• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or INTP adolescent?

phoenix31

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I am wondering if anybody would be able to explain differences between an ENTP and INTP personality, particularly relating to an adolescent. I have been attempting to type an adolescent male and I get confused because he seems to fit with both types. I realize that ENTP's and INTP's basically share all of the same cognitive functions, just in different orders. Is anyone able to explain some of the nuances of how the two types can be different, based on where the cognitive function is in their stack?

Some of his repeated and definitive traits are as follows:

-Being critical of people who "aren't smart" or "don't think," according to his opinions and ideas

-Complete disregard for rules and authority if he finds them useless

-Highly intelligent but highly disorganized; doesn't get good grades even though he is intellectually capable

-Enjoys arguing a point endlessly, for hours, if someone will allow it

-Enjoys challenging authority to see what will happen, and then arguing a technicality to try to get out of trouble

-Pointing out others' imprecise words/phrasing and viewing the imprecision as a fault

-Hates manual labor or working on anything that requires physical exertion; often dreams of impractical ways to make money (that require no effort) while ignoring/refusing simple tasks that are available to him to make money immediately

-His living space is constantly cluttered. He will go through certain periods where he gets on an hours-long organizational kick for one specific project, but is most of the time very messy and inconsiderate of others who share his living space

-Does not tend to follow through or be dependable on any work that he is not very interested in or decided to do himself

-Has always enjoyed meeting and being with people; if he feels comfortable with friends in a crowd, he has been known to pull crazy stunts for fun. Enjoys alone time but wouldn't be considered a "loner."

-Does not seem to be affected by others' negative opinions of him, for the most part. He brushes off rude comments from kids at school and they don't seem to bother him much, other than to be considered annoying.

-Extremely creative. He is just as good at (and equally interested in) drawing, music, etc. as intellectual pursuits. He approaches music and art from both left and right brain thinking in a balanced way (ie: he can read music and he can play by ear; he can draw or paint utilizing technical precision and mathematical concepts but also will be abstract in his overall approach to the creative project

-Enjoys sports, but not the most physically capable when compared to his peers

-Not good about self reflection or self criticism, tends to be either pleased with himself or swings to an extreme of being very harsh on himself (I realize this trait may just be related to age and maturity level)

-Thrives on annoying and antagonizing a sibling to provoke a negative reaction; will take things too far

-Fairly open minded and tolerant of others and the way different people live their lives

-Will hurt a sibling's feelings or physically hurt a sibling in a skirmish and not feel it necessary to apologize or understand why he is being asked to apologize

-May get a flurry of ideas for a project but not follow through to completion; wants to have long and seemingly endless discussions about ideas

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, you are definitely correct in that a lot of the list does overlap. There's also a range of behavior within type -- for example, there are INTPs with a 9 bent who won't make waves much and will just withdraw when faced with conflict, other INTPs will launch into arguments regularly in situations where other more socially minded people will feel accosted because the INTP isn't taking anything personally and playing a hard-edged devil's advocate in an energetic manner.

I would say with rules, ENTPs are more apt to make an extroverted fuss when challenging something and even seem to enjoy the interaction / making a deal out of it, INTPs tend to skirt around them / break them more quietly without regard.... although if asked (i.e., if it becomes an intellectual discourse), they are perfectly happy to tell exactly why certain rules are arbitrary or stupid and don't need to be followed.

I tend to look to see which function is being supported by which. ENTPs are Ne -- possibilities, visions (they are always scanning for options and new ideas) and they use Ti logic to justify them. INTPs tend to be more interested in building one cohesive framework (Ti) and are good at seeing how it manifests and things fit into it.

AS I mentioned, the 'sidestepping' thing maybe could help delineate -- ENTPs tend to take things head on (I think a number of them rate as e7's) and plow through a situation / living dynamo, INTPs tend to conserve their energy and don't regularly go for the spectacular engagement, sidestepping a conflict even if perfectly willing to say the same kinds of things if asked and on a smaller scale. My dad was an ESTP and he had the same kind of dramatic bent and was very good at using logic to support his points even in the big scheme of things his points weren't accurate at times. (Meanwhile, your INTP is really interested in consistency throughout the entire framework of thought.)

Energy expenditure is another way to put it, I guess. A lot of INTP energy gets spent on mental pursuit and often this can be while alone, and then when you talk to them, you get a sense of just how much energy has been put into their view of the world. I think ENTPs tend to show their energy expenditure more on the outside.

Dunno if this is helpful. Maybe?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He sounds like an INTP.

An ENTP sees value in people and socetal rules more than an INTP. As well as an ENTP appreciating and respecting perspectives of others.