• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Attempting to type myself has proven ineffective. HELP

soul_searching

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I don’t think there’s anything specific that may impact my answers. I’m not stressed or anything.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

as.jpg

The first thing that struck me was the beautiful colors. I just find it aesthetically pleasing overall. I love that there’s water and what I thought was a waterfall behind the pond, but now I’m wondering if it’s more lights? Either way I love it. I feel almost “at home” viewing this. I can’t quite articulate why I feel that way; all I know is that I’m being pulled into it, and it evokes an inexplainable feeling. The only things I don’t like about it are the buildings and mismatched lights in/outside them. They just feel out of place to me. However, that wasn’t something I noticed right away – I only noticed the colors and pond initially, then slowly pieced the entire picture together (i.e. noticed different aspects at a time) and viewed it as a whole and then noticed what didn’t fit with the aesthetic/energy.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Honestly, I’d probably be irritated and kind of “shut down”. But I’d try not to let that show outwardly. (I sometimes find it hard to imagine myself in certain situations that I haven't personally experienced in some variation, so honestly, I can say I’d react in a certain way, however, sometimes, I don’t truly know until it happens.)

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I think it would depend on where the afterparty was and if I was feeling it. If I could easily uber home (i.e. wasn’t in an unfamiliar place) I’d probably go but cling to those I already knew.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I’d feel it in my body first; my heart would start racing, my face would turn red, and I may end up shaking slightly. Outwardly I would either not say anything at all or try to be as diplomatic as possible because I’m not the type of person to start a fight or cause conflict, even if internally I’d want to rip their eyes out. I’d conduct myself well (or honestly try to), especially in front of my other friends.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I’d most likely have the same reaction as above.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I value seeing the good in people, treating them as you’d want to be treated. Since I was a little girl, I saw the best in people. And while this has somewhat changed over time and from painful experiences, and I’ve become pessimistic and doubtful regarding people in some respects, the core belief itself hasn’t shaken too much. At my core I believe people deserve to be seen, especially for the good they have inside them, even if it contradicts what they show outwardly. I value relationships, being committed and faithful in those relationships. When I was younger I had very black and white views on this – you should not as much as look at another person when you’re in a committed relationship, nor should you feel attraction to, or desire another person. I felt doing so made you just as guilty as you’d be for acting on it. This belief could not be wavered in any way, shape, or form. But now that I’ve personally gone through the other side, I don’t feel that’s necessarily true, and I have more empathy for those who do stray in relationships. Yes, it’s still a trigger for me (being cheated on is one of my biggest fears, which obviously stems from deep insecurity), but I’m no longer going to crucify you for making a mistake.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a) The fact I’m very passive, sensitive, and agreeable. I kind of feel like if you stripped me of these qualities, I’d have nothing left, even though these qualities aren’t always the best to have. So clearly, they define me, perhaps more than they should.

b) I’d change probably the passive and agreeable because it makes me feel weak most of the time. I feel like I’m walking through life internally screaming, like I’m living behind soundproof walls, and the rest of the world can’t hear me and has no idea how I truly feel. I wouldn’t change my sensitivity, other than the fact I’d use it as more of an asset, i.e. write more and express myself more.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

Honestly, I doubt my hunches/gut feelings, a lot. I always try to pick them apart and analyze them; why am I feeling this way, should I be feeling this way, how do I stop feeling this way, etc. I tend to joke that I ‘don’t have instincts’ but deep down, I know that’s obviously not true; I just don’t trust them the way most people seem to. I feel very stuck inside my head most of the time; it feels like a very emotionally heavy cloudy headspace. So, all in all, I tend to question, doubt, and analyze to death.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a) I’m energized by expressing myself in some capacity, whether it’s writing, conversing in a forum, spending time with my fiancé, family or friends. I get such a high from being around certain people, and sometimes, because I’m typically so quiet, when I come out of my shell and as much as speak to someone, I feel energized. Deep down I have a desire to connect with people on a real level, it’s just getting out of my own way. Even cleaning/putting things in order gives me energy – when I’m in this mode, I’m unstoppable. There’s something freeing about purging and reorganizing.

b) I never realized this before, but I’m really drained by sitting around doing nothing; lounging around, binge-watching tv. Even though others may see me as lazy (which admittedly a lot of the time, I can be), I truly believe that stems from something internal in me, almost like a spark has gone out, and the only way to reignite it is to find something stimulating (that’s honestly the best way I can explain it), which is usually having a one-on-one intense conversation, or any of the activities that energize me above. But it takes an unusual amount of energy to get myself into that free-flowing, almost zen-like state.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

My anger. I harbor a lot of resentment and anger towards many people and circumstances, but for the most part, that stays under wraps. Whenever I do express this, it’s never positive. Other people react negatively. I recall my first memory of my relationship with anger when I was eight-years-old. This girl who was supposedly my friend finally pushed me over the edge (honestly I forget what she even did, but I do remember how I felt in that moment), and I blew up at her in a letter, and she gave it to the teacher who read it out loud. I only remember this part: “You don’t treat me like a person.” And I got in trouble for it. So I think somewhere in my subconscious, expressing my anger, to me, meant I was a bad person, and now I tend to swallow these feelings. I also repress my inferiority complex. If someone gets attention for something I wish I had done or shared, then there’s internal jealousy, but I ensure it never shows outwardly. I'll just slip away without them realizing it.

Edit: Please let me know if anything needs elaboration/clarification!

Melly382

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, I cannot speak to the Myers Briggs type, but you said a number of things that made me think of Enneagram type 9. Specifically:

1. The way you deal with conflict or anger, and repress your extreme feelings so as not to appear outwardly disruptive to others (or to be inwardly disturbed). Ex: shutting down when experiencing irritation in the example of the car breaking down. You didn't really say WHY you react the way that you do so I can't truly ascribe 9 motives, but it definitely fits the 9 pattern.
2. You mention that you often have to analyze your feelings and that you feel like you have an "emotionally heavy cloudy headspace," which makes me think of type 9's tendency to numb and lose contact with their feelings to maintain inner peace and harmony. I've seen it said that some 9's aren't really in touch with what they really feel because they spend so much time and energy trying NOT to be in touch with it so as to maintain that sense of inner peace (although some 9s say they are very in touch with their emotions).
3. Seeing the good in others, being passive/agreeable/tolerant of others, especially as defining qualities
4. It requiring an "unsual amount of energy" to feel energized/productive/zen (9's problem with inertia), but feeling energized and unstoppable when you DO make moves
5. The repression of anger resulting in an explosion when you've been pushed too far, but the swallowing of that anger to keep the peace and avoid being a "bad person" for asserting your own needs

Is there anything about yourself that you felt like the questionnaire didn't allow you to touch on?

soul_searching

Well, I cannot speak to the Myers Briggs type, but you said a number of things that made me think of Enneagram type 9.

I had typed myself as Enneagram 9 months ago, so that's interesting. I had my doubts, but after reading your comments, I think I'm pretty settled on that. It's MBTI that I'm very unsure of.

Is there anything about yourself that you felt like the questionnaire didn't allow you to touch on?

I think a perfect example of explaining my thought process is how I’ve been attempting to learn about the cognitive functions and type myself. I do enjoy reading about the different theories, but only if I feel like it will give me a better understanding and help me figure this out. I find myself getting frustrated that there’s not one definitive way to type myself. It’s not that I’m looking to define myself by this, because a type obviously isn’t going to do that.. it’s more just wanting to understand my cognitive process, and in relation to others. I tend to skip over things and look for short cuts i.e. hoping someone can explain why I use the cognitive functions I use. But when I get that, I start doubting all over again, because I think ‘wait a minute, what if I actually use Fe-Si or Ne-Si or whatever’ regarding a specific scenario I’m analyzing in my head. Or someone says I’m Fi E9 (hence why I feel very others focused) but what if I’m actually Fe E4, how would that look differently from the former? I go through periods where I obsess over things and go in circles.. never really reaching a definitive conclusion, but I’m not okay with that as I imagine Ne would be. I don’t relate to ISFJ because I’m only responsible and a hard worker when I feel connected to something. I’ve had difficulties in jobs because of this; if I didn’t feel connected to the work or industry, or if I felt I was being mistreated, especially, I’d shut down or do the bare minimum to get by. But this could have been depression, therefore, it’s hard to discern cognitive functions from other factors.

The only reason I finally settled on E9 was because I reflected on my childhood wound and common themes in my life; which was feeling unseen, being ignored, and repressing anger/exploding, and how it impacted me throughout life, is very much in alignment with Type 9. But I see pieces of myself in mostly all cognitive functions in some way, shape, or form. I feel like when people read my answers, they're just matching what I say to a specific type, when really, I want to be typed by the cognitive functions. I’m genuinely interested in understanding my thought process.

Not sure if any of that was helpful, but that’s all I could think of now. If there are specific questions you want me to answer to get a better feel for which functions I use, please let me know. 😊

soul_searching

INFP. Try reading the description. Does it fit you well?
Do you read novel?

Of course I've read descriptions. It's not about descriptions. I can relate to any description, that doesn't necessarily mean it's me. And what does reading novels have to do with figuring out my type?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I notice that some type tend to read novels for story reading, some prefer watching movie, or reading comics. When you prefer reading novel than watching movies, reading comics, for story reading, it signifies you are more energetic in story told in words than a picture or motion picture. I associate picture more with extroverted sensation psychological function, since the story is told in picture, the reader have to use their sightsense to understand it and I associate a story told in words with associated with extroverted intuitive psychological function,, since the story is told in words that have meaning that can only be perceived intuitively.
A spesific example will be In comics or anime or cartoon, the reader don't have to read a description of a person in words: like a tall man,with slim body, head covered curly hair and has a green eyes; it is enough to see the drawing of the picture by the anime artist or mangaka artist. The description in words is usually told in novel.
Because of different psychic energy nature, An extroverted sensation type won't be able to read novel as many as the extroverted intuitor, but they will be energetic to read comics and watch anime more than the extroverted intuitive. Although both reading novels and reading comics, watching anime is actually an activity to read story, the psychic energy is needed to exercise each activities is different in nature. So when someone read comics more, for story reading than novel or read novel more than comics, you can have a clue to his psychological function in his / her psyche.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bumping this up; revisiting

Welcome back.

I get some IXFX vibes from your writing. I wish I could be more specific, but the best way to type someone in my experience is to observe them in the wild over a period of time. It’s not so much what they say they’re about in hypothetical scenarios, but how they engage with the world, imo.

Stick around awhile & build rapport with folks here. Seeing how you express yourself over a wide range of topics & react to others in real-time tends to be quite helpful.