• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please help me identify my MBTI type

emilymxarie

I've been trying to figure out my MBTI type for years, but even after reading into cognitive functions I haven't been able to type myself. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could scan over my text and state their opinion on the vibe of my writing.

Over the years, I've probably taken every shitty personality test on the internet & received every type as a result but ISFJ, ENFJ and ESFJ. My best friend thinks I might be ISFP, but she's not versed in MBTI typing tbf, while another friend typed me as INTP (which I doubt).
Posted the same text on reddit before, but I only received one reply & this person suggested I might be ENFP, but I guess I'm a bit more of an introvert.

(the questionnaire is from r/MBTITypeMe, sorry for any possible spelling mistakes or weirdly structured sentences, I'm not a native speaker & it was late in the evening when I filled it out)

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The impression I got from you is that you like to stay active and busy, have a low tolerance for boredom and solitude. You said that you like exploring new places, listening to music, going to concerts, but It seems that the motivation behind it is simply the experience itself. I think you're rather easygoing and spontaneous, yet still grounded in reality... speculating about possibilities and meanings isn't your thing. So I think you're an extroverted SP type, most likely ESTP.

It's somewhat unfurtonate that you seem to have some problems with being uncoordinated, since it makes the whole typing process a bit more complicated, especially since the stereotype for ESP's is to be that kind of extreme sports person, which doesn't apply to you. Still, it's your enthusiasm and your exploratory nature that give the Se preference away. About T vs F, I picked T for those reasons: You mention being argumentative, you don't really care about fitting in, you see emotions as a hindrance, and you often question rules and authority. While you could attribute some of it to Fi function, I think it's rather indicative of a small thinking preference, but if you're unsure about it, you can look at ESFP as well. I'm fairly certain that you're not an introvert, and definitely not an FJ.

emilymxarie

First off, thank you soo much for reading through my text & taking your time to analyze me - your conclusion is really interesting, as those are two types I've never considered. One thing I've noticed while digging deeper into ESTP is that this type is very unlikely to go hand-in-hand with a 4w5 enneagram, which is the type I've tested as & can relate to. I'm extremely torn between E&I as well as T&F, depending on my current mood - I often feel like a walking contradiction.

You described my motivation for things very accurately! I'd say that I do speculate about meanings a lot tho, I always over-analyze social situations, for example, such as the true meaning behind a sentence or a joke. I don't know if it actually relates to that, but in school, I always excelled in textual interpretations.

Also, I'm also rather unsure if I actually do enjoy being active 24/7, or if I use being busy all the time as a coping mechanism in order to block negative thoughts. I guess it is pretty difficult to type someone whose mental health isn't the best & who can't, for the love of god, describe themselves from an objective perspective. After re-reading my text, I'm unsure if I actually described myself or an idealized version of me I have in my head, lmao. :unsure:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
INFP from where I'm looking.

Mentioning love and hate and value. Ne and Si account of yourself.

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
One thing I've noticed while digging deeper into ESTP is that this type is very unlikely to go hand-in-hand with a 4w5 enneagram, which is the type I've tested as & can relate to. I'm extremely torn between E&I as well as T&F, depending on my current mood - I often feel like a walking contradiction.

I also have a difficult time with my own type, also T/F and E/I. The current pandemic situation let me realize that I'm not introverted... introverts dealt much better with staying at home and not seeing their friends. Sometimes you don't know how much you value something until it's gone. Also, there's a reason why I don't have a type label myself... I can't fully settle on one type, something is always off, it wouldn't be an accurate reflection of myself.

That said, I had a different enneagram type in mind for you when I answered previously, that one was 7w8. As mentioned before, you came across as outgoing and living-in-the-moment, strong indicators for type 7, and you even gave a good example in your second post.
Also, I'm also rather unsure if I actually do enjoy being active 24/7, or if I use being busy all the time as a coping mechanism in order to block negative thoughts.
that's textbook type 7. I picked the 8 wing because of your desire to be in control, and the "no bullshit" attitude, and sometimes confrontational nature. I could see some type 4 influence, and some of your interests may indicate a IxFP 4w5, but I generally avoid typing solely by behavior. What matters when trying to get type right is not what you do, but why you do it. The whole point of cog. functions is to determine thoughts processes, not just the outcome.

That said, just because I think you're an SP type doesn't mean you can't reflect about meanings. Just having a preference for sensing doesn't mean being incapable of abstract. If that was the case, then intuitives would also be terrible at perceiving their environment, and INxJ's would constantly run into walls or lanterns.

