• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or INFP...thoughts?!

jejunevision

Hi all!
Over the past couple decades I've taken the MBTI about a dozen times and almost always come up as an INFJ. Occasionally though I have had INFP as my result, including my most recent result when I took Typology Central's test today.
I tried doing some reading of articles that explain the difference between these types that are commonly confused for one another, but it didn't really become much clearer for me. With every other point made, I related to the other type! I took a test specifically made to help you work out which of these two types you are - the first time I was 53% INFP, 47% INFJ; the second time it was the other way around (took it a second time as I was so on the fence about a couple items - seemed to be what the results ultimately hinged on!). All a long winded way of saying, "I'm confused!"
Any insights (in layman terms, real-world examples) on the differences between these two types would be most appreciated! I'm also happy to answer any direct questions people have for me - just not sure where to begin to describe myself!

Thanks in advance!

jejunevision

Hi awbro,
Thanks for your response! I'm pretty confident I'm not a T. I'm not particularly analytical or into mathematics, science, computers etc. While I can be a logical thinker, it doesn't come very naturally to me - I can push myself to be strategic if it's to help a group run more smoothly to achieve our goal. I operate from my gut and my emotions a lot and find it hard to find the right words to explain/justify a choice I've made or a conclusion I've come to.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you considered ESTP? just kidding ;)

Do you relate more strongly to Fi or Fe? Ni or Ne? Are there functions that just seem foreign to you?

Another approach could be to look at the first post in this thread: A Quick Guide To Double-Checking Your Type

jejunevision

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahha! Good one, Luminous. Thanks heaps for directing me to that page. I think it's helped me feel more confident that I am an INFJ and gave me some insight into why lately I've occasionally been testing INFP as of late. In particular these descriptions were useful:

• Chart-the-Course (Directing and Responding). Typically knowing the plan and what needs to be done to reach the goal, they focus on keeping the team on track. (ISTJ, INTJ, INFJ, ISTP)
  • Behind-the-Scenes (Informing and Responding). With patience and a calm, quiet style, they focus on understanding and accommodation to lead the team to the best possible result. (ISFJ, INTP, INFP, ISFP)
I work with a lot of Ps and so I think I've been 'over riding' some of my innate J-ness to soften my interactions and seem a little less cold when engaging in team work.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- - - Updated - - -

Hahahha! Good one, Luminous. Thanks heaps for directing me to that page. I think it's helped me feel more confident that I am an INFJ and gave me some insight into why lately I've occasionally been testing INFP as of late. In particular these descriptions were useful:

• Chart-the-Course (Directing and Responding). Typically knowing the plan and what needs to be done to reach the goal, they focus on keeping the team on track. (ISTJ, INTJ, INFJ, ISTP)
  • Behind-the-Scenes (Informing and Responding). With patience and a calm, quiet style, they focus on understanding and accommodation to lead the team to the best possible result. (ISFJ, INTP, INFP, ISFP)
I work with a lot of Ps and so I think I've been 'over riding' some of my innate J-ness to soften my interactions and seem a little less cold when engaging in team work.

I'm glad that was helpful!

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
The ENFP suggestion was serious, you hooligans.

Yes it takes more than a few posts generally to base a type off of, but I'm not seeing INFJ so far.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
The ENFP suggestion was serious, you hooligans.

Yes it takes more than a few posts generally to base a type off of, but I'm not seeing INFJ so far.

The OP doesnt show much signs of any type with such short first post lol.

Hi all!
Over the past couple decades I've taken the MBTI about a dozen times and almost always come up as an INFJ. Occasionally though I have had INFP as my result, including my most recent result when I took Typology Central's test today.
I tried doing some reading of articles that explain the difference between these types that are commonly confused for one another, but it didn't really become much clearer for me. With every other point made, I related to the other type! I took a test specifically made to help you work out which of these two types you are - the first time I was 53% INFP, 47% INFJ; the second time it was the other way around (took it a second time as I was so on the fence about a couple items - seemed to be what the results ultimately hinged on!). All a long winded way of saying, "I'm confused!"
Any insights (in layman terms, real-world examples) on the differences between these two types would be most appreciated! I'm also happy to answer any direct questions people have for me - just not sure where to begin to describe myself!

Thanks in advance!

Borderlines are incredibly normal and usual. Perhaps you just have a borderline J/P and there is nothing wrong with that. You can be a little bit of both types and there is nothing wrong, and that doesnt necessarily means that your "typing journey" is incomplete. TBH I even consider that healthy, being too much a perceiver or too much of a judger can be quite unhealthy in different ways.

In my book, most people that are INF ends up typing themselves as INFJ. I guess the INFJ rarity and INFJ profile is more attractive than INFP. However, I deducted that in an official MBTI test most INF borderliners ends up being typed as INFP. I say that because the proportion between INFJs and INFPs on the forums is more or less equal: INFPs outnumber slightly INFJs, while in real life there are basically 2 INFPs per INFJ (World Projection Estimate). It is true that in the forums there are slightly more perceivers than judgers. However, from INs in World Projection Estimate there are a little bit less than 2 INXPs per INXJ, meaning that [INXPs in community slightly or somewhat outnumbering INXJs] is basically a translation from real world (and it is known that intuition and introversion weights way more than F/T and P/J dimensions). So that basically means that I can deduct that borderliners INFX should end up as INFPs for the official MBTI test. I know this might got a little bit complex but I hope you got the idea.

