• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Night!

What is Night's type?

• Total voters

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
The reason it usually bothers me when people misspell things is because I assume they didn't intend to do it incorrectly, but just don't know any better.
I assumed that it bothered you to some extent (although you cared more about getting it out of the way than getting it correct) because of the fact that you wouldn't have typed it that way if the correct spelling had come to mind immediately. I suppose that denotes a major processing difference between Js and Ps... which was your original point of course. Now I'm curious as to how Night will respond to that.

I'm sorry to write so much about this... I hope I'm not making you regret your shortcut, LOL.

A lot of it is context, though, and how well you know the person. I mean, from reading heart's previous posts, you would probably realize that she's not prone to grammatical errors and typos. When a person has established themselves as intelligent and thoughtful, they are then allowed to "break the rules" and people will realize that the rule-breaking was a choice and not a mistake.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
you dont strike me as someone with a natural preference for Te over Ti, at least.

Ni>Ti>Fe. Still an F in MBTI (which is just a code for functions), but with a preference for Thinking over Feeling.

On second (or is it fifth) thought I'm actually going to jump on this bandwagon. Are there any members who prefer Te in BlueWing/SolitaryWalker's social group...? :rolleyes:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Hey guys!

Looking to get some peer input into my type!

To give you some non-forum background:

- I have undergrad degrees in English; American History and Human Biology. I am 7 credits away from a Master's in English (Comparative Lit). I use none of my credentials (much to my ENFJ wife's chagrin) in what I do for a living -- I'm a curriculum development manager for a major communications company (Hint: rhymes with "Nextel").

- I used to teach high school English, but left as salary expectations fleshed poorly against occupational responsibilities.

- I'm a physics nerd.

- My recent Enneagram has me at a 5w6. I should be a 5w8, but the formula forces me to ignore my second highest score. I've also scored as a 1w2, but think I was just having a bad hair day.

- Online, I think I come across as intense. In real life, I'm energetic and warm.

- I have a fear of heights; Edahn.

Questions/thoughts?
You are shaped and molded by the environment.
Type is what is left.

The original copies of ourselves are lost?
The original never existed.

We choose?
We do not choose between the alternatives in the CP test.
We are chosen.

Why do we subject ourselves?
What ourselves?
Reflection does not subject.
It is only in the mirror.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
INTJ with an ENTP shadow. High Ni & Ne with highly developed tertiary function (Fi).:happy:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed a handful of posters who come across as strongly iNtuitive are harder to type. It's just something I've noticed in a few cases.

Sometimes the F-T and J-P poles are more problematic than the S-N and E-I I think. E and I are for the most part mutually exclusive in that it is quite a trick to actually be both. S and N are fairly good this way as well especially the concrete vs. abstract thinking aspect of it. J and P are mutually exclusive but seem to assume a relationship between structure vs. non-structured and opinionated/initiating vs. open/observing and those two poles are not directly related to each other i think. T and F, or at least the prevalent understanding of them, do not seem to be mutually exclusive poles. One poster suggested the terms "ethical" vs. "logical for those two, but it is challenging to find an individual who is 100 logical or ethical who is not naturally strong in the other. It is easier to find an individual who lacks both simultaneously, than completely lacking only one pole. Being socially abrasive is not equivalent to being logical or objective. It is such a funny cultural overlay on these online forums to assume that. The fact that Night is warm, polite, etc. does not determine if he is a F or a T. "Why" he is motivated to communicate in a certain manner does determine that. Because of the cultural confusion added on top of F and T, it is difficult to determine which Night is, but he does seem strongly iNtuitive. He is one of the few posters who actually engages in abstract, big picture, intangible topics which is fundamental to iNtuition. I would venture to say INXJ because he does seem N dominant, which could be Ne if he is extroverted which is harder to measure online.

Last edited:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am watching this thread wfom the start and I agree with Jack Flack you are civilized INTJ.

