• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curious about my own type - does anyone have any ideas?

Exonian

MBTI Type
E???
Enneagram
7w8
Hello, I've been curious about my type for a while but haven't really got very far in my investigations. There are perhaps five or six types which could match. Essentially all of the extroverts bar the ESxJs resonate with me to greater or lesser extent (Si doesn't read like me at all). I don't want to say too much so as not to prejudice your conclusions. I've picked a random questionnaire from the compilation thread, but I welcome any follow up questions which might help your decision. If you would like me to expand on any answers, again that'd be absolutely fine.

What is your MBTI and Enneagram Type?

I don't know my MBTI, which is why I'm here. However, my Enneagram Type seems pretty clear - 7w8.

What got you interested in Personality Type?

I've always been fascinated by the idea that something as complicated as personality can essentially be distilled into a set of clear categories. I remember scouring my dad's old psychology textbooks for something like that when I was a kid, but I could never find much. I don't honestly remember when I first saw MBTI, it might have been a year or so ago. It's one of those things which sometimes does the rounds. The more I read about it all, the more fascinated I became.

What kind of work do you do for a living?

At the moment I'm a student, I study maths and it's hard work. One problem I have with it is that I enjoyed maths at school, where it was mainly focused on calculations and understanding, but now it is focused on proofs, I struggle more. I don't really care whether a technique works, I just care that it does. I want to go into a line of work which is well paid and can use my talents well, something like being an actuary.

What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?

That would be getting into university. I attend a rather prestigious one (which my name is a reference to), and it took a lot of effort to pass the requisite exams.

What would constitute a perfect day for you?

I would have the freedom to do whatever I liked. I'd probably leave home, assemble a little crew of friends, then go to somewhere I'd never been and do something interesting there. Hopefully I'd meet a few new interesting people who'd gel with my mates. We'd then all go to the pub together and have a good old fashioned night on the tiles, and with any luck one of them would be attracted to me and I'd start something with him or her.

What are you most grateful for in your life?

I'm not really grateful for anything. I know that sounds awful, but I rarely think in terms of whether I'm grateful for things or not. I guess I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had rather than anything tangible.

Is there something that you've dreamt of doing for a long time? Why haven't you done it?

In a lot of cases, it's just things I've not got round to doing. I'd love to go to Glasgow, or Blackburn, or Sheffield. I could probably go out and do any of those tomorrow, but I guess I've never felt a strong urge to do it instantly. I don't really have long term dreams like that though, my thoughts are irritatingly short term.

If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?

I'm not sure, and of course if I changed something in my upbringing, there'd be a butterfly effect on my current personality. Therefore I'm tempted to say nothing. However, growing up I was a really weird kid, so I'd definitely make my social skills more of a priority early on.

Share an embarrassing moment in your life.

Do I have to? In all seriousness, I often get into embarrassing scrapes (though I always laugh about them afterwards). A definite low point would be when I went to buy some football tickets in a town I'd never been to before. I ended up sleeping in a field that night, after meeting several new groups of people, drinking a ridiculous amount of cider, and missing no fewer than four ways to get home. Luckily a kindly driver spotted me and dusted me off, taking me back to the town centre where I found a 24 hour McDonald's to lurk in before the first bus of the morning.

Before making a phone call, do you ever rehearse what you're going to say? Why?

Yes, of course. The last thing I want to do is make a fool of myself, so I try and run through things. I often get anxious on the phone, because you can't anticipate what the other person will say, and I assume they'll say the worst possible thing.

If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one quality or ability, what would it be?

Ideally, it would be greater energy and focus. Ultimately losing focus is a big weakness of mine (indeed I'm amazed I've had the stamina to get this far!).

What do you value most in a friendship?

I want someone who'll be a good laugh and will be able to form good experiences with me. Ideally they'll have similar interests, so we can discuss various topics like that.

What is your most treasured memory?

I suppose I have quite a lot, for various reasons. For example, getting with my crush was pretty sweet! I would struggle to pick one treasured memory above all the others though, usually they're good for different reasons.

What roles do love and affection play in your life?

Relatively little. Clearly it's something that's nice to have, but love rarely plays much of a role in my thoughts. I hate being single, but at the moment that's unlikely to change, and that's more frustrating than painful.

Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire. After saving your loved ones and pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any one item. What would it be? Why?

The first key question is whether I have insurance. If I do, then it needs to be something priceless that can't be replaced, perhaps (stupid as it sounds) one of the cuddly toys from my childhood. If not, then either my laptop or my phone, since that's the most valuable thing I own.

Who would you want with you if you were stranded on a deserted island?

Bear Grylls or the bloke who walked across Wales on YouTube. Both know how to survive in the wild, and seem to have decent enough banter. Alternatively, one of my favourite bands might be a good shout, they could provide entertainment and moral support.

If you could do anything you wanted right now, what would it be?

I'd leave my house, and just go somewhere exciting. If I've full freedom I'd leave the country. I'd essentially just spend some time enjoying myself and getting up to wild adventures.

If money was no object, what would you do all day?

I think I'd travel around a lot more, I might try and get into writing a book. I'd probably spend as much of my time with friends as possible, try to enjoy my life as much as possible.

Who is your favorite author?

I don't read very much really. Usually I read non-fiction. If I could choose one author, someone like Bill Bryson who writes about real situations but in an engaging way. Alternatively Dave Gorman, because I find his world view very similar to mine. I loved reading about him finding 52 other Dave Gormans and all the travails involved, because it's exactly the sort of thing I'd do.

What is your favorite book?

That's an easy one, Classic Scrapes by James Acaster. I love reading his stories, since they remind me of some of my own scrapes, and his eccentric sense of humour never fails to make me laugh.

What has been your biggest challenge?

I believe I covered that earlier, as my biggest accomplishment. I suppose my biggest challenge has always been conquering my own weaknesses. When I've been weird, or lazy, or all of my other flaws, I've had to overcome that which isn't always easy.

If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to?

That depends on whether or not I get to return. If I don't get to return, then as close to the present as possible, so I can enjoy the best standards of living. If I do get to return, I'd quite like to go to the 19th century. Those days of industrialisation, where you could get rich off a crazy dream and trusting investors, really appeal to me.

What does your life say about you?

I'm not sure it says much about me, really. My everyday lifestyle is fairly bland, I try not to stand out unless I absolutely have to.

How would your friends describe you?

They'd describe me as unpredictable and quick to anger, but generally well-intentioned and usually more capable than I let on.