• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INFJ (or...???)

mifesa

MBTI Type
IDK
Enneagram
4w5
in the 16personalities test, i had gotten INFJ, to which i wasn't completely sold on with the "decisive, determined and passionate". later on, i came to discover that 16personalities test wasn't trustworthy, and that INFJ was some sort of magical unicorn type. i did a bunch of cognitive functions tests, to which my results were always confusing in the Fi/Fe and Ni/Ne spectrum. and even been typed as xNFP, in a conversation with a mutual.

i'm quite certain i'm a ravenclaw, and a 4w5 (479 tritype), but other than that... i don't have any idea... so, help?

when problem solving, i'm quite bothersome. it's very hard for me to not be subjective/relative, and go around different interpretations of the same subject numerous times. when i do get to a conclusion, it's even harder to give it up. i take a long time making decisions, and if they turn out not to work as planned, i feel disoriented and really demotivated.

i always look at the bigger picture, how my decisions will affect those around me and how it will affect me. i'm more willing to put myself through troubles, than others, if i'm quite honest--it might also be a matter of internalized phobia of responsibility. for example; if i'm going out with friends, my immediate concern is whether they're having fun or not, and sometimes it's even hard for me to distinguish whether i'm having fun too, or if i just see them having fun, therefore think i'm having fun... in general, it's very hard for me to understand exactly what i'm feeling, and why i'm feeling it.

i'm certain i'm an introvert; need quiet alone time to re-charge from all the draining social situations on a daily basis, however, if a few of my mutuals were to describe me, they would say i'm an extrovert, outgoing, bubbly. in fact, if all my mutuals were to make a description of me, it would probably come up with different traits in each of them. i tend to communicate myself differently to everyone i meet, and uncounciously pick up their quirks. i'm a bundle of agreeableness, which is actually genuine, as i rarely full out disagree with anyone. even if something isn't true to me, i can see why it would be true to the person in question. i rarely get into conflicts, and kind of live my life avoiding them. although i'm very sarcastic and like to tease people, i know not to do it to certain people or at a certain time. (in fact, i've always been praised for my manners and politeness. i had a teacher that particularly liked to joke that i could be from royalty. and it's still my favorite "compliment" i've received.)

always needing a good dose of alone time, is one of the reasons i "plan" my days ahead. whithout making any tangible notes, i always have an idea of what i'll do when i get home, when i'll answer to penpals, and what i'll leave to tomorrow. even if it isn't intentional, i always fall into a routine, and get quite drained if it is interrupted. i'm not big on changes, to the point it affects me physically (migraines), each time i change my routine. i'm only spontaneous if i'm already out, and decide to maybe make a stop that will take me longer than prepared, but if it's a sunday and we didn't plan previously, i'm not going out.

i feel as if it's still important to note that although i do organize and tidy up, i'm not exactly the most prepared person. things will still pass by me, if i'm too focused on other things... i've come to develop amazing improvising skills, especially when it comes to public speaking, because if i get side-tracked from the plan, i'll panic. so, instead, the plan is usually some vague topics that i can freely develop on.

regarding panic; i'm not great under-pressure, and can tend to just decide whatever so i don't have to be chained to that problem for longer. i basically go on shopping sprees, and ignore whatever problem i have for longer, trying to escape in things that bring me pleasure. definitely something i have to work on.

i'm very imaginative and love creating. however, it's very hard for me to start writing, and even harder to finish a piece--i get distracted... have ideas that seem better than the last ones, create new story lines and character, and basically keep on changing the dynamics of a story, until i give it up. i'm often described as absent and clueless, and easily get lost in thoughts. ironically, i'm quite observant, often remembering facts about people that i don't want share not to sound creepy or the person everyone consults for birthday presents because "i know everything about everyone".

i don't really know what else to add... i do realize that INFP and INFJ don't share any congnitive functions, however, i seem to equally identify with both? i really don't know, help???

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
When you had 16P test and such, whats the % of J you get for INFJ result?
When you mentioned cognitive test results, is Ne=Ni and Fe=Fi most of the time, do they switch from time to time, or you get preference for Ni and preference for Fi at the same time.
Do you know big 5? What are your levels of Conscientiousness?
Enneagram doesnt help for the case...

mifesa

MBTI Type
IDK
Enneagram
4w5
my J was by 53%. in the cognitive tests there's always a preference for Fe and Ni, although Ne always comes right behind. with the big 5 i scored 72% in Consciousness ^-^

