• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help typing please!

alebre1

MBTI Type
EXXX
Enneagram
8w7
Hi! So I have probably spent 12 hours over the past two days trying to type myself (at the dismay of my ochem hw) and I just can't seem to figure it out. I am pretty comfortable with E (although I certainly need time alone after awhile) but I do love to be around people and sometimes just need it. I think that I am N over S but not completely certain on that one. I also think I am a T over F, but a little unsure here as well. I'm pretty confident with P, however. I keep being typed as an ESTP but it just doesn't totally resonate with me. I am an 8w7 sx/so also. I've answered one of the questionnaires to help.

1) Context:
a) What is your age range and general location (Country so that cultural values can be taken into account)? Do you have any impairments that may affect the way that you answer this questionnaire? Any religious or political beliefs (or anything else along those lines) that also might have an effect?
I am 21 and in Georgia in the US. Eh, I wouldn't necessarily argue these as impairments but I do have social anxiety and ADHD. I would generally consider myself agnostic, but I have a pretty strong dislike for organized religion, although not necessarily the religion itself if that makes sense. More the way that people use it. I would consider myself strongly liberal on most subjects, but particularly anything dealing with social issues/human rights.

b) Which types are you currently considering? Why are you considering them and why haven’t you decided on one?
ENTP- Reasons I question this: I love to debate, and have been known to play devil's advocate, but I have very firm positions that I don't back down from when challenged in a serious way. I think I am more empathetic and caring of others than I've seen ENTPs described as. Standing up for people without a voice is really important to me. Some things I resonate with: lots of interests, getting bored easily, quick thinking. I also think that I am a very empathetic person in terms of big issues (homelessness, for example), but I have trouble being emotionally open with people, or with dealing with other people's emotions on an individual level.

2) What do you deem as your purpose in life?
I'm still figuring this one out because I have so many different interests, but ultimately I think I'm supposed to stand up for people in some way.

3) Of the seven deadly sins, which one(s) do you relate to the most and the least and why?
Probably gluttony because I often lack self-control in situations and have been known to overindulge in a variety of different things.

4) Analyzing your relationships with others, briefly describe:
a) The type of people you are drawn to
I like people who are intelligent and open-minded. I also like people that don't take themselves too seriously.

b) The type of people who are drawn to you
I find this question a little hard to answer because I frequently find that I'm not a terribly likable person unless you get to know me first. My outward expression is different from my actual self. I would say most of my friends are very open-minded and like that I have a lot of passion.

c) The type of people you are repulsed by
People that don't respect each other's differences or think that their beliefs should control other people's lives. I also can't stand when people have no backbone and can't stand up for themselves. I once dated someone who would literally let me walk all over him, and it irritated me to no end. I want people to stand up to me or to others for themselves.

5)What are the traits in others that you admire but you cannot emulate yourself? Elaborate.
I wish to be more self-disciplined. I also wish that I could be more calm sometimes, and not as expressive, both in good and bad ways. I tend to feel things really strongly, and I have a hard time keeping that in at times.
6) Describe your relationship with the following:
a) Anger
Very quick to anger with myself and my inadequacies. Less quick to anger with other people, but pretty easily annoyed.

b) Shame
I feel shame sometimes with how expressive I am because I think it's a little too intense for other people at times.

c) Fear
I generally think it's best to take fear/anxiety head on. For example, I was afraid of public speaking, so I became VP of an organization I'm in to work on getting over it. I used to be afraid of needles but I started donating blood because I could rationalize my fear away by knowing that I was doing something good for someone else.

d) Love/passion
Very passionate, especially about certain things, like human rights issues.
I love very deeply, but I sometimes have trouble expressing this to people. For example, I find it hard to tell someone how much I love them, I would rather show it through my actions.

e) Conflict
I don't revel in conflict with people I'm close to, but I love a healthy debate. I also never shy away from conflict. I see it as something that is necessary sometimes and should be faced head on.

7) What are some of the themes that have played a prominent role in your life (ie. A struggle you’ve been unable to conquer, ect)?
Self-discipline is probably my worst trouble. For example, I have trouble getting myself to eat healthy and exercise, even though I know I should. I also have trouble doing tasks that seems boring to me, like studying subjects I'm not interested in.

8) Answer only one of the following:
a) [College aged and above] What is your area of work/study? Why did you choose this and would you change it? If so, what would be your ideal?
I am currently in college studying biology. I chose biology because I really love science and am always on the quest for more knowledge. It took me awhile to settle on this, and I changed my major about a dozen times.

b)[Under college aged] What do you plan on studying/working as in the future? How did you go about deciding this? If this is not your ideal area of pursuit, what would be?

9) When meeting a new person, what do you tend to focus on?
I usually focus on conversation, and finding connections. I like being able to find commonalities with people.

