• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

5w6 or 6w5?

Shibuya

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi everyone, newcomer to the forum here.

Let's start with a short intro: I discovered MBTI and the enneagram a little over 4 years ago and have been interested in it ever since. I used to be certain I was a 5w6, however certain events have led me to reconsider if I may not be a 6w5. I've tried doing my own research but most 6 descriptions seem to be SJ-oriented or heavily biased, so it wasn't very conclusive.

For reference, I'm an INTP and my instinctual stack is sp/so. I'm sure of those things and have been for a while, but I can't blame any potential skeptic who'd read this so I took the Jung personality test from one of the stickied threads before writing this post, and this was my result: Ti > Ne > Te = Si > Ni > Fe > Se > Fi.

I also come from an abusive home. I won't elaborate on details but it shaped who I am and I'm probably not the healthiest person around, which makes typing harder. Whichever type I am, I suspect my wing is very strong.

Type 5 traits I relate to:
- Very rich inner world. I can spend hours daydreaming.
- I love problem solving and analyzing. I've been called very analytical and a nerd more times than I can count. (Though I hear these can be 6 traits too)
- Extremely independent. I don't like how demanding other people and social relationships are. I've never dated and don't plan to. I'll probably end up a crazy cat lady and that's fine by me. I hate asking for help and will always solve my problems alone except as a very last resort. I also feel like I don't put a lot of weight on loyalty, or at least not as much as a 6.
- I relate to the need of acquiring as much knowledge as possible in order to be able to deal with the world, and observing the world without really participating.
- I value logic above all things and find overly emotional people (including the 6s I know, who are mostly phobic) tiring and puzzling.
- Emotionally constipated. I find saying things like "thank you" or asking for help very hard because it makes me feel open and vulnerable (although I guess that could be a 6 trait?).
- Uneasy in social situations. I used to be clumsier, now I can fake it til I make it but it's still exhausting. I especially dislike small talk. I'll be superficially friendly but withdraw first chance I get.
- I'm unconventional in quite a few aspects (mostly social expectations). I don't want friends, romance or to create my own family, and I don't care what people have to say about those subjects. I used to not care one bit about my looks either, but that changed sometime when I was 17-18. I'm still far from a fashion victim, hate shopping with a passion, and applying foundation and mascara is the extent of my make-up skills, but I'm not completely uncaring/unaware of how I come off either.
- Tendency to procrastinate. I'm fairly low energy and not hard-working by nature.

Type 6 traits I relate to:
- I've been told I give off a lot of nervous energy, even when I feel calm. I also put up a friendlier front than 5s supposedly do and don't feel as detached from the world and absent-minded as them.
- I panic easily and I always have. I'll try not to show it, but I'm easily overwhelmed especially if something unexpected happens. I prefer having a routine and knowing what to expect at all times. When in a pinch, I either rationalize or evade to my inner fantasy world depending on how stressed I feel.
- I love feeling safe. I wouldn't mind having a job I dislike my whole life if it paid well. I also used to be a real scaredy cat but I've gotten better.
- I can be a bit of a stickler for rules at times. Not nearly as much as my SJ friends and I don't mind bending them if they're illogical, but enough that it'll make my SP family member roll their eyes in annoyance. If there's a risk of getting caught or scolded for it, I absolutely won't break rules.
- I constantly switch between defiant and authoritarian (borderline tyrannical at times – I'm working on it) and reluctantly submissive depending on who I'm dealing with and how stressed I am; generally speaking, the more anxious I feel, the more aggressive and confrontational I am. I'm often fairly aware of power structures in social circles even if I don't always respect them.
- This is a part of me that I really despise, but I can be a suck-up at times when it comes to people I respect or those who are above me hierarchically. I used to be a teacher's pet, and even in the workplace I try to please my colleagues and boss. It's good to feel appreciated and have my competence acknowledged. I have a very paradoxical relationship with authority and I don't deal well with injustice (especially when it's targeted towards me). I also cannot stand aggressive people, they make my skin crawl.
- While I love learning and am fairly curious, I don't really care about knowledge for knowledge's sake. I like learning things that I can use later, not necessarily in a practical manner but for example to add to a theory or a principle I've heard of. I can't relate to the "get lost on wikipedia" stereotype.
- I prefer hearing others' opinions before making my own. I alternate between trusting my own mind only and still checking out what people have to say about a certain matter. Plus it's interesting seeing different points of view for a same subject.

??? traits:
- I value both security and knowledge but couldn't tell you which one I favor over the other.
- Very distrustful and cynical. Sarcasm is my favored method of communication, I don't even have to think about it, it just comes out.
- Perfectionistic, which is funny considering how much of a procrastinator I am. I have a massive fear of failure and being seen as incompetent or stupid.
- If forced to work in a team and no one else volunteers to be the leader (or they're not reliable), I will reluctantly take on the role. I won't enjoy it one bit (and I'll probably offer to let me do the whole thing alone if possible) but it's still the least stressful option to me.

Any input is appreciated. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
6w5, welcome aboard

Shibuya

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
6w5, welcome aboard

Thanks, do we get free drinks and t-shirts?

That being said, could you please elaborate on what made you rule out 5w6 altogether? I'm curious where I went wrong exactly.

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks, do we get free drinks and t-shirts?

That being said, could you please elaborate on what made you rule out 5w6 altogether? I'm curious where I went wrong exactly.

5 sp is said to be "the most 5ish" of the fives. They're self reclusive. Paired with INTP, it would make the most classic type of INTP: reclusive, almost hermits absorbed in their minds.
As an INTP 6w5 myself, it's easy to fall in the trap of testing 5w6, since the 6 descriptions are so SJ-ish. But an INTP 6w5 is supposely more focused on doubt, authority, and more down to earth, less focused on loyalty than the descriptions. Sixes are also good at analyzing and problem solving, it doesn't necessarily mean they are overly emotional. It can be linked with anxiety, but, as an example, IRL I almost never share how I truly feel about anything. I just put on a poker face.
While the traits you listed as 5 are more general for an introvert than a 5, those you listed as 6 are definitely more characteristic, especially the stuff going on with the concept of authority.

Shibuya

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
5 sp is said to be "the most 5ish" of the fives. They're self reclusive. Paired with INTP, it would make the most classic type of INTP: reclusive, almost hermits absorbed in their minds.
As an INTP 6w5 myself, it's easy to fall in the trap of testing 5w6, since the 6 descriptions are so SJ-ish. But an INTP 6w5 is supposely more focused on doubt, authority, and more down to earth, less focused on loyalty than the descriptions. Sixes are also good at analyzing and problem solving, it doesn't necessarily mean they are overly emotional. It can be linked with anxiety, but, as an example, IRL I almost never share how I truly feel about anything. I just put on a poker face.
While the traits you listed as 5 are more general for an introvert than a 5, those you listed as 6 are definitely more characteristic, especially the stuff going on with the concept of authority.

I see, that makes sense. Thank you.