• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Seeking help with self typing (questionnaire)

mofongo

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My tip is to be careful what people say is deep and important, because what appears to be deep and important might not be deep and important at all. And my second tip is to be careful about what people say is "the real essence".
I don’t know if you’re getting the impression that I’m parroting what other people are saying without thinking, but that’s not what I’m doing. I think enneagram is deeper than MBTI because of its emphasis fears and defense mechanisms, it covers much more personal territory which I find to be extremely helpful in self development.

“Also, anxiety as a core emotion? I dont remember that being related to neither 9 or 5 (6, perhaps?).”
Anxiety is central to the head triad so yes it is a core emotion in 5s as well as 6s and 7s, just as anger is central to the gut triad and shame to the heart triad.

The Enneagram theory is hundreds of years old, i think I already mentioned on this thread but I am not sure, but not all parts that you had read comes from the original enneagram and there is no way we can know what belongs or not to the original Enneagram (tri-type doesnt). So, basically, there isnt a clear "real essence" of Enneagram, it doesnt matter how convincing someone make sound that there is so. So I wouldnt recommend to ignore the 9 profile description because as if it isnt a "real essence" of Enneagram, at least the type description part of the enneagram should be from the original enneagram. The fears are less stable overtime than the motivations or the profiles, at least in my own opinion, and they are prone to being dictated by what happened to you (your past traumas, for example) than what you really are. So, you being a core 5 and 9 as the second fix makes way more sense to you, because being way too different from the core description is definitely a problem and I think that you are a little bit too off from the core 5 description. Also, anxiety as a core emotion? I dont remember that being related to neither 9 or 5 (6, perhaps?).
This is kind of a non-argument. There’s no way to know if the real essence of enneagram is the core fear, so I should just assume it’s the behavior? That doesn’t make sense, especially considering the mechanisms and behaviors that are characteristic of each enneagram type are a function of their core fear. (The motivations go hand in hand with the core fear too.) People can act in the same way for different reasons, so a system that just describes a superficial pattern of behavior and leaves it at that has a pretty limited use. Whether an idea is old or not shouldn’t be the determining factor in deciding if it’s correct either, what really matters is if it’s logically consistent and accurately reflects reality, which the core fears in enneagram certainly seem to do. Old ideas can be refined and perfected, assuming that ideas are complete and untouchable from the moment of conception is a pretty regressive mindset.
I also went in on how avoidant I have been in the past and how I’ve had problems with repression, stagnation, and excessive accommodation, which is quite in line with common 9 problems, so I’m not too sure of where you’re seeing the discrepancies.

Anyway, as I had said in another thread somewhere some weeks ago, if you are very similar on both then you can somewhat see both as your core and just pick the one you like the most instead (the one that sounds cooler to you). As Jung said, "In the foregoing descriptions I have no desire to give my readers the impression that such pure types occur at all frequently in actual practice", although he was saying that to the core cognitive functions type (Ti-dom, Se-dom, etc...) I think that applies well in various typology systems (as you are definitely not a pure ISTP and perhaps ISTP 9 can communicate that better).
I don't think this is a fair comparison. Cognitive functions are modes of processing and judging the world, so it makes sense that people could hone them since they’re somewhat akin to a skill in that way, and can be developed as such with maturity and life experience. Enneagram on the other hand is a wound that forms in childhood. It’s a product of the ego. You go up or down on a health scale, your core fears and motivations don't just exist one day and then change the next, just like how you can’t forcibly change your cognitive functions. If you ignore the fear and only go by superficial behaviors you have a terribly vague and unstable system where people would change types depending on their moods. A personality system where you can just pick “whichever sounds cooler” has no real purpose.
I think instead of comparing cognitive functions vs enneagram behaviors it would be more accurate to compare cognitive function produced behavior and enneagram behavior. You can have a spontaneous ENTP and ESTP who both act spontaneous in the same way but for different reasons, like you would have an 8 and a counterphobic 6 lash out in similar ways but for completely different reasons.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I dont think you got what Im talking about... It is as if we are speaking in different frequencies here.
Happens all the time with me anyway. Sorry for that.

Whether an idea is old or not shouldn’t be the determining factor in deciding if it’s correct either, what really matters is if it’s logically consistent and accurately reflects reality, which the core fears in enneagram certainly seem to do.

