• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could I be ISFJ?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
This thread is for me to post in doubts I have on whether I happen to be an ISFJ, rather than INFJ,

And for anyone else who has noticed something consistent with said possibility to chime in .

That is all.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I have a lot of theoretical interests, and tended to shy away from anything overly factual. I also notice INFJ, and sometimes INFP or ISFJ, function order in my posts.

On the other hand I frequently read forward emphaticness into my vlogs, and I tend to associate with SFs.

So there is an ISFJ possibility. ISFJ function order could be confused with INFJ, whereas most other types are unlikely to be.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
In the keys2cognition test I have always scored high in Ni, even when I thought I was an ISTJ.

In Mal12345's test, I took it both times and scored as INFJ highly both times. ISFJ was near the top both times as well.

I notice my Si more than my Ni, but I assume that's because Si is easier to notice because it is more concrete. It also has a habit of noticing things.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't have a hardcore breakdown yet, but insofar I haven't seen anything that leads me to think ISXJ for you.

TBH, even with no type listed, you have given me an INXJ impression from day one (though that was only a couple of weeks back for me). Something about the way that you approach type and cognitive functions, and the way that you give advice on life, as well as your general speaking pattern, reads introverted intuitive to me. The only thing I wasn't sure of is INFJ or INTJ, because I see both Fi and Ti tendencies from you, but I have no reason to doubt INFJ at this point.

This could be due to not having enough experience with ISXJs on this forum. Or it could be my finely tuned type radar finally waking up from its deep slumber ;) But I'll continue to take this into consideration.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm pretty sure I have primarily seen both Ni and Ti in you, so I don't really think ISFJ is that plausible for you? You're very theoretical in nature in a way that I really don't see from sensing types in general. Especially sensing dominants. I'd be curious where you think you have Si, just because I didn't get that impression from you, though not knowing your personally I could perhaps be missing something.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I don't have a hardcore breakdown yet, but insofar I haven't seen anything that leads me to think ISXJ for you.

TBH, even with no type listed, you have given me an INXJ impression from day one (though that was only a couple of weeks back for me). Something about the way that you approach type and cognitive functions, and the way that you give advice on life, as well as your general speaking pattern, reads introverted intuitive to me. The only thing I wasn't sure of is INFJ or INTJ, because I see both Fi and Ti tendencies from you, but I have no reason to doubt INFJ at this point.

This could be due to not having enough experience with ISXJs on this forum. Or it could be my finely tuned type radar finally waking up from its deep slumber ;) But I'll continue to take this into consideration.

Yeah I get general reads of people vibing like Ni doms, and part of the reason is "they vibe like me". So it definitely would surprise me if I really was Si dominant.

I'm pretty sure I have primarily seen both Ni and Ti in you, so I don't really think ISFJ is that plausible for you? You're very theoretical in nature in a way that I really don't see from sensing types in general. Especially sensing dominants. I'd be curious where you think you have Si, just because I didn't get that impression from you, though not knowing your personally I could perhaps be missing something.

Yeah I've had someone else mention Ni and Ti as well. Maybe multiple people. People irl who I ask (who don't necessarily know more than the basics of type) tend to guess I am INT. I've always been very theoretical, for as long as that term made sense to apply to people. I remember in first grade we played a dice game where you had to roll two dice and subtract one number from the other. One kid asked "which number do we subtract?" and the teacher answered "it has to be the smallest number or it wouldn't work", and I was like "what about negative numbers?" haha. I've also been into philosophy since I was at least 13. Free will, right and wrong, reality - those kinds of questions amongst others.

So yeah, the theoretical aspect makes sense for INFJ with Ni+Ti (I would say Ni, Ne and Ti are the most theoretical functions), but ISFJ would surely be quite different from that, although I know that ISFJs can get into philosophy and such as well.

Probably the main reason I was having doubts (the doubts come and go) is because when I look at my social circle irl... it's mostly SFs. When I look at the music I listen to... it's mostly SFs. Especially male ISFJ and female ESFP, that's a big pair of types in my life. Even in my (extended) family - male ISFJs and female SFPs.

