• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type confusion

falling2fast

MBTI Type
INXJ
Wow. I should have known. Lol.

Dream was the wrong word. I should have said, does function order affect how you view yourself in story context (first person, third person, etc.). Now, I realize that this isn't exactly a type dependant tendency; I was really wondering if anyone has analyzed the question on a deeper level. cognitive processes -> perceptions -> awareness -> ... It seems to me that an INTP would tend to internalize a story more so than an ENFP. I also realize that it is not as simple as that. However, some type of trend must exist even if it's a non-repeating pattern.

G.Kai

MBTI Type
INFJ
My INTJ husband believes dreams are something to do with blood flow to the brain or something like that. I don't think dreaming has anything to do with what type you are. This information might be useful.

I'm INFJ, so I have bizarre dreams, period. However, when I sleep on my back, I have incredibly sordid night terrors. I've often wondered if gravity is putting more blood into my cerebellum - motor functions - my physical activities are much more vivid when I dream lying on my back. I find myself with precise dexterity and complicated movements. This is when dreams are of the most terrifying situations - perhaps lying on my back puts me in a more vulnerable position. So maybe it's a combination of blood flow and vulnerability. What do you think?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I'm INFJ, so I have bizarre dreams, period. However, when I sleep on my back, I have incredibly sordid night terrors. I've often wondered if gravity is putting more blood into my cerebellum - motor functions - my physical activities are much more vivid when I dream lying on my back. I find myself with precise dexterity and complicated movements. This is when dreams are of the most terrifying situations - perhaps lying on my back puts me in a more vulnerable position. So maybe it's a combination of blood flow and vulnerability. What do you think?
I'm not sure. These days I rarely remember my dreams and when I sleep on my back I don't have nightmares but I do snore. Still I think there's more to dreams than just blood flow but I am less analytical with them at the age I am now, compared to when I was in my 20's. Some is probably physical and some a mental release.

When I was younger every now and then I would awake and feel as though something or someone was pushing me down. When I would try to get up it was impossible. It was terrifying and to this day I don't know what that was but I'd like to think I was dreaming and it was just a blood flow thing. To this day I can't sleep without the TV or a light on.

falling2fast

MBTI Type
INXJ
G.Kai said:

Honestly, I wouldn't think that position alone would cause a difference in dreaming to that extent. I would consider what happens in your day to cause you to choose to sleep on your back.

G.Kai

MBTI Type
INFJ
Honestly, I wouldn't think that position alone would cause a difference in dreaming to that extent. I would consider what happens in your day to cause you to choose to sleep on your back.

I never consciously choose to sleep on my back, because quite frankly, it makes an extreme difference in the way I dream. It's always been that way, all my life.:)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think dreaming has anything to do with what type you are.

Wouldn't Fs make more feeling based decisions in their dreams, and Ts with thinking based decision? Wouldn't that make a big difference in how the dream will turn out? As for the content of dreams, I think personality and type could definitely play a part also.

falling2fast

MBTI Type
INXJ
G.Kai said:
I never consciously choose to sleep on my back, because quite frankly, it makes an extreme difference in the way I dream. It's always been that way, all my life.:)

Perhaps, it's stress levels or tension that causes you to be more comfortable one way or another. I do believe that dreams are as visions and other types of symbolic representations, subjective and controllable. More anxiety can cause more intense or disturbing perceptions.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Wouldn't Fs make more feeling based decisions in their dreams, and Ts with thinking based decision? Wouldn't that make a big difference in how the dream will turn out? As for the content of dreams, I think personality and type could definitely play a part also.
That makes sense. My husbands dreams are more aggressive whereas my tend to be of a helpful nature. For example one dream I remember having several years ago was Oprah and Gail (her bff) sweeping our front porch. I watched Oprah every day back then and the dream was very comforting to me as if they were helping to clear out some things that were bothering me at the time.

falling2fast

MBTI Type
INXJ
Jen, what would you say is the most drastic difference between your personality and your husband's?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Helpful! it definitely makes sense put that way.