This is actually what lies behind my central point and this certainty is what I dont have for my own brain's sake.
What differentiates these stuff from astrology for the moment are indeed the self-report tests. Different from MBTI and Big Five, the Enneagram has not been tested that much. The few stuff that I could read about the enneagram on Google Scholar only had the nine types at their original descriptions, with a few exceptions that had stuff like development. You can read a resume of that here:
e-space

The core fears and motivations has not been properly revised and they should be quite difficult to do so. When the enneagram system is read by other systems, such as Big 5, as it is done in the article, some questions starts to show up - for example, in the heart-head-gut, a heart type show up full of thinkers which doesnt really make much sense. However, what Im trying to tell you is that the places where you read stuff are full of people who can make anything sound so logical when it really isnt - they are good at sound convincing. So one answer of their own is that the heart type full of MBTI thinkers is a heart type because they "deny thinking" (something like that), but you can say that to basically any feeler on MBTI and to Fi-dom and Fe-dom type in Jung typology.

What I am trying to communicate with this example is that I dont take what they say a 100% for granted. So, for example, if they say that 9s are avoidant, I ask myself "is it?", I also question myself "Couldnt be avoidant behaviour be an introvert characteristic?", "If avoidance is an introvert characteristic, and 4s, 5s, 6s are mostly composed by introverts, then couldn't they be avoidant too?". What I generally do is to not focus on myself on a small part of theory that is full of risks and unreliable (the "mechanisms", the fears and the desires, especially the earlier), but instead I prefer to focus on the whole thing. What I am trying to say is that you not relating to the normal type 9 profile is a significant problem for you to consider yourself a type 9 core, and because of Google Scholar articles I trust more the profile descriptions instead of these fears, motivations and stuff. I hope I made it clearer now.

This is kind of a non-argument. There’s no way to know if the real essence of enneagram is the core fear, so I should just assume it’s the behavior? That doesn’t make sense, especially considering the mechanisms and behaviors that are characteristic of each enneagram type are a function of their core fear. (The motivations go hand in hand with the core fear too.) People can act in the same way for different reasons, so a system that just describes a superficial pattern of behavior and leaves it at that has a pretty limited use. Whether an idea is old or not shouldn’t be the determining factor in deciding if it’s correct either, what really matters is if it’s logically consistent and accurately reflects reality, which the core fears in enneagram certainly seem to do. Old ideas can be refined and perfected, assuming that ideas are complete and untouchable from the moment of conception is a pretty regressive mindset.

I already partially explained by answering the last quote, but repeating for the sake of clarity.. since I dont have much reasons to fully trust their claims about fear, motivations and mechanisms (specially because I dont really know if they really glues together consistently), I consider these plus the behaviour and type profiles. What Im trying to tell you is to not discard the profiles and use just the fears and the mechanisms, so I like to evaluate considering motivations, fears and behaviours from type profile, not just motivations and fears.

The reason I say the enneagram is old is that the latter attachments made to it (which we dont know exactly which are) could be dead wrong while the old enneagram could be very right. People didnt have truly rigorously monitored these attachments, so these new attachment could have at logical inconsistencies (actually, I think some of them just do).

I also went in on how avoidant I have been in the past and how I’ve had problems with repression, stagnation, and excessive accommodation, which is quite in line with common 9 problems, so I’m not too sure of where you’re seeing the discrepancies.
That is a good point.

I don't think this is a fair comparison. Cognitive functions are modes of processing and judging the world, so it makes sense that people could hone them since they’re somewhat akin to a skill in that way, and can be developed as such with maturity and life experience. Enneagram on the other hand is a wound that forms in childhood. It’s a product of the ego. You go up or down on a health scale, your core fears and motivations don't just exist one day and then change the next, just like how you can’t forcibly change your cognitive functions. If you ignore the fear and only go by superficial behaviors you have a terribly vague and unstable system where people would change types depending on their moods. A personality system where you can just pick “whichever sounds cooler” has no real purpose.
I think instead of comparing cognitive functions vs enneagram behaviors it would be more accurate to compare cognitive function produced behavior and enneagram behavior. You can have a spontaneous ENTP and ESTP who both act spontaneous in the same way but for different reasons, like you would have an 8 and a counterphobic 6 lash out in similar ways but for completely different reasons.

Bold part: You had basically described one of the reasons that the MBTI test-retest rate is not a 100%, but instead something like 60-70% (in a window of... I dont know if it is a month or a year). However, the super deep theory where I can detect a 100% your own unchangeable core type is still yet to make it to the existance - a one that would have 80-95% of test-restest rate would be amazing already (with many or at least some multiple types, of course). And the cognitive functions are way less immune to that than one can think of.

