• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me determine my MBTI type please?

nuclearpancakes

MBTI Type
n/a
Enneagram
n/a
Context:

Hey guys, would really appreciate some help in determining my MBTI type. I get different results each time. In the span of the last year, I've gone from INFP->INFJ->ISFJ->ISFP->INTP->INTJ, so I have no idea anymore haha.

a) What is your age range and general location (Country so that cultural values can be taken into account)? Do you have any impairments that may affect the way that you answer this questionnaire? Any religious or political beliefs (or anything else along those lines) that also might have an effect?

Canada, turning 23 in 2 months. No impairments, or religious/political beliefs that might be important to consider. I'm quite vanilla.

b) Which types are you currently considering? Why are you considering them and why haven’t you decided on one?

I mentioned the large spread of types that I've gotten on personality tests. I've done a bit of research into the functions involved in each of the types and I don't really think I use Fe or Ti (as I understand it- it's a confusing function, that one) that much, so I want to rule out INFJ, ISFJ, and INTP. The remaining three types, however (INFP, ISFP, and INTJ) are fair game, I think.

2) What do you deem as your purpose in life?

This is an interesting question, and one that I'm struggling with myself. In the past, I used to want to help others in some way (I know that this kinda goes against the materialistic description of myself I provided in the previous question), but lately I've begun to realize that I care less and less about helping people. I still want to "do good" in some way, but recently I'm more concerned about being having a mentally stimulating job I can be excited about doing each morning. I'm also finding myself caring a lot more about money than I did before. Maybe that's just a byproduct of me growing up and finding out how the world works?

And I also want to find a partner. I've generally been bad at making other people happy, but I'm hoping I can find a partner that I can really jive with and make happy. I think if I were to do this with just one person, I'd feel fulfilled (because it's been so hard for me in the past).

3) Of the seven deadly sins, which one(s) do you relate to the most and the least and why?

The most: Envy. I deleted social media for this very purpose because I found myself getting jealous of other people based on their academic/career/romantic achievements. I find it hard to appreciate what I have.
The least: Gluttony, probably. I don't spend too much money on food; I only consume what I need to survive.

4) Analyzing your relationships with others, briefly describe:
a) The type of people you are drawn to

People who have their s*** together. I love to see someone who has a direction in life and is committed to realizing whatever dream they may have (I'm very attracted to alpha women). I also like to see people appreciate what they have, as this is something that I often struggle with. I want to get over this "it's never enough" mindset and arrive at a place where I can finally understand how lucky I am and be happy living life. But I don't know if I'll ever arrive at that point. Hopefully I do.

I also love people who say whatever they're feeling. I don't trust people who try to coddle me and try to sugarcoat everything (though there is a time for that too).

b) The type of people who are drawn to you

Honestly I have a hard time believing that people are drawn to me in the first place, haha. I personally don't think I'm that attractive. But I do have friends and generally seem to be liked amongst most people.

I guess, in my close group of friends, I tend to attract the career-focused, quieter, socially reserved type. Oh and we're all nerds as well. But I also do have plenty of friends that are commanding extroverts (but I find these people harder to be friends with as they don't really seem to have a whole lot of time for me).

All of the girls I've dated have been quiet and studious.

c) The type of people you are repulsed by

Overly proud people that place too much of a value on themselves and are not willing to see any other perspectives. In other words, narcissists. I've met a couple of these people in real life and each time, the conversation descended into shade-throwing because of how insufferable they proved to be.

I also don't like overly emotional people. I tried to date a girl who was like this, and she legit burst into tears every other time we met up. I kept telling her that perhaps seeing a professional might help but she kept saying she's fine and ultimately I just got fed up with how much she was unwilling to solve her issues. But don't get me wrong: emotions are not a turn off. It's just excessive emotions that can't be kept in check that are a turn-off.

5)What are the traits in others that you admire but you cannot emulate yourself? Elaborate.

1. Charisma is probably a big one. I really want to have people need me and actively want to spend time with me. I've been trying to work on this a lot.