Does the X mean that you are undecided or just that you prefer both functions? Is it like being ambidextrous, or just preferring one hand over the other for specific tasks, ability verses adaptability? I've seen it related to functional maturity. It seems to me that I am fairly able to control the functions according to the need of the situation. I guess I'm trying to figure out if INXJ is really a type or more of a mix of types. If I can be both INTJ and INFJ, could I also lean toward INFP but not INTP? Is it inclusive or exclusive?
Some of us use x in place of the proper letter when we don't know what it is yet.
Type is not intended to be ambidextrous.
In theory, you would be one very confused human being if you were not differentiated in your preferences.

When you're trying to decipher your type, you need to remember how you were when you were between the ages of 8 and 20.
That would give you a more accurate view of what your type was to start with.
You obviously have made some adjustments now, but the basic skeleton never changes.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Jen, what would you say is the most drastic difference between your personality and your husband's?
Okay, I have to tell you that I and several others who I consider skilled at typing people think Jen is about 1,000 times more likely ESFJ than INFJ, so take any intertype dynamic advice with that grain of salt.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Does anyone know about my X questions earlier? Also does anyone know if how you dream is affected by N/S or T/F functions? Are there resources I could trust concerning these topics?
Okay, I answered the x question...

I have not noticed any correlation between type and dreaming,
and neither have I ever read anything about such connections.

We have threads about dreams every so often.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Some of us use x in place of the proper letter when we don't know what it is yet.
Type is not intended to be ambidextrous.
In theory, you would be one very confused human being if you were not differentiated in your preferences.

Well the actual MBTI and typology theories say people fall under one of 16 types. Their inherent type is fixed. Sometimes I wonder though whether a system using continuums might be more realistic.

Oh and I was using "X" before to indicate both types. INXJ for both INTJ and INFJ simply because I'm lazy.

Jack: Time to show off your people typing skills... why don't you try typing him. :alttongue:

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Okay, I have to tell you that I and several others who I consider skilled at typing people think Jen is about 1,000 times more likely ESFJ than INFJ, so take any intertype dynamic advice with that grain of salt.
So whats that 3, 4 people who have never laid eyes on me think that? I've had more than 10 tell me they believe I'm an INFJ (5 of who have actually met and spent time with me) and several who say ENFJ. Are you saying they're not intelligent enough to determine what type of person I am? This obsession of yours is becoming tiresome. Think you can go more than three days without mentioning what type I am? Odd behavior for someone who throws around an "I don't give a shit attitude" constantly.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
So what, is that 3, 4 people who have never laid eyes on me think that? I've had more than 10 tell me they believe I'm an INFJ (5 of who have actually met and spent time with me) and several who say ENFJ. Are you saying they're not intelligent enough to determine what type of person I am? This obsession of yours is becoming tiresome. Think you can go more than three days without mentioning what type I am? Odd behavior for someone who throws around an "I don't give a shit attitude" constantly.
You've misinterpreted my attitude because you are ESFJ. The things we give a shit about are mutually exclusive, but I give just as much of a shit about my things as you do yours.

The people who happened to agree with me were already people I considered skilled "typists."

I was merely giving advice to the newcomer, as I naturally consider any "What it's like to be INFJ" advice coming from an ESFJ to lack accuracy.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP

Was going to ask you, Jack, if you've ever actually met Jen...

So what, is that 3, 4 people who have never laid eyes on me think that? I've had more than 10 tell me they believe I'm an INFJ (5 of who have actually met and spent time with me) and several who say ENFJ.

... but I guess not. Even if you think Jen's posts indicate ESFJ-ness (which I don't particularly see), it's difficult to type people (correctly) on that alone. Typing's by nature a pretty fuzzy classification system (by design, I think) - and there's always much more you don't see about others than you do see, which is why it's something you (and everyone, including Jen :)) have to decide for yourself. Not that others' observations can't be useful, but thinking that you can "type" someone else definitively, against their own assessments, seems like a great way to be wrong.

Sorry for the partial off-topic-ness, Falling2Fast. I think that in the end, it's not particularly important which type you are or aren't - but if your assessment is telling you one thing, you should probably place more trust in your assessment than that of someone else - even someone like your wife, who knows you well.

