• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So am I an E or an I?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
What say ye?

I've never been 100% convinced that I am an I type, just an extremely depressed E type who is slowly coming back out of her shell these days anyway.

Based on your interactions with me online would you say I am ENFP or INFP?

Apparantly I am 7w8 or 4w3, it couldn't make up it's mind on that one. The 7w8 sounds more like me.

On the ENFP type descriptions I recognise alot of myself, but I also recognise alot of myself in the INFP description too.

So I'm not sure either way.

For instance I went out clubbing with my friend on the weekend, and I was the first one on the dance floor, I'm usually the first one on the stage too if the club has a stage.

I'm only less social because of anxiety, my need to be around people was so strong before.

I think better and am more motivated when I have spent alot of time around people, the longer I am alone the less I achieve and yet often I seek loneliness because I mistrust people due to the 8yr abusive marriage.

I would like to settle this once and for all, so help me would ya? :newwink:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Do you really think that a forum of people, who never met you in person, can actually tell you which dichotomy you prefer? Actually you cannot do that, which is why you are asking. Besides Berber your examples really give no indication for E/I, since that dichotomy will always be considered a forced choice. Also, have you considered that if everyone came back and said you seem to use Ne in your writing style, then you still would not know since both NFPs use it to extravert?

Suggestion....read up on Ne and Fi cognitive functions and determine which you prefer.
Extraverted iNtuition - Inferring relationships, noticing threads of meaning, and scanning for what could be. Extraverted iNtuiting involves seeing things "as if" with various possible ways of representing reality. Using this process, we can hold many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our minds at once with the possibility that they are all true. This is like weaving themes and "threads" together. We don't know the weave until a thought thread appears or is drawn out in the interaction with a previous one. Thus there is often an emergent quality to using this process. A strategy or concept emerges based on the here-and-now interactions, not appearing as a whole beforehand. Extraverted iNtuiting involves realizing that there is always another view. An example is when you listen to one friend tell about an argument and understand perfectly and then listen to another friend tell a contradictory story and understand that view also. Then you wonder what the real story is because there are always so many different possible meanings.

Introverted Feeling - Evaluating importance and maintaining congruence. It is often hard to put words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images and feeling-tones more than words. As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued and wanted. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, "sometimes, some things just have to be said." On the other hand, most of the time this process works "in private" and is seldom expressed directly. Actions often speak louder than words. This process helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the "essence" of a person or a project, and reading another person or action or project with fine distinctions among feeling-tones. When the other person's values and beliefs are congruent with our own, we are inclined to feel kinship with them and want to connect with them.
You will not be able to determine which you are from asking are you E/I since the average person falls somewhere in the middle, not to one or the other extreme. What you may be blinded to is that one or the other function is so dominant in you that you do not realize how naturally it's being used. I have questioned occasionally whether the Se comes before the Ti. What I have come to realize is that I actually can observe how I use Se because it's conscious. I sometimes cannot see Ti since it's like questioning how many breaths I take per minute. Ti comes so natural that I sometimes am blinded by the fact I use it.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Based on my unofficial credentials as an online psychic, I am going to say my guess is that you are "E" and/or 7w8.

You seem very strong willed, unafraid and opinionated as a result of surviving the negative and painful experiences of your marriage. These seem like ring 7attributes to me, not a ring 4 romantic profile.

So, my money is wagered that you are an extrovert.

Just my .02...

;-)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you already know what i think but i'm saying it again...ENFP! :cheese:

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Do you really think that a forum of people, who never met you in person, can actually tell you which dichotomy you prefer? Actually you cannot do that, which is why you are asking. Besides Berber your examples really give no indication for E/I, since that dichotomy will always be considered a forced choice. Also, have you considered that if everyone came back and said you seem to use Ne in your writing style, then you still would not know since both NFPs use it to extravert?

Suggestion....read up on Ne and Fi cognitive functions and determine which you prefer. You will not be able to determine which you are from asking are you E/I since the average person falls somewhere in the middle, not to one or the other extreme. What you may be blinded to is that one or the other function is so dominant in you that you do not realize how naturally it's being used. I have questioned occasionally whether the Se comes before the Ti. What I have come to realize is that I actually can observe how I use Se because it's conscious. I sometimes cannot see Ti since it's like questioning how many breaths I take per minute. Ti comes so natural that I sometimes am blinded by the fact I use it.

I did some light reading once I read your post, and honestly I find the Ne one really leaps out at me, I can list how many times a day I am using that function. The Fi one I also identify with but it didn't pop out to me as much as the Ne one did. My telephone conversations and my thread derailing are all a good indicator of how much I use Ne because I am leaping from one thing to another, connecting dots to make a bigger picture which in turn creates more dots to connect and on and on.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Based on my unofficial credentials as an online psychic, I am going to say my guess is that you are "E" and/or 7w8.

You seem very strong willed, unafraid and opinionated as a result of surviving the negative and painful experiences of your marriage. These seem like ring 7attributes to me, not a ring 4 romantic profile.

So, my money is wagered that you are an extrovert.

Just my .02...

;-)

The 4w3 profile didn't sound like me at all, the 7w8 sounded much more like me, especially now that I am on the mend and getting out more.

So you are only wagering .02, or do you dare to up the ante? :D

you already know what i think but i'm saying it again...ENFP! :cheese:

Yes, it was you who got me thinking about it even more, plus my nagging ENFP brother who is sure I am his twin. :smile:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you are only wagering .02, or do you dare to up the ante? :D

Ohhhhhh a gambler?!?! The 2 cents was merely for my opinion.

On the rare occasions I do drop a wager, I am prepared to go all in. What fun is a bet unless you're willing to lose the family farm? :cheese:

deleted
I've not talked with you, but I still say from what I see, you don't fit the INFP profile, and ENFP fits much better.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
for real...just look at your avatar.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay...but...it still seems more enfp doesn't it? and...she's a 7w8

heart

heart on fire
okay...but...it still seems more enfp doesn't it? and...she's a 7w8

Yes, totally agree and I was thinking more about Sahara's avatar has more that darker, angsty focused INFP theme than BE's.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I've always thought you were totally frickin awesome. I usually think that about ENFP's and INFP's are a tamer respect.

That being said, I really don't know. Cheerio!

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
omg!! barbarella that is hysterical!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
LOL I thought you knew that was me. :blush:

I have no idea why I chose to start a new account, rather than request the staff to change my name for me, but it's me. :newwink:

That really sounds like something an INFP would do. So that gets my vote.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
For instance I went out clubbing with my friend on the weekend, and I was the first one on the dance floor, I'm usually the first one on the stage too if the club has a stage.

I have never met an INFP who would say such a thing. This claim would not be at all uncommon for an ENFP, though. ENFPs are sometimes called the "quiet extroverts" and I believe may be more prone to depression than some other types for a number of reasons that I'm not going to get into right now. based on this one post alone, I would say ENFP. Ask yourself if being around people for too long is simply overwhelming and you have to go be by yourself to find your center. As a depressed extrovert, you may shy away from people but not because they are sapping your energy- just because you aren't deriving enough pleasure from their presence to be WORTH your energy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
That really sounds like something an INFP would do. So that gets my vote.

Really? ENFP's are much more likely to change themselves over and over than INFPs, especially on a whim.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Really? ENFP's are much more likely to change themselves over and over than INFPs, especially on a whim.

I think an ENFP would be just as likely to get their username changed, but an INFP would be more likely to not tell anyone and start a new account.