• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Ambiguity

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm still unsure, because, despite the 'every individual is the exception' concept, there seem to be a few traits that deviate from the type norm in proportion to my age.

Here are a few points I've typed up that might help:

--My eyes do get watery for a few emotional scenes from movies; just imagining myself in that situation stimulates an emotional response, though I contain it and it fades eventually.
Once, when I was eight, I cried so hard because I felt awful for Forest Gump-- not getting the lady in the end, and him being so naiively optimistic beforehand, got to me.

--I tend to pull certain body quirks and language patterns from other people.
Hand movements, for instance. Someone makes some kind of unique move with their hands when speaking, and then I tend to imitate that elsewhere.

--Light-hearted, general stories are ones I usually enjoy reading. Not to say that I don't appreciate a deep, meaningful piece every now-and-then, but that requires more mental preparation.
To me, the less-complex stories are like a fresh breeze. The heavier ones seem more congested, if I were to describe them.

--My room consists of clean, geometric furniture. Simplicity and crisp, clean lines with a smart design appeal to me.

--Topics like philosophy and art and anything surrounding critical thinking half appeal to me, half act as an obligation- as if I feel I won't really learn or progress(mentally) if I don't observe or read anything of the subject matter.

--I'm big on legitimacy of actions. If someone tries to use words and emotions used to elicit a certain response (mostly in terms of humor), I'm all over it.

--I enjoy determining the personalities and behaviors of people- their motivations, preferences, and why.

--If ever afflicted with an upseting emotion, it's remains inside, and I eventually rationalize(for the lack of a better word--maybe console?) with myself.

--Generally, I can determine how one person feels towards another, and vice versa, and (try to) identify the dynamics of the relationship, whether they be acquaintances, friends, or lovers.

--Concerning myself, however, it seems that how I percieve my actions in my head, at that moment, is quite different from how others see me, from second-hand information as well as video recordings of myself.

--I tend to monitor my thoughts and actions, trying to determine what would be most appropriate in the current situation. Also, if my thoughts are appropriate as well, both based on how the external world would percieve it and how it jives with me internally.

--Walking--mostly just to see the sunset and colors it projects-- is a favorite past-time of mine.

--Formulating ideas on how and why people act the way they do based on little information/interaction is something I do actively if presented with the respective data(for the lack of another synonym for information).

--Generally, I'm adequate at interpreting the message or symbols in a literature work with some guidance involved.

--I feel weary/hesitant when approaching more philosophical/critical thinking questions, as if I have to mentally prepare myself.

--When paired with less-than-ambitious individuals, I tend to adapt a more rigid role-- picky, some say. It's mostly just to compensate for the lack of leadership or structure.

--I tend to be very judgemental, classifying people based on a previously constructed schema of others with similar behaviors.

And that's what I have. Also, I'm no alien to people, and I often try to 'extrovert' myself, since, as I've learned, being receding and quiet doesn't do much for one's presentation.

Side Note: I had to edit this thing ten times over for all the mistakes I made/overlooked.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
  1. Do you get emotionally exhausted spending too much time with lots of people, or do you tend to get more energy from being around others?
  2. When taking in information, do you tend to see the big picture first, or do you tend to take in lots of unconnected bits of information? Do you remember the "gist" of something, or the details, usually?
  3. When making decisions, do you put yourself in other people's shoes, as it were, to measure how your decision might affect them, or do you try to follow rules and standards, treating everyone equally, regardless of whether someone's feelings get hurt?
  4. Do you prefer to plan ahead when you do things, or do you prefer to keep your options open as long as possible so you can be more spontaneous.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I can't answer those questions without some prior bias leaking into my responses. Each of those questions determine the E/I, S/N, T/F, P/J axes, right?

I've taken too many personality tests and read too much on it to give an answer that wouldn't conform to the type results I've had in the past. D8

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I can't answer those questions without some prior bias leaking into my responses. Each of those questions determine the E/I, S/N, T/F, P/J axes, right?

I've taken too many personality tests and read too much on it to give an answer that wouldn't conform to the type results I've had in the past. D8
Yes, you're right.
Well, if you want help figuring out your type, I'd be glad to help you.
Just answer the questions as fully and as honestly as you can.
I've been doing this over 15 years.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Ooh, 15 years, allow me to bow down bc time is more important than insight.

Anywayyyyy, your OP is tl;dr. Condense it.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Do you get emotionally exhausted spending too much time with lots of people, or do you tend to get more energy from being around others?

When taking in information, do you tend to see the big picture first, or do you tend to take in lots of unconnected bits of information? Do you remember the "gist" of something, or the details, usually?

