User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    Might want to go into the why as well, because support-seeking and giving loyalty (as behavioural traits) isn't exclusive to E9.
    Support-seeking and reflexive loyalty as a core action set/built-in disposition is exclusive to type 9. The why pertains to the inner logic of the E9 character type.

    Other types may demonstrate overlapping behavior but for them its just peripheral....not a core action set.

    Obviously you're not learned about Classical E6 otherwise you never would have claimed/suggested that support seeking and reflexive loyalty sounds like classical E6.
    Click here for my 2500+ Enneagram Type List to type yourself and others with. It's the only valid breakdown for every enneagram type, wing and stack.

    Click here for the only valid visual typing model of stackings on earth and socionics.
    Click here for enneagram type descriptions as a supplement to the only valid breakdown for every type, wing and stack.
    Click here for my typings of 100+ fictional exemplars and here for my typings of 90+ typology central members.

  2. #12
    Muffin Monster Earl Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomb1 View Post
    Support-seeking and reflexive loyalty as a core action set/built-in disposition is exclusive to type 9. The why pertains to the inner logic of the E9 character type.

    Other types may demonstrate overlapping behavior but for them its just peripheral....not a core action set.

    Obviously you're not learned about Classical E6 otherwise you never would have claimed/suggested that support seeking and reflexive loyalty sounds like classical E6.
    What are the distinctions between E6 and E9 then, to your knowledge? Why are those the 'core action sets' of type 9, and how does it tie into robobot14? Reading her OP sounded like attachment triad, specifically 6 and 9 to me.
    TOLL THE DEAD!
    A cleric who acts like a rogue whose patron might as well be a warlock's
    and whose proficiency spread resembles a wizard's.
    Likes Bismuth Blitz, RadicalDoubt liked this post

  3. #13
    幽霊||๏ Hexcoder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    2,463

    Default

    First, I very strongly disagree with Tomb1.

    Seeking "belonging" pertains more to Soc IV than E9, for one. Sx 9 merging, in contrast, is something that happens unconsciously and automatically. It is the mirroring of traits, the conformity to preferences that are not their own. It's after the stability and security of the relationship as opposed to stability in the decisions in their lives that you find in E6.

    Furthermore, E9 does not actually have a desire to blend, and in fact that "blending" is what makes them angry underneath the surface; it's more like "I can't say no and thus I blend, but I get angry with myself or others about it." One E9 musician worded it well: "You don't ever listen, but I'm the one ignoring me." It's rooted in a lack of assertiveness instead.

    Tom Condon has a video in which he interviews an Sx E9 who shares that his merging experiences, and in it the 9 states that in order to regain a sense of "self" he had to physically separate himself from the person(s) he had unintentionally / unconsciously merged with. Similarly, in my own expeirences as someone who is entirely settled on the fact that I'm a 9 with Sx either dom or mid, I resided in an entirely different state in order to "find myself" after I realized I'd been merging with my father and brother so much throughout my life that I had no clue who I was without them around. There was this sense of being molded and formed by them to the point where I no longer recall my own original laugh since I mirrored my brother's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robot14
    But yeah, I keep turning to others in times of decision making-I need that support system. I'm full of self-doubt. Despite me liking variety in terms of experiences, change really throws me off. Maybe it's the nine fear of loss instead, but yeah, I'm admittedly clingy in relationships, get nervous to leave places just because I'm used to them, that stuff. Also, I have a weird relationship with trust. Like my nine makes me go-with-the flow and at times almost too trusting of friends.
    All of this sounds incredibly E6 to me, not E9. They are both conforming, but the #1 difference that always helped me clear things up in my mind was that in E9 it comes from a place of Agreeableness: wanting to get along to the point of going along with even things they don't want to, not wanting to choose a preference that could bother the other person or create separation, etc. Contrarywise, E6's conformity comes from a place of Neuroticism: fear, anxiety, inability to trust themselves or the information before them (or trusting excessively at times), worst case scenario thinking, etc.
    Fɪʀsᴛ sᴇᴇᴋ ɪɴɴᴇʀ ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇ, ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴜᴛᴇʀ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇꜰᴜʟ.