So... I still think it is ESxP. Maybe consider the introverted variants as well, especially if you think the representation of yourself in your post is inaccurate.

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
I think you have Te and Fi. And I think Ne is likely. So I'm leaning towards NFP.

I'm curious about your bossy side - when you're bossy, are people surprised by it? Or are they used to it already?

I'm also curious about what your motivations are for wanting to study psychology. Is it the helping people aspect? Or the understanding the human brain aspect? Or both?

I also think you're probably more likely to be E than I, simply because I types have a bit more tolerance for staying home alone for an entire weekend. Not all extroverts are outgoing in the usual sense, but they do crave stimulation a bit more than introverts.

Falcon112

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll make a bigger mess and say ISFP. I allowed myself play with your text a little bit and bold some parts. Warning - these spoilers are quite long.

Okay, to sum up.
My explanations might not be clear, because I lack some skills at communication and often get misunderstood. So if something wasn't clear, feel free to reply. My problem is that I often think that something is obvious for the second person and, thus, misunderstandings occur. It comes from my way of thinking – I rarely vocalise or visualise my thoughts. My mind is almost empty, but some processes are going on there. It's hard to explain, but I hope that it excuses me a bit.

My general impression when I read your post for the first time was ISFP. When I decided to disassemble it and analyze each part, underlining what seemed important to me. Let me write them down here.

Sure, they are cut out of the context, but you'll manage to see what they come from. It's the way you described yourself and these are the words that caught my attention. You can print them, throw on the floor and play with these puzzles for as long as you wish.

My main impression is that you are the person ready to fight for her values and beliefs. They are strong, they determine your perception of the world and you can't stand hypocrisy. When it comes to defend what you believe, you won't hesitate and will act bravely. On the other hand, strong emotions are something you have some difficulties with. I don't know your personal situation, but it may be linked to your experiences. You are probably well atuned to your feelings and experience them deeply. Authenticity, honesty and compliance with conscience are something you value really much. That's why I'm pretty sure you are a Fi dom.

Even if you don't feel good at sports or any physical activity, I think that you auxilary function is you excitement-seeking, willing to discover and live in presence Se. In contrary to what you say about listening to boring lessons or P.E. results, you might be well attuned to your five senses. Walking and feeling your feet touching the ground. Sensing the wind on your face. Hearing beautiful music, which is your passion. Tasting new dishes. Breathing, tasting fresh air, reacting to the temperature. Seeking beautiful views due to travelling. In my opinion what you described isn't Ne, but Se. And it's your second function, because...

I think that your Ni is stronger than Te. You can focus on your future, but only if it is neccessary. You don't trust this function, but it exists and helps you dig deeper in your fields of interests, explore them to the fullest. And your Te? I noticed some examples of you aims towards efficiency and gathering data from the outside rather than using inner logic. You dislike thinking about future, making long-term plans, but are capable of it. And your perfectionism might be your gift as well as your curse.

emilymxarie

I also have a difficult time with my own type, also T/F and E/I. The current pandemic situation let me realize that I'm not introverted... introverts dealt much better with staying at home and not seeing their friends. Sometimes you don't know how much you value something until it's gone. Also, there's a reason why I don't have a type label myself... I can't fully settle on one type, something is always off, it wouldn't be an accurate reflection of myself.

That said, I had a different enneagram type in mind for you when I answered previously, that one was 7w8. As mentioned before, you came across as outgoing and living-in-the-moment, strong indicators for type 7, and you even gave a good example in your second post.

that's textbook type 7. I picked the 8 wing because of your desire to be in control, and the "no bullshit" attitude, and sometimes confrontational nature. I could see some type 4 influence, and some of your interests may indicate a IxFP 4w5, but I generally avoid typing solely by behavior. What matters when trying to get type right is not what you do, but why you do it. The whole point of cog. functions is to determine thoughts processes, not just the outcome.

That said, just because I think you're an SP type doesn't mean you can't reflect about meanings. Just having a preference for sensing doesn't mean being incapable of abstract. If that was the case, then intuitives would also be terrible at perceiving their environment, and INxJ's would constantly run into walls or lanterns.

So... I still think it is ESxP. Maybe consider the introverted variants as well, especially if you think the representation of yourself in your post is inaccurate.

I'm unsure as well if I'll manage to settle on a type due to this reason, I understand that with this being a theory, no description of any type could ever fully "get" me, so I always get discouraged by them.

