• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would I be J or P or neither?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I don't mean to bring up an old topic, but I would just like to know what everyone thinks. Am I J or P or neither? I know I don't lean strong either way. I look at the characteristics from J and P, and I realize... I have a few from both columns. Then I look at the descriptions of ISTJ and ISTP, and realize that I'm not completely like either one. I usually switch back and forth between J and P, so I wanted to know which one I was (or if I was neither). Here are a few points:

- I like having fun.
- If I don't need to work hard to get a project/job done, then I won't.
- When I'm stressed to get something done, I usually get energized and intense and get bursts of energy to get the job done. I block everything out and am very intense.
- I can be organized but I'm generally average as far as organization goes. I'm often too lazy to put things in "proper places" but I usually know where to find things.
- I have a short attention span (especially when I don't need to do work) and I am often restless.
- I'm in between as far as planning an on-the-go goes. I make To-Do Lists for things I have to do in the morning, but I generally don't stick to them (I forget to make them often).
- I'm a laid back guy for the most part. I would be very happy if I had no work to do at all.
- I'm very competitive, I always want to win everything I get into.
- If I don't like a job, I usually try to get it done quickly.
- If I try to work on something that's due in a long time, I don't learn it as well because I'm not as pressured.
- I like some decisions to be made immediately, but others not for a while.
- I can spend hours wasting time.
- I like to get the job done and over with if it's not a fun one.
- I don't like getting up early to go somewhere or do something that's not fun.
- I generally dislike strict authority (authority that isn't me lol).
- I am dedicated, persevering, and motivated but I don't have much focus, particularly if it's not necessary.

Is it possible that I'm neither because I dont have

I'm not too comfortable giving away this much information, but it will help me. Thanks.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sounds very SP to me. When you read general descriptions of the SJ and SP temperaments, which one do you relate to more?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Sounds very SP to me. When you read general descriptions of the SJ and SP temperaments, which one do you relate to more?

I'm looking at them, and I think SJ is too rigid/strict, while SP is too balls-out.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I keep my balls in SOME of the time. :D

Haha.

I read that SJ's are dependable, and at the same time, I'm not really dependable.

I read that SP's are risky, but I'm more cautious.

heart

heart on fire
I'm P but I am careful about things that I feel are really important.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've wondered whether ISTPs can be more cautious than their descriptions say, or than the descriptions of SPs. But posts from ISTPs here usually don't reflect this.

G

garbage

A lot of the "getting stuff done and out of the way" sounds very J. The times were you procrastinate because you don't feel the effort is necessary isn't necessarily P, either.

I'd say middle-of-the-road J.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A lot of the "getting stuff done and out of the way" sounds very J. The times were you procrastinate because you don't feel the effort is necessary isn't necessarily P, either.

I'd say middle-of-the-road J.

He is entirely right. Take the type descriptions with a grain of salt. I am a very well rounded F, I usually score 51% biased toward F.

From reading your posts you sound like a very well rounded SJ.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I actually think I'm a J when I'm working, and a P when I'm not. I like to consider that a great blend. :D

Thanks for the responses so far, keep em coming.

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
From reading your posts you sound like a very well rounded SJ.

I was going to say the opposite.
Sounded like a very well rounded SP to me!

(I have a dear friend who is 'ESTP', and she gets things done very efficiently when she has to. Most of the time when there is work that she knows she won't enjoy, she gets it out of the way first. She's very laid-back and values having fun, preferring not to have work to do but will do it if she must. She goes between intense laziness and fairly fierce efficiency)
Basically, everything you said sounded like her. I'd say merely a well-balanced 'P'.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
You sound sorta like an ISTJ friend of mine. So SJ I guess (more information would be helpful).

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Alright well... I'm an engineering student if that helps (electrical). I like to think about things, don't like to talk about my feelings, and have almost no imagination. I'm not a friendly person to new people, but if I get to know you well enough, I am friendly. I like to talk about myself. I don't drive fast, I like competition, and I don't like to give up.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Alright well... I'm an engineering student if that helps (electrical). I like to think about things, don't like to talk about my feelings, and have almost no imagination. I'm not a friendly person to new people, but if I get to know you well enough, I am friendly. I like to talk about myself.

