• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFP or INFP can I be both?

Daisydream

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
5w4
I was really into Myers Briggs years ago. I was typed as INFP by several users online and mostly got INFP in tests. I also got ISFP several times. However, I feel I’ve changed over the years as I’ve gotten older. I now mostly (about 75%) get ISFP now along with INTP on a lesser scale or INFP. Over the years I’ve labelled myself an IXXP as the two other letters have never been anything else for me. Always I and always P. I feel within me I’m more INFP than ISFP
I did a test recently and it says I’ve pretty much balanced in n/s which makes a lot more sense to me. Can this be correct? Can I be both ISFP and INFP? I am unsure if I’m more feeling but I think so...

I did a simple test today with 25 questions and got INFP then ISFP
66% INFP
16% ISFP
7% ENFP
4% INTP
2% ISTP

Thing is I don’t feel much compassion anymore as I used to and no longer relate to famous INFP’s and I am not artistic like ISFP or INFP. I like Van Gogh and Monet a lot but am terrible at art.
Movies I like are romantic fantasies and romance movies. Hobbies are travel, aromatherapy..sensory things, astronomy, crafts, flowers and plants.

I focus on the here and Now and find it hard to relax. But this can be just from trauma and stress. These seem to indicate a mix of ISFP and INFP. However I find people highly irritating and and want to speak up and stand my ground. I have been lately and thus isn’t like any of those types.

P.s. on another note... does the typing by your writing site still exist?

Tomb1

No. There's no typology where you can have two types. As I've said, tests are not adequate means for self-typing. It's one step above throwing darts at a board.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Typology categories are a bit limiting, so you may not fit perfectly into one. I do notice a pretty big difference between Se aux and Tert-Si. It can sometimes be harder to distinguish the Ni and Ne for me. Could you talk about how you relate to the sensory world? Se is very in the moment and exploratory. Si has more internalized sensibilities about the concrete world.

As a simplistic contrast, someone with complete Si might have an internalized sense about what Thanksgiving dinner should be like and they might feel sad if the cranberry sauce with real cranberries is replaced with a canned glob because their mother always took the time to make it special. They have a sense of recreating an internalized sense of the concrete world. A classical musician would recreate the exact nuances of a piano sonata. I tend to see it as being specific and personalized relationship with the concrete world.

Someone with Se would be less likely to have internalized it, so Thanksgiving dinner could more easily consist of fish tacos or anything new and interesting. There isn't something to recreate. Se would be more likely to embrace improvisation responding to sounds in the moment being energized by constant change, discovery and newness in the concrete world. There isn't expectation and recreation about the concrete world, but discovery.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I was really into Myers Briggs years ago. I was typed as INFP by several users online and mostly got INFP in tests. I also got ISFP several times. However, I feel I’ve changed over the years as I’ve gotten older. I now mostly (about 75%) get ISFP now along with INTP on a lesser scale or INFP. Over the years I’ve labelled myself an IXXP as the two other letters have never been anything else for me. Always I and always P. I feel within me I’m more INFP than ISFP
I did a test recently and it says I’ve pretty much balanced in n/s which makes a lot more sense to me. Can this be correct? Can I be both ISFP and INFP? I am unsure if I’m more feeling but I think so...

I did a simple test today with 25 questions and got INFP then ISFP
66% INFP
16% ISFP
7% ENFP
4% INTP
2% ISTP

Thing is I don’t feel much compassion anymore as I used to and no longer relate to famous INFP’s and I am not artistic like ISFP or INFP. I like Van Gogh and Monet a lot but am terrible at art.
Movies I like are romantic fantasies and romance movies. Hobbies are travel, aromatherapy..sensory things, astronomy, crafts, flowers and plants.

I focus on the here and Now and find it hard to relax. But this can be just from trauma and stress. These seem to indicate a mix of ISFP and INFP. However I find people highly irritating and and want to speak up and stand my ground. I have been lately and thus isn’t like any of those types.

P.s. on another note... does the typing by your writing site still exist?

