• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I a type 4?

What is my enneagram?

• Total voters

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
There seems to be a lot of stuff that other type fours do that I don't. Is it just the ENFP psychologist factor processing the depressive parts better, or did I get my enneagram wrong? I wander through the dark thoughts and fear nothing personal, but my reaction to it doesn't manifest in the same way as with many others on here. I'm rarely moody, or emotional, and never have been. Could some of it be an age thing? I went through a really deep searching patch in late teens-early 20s.

I'll put a poll so people can guess other enneagram types too.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I just did the test again and it came up like this. Type 7 is common for ENFPs but I'm not sure I am one. I get a different result every time anyway. Maybe 5w4 is a possibility rather than 4w5.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 5 4 4 6 2 8 1 5

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay...i'm not sure what those results say.

can you expand on this?
I wander through the dark thoughts and fear nothing personal, but my reaction to it doesn't manifest in the same way as with many others on here. I'm rarely moody, or emotional, and never have been.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Well I'm basically level emotionally. Not meaning I'm unemotional, just no one who knows me would call me moody or anything. I get told I smile too much and should be unhappy more :).

On the dark thoughts thing, I always want to understand the answer. If I am having problems in any way, I will do whatever it takes to get to an answer, and nothing comes higher than that satisfaction of understanding. Like I'm not satisfied to dismiss it, the only way through is completely confronting it. And I'm happy to dig to any level to get to this, even if it rocks the foundations of my existence. I also find stuff that many would find emo completely unconfronting, and it tends to leave me more interested in what is behind it, than scared. A lot of the time I'd be happy if people released their deepest darkest thoughts, though that might just be ENFP.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
What MBTI type are you? ZNFZ is not a type.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maybe it is...i'm a 7 and i'm not sure how it effects that actually but i'm extremely level emotionally. i usually feel pretty content and peaceful. if something comes up that makes me sad or angers me...i analyze it...go through it to find the meaning, how i feel about it, why it's significant, make peace with it and then revert to my contented state of mind.

i'm not afraid a bit to go through and explore others emotions either...i tend to do the same thing with theirs that i do my own...in almost a detached way...just looking at it from the outside without being too overtaken by emotion to see it clearly.

people comment that i always look happy and serene. i'm pretty calm and people very rarely see me become over emotional because i tend to withdraw to sort it out.

is that similar to what you're saying?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
maybe it is...i'm a 7 and i'm not sure how it effects that actually but i'm extremely level emotionally. i usually feel pretty content and peaceful. if something comes up that makes sad or angers me...i analyze it...go through it to find the meaning, how i feel about it, why it's significant, make peace with it and then revert to my contented state of mind.

i'm not afraid a bit to go through and explore others emotions either...i tend to do the same thing with theirs that i do my own...in almost a detached way...just looking at it from the outside without being too overtaken by emotion to see it clearly.

people comment that i always look happy and serene. i'm pretty calm and people very rarely see me become over emotional because i tend to withdraw to sort it out.

is that similar to what you're saying?

Pretty much identical. I detach to analyse too. And revert to serene quickly.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I'm basically level emotionally. Not meaning I'm unemotional, just no one who knows me would call me moody or anything. I get told I smile too much and should be unhappy more :).

On the dark thoughts thing, I always want to understand the answer. If I am having problems in any way, I will do whatever it takes to get to an answer, and nothing comes higher than that satisfaction of understanding. Like I'm not satisfied to dismiss it, the only way through is completely confronting it. And I'm happy to dig to any level to get to this, even if it rocks the foundations of my existence.

I can relate to not being called moody by others. In fact in public and w/ friends/acquaintances I think I come across as pretty even-keeled and keep emotions pretty much under wraps. Of course with those I'm closer to I will be more expressive, but I often think I must come across as a bizarre NF/NT combo - when it comes to emotional presentation.

Inside I think I have a lot of emotions (although it's only something I've become fully aware of within the past 5 yrs -- like you, I went through a mid-20's exploratory phase), and they can run deep. But yeah...'dramatic' is one of the last descriptive words that would be assigned to me by others. [oh, and I don't mean to imply by any of this that that's what 4's ARE known for, either - I'm just commenting on myself!]

I too want to get at the root of things, and if I'm in a 'funk', I don't want to cover it up with anything - I want to figure out WHY I'm in that funk, etc. I can't say the exploratory phase is pleasant by any means, but I'm a fan of confronting it.

I don't know about your ennegram...actually I have decided I suck at typing others (combined with no longer really caring ;-), and would rather just leave it to them. :smile:

I decided several months ago though that I was a type 1 rather than the type 4 I would test as. I'd always be pretty close between 1 and 4, but I had a tendency to take the tests when I was really withdrawn and more 'unhealthy' in the first place. In addition to this, I realized that one of the prime motivators for 4 - being more of an individual, and striving to be unique, etc - isn't exactly my prime motivator. I'm not so much concerned about being an individual, as such...because regardless, I WILL be an individual. I'm much more concerned with balance and I think that perfectionistic streak has a much stronger grasp on my underlying motivations than the 4's drive does.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9
-4 6 -9 6 -5 -2 11 -9 6

Can't be bothered formatting. I think I am a type seven. Also strong on 2, 4, and 9.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9
-4 6 -9 6 -5 -2 11 -9 6

Can't be bothered formatting. I think I am a type seven. Also strong on 2, 4, and 9.