And yeah, I basically did not give you a clear answer because this doesnt necessarily has a clear answer.

In my own book here are the INFX graphs (INFJ and INFP equally represented):

4uXsgi9.png

f44zC8Q.png

The first graph comes from a cognitive function test, and the other one comes from dichotomy. If you really really want a pick I would recommend, based on this graph, to focus on the cognitive functions and not on dichotomy.

One tip is evaluating Ni vs Ne and Fi vs Fe, but you probably already know and tried that. A good and out-of-box tip is to evaluate Ni vs Fi, do you consistently score higher on Fi or Ni? If it is Fi, then its INFP, if Ni, its INFJ, but you likely score both quite closer and alternated.

The pair for INFP can be Fi-Ne or Fi-Ni, the pair for INFJ can be Ni-Fe or Ni-Fi (these alternative pairs comes from a loose Jungian interpretation, I could post a link to more detail about the alternative on Ni-Fi and Fi-Ni if you want).
Try paying attention at the first 3 functions. If your cognitive functions tests are arriving frequently at Fi-Ne-Ni, Fi-Ni-Ne, Fi-Ni-Fe, then its INFP. If they are arriving at Ni-Fe-Fi, Ni-Fi-Fe, Ni-Fi-Ne, then its INFJ. And yeah, at least for cognitive function tests screw Si vs Ti. Si and Ti as tertiary will only confuse you.
You can also, although I do consider myself that is unreliable, to try Se vs Te.
If Se is higher than Te, then INFP is most likely, if Te is higher than Se, then INFJ is more likely. But it must be a consistent and reasonable difference. Also, you must check if you are not a enneagram type 5, because if you are, doing that evaluation wont work.

But as I said, these are measures if you really want to make a decision, because as a borderline, INFP and INFJ can be the right answer. I would even say that, in a good resort, just pick which you want lol.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
The OP doesnt show much signs of any type with such a short first post lol.

The writing style doesn't strike me as Ni. They mentioned being more P to be less cold, but for a Ti+Fe type, you would expect the opposite to be the case. Also some other mentions like going off of emotions and the gut which doesn't ring true of how I would describe my own experiences, as an INFJ.

Going by function order, I got a vague read of ENFP from the OP.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
The writing style doesn't strike me as Ni. They mentioned being more P to be less cold, but for a Ti+Fe type, you would expect the opposite to be the case. Also some other mentions like going off of emotions and the gut which doesn't ring true of how I would describe my own experiences, as an INFJ.

Going by function order, I got a vague read of ENFP from the OP.

I think there is not enough text to proper evaluate a writing style.
I think the OP just asked "what are the differences between INFP and INFJ? & Help me picking one!"

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I think there is not enough text to proper evaluate a writing style.
I think the OP just asked "what are the differences between INFP and INFJ? & Help me picking one!"

Regarding telling the difference between INFJ and INFP, all I can say is read about cognitive functions, and try and determine which is the most prominent in your own cognition.

Understanding the functions well enough to do so can be somewhat easy to do an okay job at, but very difficult to do a good job at.

(I wasn't able to gain confirmation of my own type until I'd basically invented new theory)

jejunevision

The ENFP suggestion was serious, you hooligans. Yes it takes more than a few posts generally to base a type off of, but I'm not seeing INFJ so far.
My bad! Thoughts you might have been pulling my leg ;)
I am pretty confident I'm not an extravert. If the coronavirus stuck around forever, I'd be good. While I need occasional contact with one or two close friends, I find all social situations incredibly emotionally and socially draining. It takes so much out of me reading the other person, interpreting their body language, guessing at what they're thinking about me. I go into hyperdrive with gathering all this information to analyse. And because I'm spending all my time and energy doing the above, in group conversations, I'm always 2 beats behind - by the time I come up with something to say for topic A people are onto topic C!