10) How do you feel about humanity as a whole? What do you feel are some of the biggest problems the human race faces and why?
This is a conversation I frequently have with my dad. He thinks I'm too idealistic, and I like to see people for what I want them to be vs what they are. I generally believe human nature to be good. However, with that being said, I also get frustrated with individuals and don't necessarily like a lot of people. I think one of the biggest problems facing the human race is that I think we are getting more caught up in ourselves, and don't care enough for each other. You don't necessarily have to like people, but I think you should care for everyone's well being.

11) What are some of your hobbies and interests?
I spend a lot of my time in school or at work, but outside of that I usually try to hang out with my friends or be with my family. My family is what is most important to me. I also just love to talk about whatever I'm interested in with people. I like to read, but I find myself getting more caught up in tv shows than books these days. I also love to be with my dog. I also love to travel and do so whenever I have the opportunity.
I would say my interests are honestly just whatever strikes my fancy at any given moment. When something piques my interest, I need to know everything about it. The past couple of days it's been the MTBI, but it could literally be whatever. A book, a tv show, some random historical event, something science related, etc. I also love politics.
13) How do you usually “hang out” with your friend(s)? When answering, think about what activities you tend to choose, whether you hang out with one person at once or many, whether or not you initiate the interaction.
I sometimes initiate the interaction, but I appreciate reciprocation. I usually like to hang out one-on-one because I'm more comfortable in these settings than in groups. I think this is somewhat due to my social anxiety, but in groups I tend to either shut down or become overly expressive and gregarious, depending on if I know the group or not. One-on-one feels much more authentic to me. I only have a few close friends, but usually we grab a meal or coffee and just talk about things. Sometimes we might see a movie or do some sort of activity, but usually it's just spending time together and having conversation.
14) What is more important, actions or words? Why?
I think actions because you can say one thing, but your actions reveal how you really feel.

15) Oh dear, you’ve been cursed by a witch! It’s ok though, you get a choice on which curse you will receive. Will you choose….
a) To never be able to experience the sensation of taste
b) To be immortal
c) To lose your memories
d) To be poor for the rest of your life
e) Or to never experience passion
Elaborate on why!
I think I would chose to never experience the sensation of taste. I would never want to be immortal because the idea of living forever is terrifying. You would lose everyone and everything you loved over and over again. I would never chose to lose my memories, either, because I think memories are so important to who we are. I wouldn't want to be poor, either, because I grew up very poor and had a lot of negative experiences as a result. These experiences definitely shaped me and helped me grow, but I find financial security to be something I now really stress in my life. Not necessarily wealth, but having enough money to live without having to worry about it. And lastly, I could never chose to not experience passion because I feel like I am one of the most intense and passionate people I know, so I think it would destroy who I am.

16) What do you hope to avoid being? If it helps, describe a person who embodies what you avoid/you as a villain, ect.
I want to avoid being someone that is looked down upon or perceived as a lesser person. I also want to avoid being someone who judges others too harshly, or who would ever seek to intentionally hurt someone. Probably the worst things someone could call me is close-minded. I'd also not want to be someone who doesn't stand up for themselves or is dishonest.

17) How do you relate to obsession? Do you tend to "merge" with others or your interests? How do you feel about the idea of doing this?
I consider myself to be a very obsessive type of person. When I am strongly interested in something, it's all I can think about or do. I don't think I merge with others, but I think I sometimes try to get people to merge with me in the sense that I like to share my passions with people and would love if they shared those as well.

18) Organized or messy? Plans and blueprints or impulse and surprises? What are you preferences and tendencies?
Organized and messy?? I go through phases of being really clean and organized with my home, but when life gets really crazy, I frequently let that slide backwards. However, other things, like keeping a planner and such are totally beyond me. I like long term plans and general goals, but my day-to-day life is mostly on impulse.

19) How do you subjectively view comfort and how do you create comfort in your life and surroundings?
I value comfort. I only wear comfortable clothes. I love being at home cuddled under a blanket. On the other hand, I don't mind getting outside of my comfort zone when I need to.

Shalimar

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I detect a LOT of Fi on you and some N as well so I would say ENFP.

LittleVoice

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you considered ENFP?

I could possibly see ESTP with some of the things you've said about showing love through actions and not liking people who can't stand up for themselves and being intense and passionate. But those could easily by E8 traits as well.

You sound very self aware and I trust you will find your type. I've been into it all for 12 years and it's only been since 2015 I realised I was ISFJ! It takes as long as it takes and I know it's annoying when you're impatient to figure it all out but you learn so much about yourself along the way.

I definitely think ExxP is a good fit from what you say. I see bits of ENFP, ENTP and ESTP though so it's no wonder you're struggling to come to a decision.

LittleVoice

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Re-reading and my god you have so much Ne! I love it!

I think a common misconception is that ENTPs aren't caring and that really bothers me. There are plenty of people who are stereotypically caring types that are caring on the surface but are actually horrible people. I'm married to an INTP and whilst he doesn't come off as caring he is very caring when it comes to me and our daughter. I hate these mbti stereotypes because it prevents people from understanding someone else on a deeper level.