When I read your first post, my thought was that your wife could very well be making an assessment of you based on a comparison with herself... I think many people tend to do that. Just because you're not a caricature of any given trait (MBTI-wise or not), doesn't mean that it doesn't apply to you. And there's nothing wrong with saying "Hmm, I'm sorta like INTJ, and sorta like INFJ, and sorta like INFP." That can be insightful too.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Even if you think Jen's posts indicate ESFJ-ness (which I don't particularly see), it's difficult to type people (correctly) on that alone. Typing's by nature a pretty fuzzy classification system (by design, I think) - and there's always much more you don't see about others than you do see, which is why it's something you (and everyone, including Jen :)) have to decide for yourself.
Difficult? Not for everyone.

What you don't see is just as important as what you do see.

I don't know if you've noticed, but more SJs by FAR than NT, NF, or SP will make statements like "I don't fit any one type." I could go into the whys, but I won't.

Not that others' observations can't be useful, but thinking that you can "type" someone else definitively, against their own assessments, seems like a great way to be wrong.

If I wasn't confident, I wouldn't argue it. Are you really going to tell me that the average ESFJ would be adept at typing herself or anyone else via analysis? I don't think you've thought this through, my friend.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Well the actual MBTI and typology theories say people fall under one of 16 types. Their inherent type is fixed. Sometimes I wonder though whether a system using continuums might be more realistic.

I agree, I think that it's far more realistic. The axis of extroversion/introversion has been studied way more than MBTI functions, for instance, and it's been shown to be a spectrum, and includes ambiverts. If this contradicts MBTI, well, I say look to where more research has been done and side with that. :yes:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I agree, I think that it's far more realistic. The axis of extroversion/introversion has been studied way more than MBTI functions, for instance, and it's been shown to be a spectrum, and includes ambiverts. If this contradicts MBTI, well, I say look to where more research has been done and side with that. :yes:
Y'all should try that continuum system out, and let me know when you realize a continuum system doesn't relate to type classification, and has no practical use.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Difficult? Not for everyone.

What you don't see is just as important as what you do see.
Just because you come to conclusions easily doesn't make you right. Doesn't make you wrong, but step back and think about it. Are you so stunningly insightful that you know the inner workings of complete strangers better than they know themselves, based on a few forum posts? Does the possibility that you're *not* seeing the whole person occur to you? What you don't see *is* important, like you say... but just because you can't see it doesn't mean that it's not there (especially for an online short-time acquaintance). Obviously we all have opinions about others on the forum as to type, etc., but trying to overrule someone else's self-assessment, stating a high likelihood or certainty? Like I said, a great way to be wrong.

I don't know if you've noticed, but more SJs by FAR than NT, NF, or SP will make statements like "I don't fit any one type." I could go into the whys, but I won't.
Actually, I have NOT noticed this. The SJ's I know do not tend to say such things - they're actually quite confident in who they are, type-wise (and otherwise). What I have noticed is that sometimes, people with strong type preferences (person A) can tend to make assumptions about people who don't have (or do not display) strong preferences (Person B), and in such cases almost always assume that person B must somehow prefer the opposite of what person A does (I've caught myself doing this, and it's why I noted that Falling2Fast's wife may be assuming that he fits into one type simply because she exhibits an opposite type very strongly.)

If I wasn't confident, I wouldn't argue it. Are you really going to tell me that the average ESFJ would be adept at typing herself or anyone else via analysis? I don't think you've thought this through, my friend.
:nono: You'll note that I used the word "assessment" and not "analysis." (I did, in fact, think it through.) While "analysis" may or may not be an appropriate word, I'm quite confident that an ESFJ (or anyone else - come on, even intp's can do it :D) could learn about type and make decisions about what fits them best (note that I'm most certainly not conceding to your belief that Jen's an ESFJ.)

Y'all should try that continuum system out, and let me know when you realize a continuum system doesn't relate to type classification, and has no practical use.
Just because it might not relate to type classification doesn't make it a) wrong, or b)impractical. Not everyone fits into a type so easily, especially when it comes to introversion/extroversion.

Anyway, I've said my bit. Sorry for the derailment, Falling2Fast, and good night all.