Looks like a 7. And from what I've seen of your writings on the forum, 7 seems more likely than 4.

(I think most people have 3 to 4 types that they can somewhat relate to. For me it was 1,4, 9, and 5 to a lesser degree)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Yeh, when I think about it, I have a drive toward appreciation, and want others to appreciate things for what they are. All the things on the type 7 list seem to apply, whereas not that many of type 4 did.

http://www.9types.com/descr/7/

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
cool. i like us 7's haha :D

do you know your wing?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...that's a pretty perfect description.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I just did the test again and it came up like this. Type 7 is common for ENFPs but I'm not sure I am one. I get a different result every time anyway. Maybe 5w4 is a possibility rather than 4w5.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 5 4 4 6 2 8 1 5
One day I took 4 tests and got 4 different answers... though 1, 4, 5 and 8 were always in the top.
Then I went to a page where you have to study the details in depth and decide for yourself what type you are.
After studying it for a couple of hours, I decided that I'm a 4.

Here's the page:
The Enneagram Type Test

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looking at the results, I think I'm flying solo.

what? no wing for you? haha

just read more of it... the work/love description and yep...so true.

revolve

ENFP type 7 here

Hi everyone -
I was really into the enneagram for a while & it can be confusing . . . a good method to figure out what you really are is by learning about the directions of integration / disintegration ie. doing good & growing vs. being stressed & becoming more unhealthy . . . that's a great way to really know what you are . . . for example:

Type 7: when are maturing, doing good, growing, progressing etc. etc. will start to show more Type 5 like traits ie. the 7 is going towards 5. when a 7 is not doing so well they will take on some of the negative traits of type 1 & become very critical of self & others, perfectionistic etc.

Type 4: when doing good / growing will start to show traits of a healthy 1 and when not healthy will show a lot of the negative traits of Type 2.

Type 5: they take on the negative traits of type 7 when they aren't doing so well . . . scattered, distracted, impulsive & i think they show type 8 traits when doing well.

that's all i feel like typing for now . . . anyways - check out the enneagram institute's website for some good info on the enneagram . . . i personally love enneagram because it fills in a lot of the blanks that mbti seems to leave unanswered. enneagram kind of completes the picture in a sense. Oh yeah & I am an ENFP type 7 with a 6 wing . . . absolutely through & through.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi everyone -
I was really into the enneagram for a while & it can be confusing . . . a good method to figure out what you really are is by learning about the directions of integration / disintegration ie. doing good & growing vs. being stressed & becoming more unhealthy . . . that's a great way to really know what you are . . . for example:

Type 7: when are maturing, doing good, growing, progressing etc. etc. will start to show more Type 5 like traits ie. the 7 is going towards 5. when a 7 is not doing so well they will take on some of the negative traits of type 1 & become very critical of self & others, perfectionistic etc.

Type 4: when doing good / growing will start to show traits of a healthy 1 and when not healthy will show a lot of the negative traits of Type 2.

Type 5: they take on the negative traits of type 7 when they aren't doing so well . . . scattered, distracted, impulsive & i think they show type 8 traits when doing well.

that's all i feel like typing for now . . . anyways - check out the enneagram institute's website for some good info on the enneagram . . . i personally love enneagram because it fills in a lot of the blanks that mbti seems to leave unanswered. enneagram kind of completes the picture in a sense. Oh yeah & I am an ENFP type 7 with a 6 wing . . . absolutely through & through.

so funny...such an enfp thing to say...haha

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Personality Types by Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson

Enneagram Type 4 - The Individualist

Enneagram Type 4 - The Individualist

Identity seekers, who feel unique and different
Fours are emotionally complex and highly sensitive. They long to be understood and appreciated for their authentic selves, but easily feel misunderstood and unappreciated

They are emotionally centered and spend much of their lives immersed in their internal mental landscapes, where they feel free to cultivate and analyse their feelings. A desire to manifest this internal world often leads Fours to an interest in the arts, and some do become actual artists. Whether artistic or not, however, most Fours are aesthetically sensitive and concerned with self-expression and self-revelation, whether it be in the clothes they wear or in the overall nature of their often idiosyncratic lifestyles.