What primarily resonates so well with me about 4w5 is the described desire to fully grasp one's personal identity, as understanding myself is one of my main aims in life. When I discovered the enneagram system, I instantly dismissed type 7 the moment I saw it being labeled as "the optimist" somewhere, which probably was a mistake. I'm gonna take a proper look at it now.

...and this shows that I'll have to spend quite a large amount of time reading into cognitive functions. Please forgive this train of reasoning LMAO.

emilymxarie

I think you have Te and Fi. And I think Ne is likely. So I'm leaning towards NFP.

I'm curious about your bossy side - when you're bossy, are people surprised by it? Or are they used to it already?

I'm also curious about what your motivations are for wanting to study psychology. Is it the helping people aspect? Or the understanding the human brain aspect? Or both?

I also think you're probably more likely to be E than I, simply because I types have a bit more tolerance for staying home alone for an entire weekend. Not all extroverts are outgoing in the usual sense, but they do crave stimulation a bit more than introverts.

They're rather surprised - I'm way too shy to act bossy around people I don't share a strong bond with, not even that much around my friends tbh. I guess my bossy side mostly awakens when I'm under stress or pressure.

Regarding psychology, I think my focus is more on trying to understand human behaviour and motivation, and at the moment, I'm not leaning towards a career in psychotherapy, although helping people along the way would be something I'd like to do as well, just not as a full-time therapist.

Yup, that's true, it's been rather difficult for me to sort this out due to this general view of "extrovert = loud, outgoing, 24/7 partying" vs "introvert = shy, quiet, always in a corner reading a book". However, I'm unsure if my text is that reliable in assessing my extra/introversion, as I think I might've over-dramatized my feelings about being alone. I tend to lean towards me being an introvert again rn due to the fact that I REALLY dislike working in a team & only crave the company of my very close friends. I'm really unsure whether I do crave active stimulation or if I just use it as a way of escaping negative thoughts.

Thank you for your input! :)

emilymxarie

I'll make a bigger mess and say ISFP. I allowed myself play with your text a little bit and bold some parts. Warning - these spoilers are quite long.

Okay, to sum up.
My explanations might not be clear, because I lack some skills at communication and often get misunderstood. So if something wasn't clear, feel free to reply. My problem is that I often think that something is obvious for the second person and, thus, misunderstandings occur. It comes from my way of thinking – I rarely vocalise or visualise my thoughts. My mind is almost empty, but some processes are going on there. It's hard to explain, but I hope that it excuses me a bit.

My general impression when I read your post for the first time was ISFP. When I decided to disassemble it and analyze each part, underlining what seemed important to me. Let me write them down here.

Sure, they are cut out of the context, but you'll manage to see what they come from. It's the way you described yourself and these are the words that caught my attention. You can print them, throw on the floor and play with these puzzles for as long as you wish.

My main impression is that you are the person ready to fight for her values and beliefs. They are strong, they determine your perception of the world and you can't stand hypocrisy. When it comes to defend what you believe, you won't hesitate and will act bravely. On the other hand, strong emotions are something you have some difficulties with. I don't know your personal situation, but it may be linked to your experiences. You are probably well atuned to your feelings and experience them deeply. Authenticity, honesty and compliance with conscience are something you value really much. That's why I'm pretty sure you are a Fi dom.

Even if you don't feel good at sports or any physical activity, I think that you auxilary function is you excitement-seeking, willing to discover and live in presence Se. In contrary to what you say about listening to boring lessons or P.E. results, you might be well attuned to your five senses. Walking and feeling your feet touching the ground. Sensing the wind on your face. Hearing beautiful music, which is your passion. Tasting new dishes. Breathing, tasting fresh air, reacting to the temperature. Seeking beautiful views due to travelling. In my opinion what you described isn't Ne, but Se. And it's your second function, because...

I think that your Ni is stronger than Te. You can focus on your future, but only if it is neccessary. You don't trust this function, but it exists and helps you dig deeper in your fields of interests, explore them to the fullest. And your Te? I noticed some examples of you aims towards efficiency and gathering data from the outside rather than using inner logic. You dislike thinking about future, making long-term plans, but are capable of it. And your perfectionism might be your gift as well as your curse.

Holy...Thank you for your thorough reply! Your train of thought in your explanations was easy to follow for me by the way, even though I'm not yet that familiar with cognitive functioning. Also, the way you describe your thought process sounds relatable & the way you've described me resonates deeply with me, however I wouldn't have been able to articulate it that well with words.