E/I - that is something I leave to you (because of obvious reasons), but since you are here you are probably I.

S/N - clearly an N

F/T- I think that people are stereotyping here just because you are not hard core rationalist and can show sensitivity does not mean that you can't be INTJ.
Many of you post show that you are probably on a T side of spectrum.

J/P- to tell you the truth I am am not sure about this but I would say medium to slight J

So in the end you are INTJ for me.

What do you get in tests when it comes to types and percentages?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
A lot of it is context, though, and how well you know the person. I mean, from reading heart's previous posts, you would probably realize that she's not prone to grammatical errors and typos. When a person has established themselves as intelligent and thoughtful, they are then allowed to "break the rules" and people will realize that the rule-breaking was a choice and not a mistake.

I can see how you might choose to view it that way, but I don't believe in that very strongly. My attitude is that you have to prove yourself all over again every time. What you've been doesn't tell me what you are, after all. People can change.

Although I think that post was reasonably intelligent... just a little sloppy. Which is fair enough, since she's a P and would probably admit to this herself.

I guess I'm proving myself to be quite the J, since I'm STILL talking about it.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's another thought to throw into the mix. As overall posters go online at least, I have noticed a few parallels between Night, cascademn, myself, and a couple of other people. It seems like there is a Ni Fi/Ti thing going on with some emphasis on Ne as well, which doesn't fit with an MBTI type exactly. I wonder what is the reason that the function order has to alternate i and e? Being a little more flexible with function order tends to explain a great deal when people don't fit exactly into a type. It might also have to do with the functions not being fully understood by myself or in the general online cultural assumptions.

The F/T issue has to do with being able to switch modes based on the context of the situation, but both seeming to focus more on the introverted version. The J/P thing in the cases I mentioned appears to me to have the structure/ordered aspect to it, but not as much the forceful/opinionated/closure aspect of the J. From the OP, Night may be more forceful than the other posters I mentioned, but there is also a gender overlay to consider.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
My impression for a long time has been INFJ, strong T.

I really don't see you as an extravert. I get the impression that you consider everything quite carefully before it gets shown to the outside world.

You and Dansker were my IRC pals from way back when (during my insomnia stint -- whew!)

Plus, you and I share a syn link...

INFJ ?

You just "feel" like an INFJ to me, though I don't think you're a typical anything.

Agreed.

if i had to guess i'd say INTiJ. same type as evan.

you dont strike me as someone with a natural preference for Te over Ti, at least.

Your impression is correct.

I feel uncomfortable using Te unless it's necessary.

Ti/Ni - Fe - Te

:)

Ni>Ti>Fe. Still an F in MBTI (which is just a code for functions), but with a preference for Thinking over Feeling.

It's hard to argue with a functions junkie. Especially one as strongly inclined as yourself, Evan...

INFJ ?

Judgement dominant.
You heard me -- I'm calling you a P.

It appears you're curious of others perspectives more often than an Ni type would be.

I like NTP.

From what I've seen:
More often, you're curious to see as much surrounding a concept as possible and figure which is best.
That is, opposed to sticking to one perspective and counting on it to hold up, while building onto the original idea what results from implementing it.

That's N_P opposed to N_J.

I've had extensive conversations with the guy, and I've never seen Night commit even a similar crime.

I envy your depth of comprehension on Type and its practical relationship to externalities.

You and I have had many, many conversations -- enough to fill a book, I'd reckon. This, alongside your obvious mastery of Type theory make it difficult to overlook/appropriately summarize the importance of your analysis...

xNTP?

Ok I'll play. The line I quoted from your very cheerful sounding OP is not INTJ. Embrace the Fe, you are an INFJ, who is pretty balanced with a well developed tertiary Ti and some bonus Ne.

(I've also read quite a few of your posts here and at the bad place because I'm a stalker.)

Thanks, pippi!

Truth be told, my core rationale for smiling and holding the door open for folks in this thread was that I wanted to display appropriate reciprocation.

It means a lot that people are willing to dedicate otherwise-valuable personal time to summarize my collection of quirks.

Fe? Maybe. Fi? Maybe.

INxJ ?
The only reason that anyone has presented so far in favor of INFJ is that you're nice, which is apparently somehow strongly indicative of F (while T is reserved for the rest of the nasty bastards). Since I think that's a pretty poor reason to come to that conclusion, I'm going to say some sort of NTP. I've never really thought of you as all that opinionated, and you seem exceptionally able to quickly view topics/issues from multiple theoretical vantage points, without expressing strong preference for one or the other. I think Js might be more apt to pick one based on whatever set of criteria floats their individual boat.

You and toonia seem to share perspective on the topic of perceived social etiquette. Who we "are" is more a composition of revised earlier manifestations of an "ideal" self that works to balance what makes us internally comfortable with what we feel we must do to culturally succeed (relative to our present goals).

I have a hard time applying finality to any theoretical framework. Culling new (empirically-driven) data is much more important to me than rubberstamping intellectual judgment (cessation of open-minded observation) as a means to artificially progress (as this thread likely demonstrates…!)

xNTP?

I think INTJ.

When you doubt it though...

INTJ ?

What do you read for fun?

I just finished my Michio Kaku compendium. From here, I think I'll probably return to my nostalgic roots with Guth's Inflationary Universe -- haven't read that in a long time. I like science-related topics that analyze natural phenomena. Philosophy is a close second, with political/economic theory not far behind...

What do you chose to think about most of the time when on your own time?

I deconstruct concepts and people. I try to reduce (not in reductionist terms) theory into individual parts as to better comprehend the unified harmony of the reassembled components. Like a car engine. Or the human eye. Or, why I dislike a certain friend more/less than another. The importance is more about information gathering, than applying an artificial intellectual enclosure. I try to remain open to possibility.

When you say you are warm with people, is it because you'd like fix/mentor them in ways that you think are best or would you like to understand/empathy them and help them find what they really want?

I don't have the answers to fix all the problems in my life. I can't imagine ever having the vanity to summarily diagnose/prognosticate how people should respond to difficult events in their lives.

I genuinely care for people. I personally dislike suffering, so I work to reduce it in others. I don't know if this suggests legitimate compassion or a general distaste for negative emotion (experienced vicariously as a result of passive analysis in others...).

Compassion is a dual-sided coin. In life, I smile and spray perfume as a means to convince myself that I am socially responsible. Whether this is an accurate portrayal of my ostensible "core" identity is probably impossible to honestly fathom. As Wildcat mentioned, who we are is more an illustration of social and academic factors than a concise litmus test of our spiritual ichor.

Dammit, Night, if you want to be an INTJ, you can be an INTJ.

I don't know why you'd ever think that, though, unless you've had too many latent megalomaniacal desires that have just recently begun surfacing. But then again, I've heard INFJs get those, too, sometimes.

Haha...thanks, Hap.

INTJ ?

INTJ with an ENTP shadow. High Ni & Ne with highly developed tertiary function (Fi).:happy:

Good man, BT. I think you and I would get along smashingly in person. You remind me fondly of my best friend from years ago. Highly successful guy. All the talent and ambition one could ever hope to have in life.

Plus, a helluva tennis player. Could laser a serve into your groin with startling accuracy.

The fact that Night is warm, polite, etc. does not determine if he is a F or a T. "Why" he is motivated to communicate in a certain manner does determine that. Because of the cultural confusion added on top of F and T, it is difficult to determine which Night is, but he does seem strongly iNtuitive. He is one of the few posters who actually engages in abstract, big picture, intangible topics which is fundamental to iNtuition. I would venture to say INXJ because he does seem N dominant, which could be Ne if he is extroverted which is harder to measure online.

Thank you, toonia.

Ever since our early interactions on INTPc, I've always felt a strong connection to the way you deconstruct/clarify your thinking. (Interesting -- I authored this before seeing your next post...

...Just reaffirms further my proximity/comfort with your general intellectual approach, toonia)

INxJ ?

I am watching this thread wfom the start and I agree with Jack Flack you are civilized INTJ.

E/I - that is something I leave to you (because of obvious reasons), but since you are here you are probably I.

S/N - clearly an N

F/T- I think that people are stereotyping here just because you are not hard core rationalist and can show sensitivity does not mean that you can't be INTJ.
Many of you post show that you are probably on a T side of spectrum.

J/P- to tell you the truth I am am not sure about this but I would say medium to slight J

So in the end you are INTJ for me.

What do you get in tests when it comes to types and percentages?

Thank you, Antisocial One. For quite some time now, I've always identified you as the quintessential INTJ. Consequently, your analysis is meaningful.

INTJ ?

You are shaped and molded by the environment.
Type is what is left.

The original copies of ourselves are lost?
The original never existed.

We choose?
We do not choose between the alternatives in the CP test.
We are chosen.

Why do we subject ourselves?
What ourselves?
Reflection does not subject.
It is only in the mirror.

Profoundly perceptive as always, Wildcat...

We are not the sum of our behaviors. Our behaviors are the sum of our environment. What we select is more an indication of our core values. A question of necessity -- not ours: theirs. Or, at least how we understand theirs. Vision and truth have never met.

Clothes do not make the man, after all.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey guys!

Looking to get some peer input into my type!

The good type.

As far as Evan's mention of Ni>Ti>Fe --that seems plausible albeit difficult. It would explain the 1oz. super-concentrate you dropper out after 2 gallons of data has just passed through your barrage of multiple internal processes/filters.

Poor data; it just never stood a chance. ;)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Hey night, why don't you present us with two arguments for your type. One for INFJ and one for INTJ.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gladiator Competition: INFJ vs. INTJ

Hey night, why don't you present us with two arguments for your type. One for INFJ and one for INTJ.

/agree

Night, I'll bet you could blow us away with your arguments for both. Do the unthinkable and place some of that internal combat out into the open for us.

bob.gladiators.jpg

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
You're funny, iwakar. Here's a snippet:

INFJ --

- Generally speaking, I feel a strong protective urge for others. I feel honest, unconditional warmth for people (I can't really put the exact feeling into words) that seems to outweigh the general sense of negativity for folks who've wronged me (what has been described as a broken coping mechanism/divine gift...).
- As a child, I actively donated to Christian Charity funds that worked to reduce hunger in places like Africa; Central Asia and the like.
- Would willingly sacrifice myself for a worthy cause
- Feel strongly compelled by the suffering of others/can't rest until pain is relieved
- Very warm/happy personality

INTJ --

- Dislike external displays of emotion -- especially when inappropriate. This is especially true in my adult years. Maybe the result of social conditioning?
- Have a natural gift at ascertaining the "hidden" nature of complex theoretical systems -- especially to the extent that I can forecast future behavior/tendencies of said system.
- All but immune to criticism/desire for emotional support. The same goes for praise. How I "feel" about myself has almost nothing to do with how people tell me I'm doing and everything to do with my internal register.
- I keep a poor social ledger (I rarely maintain long-term relationships with others).

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
What makes you so sure you're N? Your word usage is much more precise than most of the N's here. Your posts are almost always easy to read. Even when I don't understand the words, they are still obviously coherent and not all floating around. But I'll take your word for it for the time being.

I chose INTP from the available choices because you seem to be informative rather than directive. So I would say Strategic Responder or Strategic co-worker by Keirsey's "Brains and careers" types.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Heh! So failing to maintain long-term relationships would be an INTJ thing?

