put together in a format or structure, so I don’t have to sit down and go through all the nitty-gritty details. I think in terms of the future—why am I here, what is this connected to, where are things going, where did they come from and wouldn’t it be better if…? When my intuition is working it produces a lot of excitement and ideas.
. When I read about ENTP and other "Get Things Going" types, I find much of their interaction motives superficial.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm starting to reconsider my ENTP diagnosis as well.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
*TestTest*

ESTP.

Last edited:

SpaghettiMonster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
? said:
Interestingly enough the only reason that I knew that I was not ENTP in the past, was because I know that I am introverted.
How do you usually interact with people? I'm still considering the possibility that I may be an introvert (or at least a very weak E) and that I just learned to be social out of necessity. I thought extroverts are good at the human element of conversation? Sometimes my conversations seem too non-specific and impersonal; I'll say something, they'll laugh, I'll keep going and put them at ease - but really, I could've been having the same exact discussion with anyone else.

I just see a different world than the one in which I live, and I admire people who have genuine compassion and a commitment to serve others. I really respect people who have the ability to take the slings and arrows that come with leadership roles and working for change, who can cope with all the misunderstanding and resistance, who can say, “This is an idea whose time has come and we’re going to get it done.” It’s important to me to be in a setting where people are committed, where facts are respected, and where there is a space for people to tell the truth or at least look for the truth—and be open to listening. I am very partner oriented, and being creative together is what makes a relationship alive.

I found myself rolling my eyes at that ENTP description. It radiates a holier-than-thou vibe that's somewhat off-putting (although I don't think it's as bad as the other "Get Things Going" descriptions). It sounds like one of those moral citizen essays I used to BS back in Catholic school.

I also don't think an idea by itself warrants any sort of praise. Everyone has ideas. I need to see tangible results, preferably wrapped in a nice and pretty package. :)

On the other hand, I imagine I would be completely on board with ENTP projects that aren't people-oriented. If they'd been talking about making the next great scientific discovery as opposed to changing the world for the betterment of humankind, I would want to be a part of it. I'm just frightened by the idea of someone imposing "change" on me when I may not want it in the first place.

ETA: I just took the Enneagram test and got Type 7, which is apparently associated with ESTP/ENTP. But every part of me is screaming "Sleep!" so I shall continue this later.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
How do you usually interact with people? I'm still considering the possibility that I may be an introvert (or at least a very weak E) and that I just learned to be social out of necessity. I thought extroverts are good at the human element of conversation? Sometimes my conversations seem too non-specific and impersonal; I'll say something, they'll laugh, I'll keep going and put them at ease - but really, I could've been having the same exact discussion with anyone else.
That is exactly what I do. This is a chicken/egg question, is social interacting learned or is it that you are a social person who has learned to tone it down. Once I determined my best fit type, I had to do some careful self-analysis. You should never look at pigeon-holing yourself to conform to a type. Instead look at how you react to things naturally. Too many people do the former and choose to stay on the tread wheel mistyping themselves.
I found myself rolling my eyes at that ENTP description. It radiates a holier-than-thou vibe that's somewhat off-putting (although I don't think it's as bad as the other "Get Things Going" descriptions). It sounds like one of those moral citizen essays I used to BS back in Catholic school.