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Forget about phrases like "making plans", "seeing the great picture", "recharging" etc, rather think about the reasons why you do something. Some example:

i tend to communicate myself differently to everyone i meet
why is it like that? Do you adapt to the other persons needs to keep a conversation going? Do you do it to make the other person feel better? Do you feel like hiding something that could be used against you? Without knowing the motives, this could be anything, thinking or feeling, sensing or intuition. I guess it is Fe in your case, but could also be fear-based. I guess that alot of your seemingly Fe-behavior may actually be made out of fear of criticism and a sense of perfectionism. I tend towards xxFJ at the moment, but could also be an insecure TJ or TP type. I don't think you're INFP.

mifesa

MBTI Type
IDK
Enneagram
4w5
it's quite hard putting an exact reason to why i do it, but i see what you mean. when it comes to "socially adapt" it's mostly unconscious and just natural, really. i think it's a way of relating to others and make them comfortable. i don't know, but it feels as if i don't do it i will come across as standofish or just "weird". i'm naturally reserve and private, but i think some of it plays into my "trust issues" and being afraid of having things used against me, as you mentioned. in some way, it all plays into it, i think that if i'm not someone the person will "understand" i'll make them uncomfortable and consequently criticized.

(also, i'm not some type of unique misunderstood snowflake that's always acting as someone else to fit into this monotonous society, i just tend to show different sides of myself to different people and differently.)

i can see the xxFJ, but i'm not sure about the T's, although i do think i'm a "thoughtful feeler".

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
my J was by 53%. in the cognitive tests there's always a preference for Fe and Ni, although Ne always comes right behind. with the big 5 i scored 72% in Consciousness ^-^

if a few of my mutuals were to describe me, they would say i'm an extrovert

i can see the xxFJ, but i'm not sure about the T's, although i do think i'm a "thoughtful feeler".

Between INFJ and INFP (I didnt bothered looking for the rest), its INFJ with weak J in my opinion.

High conscientiousness==>NFJ, Low conscientiousness==>NFP, in general.
If there is always a preference for Fe and Ni, then thats another point for INFJ.
INFJ is the most extravert type, as far as I know, between Introverted intuitives. INFP/INTP are the least extroverted of all types.
Borderline F/T on feeler side as far as I know comes from both ENFP and INFJ, INFP is more sentimental (even in stereotyping).
All points towards INFJ>INFP.

If you check test results, you will see that most of them do not get the stack they are supposed to get.
INFJ and INFP are so alike on, they say they do not share any cognitive function, well that isnt really realistic, right?
Im sorry if this sounds confusing, but actually these fixed stacks are not endorseded by the soft science of MBTI. There are professional versions of these tests and an official stream, and the stream even abandoned the cognitive function because the sequences most of people know are highly doubtable and failed to show up in the very specific ways they should be.
So, realistically it is normal for persons with high preference for N to get high results for Ni and Ne. Because Ni users normally have some Ne as well, so your Ne scoring high after isnt a problem at all and that is common for INFJ type.

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
it's quite hard putting an exact reason to why i do it, but i see what you mean. when it comes to "socially adapt" it's mostly unconscious and just natural, really. i think it's a way of relating to others and make them comfortable. i don't know, but it feels as if i don't do it i will come across as standofish or just "weird". i'm naturally reserve and private, but i think some of it plays into my "trust issues" and being afraid of having things used against me, as you mentioned. in some way, it all plays into it, i think that if i'm not someone the person will "understand" i'll make them uncomfortable and consequently criticized.

It's not easy to see exactly why something happens, especially within the social realm. And it's certainly not easy to keep things as seperated as they seem to be in theory. However, it is clear that you care about how other people view you, and that would be the "chameleon" aspect that seems to be common for xxFJ types, a mix of F's focus on people and overall social dynamics and J's focus on reliability and conscientousness. A thinker would likely have more afterthoughts about why he wants to adapt to others, and it would probably be a more conscious thing for them. And I also want to say that you actually are correct about others being more comfortable around you if they can understand your motives - human beings are always suspicious about the unkown and especially Sj types :)

also, i'm not some type of unique misunderstood snowflake that's always acting as someone else to fit into this monotonous society, i just tend to show different sides of myself to different people and differently.
I'm not sure where this stereotype is coming from, but I guess all it does is to prevent actual INFJ's with identifying with their type - as FJ's they don't want to be seen as quirky psychic weirdos by others, it's more like they strive for normality.

About the "thoughtful feeler" part: T/F has almost no impact on someone's ability to reason in a logical manner, contrary to the stereotype. And almost every person of this planet believes that they're logical, regardless of type. I'm personally borderline T/F, sometimes I test for feeler, sometimes as thinker, but being a bit of both is probably the most accurate statement.