Doesn't help either way! (At least on J/P, it cements further that your IST)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha.

I read that SJ's are dependable, and at the same time, I'm not really dependable.

I read that SP's are risky, but I'm more cautious.

SJs are dependable more than SPs are risky. I know lots of SPs who aren't that risky, but I don't know a single SJ who isn't pretty consistently dependable (or at least feels guilty about it when not.)

Here's a good way to tell: How do you feel about tradition for its own sake? Is it important to you to preserve social traditions and norms simply because they're the tradition, or do you really not care one way or the other?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Doesn't help either way! (At least on J/P, it cements further that your IST)

Alright -

Both my parents are fairly strong J's and have preached mostly J principles to me, like having discipline and keeping schedules, even though I am not a disciplined person at all. Neither of them are laid back... in the least. And they get frustrated with me because they feel I'm too lazy.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
SJs are dependable more than SPs are risky. I know lots of SPs who aren't that risky, but I don't know a single SJ who isn't pretty consistently dependable (or at least feels guilty about it when not.)

Here's a good way to tell: How do you feel about tradition for its own sake? Is it important to you to preserve social traditions and norms simply because they're the tradition, or do you really not care one way or the other?

I don't really care about traditions - if something works, use it. It doesn't matter how long it's been used.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4

I'm not so sure traditions is a good way to discern one way or another. My ISTJ friend for example doesn't particularly care about the majority of traditions in society (he shares my pessimism about people and society in general). However, he does have routine of his own that he follows. It's nowhere near as rigid as the SJ descriptions might lead you to believe. He also dislikes work, and would much rather play, but in clear contrast to me, he actually does work. He has a job, does his homework at times other than right before the class it's due, and has a work ethic. However, he can still become distracted, especially when he knows he can finish the work later. He also takes good care of his car, and spends quite a bit of time on it. Time unnecessary just to keep it running well and looking decent. He's also fairly dependable, if he says he's going to do something, he'll probably do it, and is a loyal friend. (oops, I went a bit on a tangent here, time to go back on topic) If he perceives a tradition as not being useful, then he won't do it. He doesn't care about tradition for traditions sake, but in how useful they are. This is in contrast with me, and other P friends I have, who have little respect for tradition at all, unless they're fun (distinction between fun and useful). He is less likely to question tradition though. Unless it's blatantly getting in his way, he'll probably go along, but he won't have an attachment to it.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't really care about traditions - if something works, use it. It doesn't matter how long it's been used.

ISTP. Learned some good J values from parents, making you more balanced.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not so sure traditions is a good way to discern one way or another. My ISTJ friend for example doesn't particularly care about the majority of traditions in society (he shares my pessimism about people and society in general). However, he does have routine of his own that he follows. It's nowhere near as rigid as the SJ descriptions might lead you to believe. He also dislikes work, and would much rather play, but in clear contrast to me, he actually does work. He has a job, does his homework at times other than right before the class it's due, and has a work ethic. However, he can still become distracted, especially when he knows he can finish the work later. He also takes good care of his car, and spends quite a bit of time on it. Time unnecessary just to keep it running well and looking decent. He's also fairly dependable, if he says he's going to do something, he'll probably do it, and is a loyal friend. (oops, I went a bit on a tangent here, time to go back on topic) If he perceives a tradition as not being useful, then he won't do it. He doesn't care about tradition for traditions sake, but in how useful they are. This is in contrast with me, and other P friends I have, who have little respect for tradition at all, unless they're fun (distinction between fun and useful). He is less likely to question tradition though. Unless it's blatantly getting in his way, he'll probably go along, but he won't have an attachment to it.

ISTJs are generally at least somewhat averse to straying from the by-the-book path.

thechosenone: Do you tend to read the directions for things or just jump in and figure it out yourself with little/no regard for standard procedure?