I also don't think an idea by itself warrants any sort of praise. Everyone has ideas. I need to see tangible results, preferably wrapped in a nice and pretty package. :)
I did not see as holier than thou, but like you I don’t seek or need praise. When I get accolades from my boss, I jokingly ask (but there is some seriousness in the under-tone) does that compliment come with a raise? Also like you and all SPs, there must be tangible results. When I posted at INTPC and ENTP.ORG, I did not find one confirmed INTP or ENTP that said they would not take classes for the sheer enjoyment. I am not going to waste money and effort (even if I had it to throw away) in taking classes for their own sake. It must be applicable and the conclusion must be, as you say wrapped in a nice and pretty package. This is where ISTPs can easily confuse themselves as INTJs. The difference is INTJs want closure and will forgo considering further information that could change the conclusion. ISTPs want immediate results, however will consider the necessity to change their conclusion if additional information warrants it.
On the other hand, I imagine I would be completely on board with ENTP projects that aren't people-oriented. If they'd been talking about making the next great scientific discovery as opposed to changing the world for the betterment of humankind, I would want to be a part of it. I'm just frightened by the idea of someone imposing "change" on me when I may not want it in the first place.
Again, STPs do not like change for it’s own sake and hate those who find the need to re-invent the wheel out of boredom. STPs are too pragmatic for that and would prefer to move on to the next project. I would suggest to keep and open mind and I would not dismiss ESTP.
ETA: I just took the Enneagram test and got Type 7, which is apparently associated with ESTP/ENTP. But every part of me is screaming "Sleep!" so I shall continue this later.
As stated above, I would not dismiss that type. ESTPs interact with the “In Charge” style. If you get the booklet, you will immediately determine that like ENTJ and ESTJ, the ESTP is much more serious than some descriptions give them credit for. It’s also the type that over the years I can appreciate their confusion with being ISTP. This is the only type that you consistently find that they can work just as easily in an autonomous manner as they can on a project. From all accounts of ENTPs describing themselves, they must have people. Here are some excerpts from the ESTP description at bestfittype.com:
I make it happen. How I work—I have a picture in my head on how things will be, and I’m totally involved in the here and now. I am go, go, go. And that creates a lot of successes. I just dodge my way through the sparks and problems. I’m very task oriented. I like to do something, get it done, and move to the next thing. I love circumstances where it’s a challenge. I’m a doer. What’s the mission and how are we getting there? Let’s work together. Let’s go. Throw any obstacle, I’ll find a way.

Working through people is the way to get things done. All of my energy, fun, and most uplifting experiences are focused around people. I don’t beat around the bush. Sometimes I have to tone it down a little bit—people may read me the wrong way. I’m very comfortable working either together as a team or individually. I like having flexibility, options, negotiating points. Some people need somebody to be very clear, very direct, and very to the point. That’s how I operate. And work needs to be mutually enjoyable for all of the parties involved. Celebrate achievements. Recognition or reward runs very high in my value system.

I love the challenge of creating something pleasing to the eye. I like the order, to walk into a place that’s totally chaotic, nothing’s happening, and there’s a great opportunity to straighten things out. I like to get the job of placing all the stuff, making it right so it works.

I admit I like to be in control and yet I’m kind of easygoing in that I just want freedom. Freedom to me is leave me alone, let me do it. Anything that constrains me around that I don’t like and kind of rebel against. I don’t like to be told what to do or what to think. And although I know it’s good for me, I don’t like feedback either. It takes a lot to rattle me, and even then I just go on. I tend not to dwell on things, but sometimes I have a tendency to imagine worst-case scenarios, especially when I am stressed.

If I don’t respect someone, I avoid them. If I can find another way to do business I will. I surround myself with people that I feel comfortable with, but they’re totally my selection. I like taking on something that I want to do and getting it done and seeing results, keeping things moving along just to see that I have met some goals—a feeling of accomplishment in a day. I’ll always take bigger risks if I feel confident enough. Then I’ll work with it for a while, and if I see it’s not going anywhere, I just move on and go from there. I guess that summarizes how I deal with situations.

SpaghettiMonster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Thanks. I find it hard not to get boggled down with details about the types but after devouring the Best Fit Types descriptions, I find I relate more to ESTP (especially the leading style). ENTPs seem too relationship-oriented and strategic for my taste. When I deal with people, I don't always relate to them on a... human level. It becomes more about their skills and quality of work they can produce. This sounds like an STP trait (or a dictator's characteristic, but I'm gonna ignore that).

I'm still not entirely satisfied with the E designation because based on your replies, there seems to be a lot of overlap between ESTP/ISTP. I'm not sure what comes naturally to me anymore. Plus I imagine that people with dominant I functions would feel more pressure to develop their secondary E function. I don't know.

I just took a cognitive functions test and I actually scored higher on Ti than Se, although I guess the difference was really small because it still placed me as ESTP.

But for simplicity's sake, case closed; ESTP it is. Until I have my next identity crisis anyway.

I'm curious as to why I was labelled me as an ENTP though. The first page of this thread is basically an ENTP train. So to those that did: which part of my post struck you as being particularly ENTPish? Love 'em, but I never really thought I have high Ne (on the contrary, I seem to be lacking N) - especially compared to my bona fide ENTP friends who can theorize circles around me.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
If you like to read and purtsue knowledge, you are an entp. If you don't like to read, you are most likely an estp. Thats how i rtell the difference at least.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You seem like Ne dominant and because your own opinion of xxTP I would suggest you are ENTP.