To come to a conclusion, I don't think you're INFP. I would guess it is either INFJ or ISFJ.

Meowcat

[MENTION=40377]mifesa[/MENTION] try on ISFJ

"when i do get to a conclusion, it's even harder to give it up. i take a long time making decisions, and if they turn out not to work as planned, i feel disoriented and really demotivated."

"i always fall into a routine, and get quite drained if it is interrupted. i'm not big on changes, to the point it affects me physically (migraines), each time i change my routine. i'm only spontaneous if i'm already out, and decide to maybe make a stop that will take me longer than prepared, but if it's a sunday and we didn't plan previously, i'm not going out."

"i feel as if it's still important to note that although i do organize and tidy up, i'm not exactly the most prepared person. things will still pass by me, if i'm too focused on other things... i've come to develop amazing improvising skills, especially when it comes to public speaking, because if i get side-tracked from the plan, i'll panic."

mifesa

MBTI Type
IDK
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=32874]Vendrah[/MENTION] thank you so much! this definitely helps!

mifesa

MBTI Type
IDK
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=39780]noname3788[/MENTION], i think i'm becoming more and more sure i'm an INFJ, thank you for all the help!

mifesa

MBTI Type
IDK
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=39881]Meowcat[/MENTION], thank you for the suggestion! but, i don't think i relate a lot to the senser types. if anything, one of the reasons i thought i was an INFP was because they're often described as "airheads".

Meowcat

[MENTION=39881]Meowcat[/MENTION], thank you for the suggestion! but, i don't think i relate a lot to the senser types. if anything, one of the reasons i thought i was an INFP was because they're often described as "airheads".

Your liking of routine and difficulty/panic about plans changing sounded very ISFJ

Sensor doesn't mean dumb or stupid

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Your liking of routine and difficulty/panic about plans changing sounded very ISFJ

Sensor doesn't mean dumb or stupid

Actually, those aspects just point towards judging preference. However [MENTION=40377]mifesa[/MENTION] didn't provide a lot of information regarding S/N in the opening post, so it's not possible for me to judge whether it is S or N (that's also why I suggested both).

mifesa

MBTI Type
IDK
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=39881]Meowcat[/MENTION], [MENTION=39780]noname3788[/MENTION]. i don't identify much with S, because the way i see it, sensors are more concrete, objective, detail-oriented and more importantly, focused on the present. i'm quite the opposite, i'm more comfortable just dealing with theories and deep abstract meanings. i often overlook the present, focus on the future and use the past as somewhat of a guide. it can get me "in trouble", as i'm so focused with what i will do next and what will happen, that i forget about the right now. so, i don't quite relate with S! ^^

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=39881]Meowcat[/MENTION], [MENTION=39780]noname3788[/MENTION]. i don't identify much with S, because the way i see it, sensors are more concrete, objective, detail-oriented and more importantly, focused on the present. i'm quite the opposite, i'm more comfortable just dealing with theories and deep abstract meanings. i often overlook the present, focus on the future and use the past as somewhat of a guide. it can get me "in trouble", as i'm so focused with what i will do next and what will happen, that i forget about the right now. so, i don't quite relate with S! ^^

you don't have to justify anything. I gave my input and in the end, it is up to you.

Meowcat

Actually, those aspects just point towards judging preference. However [MENTION=40377]mifesa[/MENTION] didn't provide a lot of information regarding S/N in the opening post, so it's not possible for me to judge whether it is S or N (that's also why I suggested both).

Well ISFJ is the one that panics

(I don't mean this in a derogatory manner)

[MENTION=40377]mifesa[/MENTION] OK, you know yourself better but you come off like the ISFJs Ive known, in addition to the things I quoted (and other things in your OP). Anyway yeah you know best as to which type fits you best, this is just my input.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
There is nothing much to be said about N/S, not really.
Actually, difficult about change of plans could be a Ni thing.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
The OP didn't strike me as particularly INFJ-like. I would be surprised if that were your type.

--

I'm leaning towards ENFP.

Meowcat

I'll add, just in case it helps,

"i do organize and tidy up"

"i'm quite observant, often remembering facts about people that i don't want share not to sound creepy or the person everyone consults for birthday presents because "i know everything about everyone"."

Hardly absent-minded all day.

And it's ISFJ that deeply remembers all those facts about people.

Not everyone interested in typology or sometimes being tuned out has to be an N :)

mifesa

MBTI Type
IDK
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION] thank you for your response! i'm not sure if i'm an INFJ either, but ENFP is quite interesting. what makes you think that? (if you don't mind telling me) i don't relate to Ne a lot, which is one of the main reasons i didn't really think i was INFP.