So it was like... I'm constantly surrounded by that pairing of types... maybe I AM an ISFJ?

However, as far as friends etc. go, I do find that I relate quite well to INTJs. Like we bond on a level that wouldn't make sense if I were ISFJ.

Regarding where I think I have Si, it's just for things like paying attention to what I'm doing, or remembering things. Basic stuff. Everyone gets that stuff because everyone has Si. But I generally don't think "oh, that's my Ni activating", I guess because Ni is a more surreal function where it's harder to pinpoint when it's operating. Si is more straightforward.

Sometimes when I'm speaking I do Si speech, but my secondary types model predicts that I sometimes would, so that wouldn't be a problem. Right now when I speak I'm doing Ni speech. Ni speech has a forward, continuous motion, Si speech has a forward, emphatic/pointed motion.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Yeah I get general reads of people vibing like Ni doms, and part of the reason is "they vibe like me". So it definitely would surprise me if I really was Si dominant.

Yeah I've had someone else mention Ni and Ti as well. Maybe multiple people. People irl who I ask (who don't necessarily know more than the basics of type) tend to guess I am INT. I've always been very theoretical, for as long as that term made sense to apply to people. I remember in first grade we played a dice game where you had to roll two dice and subtract one number from the other. One kid asked "which number do we subtract?" and the teacher answered "it has to be the smallest number or it wouldn't work", and I was like "what about negative numbers?" haha. I've also been into philosophy since I was at least 13. Free will, right and wrong, reality - those kinds of questions amongst others.

So yeah, the theoretical aspect makes sense for INFJ with Ni+Ti (I would say Ni, Ne and Ti are the most theoretical functions), but ISFJ would surely be quite different from that, although I know that ISFJs can get into philosophy and such as well.

Probably the main reason I was having doubts (the doubts come and go) is because when I look at my social circle irl... it's mostly SFs. When I look at the music I listen to... it's mostly SFs. Especially male ISFJ and female ESFP, that's a big pair of types in my life. Even in my (extended) family - male ISFJs and female SFPs.

So it was like... I'm constantly surrounded by that pairing of types... maybe I AM an ISFJ?

However, as far as friends etc. go, I do find that I relate quite well to INTJs. Like we bond on a level that wouldn't make sense if I were ISFJ.

Regarding where I think I have Si, it's just for things like paying attention to what I'm doing, or remembering things. Basic stuff. Everyone gets that stuff because everyone has Si. But I generally don't think "oh, that's my Ni activating", I guess because Ni is a more surreal function where it's harder to pinpoint when it's operating. Si is more straightforward.

Sometimes when I'm speaking I do Si speech, but my secondary types model predicts that I sometimes would, so that wouldn't be a problem. Right now when I speak I'm doing Ni speech. Ni speech has a forward, continuous motion, Si speech has a forward, emphatic/pointed motion.

Borderlines are normal, it could be just a N/S or perhaps T/F borderline.

But with your discussions with Reckful I tend to see you as Introverted and you dont have too much Te.
If you are a INTJ, it would be a Ni-Ti one.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Borderlines are normal, it could be just a N/S or perhaps T/F borderline.

But with your discussions with Reckful I tend to see you as Introverted and you dont have too much Te.
If you are a INTJ, it would be a Ni-Ti one.

Generally in tests I'm not even borderline on N/S, I'm a clear N. T/F is pretty borderline but that's expect for an INFJ. I used to be slightly T, now I'm slightly F. I'm not considering INTJ, although I've considered it before.

Having SF friend groups and music habits might stem from having an SF family. So if I assume that I'm in the oddball in my family, type wise, then the other things could follow from that. It's what I'm used to/genetically hardwired to.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Honestly I'm pretty confident in my INFJ typing, it's just that every now and again, "a challenger appears!", and my mind will be like "If you're an INFJ, then what about this, this and this. Doesn't that fit more with this other type?", and I will have to go and reinforce my reasons for INFJ, while explaining away the inconsistensies.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Honestly I'm pretty confident in my INFJ typing, it's just that every now and again, "a challenger appears!", and my mind will be like "If you're an INFJ, then would about this, this and this. Doesn't that fit more with this other type?", and I will have to go and reinforce my reasons for INFJ, while explaining away the inconsistensies.

