• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are Tests That Requires a Fee Worth It?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know where to put this so if a mod can move it wherever they think fits best, have at it. But I found this, and kinda gawked at the prices. It's always good to find the answers if I can get it for free, but I wonder if paying for something can actually illuminate some of my confusions as well as introduce something to me that my current psyche wouldn't let me see. So, do you think it's worth paying for something when learning about one's type, or is it all bullshit?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Caveat Emptor.
Everything has a cost in time and a price to be payed somehow.
Consider what you're actually getting vs what you don't.
IME most come to the answer of whether or not the cost is worth it on their own.
Good Luck.

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, not at all. They are exactly the same as the free ones.

If you send me the limited time low fee of just $19.99 I’ll be happy to tell you. If you act now I’ll also give you my thoughts on the works of French post-impressionist artist, Gaston La Touche!

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
If you send me the limited time low fee of just $19.99 I’ll be happy to tell you. If you act now I’ll also give you my thoughts on the works of French post-impressionist artist, Gaston La Touche!

Touche! :duel:

Greed

#1 thot
no, unless you're rich enough that you burn money for kicks.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
It depends on how much of a hobbyist you are. There are people who spend $60 on yarn. There are people who spend $120 on hiking boots. There are people who spend thousands on photography equipment.

It really just depends on how much you personally value it. $60 for 20 pages seems a bit steep to me, probably twice over, but there is an intrinsic value to these sort of reports as well.

If they offered it for half off, I'd jump at it. I can't really say anything though because I recently considered spending $65 on a birth chart analysis report (I think it was 40 pages). Many of you will laugh at that, but I'm financially secure and this is a primary hobby of mine (self-exploration in general, but also a fascination with the influence invisible energetic forces have on matter, and also abstract concepts like personality).

$60 could also buy you several interesting books on any subject matter, but you'd then be responsible for drawing connections between the material and yourself if you chose typology books.

Some people who think it's too much money are really just having a fear reaction to being manipulated in some sense, similar to "What a rip off! They just want to empty my pockets in exchange for snake oil!"

tl;dr - Only you can prevent forest fires determine what is valuable to you.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

no, unless you're rich enough that you burn money for kicks.

One day. One day, I swear, I will be in my late 30's, with a great big house, a big sum of money, and ladies throwing themselves at my feet.

Just kidding, I just wanna live in a cabin the woods, alone, with nobody bothering me. But good point.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mmmmmm I don't think the tests really help much. Once you've studied typology to a degree, there is always an internal thing of knowing what answer you're going to get.

My personal opinion would be to save money from the test and possibly see an actual typologist. There are some psychologists or such who study MBTI and will type you. You can get their opinion on your behavior, which is much better than a piece of paper could do.

What I would do is invest in books moreso than actually...well pay for another test. Books don't add perfect clarity but you begin to get a deeper understanding of MBTI/enneagram as it is.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is no way I'd pay for a test. Moreover you can't know in advance which kind of questions you'll be confronted to (precise or not etc).

I have been paying for some conferences and travels for enneagram but this was for the sake of adventure, to meet other people and have a concrete experiment.

The books I have at home (mbti in french + one in english + 15 about enneagram have allowed me to reach the shelves of basic knowledge, no other).

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mmmmmm I don't think the tests really help much. Once you've studied typology to a degree, there is always an internal thing of knowing what answer you're going to get.

My personal opinion would be to save money from the test and possibly see an actual typologist. There are some psychologists or such who study MBTI and will type you. You can get their opinion on your behavior, which is much better than a piece of paper could do.

What I would do is invest in books moreso than actually...well pay for another test. Books don't add perfect clarity but you begin to get a deeper understanding of MBTI/enneagram as it is.

Great advice, thank you!