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
They're rather surprised - I'm way too shy to act bossy around people I don't share a strong bond with, not even that much around my friends tbh. I guess my bossy side mostly awakens when I'm under stress or pressure.

Ah, that's interesting. I think that could be a sign of you having Te somewhere low in the stack. I know a few people with tertiary Te and they have a sort of secret bossy streak, and they often say that people around them act surprised when it comes out.

I like Falcon112's analysis of you being Fi-dom, so I'm going to adjust my answer to IxFP.

This next question is almost definitely based on stereotyping, but would you say you can be competitive? All the xSFPs I know have an intense competitive streak (they hide it well except during games and sometimes sports), while the INFPs I know don't really have that at all. I wonder if that could help narrow it down.

emilymxarie

Ah, that's interesting. I think that could be a sign of you having Te somewhere low in the stack. I know a few people with tertiary Te and they have a sort of secret bossy streak, and they often say that people around them act surprised when it comes out.

I like Falcon112's analysis of you being Fi-dom, so I'm going to adjust my answer to IxFP.

This next question is almost definitely based on stereotyping, but would you say you can be competitive? All the xSFPs I know have an intense competitive streak (they hide it well except during games and sometimes sports), while the INFPs I know don't really have that at all. I wonder if that could help narrow it down.

I think I am, yeah. At the very least, I often compare myself to other people, and I would say that I do get both motivated as well as demotivated by doing so. I've especially noticed this during my school years, I always knew in the back of my head that measuring yourself against others is a idiotic thing to do, yet I never got over doing it.

Falcon112

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Holy...Thank you for your thorough reply! Your train of thought in your explanations was easy to follow for me by the way, even though I'm not yet that familiar with cognitive functioning. Also, the way you describe your thought process sounds relatable & the way you've described me resonates deeply with me, however I wouldn't have been able to articulate it that well with words.

I'm happy to hear that the mess wasn't too messy. Functions can be tricky.
If you could, let me know what type you relate to when you are certain. You said that my message was clear for you and I'm looking for correlation between functions and communication effectiveness. I'm used to bump into a bareer while communicating with the xNFPs, so you woke my curiosity. Maybe there is no correlation at all - I know way to little people to make such conclusions :D

Aren't ENTPs, being Ne doms, competetive, too? Se might be competetive, even on the third or fourth position, so there might be something.
I quickly checked statistics. I know that it's 16 personalities, but:

Playing to Win: Personality Type and the Drive to Compete

| 16Personalities

ENTJs > ENTPs > ESTJs > ESTPs > ENFJs > INTJs > ENFPs > ESFJs > INTPs > ISTJs > ISTPs > ESFPs > INFJs > INFPs > ISFJs > ISFPs

I drew the functions on the paper and this data isn't helpful at all. 16personalities doesn't measure functions and there probably are many mistyped people...
Highly competetive (>75%): ENTJ, ENTP, ESTJ, ESTP, ENFJ
Above average competetive (>63% - that's half between highest and lowest percentages): INTJ, ENFP, ESFJ, INTP, almost ISTJ
Below average competetive (>51%) - ISTP, ESFP
Low competetive (<51%) - INFJ, INFP, ISFJ, ISFP

Hypothesis 1: "thinking" and "intuitive" people (in 16personalities meaning) are more likely to be competetive... this conclusion doesn't give us any information because it's based on senseless data.
Hypothesis 2: young generation (people who take the 16personalities test) describe themselves as competetive. I can believe in this one.
Hypothesis 3: people from various types perceive the word "competetive" differently. You can see it on one diagram in the article.

I don't see any information about Se being competetive, it's rather said that Te is the function to be blamed. Or maybe it's the way I understand "competition". What do you think?

emilymxarie

I'm changing the read from INFP to ENFP.

Hm, one of my closest friends is without a doubt an ENFP and I'd say we're totally different in the way we approach things, in our view of the world & our reasoning processes. Some of the points of ENFPs description resonates with me quite well, but overall, I can't really see myself as being this type - the key characteristics I saw in every description of the type always included being charismatic & radiating enthusiasm, both of which I don't possess (there's still the possibility I might be an unhealthy one though?). Further, I've read that having NE as the primary function enables ENFP to always come up with new ideas & theories, but my head is always rather empty until I see/read/hear something which prompts my mind to become active again lmao. I'm also not that much of a people person and don't place that much value on communication and I generally tend to avoid thinking about the future. For example, it seems like my ENFP friend is actively thinking about future career paths very often & tries to gather as much information as possible about her ideas, whereas I'm out here thinking "ah well, I'll end up somewhere".

