• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need help Enneatyping myself

Desert_Dweller

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm fairly new to the Enneagram, only having discovered it in the past few months. I I'm pretty sure I'm a 7. I identify with the core motivation of a 7, and every test I take gives me some variant of 7 (except for one that gave me 6w5, go figure). most of the time I get 7w6, but the ranked preference types I've taken have listed 8 as my second highest-scoring type instead. The descriptions for both wing-types are kind of a stretch for me; I enjoy a healthy debate which would suggest an 8 wing but there is a line beyond which argument isn't fun anymore namely when people get angry. At the same time, having good manners is something I value highly in people (and I react very negatively to bad manners) , which suggests a 6 wing to me, but I find people who are obsessed with rules in other areas of life pedantic and annoying (no offense intended for any 6s). I should point out though that my understanding of the wing is the "method" you subconsciously choose to achieve your core motivation; for 7w6 its through following a set of rules to finesse their way through obstacles to pleasure, whereas 7w8s barrel through those obstacles. Please tell me if I'm misunderstanding. Given that I don't fully identify with either, I can't confidently identify my wing. Again, I know the important thing isn't your behaviors, but the motivation behind them, but if thats true I dont see the use of limiting behavioral manifestations to the two neighboring types.

I've considered tri-typing myself, but I feel like tri-type muddies the waters in terms of a search for one core motivation/fear by having three centers; especially when you add wings to each centers it seems like trying to find bits of every type in each person, which unless I'm misunderstanding it isn't the point of the Enneagram. FWIW I've taken 3 tri-type tests and gotten 3 different results:7-1-4,7-1-3, and 7-2-9. I also feel like the other personality types I identify with most in terms of rationalizing my behaviors are 2 and 3, which isn't allowed by the tri-type theory, unless I'm mistaken. I help people so that I can remove any negativity that they may be putting out and create positivity that I can feed off of, and I often fpcus on what I have in common with people so that I can fit in and feed off the positive energy from more,larger social interactions-this also ensures that I'm not bored and distracted from any pain, which I think fits nicely with the social 7 instinctual subtype.
I know this is a lot for one thread: what I'm asking is for people to help type me according to their favorite theory, whether it's wing, tri-type, or subtype, and help correct anything I may be misunderstanding about any of the three theories. Any and all input is appreciated :)

Last edited:

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Answer a questionnaire. Then your core type and tritype can be determined.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I'm fairly new to the Enneagram, only having discovered it in the past few months. I I'm pretty sure I'm a 7. I identify with the core motivation of a 7, and every test I take gives me some variant of 7 (except for one that gave me 6w5, go figure). most of the time I get 7w6, but the ranked preference types I've taken have listed 8 as my second highest-scoring type instead. The descriptions for both wing-types are kind of a stretch for me; I enjoy a healthy debate which would suggest an 8 wing but there is a line beyond which argument isn't fun anymore namely when people get angry. At the same time, having good manners is something I value highly in people (and I react very negatively to bad manners) , which suggests a 6 wing to me, but I find people who are obsessed with rules in other areas of life pedantic and annoying (no offense intended for any 6s). I should point out though that my understanding of the wing is the "method" you subconsciously choose to achieve your core motivation; for 7w6 its through following a set of rules to finesse their way through obstacles to pleasure, whereas 7w8s barrel through those obstacles. Please tell me if I'm misunderstanding. Given that I don't fully identify with either, I can't confidently identify my wing. Again, I know the important thing isn't your behaviors, but the motivation behind them, but if thats true I dont see the use of limiting behavioral manifestations to the two neighboring types.

I've considered tri-typing myself, but I feel like tri-type muddies the waters in terms of a search for one core motivation/fear by having three centers; especially when you add wings to each centers it seems like trying to find bits of every type in each person, which unless I'm misunderstanding it isn't the point of the Enneagram. FWIW I've taken 3 tri-type tests and gotten 3 different results:7-1-4,7-1-3, and 7-2-9. I also feel like the other personality types I identify with most in terms of rationalizing my behaviors are 2 and 3, which isn't allowed by the tri-type theory, unless I'm mistaken. I help people so that I can remove any negativity that they may be putting out and create positivity that I can feed off of, and I often fpcus on what I have in common with people so that I can fit in and feed off the positive energy from more,larger social interactions-this also ensures that I'm not bored and distracted from any pain, which I think fits nicely with the social 7 instinctual subtype.
I know this is a lot for one thread: what I'm asking is for people to help type me according to their favorite theory, whether it's wing, tri-type, or subtype, and help correct anything I may be misunderstanding about any of the three theories. Any and all input is appreciated :)

The theory of wing has some problems, being the best example the 9w8 and 8w9.
9 and 8 have a tendency to form opposites of each other: One is aggressive, the other is calm and passive. This is the core characteristic of both and they are opposites. What happens in lots of test results is that it is not usual the wing to show up right after. Whenever the enneagram is read by other system, they (8 and 9) do form opposites, regardless if it is Big Five or MBTI.

The theory of tri-types is something more... I dont know how to say it.
The enneagram is the oldest typology system with at least 200 years old, but tri-type exists by something like a decade or two as an attachment. I dont agree with it in some aspects. The tri-type supposedly comes out of studies, however these studies are only mention: They dont have a Google Scholar paper, were never repeated, etc... Tri-type has problems too, just for example, type 3 is a heart type and yet is mostly composed by Te-doms.

So, you getting 2 and 3 is not that much of a problem, just a sign of strong Fe (yeah, I jump from one system to another this easy hhehehehe).

I have a enneagram to MBTI converter, you can try and test combos here to check consistency:
https://www.quotev.com/quiz/12991371/Enneagram-tri-type-to-MBTI

From these 3 tri-types you mention, only 7-2-9 is the most compatible with ENFP.

Desert_Dweller

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've seen a few sets of questionnaire answers floating around here. Where can I find one?