• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cascade's brutal scenario answers

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone have any thoughts on anything typological demonstrated conclusively here? (I don't really care what system is used). I last did a 'type' thread oh, back in 2008? This is mostly fun, as I have a pretty good notion of what I do and do not relate to, but it is always interesting to see how people go about viewing personality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCENARIO 1

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.

- Describe how this scenario would make you feel as well as what sort of influences and motivations lie behind those feelings. Why do you feel the way you do?
Prior to speaking to his family and finding out what was really wrong, I'd be extremely confused; the breakup effectively came out of nowhere, if ring shopping occurred the week prior and nothing else prior indicated a breakup. So it really wouldn't make sense to me; I mean obviously too I'd be incredibly upset prior to knowing what was going on and him having entered a black non-communication hole. After speaking with the family and learning what was going on, I'd first of all be really sad re health diagnosis. I'd probably simultaneously understand emotionally why he felt the need to break up, while at the same time being really hurt and upset/bothered/angry that he didn't want to tell me and I wasn't 'worthy' of being told whereas his family was. --->This element itself would be confusing to me and it would honestly probably make me second guess the entire nature of the relationship. Put another way, I find it hard to believe a 'deep' relationship heading towards marriage would lack the ability for him to be upfront with me. Makes no sense.

- In this scenario what would you honestly say the primary focus of your feelings would be?
In the context of myself, wondering who he really is / questioning the relationship and what I thought it was? Additionally, pain, anger, loss, confusion and sadness for him, prob. lots of mixed and oppositional feelings. But if I'm honest, in the context of the relationship, I'd possibly have to re-write my whole understanding of it/him. The lack of any communication is mind-boggling tbh. And cowardly, in a sense. Really begs the question of intimacy existing at all. But, in the end, it would just be a big bundle of mixed feelings, and it's not like I'd cease wanting to see him through the end; it's just a really weird scenario, and I find it difficult to comprehend. But to be honest the scenario didn't explain the timeframe - if all of this happened in a matter of days, that's nothing. If it's two weeks before i finally find out from his family, and he still doesn't talk to me, that's even weirder. You know? Belated edit: All of this would be going on in my head but I probably wouldn't verbalize the majority of it. Also, when reading the scenario my mind went straight to kind of a doorslam-not-communicating-for-weeks thing.

SCENARIO 2

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

You are in college and this semester both you and your roommate end up in the same class together. You and your roommate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your roommate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your roommate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.

- How do you respond to your roommate’s request and why?

Ha. Trying to be as honest as possible here and also factor in how I was way back in school. I was 100% self sufficient for the most part, and kind of viewed things as... if you are able to do well and excel at the test/class, then you deserve it; if you are unable to, perhaps it's indicative of a lack of talent in that area or the grade you get is actually reflective of your abilities/ what you 'deserve'. I'm aware that sounds harsh. But, back then, I never let people copy, I never overly helped. Those are my personal 'real' feelings on the subject. That said, I'd also probably feel bad not offering any help - especially given the fact the person isn't wanting to copy and just needs some coaching and such. I'd probably answer questions regarding the nature of the material itself, if there's an understanding gap, but when it came to the test questions themselves I'd probably draw a line. iow I'd keep it general but would set boundaries if it got too close to giving the answers or aiding in the answers for the actual test.

- What sort of things in this scenario stand out to you as far as having a strong influence on your decision making and why?
The level of appeal and 'suffering' the roommate is experiencing would probably play into how I react - and whether they're genuinely in need. I suppose how close/not close we are also plays into it (ie the nature of our relationship is neutral / not super invested in the first place, per description). Also,my own capacity to help without it impacting any other classes, exams, studying, things I already have going on for myself. Also I wouldn't dive in and become the uber-mentor; my help would be minimal, in all likelihood, regardless of how much time I actually would have to commit to it (per comments above). Roommate would highly likely perceive me as begrudgingly helping and if they are a good people reader would probably end up trying to find help elsewhere tbh. :laugh:.