What I was trying to tell you with that comparison is that, at the same time that we dont have only one hyper central type on Jungian typology, we dont have that either on other systems as well. What Im trying to communicate is that the notion of "I am a 9 therefore I cant be a 5" is a very black and white thinking. That is why I like tri-types way better regardless of the centers and preferable with no centers at al and just the types on a raw base instead, because they help you to describe yourself in terms of multiple types and not with the black and white thinking of "I am a 9 therefore I cant be a 5", which on the fears department might translate as "I have fear A therefore I dont have fear B", because you can have both. And if both run strong towards you, then saying you are both isnt wrong. If you relate to the trait description of one, but the fears and motivations of the other, the most rational answer is that you are a mix of both, that is what Im trying to say here. If you are a mix of both and both runs strong on you, then just picking the one you like the most isnt a self-lie, because both are acceptable answers.

mofongo

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=32874]Vendrah[/MENTION]

Ugh I wrote up a whole thing and it didn't post for some reason so I'm gonna paraphrase here, sorry if it's messy lol

I understand what you’re saying, but a certain grade of uncertainty is inherent in these typology systems since these are all pseudosciences. The only one that has any “real” validity is the Big 5, MBTI is seen as outdated and meaningless in most academic circles nowadays, so if you’re against speculation and uncertainty I’m not too sure what you’re doing on a typology forum.

Tests are completely dependent on the knowledge of the person creating the test and the self awareness of the individual taking it, so I don’t think the statistics are very meaningful. This isn’t a hard science by any means, so I don’t really feel the need to apply rigorous scientific standards to subjects such as this (I do enough of that at university and my job lol). In the absence of quantifiable standards then you have to look mainly at internal consistency, which personally I believe enneagram definitely has when studied in depth.

Just because it hasn’t been proven, doesn’t mean it isn’t interesting to talk about and dissect. I think limiting yourself to just what can be proved is a bit silly when dealing with pseudosciences. If you’re uncomfortable with uncertainty you might as well abandon discussing any sort of personality typology system that isn’t the Big 5. Not saying that trying to find quantifiable data on these things is bad but the truth is the bulk of this stuff is just speculation, so saying that uncertain parts of a theory should be avoided doesn’t make sense, because the whole thing is uncertain, and it doesn’t claim to be anything other than that. Thus why I focus on internal consistency, and like I said previously, I’m not just believing whatever sounds convincing, obviously I judge it to see if it fits with the rest of what I’ve learned or if it sounds gimmicky. When you read enough you learn to distinguish what is consistent throughout the theory and applicable to real life. It’s not perfect but, again, looking for total certainty in pseudosciences is unrealistic.

I think we differ fundamentally in how we see these things, which is fine of course. Basically what I’m trying to say is that just because it hasn’t been proven doesn’t mean it can’t help with personal growth, and just picking and choosing whatever type I like seems pretty useless outside of self gratification, hence why I’m not a fan of that approach.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
[MENTION=32874]Vendrah[/MENTION]

Ugh I wrote up a whole thing and it didn't post for some reason so I'm gonna paraphrase here, sorry if it's messy lol

I understand what you’re saying, but a certain grade of uncertainty is inherent in these typology systems since these are all pseudosciences. The only one that has any “real” validity is the Big 5, MBTI is seen as outdated and meaningless in most academic circles nowadays, so if you’re against speculation and uncertainty I’m not too sure what you’re doing on a typology forum.

Tests are completely dependent on the knowledge of the person creating the test and the self awareness of the individual taking it, so I don’t think the statistics are very meaningful. This isn’t a hard science by any means, so I don’t really feel the need to apply rigorous scientific standards to subjects such as this (I do enough of that at university and my job lol). In the absence of quantifiable standards then you have to look mainly at internal consistency, which personally I believe enneagram definitely has when studied in depth.

Just because it hasn’t been proven, doesn’t mean it isn’t interesting to talk about and dissect. I think limiting yourself to just what can be proved is a bit silly when dealing with pseudosciences. If you’re uncomfortable with uncertainty you might as well abandon discussing any sort of personality typology system that isn’t the Big 5. Not saying that trying to find quantifiable data on these things is bad but the truth is the bulk of this stuff is just speculation, so saying that uncertain parts of a theory should be avoided doesn’t make sense, because the whole thing is uncertain, and it doesn’t claim to be anything other than that. Thus why I focus on internal consistency, and like I said previously, I’m not just believing whatever sounds convincing, obviously I judge it to see if it fits with the rest of what I’ve learned or if it sounds gimmicky. When you read enough you learn to distinguish what is consistent throughout the theory and applicable to real life. It’s not perfect but, again, looking for total certainty in pseudosciences is unrealistic.

I think we differ fundamentally in how we see these things, which is fine of course. Basically what I’m trying to say is that just because it hasn’t been proven doesn’t mean it can’t help with personal growth, and just picking and choosing whatever type I like seems pretty useless outside of self gratification, hence why I’m not a fan of that approach.