    “Wᴏᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʜɪɴᴋᴇʀ ᴡʜᴏ ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴀʀᴅᴇɴᴇʀ ʙᴜᴛ ᴏɴʟʏ ᴛʜᴇ sᴏɪʟ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʟᴀɴᴛs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɢʀᴏᴡ ɪɴ ʜɪᴍ.”

    —Nɪᴇᴛᴢsᴄʜᴇ

  4. #14
    Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    (bolded struck me as a general sx sentiment, but not necessarily)
    How much would you say this is a focus in your life? How much do you need to have people you can trust, and why? What do you need to be able to trust them with?
    That doesn't have anything to do with the sexual instinct, which is essentially about attraction/repulsion. Sx is plugging into something to get a charge or shock. It's juicy, but alternatively can be dry because if it's not stimulated, it's not interested and will instinctually communicate that to others without even trying. It's a compass, always searching for the magnetic pull. Someone could be trying to get the attention of the Sx individual, but if they operate from the South, then the Sx won't be interested and won't even turn around to explore that direction.

    On the other hand, let's say you have two Sx individuals. Let's make them both the positive side of two magnets. They both have their own energy field and know what they like. Let's say magnet A is really drawn to magnet B, but magnet B doesn't feel the same about magnet A. No matter how hard magnet A pushes into magnet B (attraction), magnet B will always repel the connection (repulsion).

    Sx is the peacock's feathers, a display of "Here I am! Do you like what you see?!?" And not everyone will be into that display, but the few who are will be drawn in, and from there, the peacock decides who is most alluring.

    The sexual instinct exists on essentially a chemical level and cannot be overridden by will or connection (which is more indicative of the social instinct individual who is concerned with care, warmth, reciprocation, commonality, etc). If for some reason someone with strong sexual attempts to override their internal sense of attraction/repulsion, say, by trying to make an intimate relationship work with someone whose personality is great but who doesn't chemically ignite them, the Sx individual will suffer greatly with dissatisfaction and the relationship will be doomed. I speak from experience.

    With the instincts, you must literally look at it as a deeply rooted, primal drive toward survival... an instinct. It's not nearly as complicated as people make it.
    Perpetual mood


    "It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."


    Philip Trussell

    Likes The Cat, Luminous, Zhaylin liked this post

  5. #15
    Senior Member Venus Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    (bolded struck me as a general sx sentiment, but not necessarily)
    How much would you say this is a focus in your life? How much do you need to have people you can trust, and why? What do you need to be able to trust them with?
    Just wanted to comment - I don't think you said anything wrong here...I can see how that can be viewed as an sx statement.

    Also, this is not a comment on @robobot14's type. As far as I know, she is typing as sp/so, and I don't have any issues with that currently.
    INFP | C-EII-1Ne
    4w5 - 9w1 - 6w5 sx/so

  6. #16
    Muffin Monster Earl Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    That doesn't have anything to do with the sexual instinct, which is essentially about attraction/repulsion. Sx is plugging into something to get a charge or shock. It's juicy, but alternatively can be dry because if it's not stimulated, it's not interested and will instinctually communicate that to others without even trying. It's a compass, always searching for the magnetic pull. Someone could be trying to get the attention of the Sx individual, but if they operate from the South, then the Sx won't be interested and won't even turn around to explore that direction.

    On the other hand, let's say you have two Sx individuals. Let's make them both the positive side of two magnets. They both have their own energy field and know what they like. Let's say magnet A is really drawn to magnet B, but magnet B doesn't feel the same about magnet A. No matter how hard magnet A pushes into magnet B (attraction), magnet B will always repel the connection (repulsion).

    Sx is the peacock's feathers, a display of "Here I am! Do you like what you see?!?" And not everyone will be into that display, but the few who are will be drawn in, and from there, the peacock decides who is most alluring.

