• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think I'm INFP, confirm/deny?

VagrantFarce

A lot of these personality types tend to overlap, making me feel a bit confused about which I fall under. Hoping someone here can help me out a bit. First time I took this test I ended up as INTJ, and after reading the description thought "hey cool! ANALYTICAL MASTERMIND :devil: ". But after reading through the MBTi in depth, I don't think it's a good reflection of me. I took the test again, ending up as INTP instead. It fitted better, but through reading I figured I was INFP. However, I don't really trust my ability to reflect on myself objectively, so I hope someone here can help.

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm at the very least Introverted...I tend to be fairy shy and reserved, and avoid doing anything without thinking it over for at least a little bit. I also prefer small gatherings of close friends rather than huge parties where I don't know anyone.

I tend to focus on developing awesome ideas in my head, but the process of actually acting out on ideas tends to feel stretched out for me, eventually becoming kinda boring and tedious. I have a lot of thoughts and ideas scattered around my computer in text files, but not much else. :alttongue:

I'm fairly aware that I take into consideration people's feelings, and will often help people regardless of what I'm doing, but not always happily. I also like seeking consensus whenever I'm trusted with making a decision. At the same time I have a fascinaton with abstract systems, especially programming and website design. I was also very good at Maths when I was a kid, and probably would have gone further with it if I was allowed (I wasn't because I was in the "intermediate" class, yet I was convinced I could take it to the next level). I'm also prone to be thankful when people are no longer hogging me for help, and I can just attend to whatever I was doing.

I'm pretty disorganised overall, and often work better when a deadline is looming. I also tend to work in small explosions of energy and interest, and like I said before tend to lose interest over a long period of time. Then again, I have been fairly anal when frustrated, demanding straight answers and often organising things so I can get it out of the way quickly. Small quirks about other people might annoy me as well, though I never really point them out. I'm also interested in the layout of things, and tend to get kind of annoyed if something gets moved from where I knew it was (though I won't always put it back, I tend to just remember where it was and leave it there from then on).

Bloody hell, that was a bit long-winded. Thanks if you actually took the time to read that. :)

Still, :confused:

Numbers

MBTI Type
INFJ
Welcome to the board :)

I would try and look at the functions and go from there. INTJ, INFJ are dominant Introverted Intuition, INFP's are dom Introverted Feeling, INTP's are dom Introverted thinking.

The temperament theory may also help if you are close between NF and NT.

This page describes the functions
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-tm-enneagram-other-personality-matrices/1966-mbti-tutorial.html

and for the different temperaments
http://www.keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=1&c=overview

It's really hard to type someone over the internet, and if you're like me you wouldn't trust someone elses opinion anyway, so you're probably going to have to figure it out yourself.

It took me awhile to realize I wasn't a rational because I idealized them, so I can relate. Good luck with your self discovery.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I would try and look at the functions and go from there. INTJ, INFJ are dominant Introverted Intuition, INFP's are dom Introverted Feeling, INTP's are dom Introverted thinking.
That's one theory. (The wrong theory.)

Numbers

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, that's one man's opinion.

I'm kind of partial to socionics, but I assume since he is here he wants to stay within the MBTI system.

This all really is just different classification systems not cold hard reality or science.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm kind of partial to socionics, but I assume since he is here he wants to stay within the MBTI system.
This is Typology Central now. :devil:

I do think Socionics function orders ring a bit truer, but are still imperfect.

Numbers

MBTI Type
INFJ
This is Typology Central now. :devil:

I do think Socionics function orders right a bit truer, but are still imperfect.

Oh yeah, true :)

Actually OP, you may want to check out Flaks system (which is actually pretty good) and socionics as well.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Oh yeah, true :)

Actually OP, you may want to check out Flaks system (which is actually pretty good) and socionics as well.

Now for the SJ to insert his opinion:

What the hell are you trying to accomplish here? Once you find your "type" within a theory, that's all you've done. Did you find anything out about yourself in the process? Knowing your type in a system is useless. The biggest jump in self-knowledge is acknowledgment of the 4 main preferences.

Numbers

MBTI Type
INFJ

What the hell are you trying to accomplish here? Once you find your "type" within a theory, that's all you've done. Did you find anything out about yourself in the process? Knowing your type in a system is useless. The biggest jump in self-knowledge is acknowledgment of the 4 main preferences.

It's up to each person to decide what they want to take from this. Whatever personality system you choose to believe in it's going to be pretty subjective.

I think most people take this shit too seriously, myself included (well, until recently anyway). People are sooo complex and trying to fit everyone into neat boxes (no matter how broad) is kind of crazy and wrong.

I also think the idea of building a community around this is a mistake. Most of these systems are decent self-discovery tools, but when used externally it just ends up a bunch of shitty generalizations and stereotypes. (LOLzslk;;p he's an NF so he must not be able to think logically durrr).

I never started out with a goal in mind for this, but it turned out to be useful in some ways. It made me realize what I truly value in life (career wise) and gave a name to a stuff that I already knew existed. Beyond that? Nah, not much. But for someone who is in his mid-20's who is still trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life it's helped some.

I will probably continue to pop in from time to time, but I don't really see the point of defining myself with this stuff anymore.

I went off on a tangent, but I wanted to type it out to make sense of it all even if noone gives a shit ;P

VagrantFarce

I dunno, 'cause it's fun? :) Helps to clear the air a bit.

To everyone else, thanks much! :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I will probably continue to pop in from time to time, but I don't really see the point of defining myself with this stuff anymore.
That's only the beginner fun. Once you start defining everyone around you, and using it to live a simpler life, you're advanced!

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
My opinion is ISFP. The doing stuff close to deadlines would be more INFP cos I think of ISFPs as needing to be certain ahead of time, the rest though seems ISFP. The style of your posts feels a bit ISFP also. And you've been endorsed by an SP :).