When making decisions, do you put yourself in other people's shoes, as it were, to measure how your decision might affect them, or do you try to follow rules and standards, treating everyone equally, regardless of whether someone's feelings get hurt?

Do you prefer to plan ahead when you do things, or do you prefer to keep your options open as long as possible so you can be more spontaneous.
Fine, fine, finnnee.
1) I can say that I don't get any energy from people, per say, but I'm not drained after interacting with 'em.
2) I generally say the gist of things. I always forget the details when it's not necessary.
3) Well, most of the time, I try and place myself in people's shoes, but it doesn't come naturally to me. I might, however, consider it if it's really necessary.
4) My options tend to be open, most of the time.

See, I would, but I'm afraid I might omit helpful indicators. I quoted and smallened the size to compensate.

Though, I'm not sure if that helped more than hurt...

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Fine, fine, finnnee.
:smile: Thank you, Luv.
1) I can say that I don't get any energy from people, per say, but I'm not drained after interacting with 'em.
Well, as you can imagine, that's not exactly entirely helpful. You don't get energy from people... Which can you stand longer... being alone or being with a lot of people?

2) I generally say the gist of things. I always forget the details when it's not necessary.
Okay, so you believe you are probably an iNtuitive. I'll take you at your word for now.
3) Well, most of the time, I try and place myself in people's shoes, but it doesn't come naturally to me. I might, however, consider it if it's really necessary.
I don't see how you can say most of the time you consider other people's feelings but that it doesn't come naturally. Those are mutually exclusive in the context of MBTT. Between the ages of 8 and 18 did you mostly not consider the feelings of other people when speaking or making decisions?
4) My options tend to be open, most of the time.
You are saying you prefer to keep your options open as long as possible and it make you less comfortable to close off some of your options?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ooh, 15 years, allow me to bow down bc time is more important than insight.

I did not intend to diminish anyone else's talent by my comment. I only hoped to engender Airporte's trust - at least to the end that it would be considered worth the time of answering my post.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, as you can imagine, that's not exactly entirely helpful. You don't get energy from people... Which can you stand longer... being alone or being with a lot of people?
I suppose I could stand being alone longer.

I don't see how you can say most of the time you consider other people's feelings but that it doesn't come naturally. Those are mutually exclusive in the context of MBTT. Between the ages of 8 and 18 did you mostly not consider the feelings of other people when speaking or making decisions?
Well, maybe consider isn't the right word. I'd say it's more like figuring how people feel, and then deciding whether or not I should follow through with their thoughts if it's necessary in the situation, or ignore them and persist with what I was doing.

I'd say that when I was a lot younger, people's opinions would sway me to some extent, but that was when I was like... five, but I was obviously very young, so I would, either way.

Now, I'd say I more puruse whatever it is that I'm going to do, regardless of others' feelings. But I always thought that to be more me wanting my way rather than something objective.

You are saying you prefer to keep your options open as long as possible and it make you less comfortable to close off some of your options?
Yup.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Well, maybe consider isn't the right word. I'd say it's more like figuring how people feel, and then deciding whether or not I should follow through with their thoughts if it's necessary in the situation, or ignore them and persist with what I was doing.

I'd say that when I was a lot younger, people's opinions would sway me to some extent, but that was when I was like... five, but I was obviously very young, so I would, either way.

Now, I'd say I more pursue whatever it is that I'm going to do, regardless of others' feelings. But I always thought that to be more me wanting my way rather than something objective.

Yup.
So far I am pretty confident on IxxP.
I'm taking your word on N, but since you came to the forum behaving as some ISFP's have behaved, I can't say that I'm as confident as you are on that.

I have a friend who has frequently confessed to me that she was worried that she offended someone or hurt their feelings. This always seemed so absurd to me because she has got to be one of the most diplomatic people I know. She is so careful with her words! She really hates to hurt people's feelings. She is super-sensitive to the feelings of others. Before she speaks, or makes a decision that would impact others, it is automatic to her nature to consider how it would make them feel before she would say or do whatever it was.

On the other hand, I always thought that it was unfair to take people's feelings into account when making a decision. That seemed biased, to me. It was much preferred, I thought, to be an impartial judge, saying or doing what is right, regardless of whether someone gets their little feelings hurt. (I am 49 years of age now, so I have learned to be more balanced in that respect.)

Would you say you can relate more to my friend's way of being or would you say you have been more like me in your life - particularly between the ages of say, 8 and 18? Btw, if you don't mind, how old are you? (Knowing that helps a little.)