I fell into this trap last week. I got back in that over-introspecting loop and started trying to constantly put my thoughts and actions in function boxes and it got bad and I had to stop. I have held for a while that functions cannot be purely interpreted by "usage" and without preference/attitude in the picture, the whole system falls apart at the seams. But there's also some stuff I loosened up on recently, such as function order and roles, and how they can wiggle around a bit throughout our lives. And that ambiversion is the norm, not the exception. I know someone is going to come around sooner or later and tell me "you can't be an ambivert, lEaRn YoUr CoGnItiVe FuNcTiOnS" and I'll be like "you have no idea who you're talking to." Similarly, it is fine to be too close to call in any other dichotomy. The continuous doubts are just kind of inevitable for some of us ;)

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I fell into this trap last week. I got back in that over-introspecting loop and started trying to constantly put my thoughts and actions in function boxes and it got bad and I had to stop. I have held for a while that functions cannot be purely interpreted by "usage" and without preference/attitude in the picture, the whole system falls apart at the seams. But there's also some stuff I loosened up on recently, such as function order and roles, and how they can wiggle around a bit throughout our lives. And that ambiversion is the norm, not the exception. I know someone is going to come around sooner or later and tell me "you can't be an ambivert, lEaRn YoUr CoGnItiVe FuNcTiOnS" and I'll be like "you have no idea who you're talking to." Similarly, it is fine to be too close to call in any other dichotomy. The continuous doubts are just kind of inevitable for some of us ;)

Watch it, Legion is more or less in support with that view!

But yeah, Im one of the alternatives :rock: who sees the functions as more fluid rather than static.
There are the alternatives of dichotomy only (on forums, the official MBTI main stream is dichotomy by default).
There are the few crazy ones that follows the Ni-Fi-Se-Te and so stacks.

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Honestly I'm pretty confident in my INFJ typing, it's just that every now and again, "a challenger appears!", and my mind will be like "If you're an INFJ, then what about this, this and this. Doesn't that fit more with this other type?", and I will have to go and reinforce my reasons for INFJ, while explaining away the inconsistensies.

And that's the difference between being yourself and being an INFJ. I'm not saying that you're a mistype, just that your type code can't explain all of your thought patterns.

I can safely say that I went through a lot of self-doubt related to type, and I changed my own type flair a lot of times. I feel like in the end, type is actually meaningless. If you truly know yourself, then there's no need for an external framework to tell you who you are. Human beings are way more complex than an addition of 4 functions, so it's just natural that you sometimes show aspects of 1 functions and sometimes of another one. Also, type is not related to skill. You can be excellent at remembering things and still be an Si inferior/PolR. If it was related, then (for example) every SF would fail math class hard because they don't have either strong abstract reasoning nor good logical thinking, and that's not a thing.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
For what it's worth, I think both you and Eminem are NiTi, so INFJ but more concerned with a subjective internal system of logic and making sense of humanity/the external world via NiTi. I don't think Ni always looks the way that the Meyer-Briggs community (or even Jungian psychology) depicts it. It can be rather difficult to track internal subjective intuition from the external, and if it's your primary mode of operation, it's too hard to objectively observe and analyze (especially if you don't even "have" Te because your point of reference remains hyper-subjective).

I realize we use different systems or approaches to analyzing type, but I do think in many cases, my preferred system is compatible with other systems (when I get the whole analysis bit right, which is the hard part), and you seem pretty clearly NT/INFJ "jumper".

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe

The reason why i think amnbiversion is an odd concept is because functions, in some ways, go in sequences. You have your main sequenece you go by and that is your type. One function will be first in the sequences.

But the second function could be used more. There may be a second sequence which is almost as strong. And so on. Leading to a kind of ambiversion.

And because secondary types means i could be strong in both ISFJ and INFJ, the question does become more pointless. Assuming the multitype hypothesis is true.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Ni - very strong
Fe - mixed strength
Ti - strong enough
Se - active

Ne - intermittent
Fi - needs work
Te - dulled
Si - ambivalent

Pionart