2. Another big one: empathy and patience. I would say I'm OK with these things at the moment, but I really want to be better as my relationships have fallen apart because I got too hasty/wasn't able to see things from the other person's point of view.

3. One more: confidence. I want to be able to walk into a room and immediately make my presence felt. I'm a smaller fellow so this is hard from a physical standpoint but I've seen guys much smaller than me assert their dominance over much larger people. There has to be something they're doing that allows them to do that.

6) Describe your relationship with the following:
a) Anger

I used to be quite irritable when I was younger. I would lash out and yell at people a lot. I've mellowed out as I've hit my 20s, so maybe my past anger was just puberty lol. Nowadays, I still get angry, but don't take it out on other people. I usually just get angry at myself whenever I fail to do something/do something badly.

b) Shame

Yes, I feel this quite a lot, especially when I don't do as well on something as I could have. But the shame usually doesn't linger. I try to pick myself back up and look to the future almost immediately.

c) Fear

I usually don't let fear dictate any of my decisions in life. Yes, I'm afraid of a lot of things, but I try and move forward as best I can. I can't remember the last time I let fear hold me back from doing something substantial. I suppose the only thing I'm truly afraid of is talking to a girl I have a crush on because my social skills are sub zero haha.

d) Love/passion

I understand familial love quite well, and I'm happy to engage in it. I love to dote on my brothers or my parents. I've never felt romantic love for anyone, so I don't understand it quite as well, but I think it does exist and it's waiting for me out there somewhere. I just need to have the patience to find it.

I love to be passionate about something. It's the greatest feeling in the world, and it drives most of my decisions in life. If I'm not passionate about something, then I'm probably not going to pay it any mind.

e) Conflict

I don't handle conflict too well. I always have a desire to "win" any argument that comes up in my personal/academic life (so I end up becoming quite combative). I'm also not good at mediating conflict between other people. This happens a lot with my parents and it usually escalates out of control, and I end up just leaving the scene. I need to be better in this aspect of life.

7) What are some of the themes that have played a prominent role in your life (ie. A struggle you’ve been unable to conquer, ect)?

1. A desire to do something good. I know I mentioned above that I'm finding myself caring less and less about helping other people, but I still "generally" want to do something valuable for society at large. I want to be useful in some way, and not just a waste of air.
2. Proving myself "worthy". My parents came to this country, giving up everything in the process, and then built up very successful lives all over again in a foreign country. I want to prove myself worthy of this sacrifice, somehow. I don't want to be 45 and working in a grocery store for a living.
3. Leaving the past behind, and looking to the future. I don't like to look back on my teenage years; they were full of mental and physical problems. I want to become a completely new person from whom I was back then.

8) Answer only one of the following:

[Under college aged] What do you plan on studying/working as in the future? How did you go about deciding this? If this is not your ideal area of pursuit, what would be?

I'm not under college aged! Already found my path (medicine).

9) When meeting a new person, what do you tend to focus on?

I usually don't like to judge someone way too early. But I guess the first thing I tend to zero in on is how confident they are. Are they making eye contact, or constantly looking down and shuffling their feet? Do they speak with purpose and clarity? I also look at how self centered they appear to be. Do they just keep focusing on themselves in the conversation, or do they ask me stuff about my life too? I think I've said this, but I really don't like self centered people. There always needs to be a reciprocity in most social interactions.

10) How do you feel about humanity as a whole? What do you feel are some of the biggest problems the human race faces and why?

I think people are, at their core, rotten. People perform good acts all the time, but eventually, things always return to the same rotten state they were in before. Humans, instinctually, are primal creatures that really only care about themselves. Such a basic, selfish instinct is, at its root, evil. Humanity has tried its utmost to remedy this primal instinct by developing moral reasoning, religion etc but I don't think we'll ever be able to overcome that rotten instinct.

But that's one view. If we take that primal instinct out of the picture entirely and consider actions by themselves, it becomes easier to delineate concepts like "good" or "evil". And thus, we can more easily discern good people from bad people. So I guess the malignancy of humans depends on whether you want to consider this instinct, and consider humans as something more evolved from common animals.