Bufo

MBTI Type
onto
Enneagram
5w4
Between the ages of 8 and 18 did you mostly not consider the feelings of other people when speaking or making decisions?

Is the answer to this question a conclusive evidence of T/F preference?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Between the ages of 8 and 18 did you mostly not consider the feelings of other people when speaking or making decisions?

I wouldn't say any single answer of any single question is conclusive evidence.
I am collecting the answers and assigning them varying values in my mind. When I feel like I have finally collected enough evidence, then I will feel comfortable enough to offer my opinion.

A person's type can influence the way they hear the question and what they think it means.
The way they answer can give just as much information as the answer itself.
It's my goal to speak the individual's language, so that I can make sure I am getting the answers I need.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
It's probably more like within the eighth and eighteenth years, there's a less likely chance that your functions might have balanced out due to age. Before that, obviously, there isn't much definition or substantiality in personality.

Would you say you can relate more to my friend's way of being or would you say you have been more like me in your life - particularly between the ages of say, 8 and 18? Btw, if you don't mind, how old are you?

Well, I'm certainly not like your friend. I could say I'm more similar to you, since I don't believe much of anything can be determined accurately if any bias or emotion is involved. Especially emotion, since it changes so often and has no long-term reliance.

Also, I'm fifteen. Heehee.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It's probably more like within the eighth and eighteenth years, there's a less likely chance that your functions might have balanced out due to age. Before that, obviously, there isn't much definition or substantiality in personality.

Well, I'm certainly not like your friend. I could say I'm more similar to you, since I don't believe much of anything can be determined accurately if any bias or emotion is involved. Especially emotion, since it changes so often and has no long-term reliance.

Also, I'm fifteen. Heehee.
After the age of 25, your results tend to get thrown off because of the development of previously lesser used functions.

Ok. So we have IxTP.

Name all the things you do for fun in your spare time.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I... go online.

Draw--sporadically. (Though it's more like doodling than anything else.)

Occasionally listen to music.

I might watch TV, but I prefer the silence.

I fleetingly think of observing ants one day, but it rarely crosses my mind until I see them.

And every once in a while play a videogame.

I don't have very many hobbies... Hmm.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I... go online.

Draw--sporadically. (Though it's more like doodling than anything else.)

Occasionally listen to music.

I might watch TV, but I prefer the silence.

I fleetingly think of observing ants one day, but it rarely crosses my mind until I see them.

And every once in a while play a videogame.

I don't have very many hobbies... Hmm.
Thank you.
If you were an ISTP, you might have at least one hobby where you do something like trick biking, skateboarding, rollerblading, running, etc.
So based on your more sedentary hobbies, I am going to say that it's probably most likely that you are an INTP, which is what you thought in the first place. I read through many of your posts. Dissonance thought your were an Fe user. Based on that, and what you have said about yourself, you are most likely INTP.

If you start feeling like you want to verify it again, I would go to the library and get some books. You are the best judge of your type. The online tests are somewhat hit or miss.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, that's very efficient of you, to go through my posts, even.

Thank you for your time!

So, I just happen to act a bit atypically from the normal INTP, then. My somewhat anomalic tendencies kind of confused me for a while, but if you've been through all the information I gave, then maybe not.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, that's very efficient of you, to go through my posts, even.

Thank you for your time!

So, I just happen to act a bit atypically from the normal INTP, then. My somewhat anomalic tendencies kind of confused me for a while, but if you've been through all the information I gave, then maybe not.
It takes more than just MB Type to describe a person. You are more complicated than that. While there is a core of stereotypical behavior that most INTPs might share for instance, as Carl Jung said, which I quote in my signature, "Every individual is an exception to the rule." No type description describes any one person 100%. MBTT describes tendencies, and in doing that, it can be useful for understanding yourself and others. I tell people that their type description should suit them about 85-90%.

But lest we leave any stone unturned, why do you think you are atypical from most INTPs?

And, you are quite welcome. :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
There are at least 480 INTPs who are members on this board. In the year I have been here, I have noticed that INTPs can be very different from each other. It's easier to spot the "extreme" ones. After you've been here a while, you'll probably notice the vast differences just in that one type.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I did not intend to diminish anyone else's talent by my comment. I only hoped to engender Airporte's trust - at least to the end that it would be considered worth the time of answering my post.
A strategic maneuver then. I would salute you, but the high degree of obviousness in your strategy could be a problem. There is caution to be had.

Now, I'd say I more puruse whatever it is that I'm going to do, regardless of others' feelings. But I always thought that to be more me wanting my way rather than something objective.

Yup.
INTP