jejunevision

The OP doesnt show much signs of any type with such short first post lol. Borderlines are incredibly normal and usual. Perhaps you just have a borderline J/P and there is nothing wrong with that. You can be a little bit of both types and there is nothing wrong, and that doesnt necessarily means that your "typing journey" is incomplete. TBH I even consider that healthy, being too much a perceiver or too much of a judger can be quite unhealthy in different ways. In my book, most people that are INF ends up typing themselves as INFJ. I guess the INFJ rarity and INFJ profile is more attractive than INFP. However, I deducted that in an official MBTI test most INF borderliners ends up being typed as INFP. I say that because the proportion between INFJs and INFPs on the forums is more or less equal: INFPs outnumber slightly INFJs, while in real life there are basically 2 INFPs per INFJ (World Projection Estimate). It is true that in the forums there are slightly more perceivers than judgers. However, from INs in World Projection Estimate there are a little bit less than 2 INXPs per INXJ, meaning that [INXPs in community slightly or somewhat outnumbering INXJs] is basically a translation from real world (and it is known that intuition and introversion weights way more than F/T and P/J dimensions). So that basically means that I can deduct that borderliners INFX should end up as INFPs for the official MBTI test. I know this might got a little bit complex but I hope you got the idea. And yeah, I basically did not give you a clear answer because this doesnt necessarily has a clear answer. In my own book here are the INFX graphs (INFJ and INFP equally represented):
4uXsgi9.png
f44zC8Q.png
The first graph comes from a cognitive function test, and the other one comes from dichotomy. If you really really want a pick I would recommend, based on this graph, to focus on the cognitive functions and not on dichotomy. One tip is evaluating Ni vs Ne and Fi vs Fe, but you probably already know and tried that. A good and out-of-box tip is to evaluate Ni vs Fi, do you consistently score higher on Fi or Ni? If it is Fi, then its INFP, if Ni, its INFJ, but you likely score both quite closer and alternated. The pair for INFP can be Fi-Ne or Fi-Ni, the pair for INFJ can be Ni-Fe or Ni-Fi (these alternative pairs comes from a loose Jungian interpretation, I could post a link to more detail about the alternative on Ni-Fi and Fi-Ni if you want). Try paying attention at the first 3 functions. If your cognitive functions tests are arriving frequently at Fi-Ne-Ni, Fi-Ni-Ne, Fi-Ni-Fe, then its INFP. If they are arriving at Ni-Fe-Fi, Ni-Fi-Fe, Ni-Fi-Ne, then its INFJ. And yeah, at least for cognitive function tests screw Si vs Ti. Si and Ti as tertiary will only confuse you. You can also, although I do consider myself that is unreliable, to try Se vs Te. If Se is higher than Te, then INFP is most likely, if Te is higher than Se, then INFJ is more likely. But it must be a consistent and reasonable difference. Also, you must check if you are not a enneagram type 5, because if you are, doing that evaluation wont work. But as I said, these are measures if you really want to make a decision, because as a borderline, INFP and INFJ can be the right answer. I would even say that, in a good resort, just pick which you want lol.
Thanks very much, Vendrah and Legion, for pointing me to the cognitive functions to reflect on. I'll definitely need to spend time doing that. Great to know that for approx every INFJ there are 2 INFPs. I am sure the uniqueness of the INFJ is what really drew me to it many years ago - now I'm at the life stage where feeling a little more 'normal' would be a welcomed blessing :p

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
My bad! Thoughts you might have been pulling my leg ;)
I am pretty confident I'm not an extravert. If the coronavirus stuck around forever, I'd be good. While I need occasional contact with one or two close friends, I find all social situations incredibly emotionally and socially draining. It takes so much out of me reading the other person, interpreting their body language, guessing at what they're thinking about me. I go into hyperdrive with gathering all this information to analyse. And because I'm spending all my time and energy doing the above, in group conversations, I'm always 2 beats behind - by the time I come up with something to say for topic A people are onto topic C!

Extrovert doesnt mean social, it means external/objective, and it can be hard to see how Ne is external. It just would mean that the first point of consideration generally is based on patterns. Seeing how things will develop around you. Playing with abstract ideas. And so on.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extrovert doesnt mean social, it means external/objective, and it can be hard to see how Ne is external. It just would mean that the first point of consideration generally is based on patterns. Seeing how things will develop around you. Playing with abstract ideas. And so on.

It depends on whether you're defining things by dichotomy or by cognitive function. :D

By dichotomy, I am an INFx or an INFj, and by function, INFP.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It depends on whether you're defining things by dichotomy or by cognitive function. :D

By dichotomy, I am an INFx or an INFj, and by function, INFP.

Even as a dichotomy, being social is just one facet of extroversion. Extroverts deal with information/objects directly, whereas introverts incorporate things into their inner world. Introversion is subjective because it's about how the information is seen in terms of what the person knows, rather than in terms of what others can see.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

As I like to repeat a lot of times, there are different concepts of I/E. Im just lazy to ctrc C and ctrl V just again, but you know what I speak of.

Seeing everything as a facet work although. But in Jungian terms, indeed the external vs internal is more important than social, while for MBTI is the opposite.

But the OP isnt asking for that XD.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
As I like to repeat a lot of times, there are different concepts of I/E. Im just lazy to ctrc C and ctrl V just again, but you know what I speak of.

Seeing everything as a facet work although. But in Jungian terms, indeed the external vs internal is more important than social, while for MBTI is the opposite.

But the OP isnt asking for that XD.

In terms of cognitive functions, a particular conceptualisation of I and E can definitely be better or worse than another. If MBTI uses the social aspect to a high degree, but MBTI also uses cognitive functions, does being social apply much to Ne, Se and Te? If it does, then all good, but if it doesn't then we're probably better off using external and internal, or objective and subjective.

So in other words: there are different concepts of I and E, but some are simply better than others in terms of matching up with how people are divided.