This selfishness is THE biggest problem facing humanity at large. If we keep thinking about ourselves, and placing too much weight on borders, political treatises, laws, regulations (not that these things have no value; without them, we would not have made it as far as we have), then we're done for. We need to be able to look out for humanity as a collective. I also think another problem facing humanity is our bond to the past. We need to be able to snap out of archaic, useless methods of thinking that have no place in modern society.

11) What are some of your hobbies and interests?

Most of my hobbies/interests are really just ways for me to de-stress. Here are the most significant ones:

1) Weightlifting/sports. This is, by far, THE best way to destress and forget about your problems for a little bit. Nothing else compares. I don't do these things competitively, only for my own personal health (I used to be quite overweight).
2) Video games. Again, a great way to destress. I love strategy games and anything competitive.
3) Reading. I've gotten into this recently. I've found that reading for an hour before bed really helps me sleep better.
4) Music. I recently looked at my "2020 Spotify Wrapped" and it turns out I listened to music for 48 000 minutes (or 33 days) this year. I really love it. Love to discover new artists/songs.
5) Netflix. Also another great way to forget about your problems for a bit.
6) Dancing. This is another recent one. I'm not a great dancer, and would never dream of doing it competitively, but it's fun to just jam out to music when no one's home and move your body however you want.

Some interests:

Astronomy, politics, medicine related stuff, anything history related (I love to read about past wars/political incidents etc)

13) How do you usually “hang out” with your friend(s)? When answering, think about what activities you tend to choose, whether you hang out with one person at once or many, whether or not you initiate the interaction.

Usually when I hang out with friends, we will do one of a few things: 1) play video games or sports together, 2) watch a movie or TV show together, 3) just sit and talk, or 4) have a party and get super wasted (this doesn't happen too much). I generally enjoy all of these activities and I'm usually OK when interacting with friends. I might be a little awkward sometimes but they're tolerant and are able to look past that. People tell me I come across as confident, so maybe I'm not as socially awkward as I picture myself to be.

I usually like to hang out with people many at a time because I'll have to speak less (I'm an introvert so every time I speak I can feel my energy bar being depleted haha). I don't mind one on one conversations (especially online), but they're significantly harder to carry out. But when I'm with a close friend or significant other, they're not that difficult.

Whether I initiate the interaction depends on the social adeptness of my other friends. If they're significantly more awkward/quiet than I am, then I will initiate and lead the activity. If not, then I'm usually the one being invited to whatever activity is taking place (this is usually the case).

14) What is more important, actions or words? Why?

Yes, actions do speak louder than words. I've often began to feel that nowadays, words are just becoming empty air. People say things, and don't follow through with them. I think I'm just naturally distrusting of people, which is why I don't really place a whole lot of emphasis on words (I've had a lot of bad experiences where I've been "betrayed" by other people who wooed me with sweet words). An action is so much more valuable.

15) Oh dear, you’ve been cursed by a witch! It’s ok though, you get a choice on which curse you will receive. Will you choose….
a) To never be able to experience the sensation of taste
b) To be immortal
c) To lose your memories
d) To be poor for the rest of your life
e) Or to never experience passion
Elaborate on why!

a) Yep, no. I love food too much.
c) I know I mentioned above that while I want to move on from the past, I don't want to move on COMPLETELY. My past pain, failure, heartbreak has all informed who I am today. I would not want to lose memories of these things. They have made me strong.
d) Probably not. I mentioned my ambition. I don't want to be in a position where I can't provide for my future family.
e) Yeah, no. I mentioned before how passion informs everything I do. If I were to lose this I would just become a blob

which leaves....

c) TO BE IMMORTAL. Honestly, I'm kinda excited by this. I'm so interested in the state of humanity at large and I would love to see how we as a race would change in the future. But then again, I would lose all my family and friends. I'd be in perpetual heartbreak. But eventually, I think I'd move on from that heartbreak, and start making new friends, new families etc. And who knows, I may not end up being immortal for long. Global warming or a nuclear holocaust might kill everyone at some point. And this might be kinda dark, but in this case I think suicide might actually be justified. I mean, I've literally been cursed, and also my loved ones are no longer around and will not feel the pain of my death! (FYI, I am NOT CURRENTLY SUICIDAL. This is only a hypothetical). So all in all, I think the odds of me living for centuries and centuries would be pretty low.