- Describe the flow of your decision making process.

Already described.

SCENARIO 3

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of group work where you would be logically thinking through the project together with the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.

- Which project appeals to you the most, as it relates to the way you prefer to logically process information? Why?

Uggh... neither? Haha. But, from my project management days, I'm gonna have to go with 'B' even though there are aspects of 'B' that I don't like. As, I've experienced a bit of both from those days, and there are pros and cons to both. But ultimately from experience I know that 'A' can wear me out more than 'B', and I end up having more personal satisfaction and control over 'B' vs. 'A'.

The pro of A and the thing that would be beneficial for it would be that it would actually have a higher purpose and there would seem to be more of a 'point' to doing it -- as in, it's going to be implemented, there will be a significant impact, thus there's more energy momentum and incentive to do that. Also there are pluses to working on a team as everyone can build onto each other. (This scenario basically reminds me of business analyst requirement gathering, where I'd be gathering requirements from ppl and writing specifications up from that input). The negative is... it's exhausting. Trying to factor in everyones' varying needs and thoughts.

The pro of B is I can dive into everything and actually figure it all out for myself -- it becomes kind of a perfect creation and everything makes sense within itself, and I can take pride in having personally done/created something that I am proud of doing. I have done this too, and it's very satisfying to have everything documented and all of the linkages explained. The negative is the potential for it to be 'useless' as it might not even be implemented or acknowledged or followed or utilized - which would be frustrating and demoralizing. (Which means it is potentially more 'pointless' than scenario 'A'.

- What sort of things in this scenario, across either project, stood out to you as having a strong influence on your decision? Why?
Pros/cons in terms of how emotionally/socially taxing it will be, group work vs solo work, a potentially compromised final output vs 'perfect' final output.

SCENARIO 4

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your college professor has assigned you to a group project with 3 other individuals. All 3 of these individuals have a good strong work ethic and desire to contribute to the overall success of this project. You are at the first meeting of your group and the other members are tossing around valuable ideas as to the nature and direction of this project.

- Describe your behavior in this situation as you process and think about the ideas they are presenting.

? Seems like an ideal kind of setting (edit: I mean, outside of the fact it's a group project which I always really hated growing up. But given the fact it's an obligatory group project, the people I'm with sound ideal :)) . I'd probably sit back and mostly listen, add comments as I see fit, if I think a particular idea isn't fantastic, chime in, if I think something sounds really good, chime in, etc.

- Describe what major influences drive this behavior.

Not even sure what to say here. I don't have a strong need to 'drive' the group direction? ie I'm not going to automatically take on the leadership/driving role, most especially if I'm with 3 other competent hard-working people. If I were with 3 non-competent people, I'd be much more likely to feel the need to do this, since I wouldn't trust the others to do it, want to do it, or do a good job, or to care about it, but given the scenario, I'd probably be perfectly fine just being along for the ride and adding input as needed.

SCENARIO 5

FOCUS ON THE SOURCES YOU DRAW NON-PHYSICAL ENERGY FROM HERE

It has been a very long week and you feel mentally and emotionally drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.

- Describe what sort of activities would help you to recharge. What would you enjoy doing after a long week and why?

I probably wouldn't do much at all. After that sort of week, all I would want to do would be to have a leisurely morning, with some tea, computer browsing, then reading, walk/run outside potentially at some point, maybe some painting, nothing much tbh.

- What sort of things do you feel you draw non-physical energy from doing?
As in, what restores me mentally and emotionally? Probably just meditation/zoning out, listening to music, reading, having 100% time to myself with no one interrupting or needing me will restore me.

But this is all introverted stuff, if I had a really bad/stressful week and didn't want to interact with anyone at all. But sometimes I would prefer to do things with one of my good friends - go out and get a drink and catch up, or play games.

The most *healing* thing for me though is doing a long hike in the mountains, or going on vacation. :happy2: But, with this run-of-the-mill scenario of it being a horrible week, I'd probably stay home and be a hermit for a day, like I wrote.

SCENARIO 6

FOCUS ON THINKING VS FEELING HERE

You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you a list of the following careers and asks you to pick your TOP 3. He/she asks you to take money out of the equation. Imagine all of these careers received equal compensation. Focus instead on where you would truly feel most happy and fulfilled.

Artist, Scientist, Actor, Engineer, Musician, Lawyer, Counselor, Entrepreneur, Teacher, Manager, Psychologist, Computer Programmer / Analyst, Clergy, Child Care, Medical Doctor

- What were your top 3 choices and what aspects of these careers appeal to you?

Top 3 are Artist, Scientist, and maybe Psychologist. Simply because I enjoy art/creation, I have always loved most science classes/topics, and I have a natural inclination towards psychology and observing, analyzing, contemplating people. Also, many of the others I already know either don't fit my personality strengths/natural skills, or I don't care enough about the subject.

- Was it difficult or easy to pick only 3 and why?

Not terribly difficult. All of them have the potential to be less people-oriented and more solo, thing-, or subject-oriented, which is better for me, and all tie to my general interests/inclinations.

- Prioritize the aspects of your career choices that influenced your decision, what things mattered most to you, where do you imagine finding the most fulfillment and why?

My choices now are the result of being 40 and knowing what I wouldn't be good at or probably wouldn't enjoy, and also what I'd be more likely to find fulfillment in. Now, at 40, lawyer might be something I'd possibly enjoy, but back in my teens that never crossed my mind, so the three I chose also would fit my teen self, probably. (Though I'll say teen self would have picked engineer instead of psychologist, probably).

What influenced the decision were choosing ones I do find value/interest in, and not choosing what I know I'm not naturally super drawn to or skilled at (I'm not a naturally nurturing, people-oriented, counseling type of person - though I'm a good people-understander, hence psychologist would be fine).

Last edited:

Amberiat

Infinity
S1: All Fi.

S2: Heavy Fi again, hints of Te usage. Also getting an Enneagram 1 vibe from this.

S3: Shows introversion preference, Fi and either Se/Ne (leaning Ne preference from this alone, but it's rather unclear) combo from "Taking pride in creating/doing something you're proud of" and also recognition of Te-oriented thought, but resistance towards it (low Te preference, high introversion preference)

S4: Submissive Te (inferior Te and overall lack of usage, despite it being present which could hint at an underdeveloped inferior function), and hints of auxiliary repression (at this point it's clear enough that you're a Fi dominant, so either Se/Ne auxiliary)

S5: Introversion, if I'm going to read a little deeper into your choice of activities I see pretty clear Se. Hiking/going out for simple walks/running, it implies connection and appreciation of the immediate environment as a natural preference.

S6: I see Fi, and possibly Ni.

Verdict: ISFP, core Enneagram type seems accurate(though this questionnaire doesn't help much in determining Enneagram reliably), scenario 7 would have proven useful in determining whether you use Se/Si and Ne/Ni more accurately, however over the course of your questionnaire I've seen a decent amount of evidence pointing towards Se usage, slight Ni vibes and I haven't seen a single thing that would point towards Si usage that I can speak of. Slight hints of potential Ne usage (Preference towards creation/art) but this could easily be attributed to Se as well, depending on method/motivation. So ISFP it is.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
S1: All Fi.

S2: Heavy Fi again, hints of Te usage. Also getting an Enneagram 1 vibe from this.

S3: Shows introversion preference, Fi and either Se/Ne (leaning Ne preference from this alone, but it's rather unclear) combo from "Taking pride in creating/doing something you're proud of" and also recognition of Te-oriented thought, but resistance towards it (low Te preference, high introversion preference)

S4: Submissive Te (inferior Te and overall lack of usage, despite it being present which could hint at an underdeveloped inferior function), and hints of auxiliary repression (at this point it's clear enough that you're a Fi dominant, so either Se/Ne auxiliary)

S5: Introversion, if I'm going to read a little deeper into your choice of activities I see pretty clear Se. Hiking/going out for simple walks/running, it implies connection and appreciation of the immediate environment as a natural preference.

