• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Social Anxiety + E/I

VagrantFarce

Ever since I first took the MBTI, I came out as Introverted and since then I've always accepted it. I tend to stay away from people I'm not familiar with and don't like being surrounded by large amounts of unusual activity; I'm used to being embrassased in those situatons and doing something monumentally stupid (both of which I've done) and I'm just used to staying quiet and not saying anything, much preferring to listen. I think I have it in my head that if I say something I'll appear too forward.

The first type I got from taking a test was INTJ (it called me an analytical mastermind, which I thought was nifty and made me sound cool). Once I started delving into MBTi a bit more, I discovered that INTJ isn't really me; I'm not pushy or decisive in the slightest, and I often identify myself as more observant than anything. After really learning about the system I decided I was either INTP or INFP, all the way still accepting the "Introverted" bit because I just don't go out that much. But now I've realise that I/E isn't determined so much by your socialness and that the way you acted as a child is a good indication of your type. When I was a kid I was full of energy, doing all sorts of rubbish to keep the attention on me (this all stopped when I started getting bullied and I wasn't fitting in too well).

So now I'm considering that I might even by ENTP or ENFP! I know that I can be silly in social situations and I do like to make other people laugh so I can make sure I'll get along, but I've grown into a habit of being alone during a lot of my downtime and just mindlessly surfing the internet or playing video games or watching films or tv. The classic stereotypical image of the INTP or INFP is sitting down and reading the book, but if I'm going to read something I need to have it open in Firefox so I can tab through a whole bunch of other stuff in case I get bored. While watching a film or a tv show that's boring me, someone on the show will say a line or a joke that's interesting and it will instantly have me daydreaming, pacing up and down my room on some wild tangent of thought. While I admire precision in things like language, I fucking hate pedants and I'f I'm not interested in something I will happily cut corners if it won't get me into trouble. I also really hate math. :angry:

So yeah, I'm incredibly indecisive and I can't quite figure it out. So I'd like to ask for some input and I'm just wondering if any of this is indicative of anything at all(apart from my total and utter confusion!!?!/1? :cry: :shock: )

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
So yeah, I'm incredibly indecisive and I can't quite figure it out. So I'd like to ask for some input and I'm just wondering if any of this is indicative of anything at all(apart from my total and utter confusion!!?!/1? :cry: :shock: )

What you wrote doesn't really indicate I vs E much at all.

Introversion and extroversion is simply this: are you drained by other people and recharge by being alone, or are you recharged by other people and drained by being alone?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Introversion does not imply that you are a hermit.
An introvert can be recharged by other people.
It depends on what kind of other people, and where, and when, and how many.
If introverts were not recharged by other people, they would not post here.

How much you are an introvert? What is the per centage?
If you hover in between, the test does not allow it. It should. But it does not seem this is your situation. It is the situation of many mislead people, though.
Take the cognitive processes test. I tell what you are.

G

garbage

Ever since I first took the MBTI, I came out as Introverted and since then I've always accepted it. I tend to stay away from people I'm not familiar with and don't like being surrounded by large amounts of unusual activity; I'm used to being embrassased in those situatons and doing something monumentally stupid (both of which I've done) and I'm just used to staying quiet and not saying anything, much preferring to listen. I think I have it in my head that if I say something I'll appear too forward.

I thought I was socially introverted, but it turned out that I was just had anxiety around other people much like you've described. Once I got over that, I realized my true nature. I was absolutely depressed living as an introvert, but I thought that's who I was.

There's a difference between not preferring the company of others and being fearful of them.