16) What do you hope to avoid being? If it helps, describe a person who embodies what you avoid/you as a villain, ect.

I don't want to be a sad, bitter old man that knows, in his heart, that he did absolutely nothing with his life. I don't want to be alone, surrounded by absolutely no family or friends, simply "surviving" and trying to scrape through each day as best he can. To me, being useless and insignificant is a fate worse than death. Life is a gift; we have to be willing to do OUR UTMOST, TO THE POINT OF EXHAUSTION in the time that we've been given. As a great man once said, "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us".

17) How do you relate to obsession? Do you tend to "merge" with others or your interests? How do you feel about the idea of doing this?

Whenever I do get obsessed with something (usually a video game or TV show), I usually end up "phasing" that obsession out of my daily regimen. For example, I'll only end up playing video games on 5 out of 7 days, then 3 out of 7 days, then only 1 out of 7 days. This usually works a lot better than immediately depriving yourself of the activity/object straight away.

I value my work and productivity immensely so I will not let any obsession get the better of me.

18) Organized or messy? Plans and blueprints or impulse and surprises? What are your preferences and tendencies?

Not organized at all. My room is a heap of stuff, my bathroom is cleaned every few months (yuck). The only thing that might be organized in my life are my work/school files on my computer. But I usually retroactively organize them. In the moment, I'll leave them in a heap too, haha.

I usually have a "general" plan or blueprint in my mind whenever I do something significant. I'm not too good with small details, so I tend to focus on the "big picture". I'm also not too good at improvising, so the idea of impulses and surprises is generally not too appealing (unless it's a low stakes, fun activity, in which case I love to be impulsive and be surprised).

19) How do you subjectively view comfort and how do you create comfort in your life and surroundings?

It's very important to be comfortable. I'm a bit of a nomad; I'm always moving around from place to place, trying to be comfortable in whatever I'm doing. One night, I might sleep on my bed. Another night, I might sleep on the floor. One day, I might work in the cold basement. Another day, I'll go to the library. So yeah, it really depends on what I'm feeling at the moment. I guess I'm a bit mercurial in that sense.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are an ISFP. Your dislike of selfishness and your desire for helping others suggests that you are not Fe blind, so that rules out INTJ. An Ni-dom would normally have problems with living in the moment and they would have a clearer idea of what they would want to achieve. Your lack of focus on the past rules out Ne-Si users. ISFPs can also be quite competitive.

As for your enneagram, I would say that you are a 3w2 so/sx. Your desire to achieve things as well as your desire to help others suggest 3w2.

Your tritype is 3w2 - 7w8 - 9w1 so/sx.

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You are an ISFP. Your dislike of selfishness and your desire for helping others suggests that you are not Fe blind, so that rules out INTJ.

Any type can want to help others, being helpful isn't a trait specific to Fe.

Your lack of focus on the past rules out Ne-Si users.

I wouldn't be so quick to connect a "past" focus to this axis. Si/Introverted Sensing really makes no sense to be linked to the past, but rather internal physical sensations and pleasures, and also comfort. This axis leans itself quite heavily toward comfort and relaxation. In fact the whole, Si = past and Ni = future thing is quite the false "dichotomy" - the two tend to be linked.

As for your enneagram, I would say that you are a 3w2 so/sx. Your desire to achieve things as well as your desire to help others suggest 3w2.

I find this to be quite an overgeneralization. I think if asked, the majority of people would say they want to achieve things and help others. It fails to take into account the motivations and desires of each of these types.