*writes that down*

So, what about you represents the essence of Te?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're funny, iwakar. Here's a snippet:

INFJ --

- Generally speaking, I feel a strong protective urge for others. I feel honest, unconditional warmth for people (I can't really put the exact feeling into words) that seems to outweigh the general sense of negativity for folks who've wronged me (what has been described as a broken coping mechanism/divine gift by others...). I can relate.
- As a child, I actively donated to Christian Charity funds that worked to reduce hunger in places like Africa; Central Asia and the like. I can relate.
- Would willingly sacrifice myself for a worthy cause I can relate.
- Feel strongly compelled by the suffering of others/can't rest until pain is relieved I can relate.
- Very warm/happy personality I cannot relate, but this may be more related to conditional states, for whatever length of time.

INTJ --

- Dislike external displays of emotion -- especially when inappropriate. This is especially true in my adult years. Maybe the result of social conditioning? I can relate.
- Have a natural gift at ascertaining the "hidden" nature of complex theoretical systems -- especially to the extent that I can forecast future behavior/tendencies of said system. I can relate.
- All but immune to criticism/desire for emotional support. The same goes for praise. How I "feel" about myself has almost nothing to do with how people tell me I'm doing and everything to do with my internal register. I cannot relate although I despise my inability to -pause- my emotional responses.
- I keep a poor social ledger (I rarely maintain long-term relationships with others). I can relate.

Speaking as a confidently self-identified INFJ that is...

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Everything in post #53 supports INFJ not INTJ imo.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
What makes you so sure you're N? Your word usage is much more precise than most of the N's here. Your posts are almost always easy to read. Even when I don't understand the words, they are still obviously coherent and not all floating around. But I'll take your word for it for the time being.

I chose INTP from the available choices because you seem to be informative rather than directive. So I would say Strategic Responder or Strategic co-worker by Keirsey's "Brains and careers" types.

Thanks, dude. Means a lot.

Quite simply, I'm not an S because I suck at S-type activities. I'm always bumping my toes on doorframes or catching my elbow on a nail. I used to think I had high Se when in high school/early college, but recently realized that my ability to effectively describe a visual image from memory kinda...stinks.

Plus, I'm not very good at mechanical stuff. I can describe Music theory, but can only bang on a piano. I can analyze the utility of a catalytic converter, but would probably put lugnuts on backwards when changing a tire.

So, what about you represents the essence of Te?

In a work situation, I can be very domineering -- especially when I believe work is not being done appropriately. I hate working in groups for this reason.

Noted -- thank you, Trinity.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:yes:With all but maybe the 3rd item, the things listed under INTJ could easily fit with an INFJ as well.

With the third item, it's a tough one for me to assess when it comes to myself. As for how I 'feel' about myself, I think I need a fair amount of validation - however, even that is going to do little/nothing for me if I don't feel confident and believe in myself in the first place. So I need that internal awareness/recognition as well. As for emotional support, I historically have never sought out emotional support, and have kept everything within and dealt with all of it on my own. That's probably shifting a bit over the past couple of years though, as I'm wanting to open up a bit more and let close friends know what's going on.

As for your actual type, I simply voted for the vibe you give off most, to me. But obviously the typing thing is highly subjective - everyone has their own filters through which they determine someones' type, and even the experts can disagree when it comes to typing and the theory itself. So..eh. I'm of the belief that there are more than 16 ways a persons' cognitive functions/development can unfold, which leads to many more potential flavors of type (and blurs the notion of what constitutes a type), and with some individuals it's almost pointless or counterproductive to focus so much effort on finding a type for them.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
:yes:With all but maybe the 3rd item, the things listed under INTJ could easily fit with an INFJ as well.

I'm of the belief that there are more than 16 ways a persons' cognitive functions/development can unfold, which leads to many more potential flavors of type (and blurs the notion of what constitutes a type), and with some individuals it's almost pointless or counterproductive to focus so much effort on finding a type for them.

I think you hit on a great point, cascademn. Differentiating the INTJ and INFJ can be very complicated.

I also agree with your final statement. 16 variations seems a paltry methodology when explaining something as diverse and (in)flexible as personality.