And that is just reinforcement to my "take the whole thing into account", but specially a reinforce to "9 or 5? Pick whichever you think its coolest".

mofongo

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And that is just reinforcement to my "take the whole thing into account", but specially a reinforce to "9 or 5? Pick whichever you think its coolest".

... It's really not. The absence of quantifiabe rules doesn't mean a system can't have any rules at all, but we can agree to disagree. (edit: typo)

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
... It's really not. The absence of quantifiabe rules doesn't mean a system can't have any rules at all, but we can agree to disagree. (edit: typo)

But if you do that then you are coming back from the "a certain grade of uncertainty", because it is exactly because there is uncertainty on the fears and motivations that you should take into account the profile descriptions too.

But we can agree to disagree then.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
ESFP (Se primary with Fi auxiliary, Te tertiary with Ni inferior)

It is an Se dom who tends have early interest in sports in a portion of an athlete. Other type may also have the inclination but not like the training of an athlete portion if carefully measured in certain indicators, like frequency of exercise. Some who I identify as Se dom like MBTI ESFP and ESTP can even advance their career further to a professional sportsman. But since you have Interest in theoretical math, you are kind have Te-Ni function, which is in the stack of ESFP also. You may be an ESFP balance that can get their thinking function active.
mofongo said:
Something research oriented but active. I love science related field work since I like to move around and actually do things but still analyze and make sense of them.
I kind a interpret it like this You want to do some research but not research in a laboratory like, or researcher that spends most of their time on a desk. What you mean Probably Archaeology, which the one I have in mind. Their research is on excavation site, digging and expecting to find some artifacts.

mofongo

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESFP (Se primary with Fi auxiliary, Te tertiary with Ni inferior)

It is an Se dom who tends have early interest in sports in a portion of an athlete. Other type may also have the inclination but not like the training of an athlete portion if carefully measured in certain indicators, like frequency of exercise. Some who I identify as Se dom like MBTI ESFP and ESTP can even advance their career further to a professional sportsman. But since you have Interest in theoretical math, you are kind have Te-Ni function, which is in the stack of ESFP also. You may be an ESFP balance that can get their thinking function active. I kind a interpret it like this
Interesting, I hadn't seriously considered ESFP. What exactly makes you say Fi over Ti? And why is theoretical math a Te-Ni subject but not Ti-Ni? And about the sports thing, I never was active in sports at all lol, but I really wanted to be later on while looking back.

You want to do some research but not research in a laboratory like, or researcher that spends most of their time on a desk. What you mean Probably Archaeology, which the one I have in mind. Their research is on excavation site, digging and expecting to find some artifacts.
Funny you say that, I actually considered studying archaeology for a long time and only gave it up because it wasn't a viable option for me at the time. I'm in ecology now which has a similar field work/lab work balance which I definitely enjoy so it still worked out.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
mofongo said:
And why is theoretical math a Te-Ni subject but not Ti-Ni

To answer the question, We have to familiarize ourselves with Extrovert thinking, and introvert thinking theory.
You can read introvert thinking and extroverted thinking in Jung Psychological types chapter X for more Jungian description, if You want. While many characteristic of Ti and Te is explained in that book, I am going to highlight two major contrast that is related to your question: Subjective reality that Ti can be conscious of and objective reality that Te can be conscious of.
And we need to answer the question Is math a subjective reality or an objective one?, which might be philosophical.
Subjective reality and objective reality of math is a relevant question to raise, since it is directly related to the contrasting character reality that introvert thinking and extrovert thinking psychological function can be conscious of.

Let's take an arithmetic example, 1+1=2, does it applies only to the person who thinks it as such or to anybody, regardless anyone realize it or not? Another example (Trigonometry), Pythagorean theorem states that the area of the square whose side is the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the areas of the squares on the other two sides. Does it applie to any right angle triangle whether or not anyone thinks so or only apply to any math student who thinks so. If, a random student don't think so, will right triangle still be like what Pythagoras has said? Or had Pythagoras not discovered the theorem, would right triangle relation of hypotenuse and the other two sides have been like what he has found?You can always take another example of math, any, it can be formula, etc, and try answering the same question.

And try relating it with introvert thinking and extrovert thinking contrasting reality that they can be conscious of: subjectivity and objectivity I was highlighting. That's how I got my answer.

Following Jung and Isabel Briggs Meyrs, Pairing Te as primary is possible only with Si, and Ni aux, not with Se, and Ne. You can read this in Psychological Types, Ch X. 11 The principal and auxiliary function. I would say Pairing Tiprimary-Niaux vice versa or Tiprimary-Si aux don't really follow Jung and Myers. May be the person who wishes to pair Introvert judging (Ti,Fi) as primary and introvert perceiving (Si,Ni) wants to develop their own theory, which I wouldn't do if I were they.

Last edited: