• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I INFP or INFJ?

Gabby2

Enneagram
I'm in confusion about whether I am judging or perceiving. I'm either INFJ or INFP. I relate much more to INFP especially their introverted feeling trait except I'm a bit iffy on the last letter. Here is a list of things that contribute:

-I dislike goals and see them as kind of stupid. In my mind I've always thought: If I want to do something I'll just do it. Whether I do it or not won't change because I've written it down on a piece of paper! (I used to get into arguments with my teachers about that a lot lol).
-I value the freedom to improvise.
-I like plans but only loose plans and I want to have the freedom to change them if I want to.
-If I were going to go on a vacation I wouldn't really plan anything I would just jot down a bunch of stuff I'd want to do but wouldn't make an actual itinerary.
-My ESTJ dad really annoys me when he's in this: if we don't have a set place we're going to or a set thing we're going to do then we might as well just go home and do nothing, mode.
-I am very organized and tidy.
-I hate uncertainty but hate tight itinerary's and need the freedom to improvise and do what I may want to do at any given moment.
-With cleaning and a lot of things in my life I'm usually an all or nothing person. I'll either clean the whole kitchen or I won't clean it at all. I'll either work really hard on this project or I won't try at it at all.
-In a workplace I don't really enjoy routine. And if I'm doing the same thing everyday I'd need to know that I'm working towards something big and important or else is begin to feel restless and unfulfilled.
-I do like being prepared for things and I often make to do lists.
-I am indecisive and if people are pressuring me to make a decision I either make a horrible decision or I get agitated, lash out, and get very distressed.
-I've always said this kind of thing to my mom as a kid and still have this mindset: Why wait to go places? If you want to go to the store and have the time why not just go right away? Why plan for later or tomorrow?
-When my life gets repetitive I start to get restless and look for the next big thing such as getting another pet or going on a vacation to make life exciting again.
-I'm not very laid back as I do have anxiety issues.
-I will admit that I have filled out the four year high school plan thing that was given out to me. Where you put down all the classes you'll take for the next couple years. I don't like uncertainty.

So in conclusion I'm trying to figure out whether I'm judging or perceiving. I feel like I really do like to have my options open but at the same time hate uncertainty?? I'd appreciate any insight and thankyou.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Nearly every single item on that list seems to be about how you are, or are not, Si. So it's probably a conscious but non-preferred function, making you an NP.

Also, if you don't know what your own type is, how can you claim to know someone else's?

Gabby2

Enneagram
Nearly every single item on that list seems to be about how you are, or are not, Si. So it's probably a conscious but non-preferred function, making you an NP. Also, if you don't know what your own type is, how can you claim to know someone else's?

Because my dad told me that's the type he is and he told me that's what he got on the test and when I read the estj discription it was literally exactly like him..

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Because my dad told me that's the type he is and he told me that's what he got on the test and when I read the estj discription it was literally exactly like him..

Ok, so it was his own self-typing. Still, I'm doubtful because an ST parent with an NF child rarely happens. It does occassionally, usually because of oddly matched parents where the other one is an NF, or as just a random fluctuation.

Generally though, children take after their same-sex parents/grand-parents etc.

It's possible that you're an exception, but given that it's unlikely, I'd think it over a bit if I were you.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
My dad is an istj and I'm an infj. I don't think having an ST parent is that unlikely given how frequently they crop up in the population.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
My dad is an istj and I'm an infj. I don't think having an ST parent is that unlikely given how frequently they crop up in the population.

Well, I guess we'll have to wait for a verified database of types in the population to determine who's correct.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
A source, some kind of proof?
I disagree. My mother's an ENFJ, Ni heavily runs through my family, with SF second in line. My Ni is very poor, and it is one of the functions which often annoy me (sorry guys, not the best place to say that).
I'm not the only one in such a situation. I've known plenty of intuitives born in S-heavy families, and vice versa.
We don't know if type is hereditary, defined by environment or if it even exists. It could be a combination of both, but from what I've observed, environment and experience do the most.

I'll keep my sources hidden for now, but word is it's a distinct phenomenon.

More investigation is required.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Why would you keep them hidden? It would be useful to understand your point

Ehh, my mind is made up. It will only cause conflict, and no one will be convinced.

But I can say about the "if type even exists" question: I have very clear reads of my own cognition that follow the function order formula. Not sure how else to say that.

But I also know that we are not purely one type. So cognitive functions are an incredibly useful model for describing the nature of thoughts, but there are problems associated with saying "I am type ABCD and not any of the others".

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Ok, I'll say this much:

The person who may be the best typologist in the world (I have no shame in phrasing it like that) has found that there is a strong correlation between a person's type and the type of their children of the same sex.

My intuition says that he's correct, although there is of course complications involved because the type of the father may be different from the type of the mother's father, and the son may take after him instead and so on.

I'd gamble on it, and that's why I promote the idea, but we need to wait for confirmation and details.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
That's a personal opinion. Yours.

I don't know that "opinion" is the correct word in this case. It's a hypothesis, and yes, one that I would bet is (largely) correct. It's something that can be verified or falsified (apart from the vagueness of the term "rarely"), though that will require time and effort (in order to devise and implement methods for carrying out the necessary data collection).

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Based on what?

I've already mentioned that in this thread.

It also agrees with my personal observations, although I haven't observed a large enough sample size to say anything with much weight.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe

I'm not quite sure what you're implying. What I said amounts to stating that I can verify the claim independently (or, partially verify, for the reason given), as opposed to going purely off of hearsay.

(similar to saying "I read the result in a science textbook, but I've also performed the experiment")

Jaguar

I'm not quite sure what you're implying.

It means you view others through a personal lens without using any external reference points such as the use of type models. That makes your so-called typing of others nothing more than a parlor game. "Bob likes Van Halen, ergo, he must be ISFP." That type of illogical nonsense isn't going to get you very far. ;)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It means you view others through a personal lens without using any external reference points such as the use of type models. That makes your so-called typing of others nothing more than a parlor game. "Bob likes Van Halen, ergo, he must be ISFP." That type of illogical nonsense isn't going to get you very far. ;)

I do use type methods/models, ones I've pieced together from the information I've intaken and the insight I've generated regarding type. I'm much better at this than you seem to be implying (though I'm not implying that I don't make mistakes).

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mean, I am sure environmental factors play a part in type, but I do not think type is genetic.

Although my mother is difficult to type due to her mental illness, me and a friend scrummaging through it agree that moreless she is likely an INFx. Leaning to INFP. My grandfather is a very obvious STJ. My brother typed through as ISTP. But as noted here I have somehow ended up in a room of mostly, most likely introverts, as an extravert. None of them understand my desire to be outwardly connected and why interactions matters SO MUCH to me. I know they struggle with my indecisive nature a lot of times. So there is a disconnect between what type I am and what type my family is. My brother has the biggest divide, however. Not a damn one of us get him and not sure I want to either. He's a domineering asshole. Thinks he can do whatever he wants. On his time. Thinks he knows everything.

But anywho. I think an argument could be made that the environment effects your ENNEAGRAM type moreso than your MBTI type. the way you grow up heavily impacts what enneagram you tend to lean towards.

Jaguar

I do use type methods/models, ones I've pieced together from the information I've intaken and the insight I've generated regarding type. I'm much better at this than you seem to be implying (though I'm not implying that I don't make mistakes).

You lost the right to be taken seriously when you posted this nonsense:

an ST parent with an NF child rarely happens.

Carry on.

Jaguar

Of course their type influences the way they raise you and what you could turn out to be but it's not just one possibility.

There was a guy in this forum who nearly everyone thought was a poster boy ENTJ. I never bought it for a minute despite what the crowd thought. I still recall saying out loud, "If this guy isn't an ENFP I'll eat my hat." I went to find his posting history - all the way to the beginning. In a post, he was telling people he was trying to figure out whether he was ENFP or ENFJ and that his STJ father had "trained him" to be ENTJ. Here's a guy who knew he wasn't ENTJ, and the kid was probably a beaten down idealist by a hardcore military type father who refused to tolerate any of his aspirations. The kid had one of the worst chips on his shoulder (courtesy of Daddy, no doubt) but knowing what his dad was like, it all made sense in the end why he was behaving the way he was. Did I ever question the guy about his type in public? No. I had better things to do than fuck with a kid who was probably abused by a dickhead father.