S6: I see Fi, and possibly Ni.

Verdict: ISFP, core Enneagram type seems accurate(though this questionnaire doesn't help much in determining Enneagram reliably), scenario 7 would have proven useful in determining whether you use Se/Si and Ne/Ni more accurately, however over the course of your questionnaire I've seen a decent amount of evidence pointing towards Se usage, slight Ni vibes and I haven't seen a single thing that would point towards Si usage that I can speak of. Slight hints of potential Ne usage (Preference towards creation/art) but this could easily be attributed to Se as well, depending on method/motivation. So ISFP it is.

Thanks for the thoughts! Function wise, this is probably the most common verdict for me (being more Fi Te, that is). In terms of dichotomy and temperament, though, I'm a far cry from an SP person, and I relate very minimally to most FP / in particular SFP folks in film (or irl for that matter). I think temperamentally I'm far more J than P. I've been thinking of this a lot recently, in watching the Orange is the New Black series, and in looking at who cognitively and behaviorally I comprehend more readily and who is very different from me. I find the FP's in that show quite unrelatable; TP's thought process always makes total sense to me, whereas I find FP's fairly annoying or just making little sense. :laugh: [All of this is to say: this is why I no longer list a type- it's fascinating in some ways that I am commonly typed as Fi dom even though I relate to so little of it that I see or read]

Unfortunately I couldn't do the final scenario as I'm not a member of that site/the link didn't work or take me to an actual image.

Amberiat

Infinity
Thanks for the thoughts! Function wise, this is probably the most common verdict for me (being more Fi Te, that is). In terms of dichotomy and temperament, though, I'm a far cry from an SP person, and I relate very minimally to most FP / in particular SFP folks in film (or irl for that matter). I think temperamentally I'm far more J than P. I've been thinking of this a lot recently, in watching the Orange is the New Black series, and in looking at who cognitively and behaviorally I comprehend more readily and who is very different from me. I find the FP's in that show quite unrelatable; TP's thought process always makes total sense to me, whereas I find FP's fairly annoying or just no sensical :laugh: [All of this is to say: this is why I no longer list a type- it's fascinating in some ways that I am commonly typed as Fi dom even though I relate to so little of it]

Unfortunately I couldn't do the final scenario as I'm not a member of that site/the link didn't work or take me to an actual image.

Maturity could play a role into this. In TV shows and other media/fiction types would be portrayed far more shallowly/less mature on average. You did mention you were in your 40s, so at that point your confusion isn't surprising, considering general descriptions not taking into account levels of maturity and the like. Cognition-wise I think this is spot on, or at least very close to it. The rest of the way you have to visualize your development throughout the years and not take internet descriptions/stereotypes as seriously, because they generally focus on shallow traits and don't do a good job of taking life experience and maturity into consideration.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maturity could play a role into this. In TV shows and other media/fiction types would be portrayed far more shallowly/less mature on average. You did mention you were in your 40s, so at that point your confusion isn't surprising, considering general descriptions not taking into account levels of maturity and the like. Cognition-wise I think this is spot on, or at least very close to it. The rest of the way you have to visualize your development throughout the years and not take internet descriptions/stereotypes as seriously, because they generally focus on shallow traits and don't do a good job of taking life experience and maturity into consideration.

Agreed, re maturity, development, etc. Though, regarding more extreme depictions of characters, I think looking at them can shed some light into ones own tendencies, in terms of what is more understandable/relatable, vs less. It's not cut and dry but I think it can show trends.

At root I'm much more reserved, cautious, take life and things far too seriously most of the time, am deliberate, diligent, vs anything more spontaneously 'flowing' and let's-see-where-this-goes immersion as is the natural bend for a P- particularly an SP. In my early 20's I typed as a J and I would never in my life have considered myself P; cognitive functions has been the only justification for ever typing as myself as such. I think I've tried to embody more P with age, and have definitely worked a lot on boundaries and trying to discover my own wants/needs.