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I'm changing the read from INFP to ENFP.
To expand on this: my first typing was based on identifying phrases relating to cognitive functions, and then looking at the ratios of these. The ratios can vary greatly from context to context so this is quite unreliable. The ENFP typing is based on looking at the sequential order of your functions, which again looks at things such as phrases you use. Sequential order varies somewhat too, but in a way which can typically be identified through things like modulation (jumping to a weaker function) or secondary types (using the cognition of a type which isnt the type you use the most cognition of overall). So the ENFP read is stronger.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Hm, one of my closest friends is without a doubt an ENFP and I'd say we're totally different in the way we approach things, in our view of the world & our reasoning processes. Some of the points of ENFPs description resonates with me quite well, but overall, I can't really see myself as being this type - the key characteristics I saw in every description of the type always included being charismatic & radiating enthusiasm, both of which I don't possess (there's still the possibility I might be an unhealthy one though?). Further, I've read that having NE as the primary function enables ENFP to always come up with new ideas & theories, but my head is always rather empty until I see/read/hear something which prompts my mind to become active again lmao. I'm also not that much of a people person and don't place that much value on communication and I generally tend to avoid thinking about the future. For example, it seems like my ENFP friend is actively thinking about future career paths very often & tries to gather as much information as possible about her ideas, whereas I'm out here thinking "ah well, I'll end up somewhere".
Everything you just said fits with ENFP. ENFPs are not generally charismatic, thats ENFJs. The thing about your head being empty until something prompts it sounds like extroversion. Extroversion relates to things like external prompts moreso than socialising, especially in ENFP.
That other ENFP just sounds like theyre using their Te and Si in a particular way by focusing on career. If you cared about that sort of thing more perhaps you could do it too?
Edit: to clarify, your friend is using Ne and Fi by gathering ideas and filtering for personal use, but i think Si and Te are likely being used alongside them. Not every ENFP will have a tendency to use their functions like this. But they will gsther ideas, and they will filter for personal worth.

emilymxarie

I feel the need to elaborate how I perceive competitiveness within myself a bit further. I'm not someone who would cheat on a game or in sports in order to win, I don't possess any enthusiasm about winning in these fields, especially not when it comes to sports as I have no skills in them whatsoever anyway & because they aren't important, but rather fun activities.

When it comes to school (grades), I developed this tendency to gather confidence from receiving good grades in my favourite subjects. I think it ties in with my sense of identity in a way. For example, since elementary school, I've always been at the top of my classes in English. That's a fact I've always been proud of, and I've always felt like having other people who excel at it threatened my identity. I'm definitely guilty of measuring the worth of my work on visible results such as grades quite a bit.

So my competitive streak shows when I compare myself to others, and more often than not, I end up being demotivated & saddened when others surpass me, rather than being thriven to work harder to keep up with them. Concerning this, in my life I have often given up activities quickly, most of the time after comparing myself to others and/or feeling like I'll never be good at them anyway. Starting things and then moving on quickly is a passion of mine. It's not that I care about praise from others or that I desire to be above them, in fact winning something or having people know about my grades always makes me embarrassed & I tend to feel guilty afterwards, if that makes sense, because I hate bragging. I'm simply craving validation for myself.

Maybe competitiveness is the wrong word to describe this, but to sum it up, I think being competitive is related to situations where I feel like my identity & my self-worth are threatened.

emilymxarie

Everything you just said fits with ENFP. ENFPs are not generally charismatic, thats ENFJs. The thing about your head being empty until something prompts it sounds like extroversion. Extroversion relates to things like external prompts moreso than socialising, especially in ENFP.
That other ENFP just sounds like theyre using their Te and Si in a particular way by focusing on career. If you cared about that sort of thing more perhaps you could do it too?
Edit: to clarify, your friend is using Ne and Fi by gathering ideas and filtering for personal use, but i think Si and Te are likely being used alongside them. Not every ENFP will have a tendency to use their functions like this. But they will gsther ideas, and they will filter for personal worth.

Thank you for elaborating on your analysis. :)
I'm going to treat myself to a long read about the cognitive functions behind ENFP in order to give the type a chance, as right now, I'm obviously more or less basing my judgement on basic type descriptions.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
The lack of sports skills and excelling in english are so typical of enfp!

The competitiveness/grade focus would be Te.