Website with writing style is still on the air.
Still giving INTJ to everybody on the version using cognitive functions :D just kidding but its INTJ biased.

Im more open minded so prepare to get a world of possibilities... Ok its not a sea of it but lets get by by the way.

First, it is possible to be middle N/S. That makes you two types at the same time? Not exactly, its rather a personality in the middle. Me getting the quotes is going to take long, but in MBTI (through reckful) its possible to not have a preference between N/S or any dimensions at all. Its possible by MBTI standards, although to studies they will take you as sensor or intuitivie even if you are 51%, but thats for stats analysis and an assist for writing.

Second, there is one study done in the 90s that I read on google some weeks or months ago where they gather the I-E,N-S,T-F,P-J dimensions for some "age ranges". It was found that introversion,sensing,thinking and judging increases over the age ranges, however it was inconclusive if that means that people gets different preference as they old (through introversion,sensing,thinking and judging) or if the new generation was more extroverted,intuitive,feeler and perceveir or both. So, you getting more to S as you old is possibly a common trend. But s far as I remember the degree is something like 10-30% from 12 to 60 years old, so its less than a 1% increase by year (so this should be observe through decades and not in just a few years).

Third, i got two (one posted) alternative theorys, they all support Xs in one way or another. It could be that your Se and Si almost equal your Ne and Ni OR that you are a Fi-dom, have Te on 7th or 8th on the stack, and your Se equals your Ne on strengh. Its possible.

Fourth, if you follow some fixed cognitive function stacks, these are in trouble on academic studies.

Thats it. Hope it helps.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Typology categories are a bit limiting, so you may not fit perfectly into one. I do notice a pretty big difference between Se aux and Tert-Si. It can sometimes be harder to distinguish the Ni and Ne for me. Could you talk about how you relate to the sensory world? Se is very in the moment and exploratory. Si has more internalized sensibilities about the concrete world.

As a simplistic contrast, someone with complete Si might have an internalized sense about what Thanksgiving dinner should be like and they might feel sad if the cranberry sauce with real cranberries is replaced with a canned glob because their mother always took the time to make it special. They have a sense of recreating an internalized sense of the concrete world. A classical musician would recreate the exact nuances of a piano sonata. I tend to see it as being specific and personalized relationship with the concrete world.

Someone with Se would be less likely to have internalized it, so Thanksgiving dinner could more easily consist of fish tacos or anything new and interesting. There isn't something to recreate. Se would be more likely to embrace improvisation responding to sounds in the moment being energized by constant change, discovery and newness in the concrete world. There isn't expectation and recreation about the concrete world, but discovery.

This is the best description of the differences between Si and Se that I've read. Thank you for it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can be both but it will cost you 15 years of your life

LittleVoice

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi

I felt like you for such a long time. I was caught between INFJ and ISFJ. Because I don't relate to the negative stereotypes of ISFJ and sensors in general, I mistyped as INFJ.
Cognitive functions are you best friend here. Just be aware that descriptions of sensing functions can sound shallow. Do a bit of reading around and see if you relate more to Se than Ne.
A big thing I notice about ISFPs is they are in the moment sort of people. They're usually quirky but in a more grounded way than INFPs.
I hope you figure things out. Regardless, both INFP and ISFP are lovely types to be. I'd love to be either one of them!

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had the same issue for a while. INFP vs. ISFP. What really solidified it for me were these differences:

As an ISFP, I'm more in the present and make decisions based on my thoughts and feelings at the moment. If someone were to ask me "What are you doing next weekend?" If I don't have exact plans (usually not), I'm prone to say "I don't know. It depends on how I feel." An INFP I think is more future-oriented.

I'm direct, straightforward, and down-to-earth.
I'd rather take a photograph, paint something, wear a certain outfit, etc to express myself rather than write it down. I find it hard to verbally-express my inner world. I'm also very much an actions vs. words type of person.

I love adventures and want to see and take in the world thorough sensations and experiences (Se). Especially nature and travel.

Hope this helps!

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Are you old-fashioned? Do you believe in love on the first sight?