Fours are prone to fantasizing about a savior who will rescue them from their unhappiness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fours_(Enneagram_of_Personality)

From a very early age Fours felt singled out by others. They see the various personal qualities others have that are not given to them, which causes them to focus on absence, on differences and on personal alienation. They are the gray ducklings poked fun of by their bright-feathered peers and abandoned by their parents. They are the orphans and outcasts.
In time, however, they began to feel that they are singled out for a reason. They interpreted their alienation and suffering as evidence of their finer sensibilities. Even their personal defects, which in the beginning tormented them, are now worn as marks of pride. In their psychic recesses, however, there remains an emptiness longing to be filled by another and it is that emptiness, that tension between lack and fulfillment, which drives Fours in a search for meaning and personal identity. Unfortunately, given their fixations on fantasy and comparison with others, this search can often feel and become fruitles

Fours with a dominant Five wing

When healthy bring profound creativity and insights of an intrapsychic kind. Their emotions are more under the surface than Fours with dominant Three wing and more private modes of communication (such as writing) are preferred. They have intellectual as well as emotional insights and can often synthesize experiences into something intensely personal yet timeless.
When more average they are devoted to cultivation of a personal worldview, often by philosophical or artistic means. They are more likely than those with a dominant Three wing to be reclusive and out of touch with the greater social world and to compensate they may adopt unconventional or eccentric ways of life. They can be purposefully obscure and enigmatic in their expressions and then have an elitist and contemptuous view of those who failed to understand them. They tend to withdraw for prolonged periods under stress which can leave them further isolated. As a result they are prone to hallucinatory states and total alienation.
• When unhealthy they can inhabit a terrifying fantasy-world of their own creation. Their emotional torments are turned inward, causing severe depression and self-destructive thoughts. When average they may romanticize death but when unhealthy they may plunge into it.

Enneagram Personality Type 4: The Artist

Motivated by the need to understand and to be understood, you desire experiences that are rich with feeling and meaning. You may find it easier to deal with painful emotions than to deal with the tedium of daily routine. You have the temperament of an artist and long to freely express yourself. You feel your emotions deeply and are not afraid to go emotionally where others fear to tread. This includes having an exquisite, intuitive ability to distinguish between subtle emotions that others often miss. Painfully self-conscious, you are often overly focused on how different you are from others. A true humanitarian, you have a natural passion for protest. At times intense and contrary, you are not afraid to think for yourself and voice your point of view

Nostalgic by nature, you often focus on past experiences. This can lead you to deeper insights or to downward spirals of melancholy and/or painful unresolved feelings. Craving ideal circumstances or love, you often ruminate on what is missing and perceived to be important. Your tendency towards self-absorption is both an asset and liability. It can lead you to deep personal insights that can benefit everyone while feeding your self-deprecating sense of humor; but it can also make you appear to be self centered and disinterested in others.

When you step out of the river of your emotions, you can bring forth your many talents into the world and express them in a way that is extraordinary and original. You are like the lotus flower growing in the mud that is able to transform emotionally painful experiences into fertilizer for personal growth. Attuned to feelings, you have an uncommon sensitivity when it comes to dealing with suffering. You are not afraid to hear about someone else’s troubles, and you can be a great friend to anyone in emotional pain.

Need
You need be seen as artistic, gifted and accomplished. You focus on your individuality and on carving your own distinct image. You need to express your deep feelings and want others to validate your emotions. Whether you are organizing your living space to reflect your refined tastes or engaging in an artistic pursuit, it is essential for your sense of well being that you express your creativity.

Avoid
You avoid feeling lost, disorientated and without personal significance, meaning or direction. You also avoid appearing inadequate, defective or flawed. Most importantly, you have a hidden fear of being emotionally cut off and abandoned. You avoid affectation and anything dull, ordinary, ugly, vulgar, inauthentic or distasteful.

Virtue
Your greatest strengths are your deep intuition, creativity and ability to transform painful life experiences into opportunities for profound growth and healing. This enables you to identify what is missing, and like a knight on a quest, you search until you find it or create it. Astute about human nature, you believe that everyone is an individual and that all emotions have value. Profound and insightful, you have an uncanny knack for transforming the dull and the ordinary into the exciting and extraordinary. You are able to see and appreciate what is truly unique, special and rare.

Vice
Your vice is envy. You can be self-absorbed and temperamental, and tend to over-personalize all life experiences and interactions with others. Capable of being emotionally manipulating or overly critical, you are often unaware of the impact your emotional nature has on others. Remember, that you are like a mystic who sees ‘the river beneath the river’ and are not just the swamp of your emotion

Attention
Your attention goes to searching for meaning, noticing what is missing, feelings of melancholy and nostalgia, and longing for the unavailable. You appreciate the special, the humane and the beautiful. You like to put your personal signature on everything that you do. Your refined tastes make you a great critic and someone who appreciates the truly exceptional.

Spiritual Path
Your spiritual journey is to connect to original source and create true meaning. Spiritual growth will come to you when you are able to balance your emotional nature with temperance and equanimity. Keep your powerful emotions in check, and you can create the kind of life that you want.

Mantra
Don’t dwell on the past, and remember to enjoy the pleasure that can be found in each moment. When you have gratitude and the courage to move through your fear of rejection and share your talents, others will honor your original and creative contributions.

Wing
If you are the Enneagram Type 4 with the 3 Wing, you desire to appear genteel. You see you yourself as fiery, passionate, expressive, energetic, beautiful, and kind.
If you are the Enneagram Type 4 with the 5 Wing, you desire to be avant-garde. You see yourself as original, sincere, mysterious, subtle, artistic and independent.