• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Materialistic N??

Petite Etoile

MBTI Type
InTJ
Enneagram
Is it possible to be a materialistic N? I'm not shallow or anything, but I just love love love shopping, clothes, designer purses, shoes, anything shiny, pink, girly, etc. N characteristics definitely seem to fit me more, but liking things so much would seem more S by nature. Although, it's kind of weird because I will go through phases where i become really non-materialistic and i look at all the overly expensive stuff i have and I can't believe i ever bought it, and it seems really pointless. but i dunno lately i have definitely been more of the former.

thoughts?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sure, why not.

Some people, myself included, like nice things.

I wear gold and diamonds, and expensive jeans and shoes.

Could I live without them?

Absolutely, am I materialistic?

Not really, but perhaps compared to your typical Rwandan, I am a materialistic consumer whore.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
What CaptainChick said fits me, too. I love nice things - clothes, jewelry etc. I am known as the "shopping ninja" by my friends and family.

Could I live without this stuff? Yeah. But do I simply enjoy it - nice clothes, dressing up, looking good etc.? Yeah.

Sometimes the word 'materialistic' can be confusing. I'll notice if someone else is dressed like a slob, but I won't make a moral judgement of them. In my head it'll be more like "ugh, that's a baaad pair of shoes" not "omg, looks at person x's shoes, x must be a lazy and unmotivated person" - I actually really hate people being judged by their looks - good or bad.

We should start a shopping thread. :devil:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Is it possible to be a materialistic N? I'm not shallow or anything, but I just love love love shopping, clothes, designer purses, shoes, anything shiny, pink, girly, etc. N characteristics definitely seem to fit me more, but liking things so much would seem more S by nature. Although, it's kind of weird because I will go through phases where i become really non-materialistic and i look at all the overly expensive stuff i have and I can't believe i ever bought it, and it seems really pointless. but i dunno lately i have definitely been more of the former.

thoughts?

Well, I have a female INTJ friend who is a lot like this, and I know other Ns like this, too. It's not so much an N thing- it's just a girl thing, even if not all girls are like it.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The ENTJs (all male) and ENFPs I know pay a lot of attention to dress and fashion, more so with the ENFPs. They're not generally materialistic people, they just spend more time on it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:laugh: I think people are all materialistic. It just depends on to what extent. I'm not so much designer clothing type.. but who else buys the original Heroes Quest in the factory shrink wrap in mint condition? Im a collector, so I'm materialistic in the sense I love to collect things that have a value to me (even if they're worthless to the next person.) which makes me materialistic. I like nice things, and I work hard to have them, and I'm normally fine going without if I cannot afford it.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
It is absolutely possible to be a materialistic N, just as there are plenty of ascetic, spirital Ss (look at those in religious orders; lots of ISs, I would bet).

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just love love love shopping, clothes...

Me too. I have so many clothes, shoes, and bags and I just keep stockpiling more. I thoroughly enjoy fashion, it is a bit of a hobby of mine. I see it as an art. I don't think it has much to do with S/N as I have many N friends, INFJ, ENFP, ENTJ, etc, males and females alike, who also love dressing well.

Could I live without this stuff? Yeah. But do I simply enjoy it - nice clothes, dressing up, looking good etc.? Yeah.
Yup, I could live without all my stuff. But I love dressing up and having nice outfits. I hate feeling like I have nothing to wear.

We should start a shopping thread. :devil:
Hear, hear!

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't spend much on clothes, but I wear $200 a bottle perfume and don't bat an eye about it. Seems to me that counts.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I guess I like materialistic too, I collect all sorts of usefull stuff in my garage and I like clever designed / built cars.

But I could do without it and I dont have to brag with the things I have. Maybe there is the difference.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm definitely not materialistic.

Btw I hate fashion queens, and I'm taking names.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*crickets chirping*

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, the only difference between S and N is how deeeep you are.

of course it's possible to be a materialistic N. That's like asking if it's possible to like books if you're an S type.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
My disinterest in appearances bothers a bunch of people I know. I would say I inherited it from my dad (grew up on a farm, thrifty) but he is a closet attention whore. Which is somewhat surprising for an INTJ. He used to LOVE dressing nice and would go to great lengths to make sure people noticed it.

My other friends and family members hate it. One of my exes asked me the ingenious question "why don't you like looking good" after I cleaned up a little bit for her. I took it as a compliment, but I generally don't care and I have a high threshold for things I won't stand when it comes to aesthetics and appearance.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7

thoughts?

You like to shop because the store is so well organized. You can elect to say "just lookin". It's somewhat of a forest (perhaps you prefer malls rather than barron isolated singles. Shoping provides thought as well, though somewhat on the surface.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Right, shopping is the modern foraging equivalent. A remnant of our gathering instincts, I mean, sometimes I just go with no intention or followthrough of buying anything at all. Seeing what's out there. Comparing prices, etc.

It also totally gives a sort of vindication that your work isn't for naught and the wheels of capitalism still turn in the world. You earn money and go to a place and can choose to use that purchasing power- in stores where another person is also earning money and they can go use that purchasing power. All is right in the world.

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
I like nice clothes, jewelry, etc. Usually when I'm busy it won't be a huge priority --- whatever pants and sweater I happen to grab, make sure my hair looks halfway decent, go. But when I'm on break or going out on a weekend, I'll put some more effort into picking an outfit and jewelry. I mean, why not? People judge by looks. It may not be right, but they do.

I've never liked much make-up, mostly because I don't think it looks good on me. I do like shopping, in moderation. Sometimes I'll try on dresses that are way too expensive that I have no intention of buying. It's almost a break from analyzing everything and being all N-ish. Se users have more fun.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Ns can be just as materialistic if not more.

Ns are symbolic so they might go shopping for clothes because of the way it makes them feel or the way it allows them to express themselves.
Ss are more likely to shop for clothes simply because they look good.

I know when I'm shopping for clothes I'm constantly asking myself "what does this say about me?"

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ns are symbolic so they might go shopping for clothes because of the way it makes them feel or the way it allows them to express themselves.

This is my reason. I see clothing as a form of self-expression. This seems to be ENFPs' reason for dressing up as well; they are very creative and their attire is just another outlet to express themselves. Don't know about ENXJs though...;)

Btw I hate fashion queens, and I'm taking names.

I'm.a.Diva