    The sexual instinct exists on essentially a chemical level and cannot be overridden by will or connection (which is more indicative of the social instinct individual who is concerned with care, warmth, reciprocation, commonality, etc). If for some reason someone with strong sexual attempts to override their internal sense of attraction/repulsion, say, by trying to make an intimate relationship work with someone whose personality is great but who doesn't chemically ignite them, the Sx individual will suffer greatly with dissatisfaction and the relationship will be doomed. I speak from experience.

    With the instincts, you must literally look at it as a deeply rooted, primal drive toward survival... an instinct. It's not nearly as complicated as people make it.
    Very interesting. I had recently read something along a similar vein, and made similar observations with my sx-dom friend(s). As I told one of them, 'it seems as if you are an electrical appliance with no charge- you have to be plugged into something', which came as a shocking realization to me. It does seem truly chemical rather than a conscious choice- something I also did not realize. Your clarifications are both very enlightening and do match the material I have read, and I may use your post in the future as references towards sx and how it works.

    And in relation to this thread, this is me saying that in other words, take whatever I say about sx with a dead sea of salt.
    TOLL THE DEAD!
    A cleric who acts like a rogue whose patron might as well be a warlock's
    and whose proficiency spread resembles a wizard's.
    Likes Bismuth Blitz, Peter Deadpan liked this post

  7. #17
    Amethyst's Marshmallow 🍬 Bismuth Blitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    964 sp/so
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    Very interesting. I had recently read something along a similar vein, and made similar observations with my sx-dom friend(s). As I told one of them, 'it seems as if you are an electrical appliance with no charge- you have to be plugged into something', which came as a shocking realization to me. It does seem truly chemical rather than a conscious choice- something I also did not realize. Your clarifications are both very enlightening and do match the material I have read, and I may use your post in the future as references towards sx and how it works.

    And in relation to this thread, this is me saying that in other words, take whatever I say about sx with a dead sea of salt.
    Thanks. I don't see sx in myself personally. I am synflow and am definitely SP dom since I am very security focused. Belonging is what I want, yes. The thought of intensity usually makes me cringe

    6/6w7 it is then? I have picked that for now. Though I wonder, just how many decisions do sixes want help with? Though I turn to other people with big decisions like ones about school and am indecisive as a whole, I usually try to stay independent. I don't ask for help much as I should irl. Might be SP though.
    If every porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs.

    Phleg-Mel/RLUAI/Aries Sun, Aquarius Moon, Leo Rising

    ✺𝔸𝕞𝕖𝕥𝕙𝕪𝕤𝕥 𝔸𝕣𝕔𝕙𝕠𝕟, 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕥 𝕛𝕖𝕨𝕖𝕝 𝕚𝕟 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕝𝕒𝕟𝕕, 𝕒 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕕𝕖𝕟 𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕦𝕣𝕖. 𝕀 𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕤𝕠 𝕞𝕦𝕔𝕙 𝕓𝕖𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕖

  8. #18
    Muffin Monster Earl Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robobot14 View Post
    Thanks. I don't see sx in myself personally. I am synflow and am definitely SP dom since I am very security focused. Belonging is what I want, yes. The thought of intensity usually makes me cringe

    6/6w7 it is then? I have picked that for now. Though I wonder, just how many decisions do sixes want help with? Though I turn to other people with big decisions like ones about school and am indecisive as a whole, I usually try to stay independent. I don't ask for help much as I should irl. Might be SP though.
    I do not know you that well and have not been that much around lately, but if you want my two cents in the form of observations I have made about type 6s, it is that on the surface, they could be as studious as one would 'stereotypically' expect a 5 to be, combined with the responsibility, control, and accountability that resembles 1s, especially if sp. It would be mistaken to look through type 6 through purely its dependence/lack of decisiveness, that would be like looking at type 5 only through its antisocialism, type 2 for its neediness, type 8 as its lack of temper control, etc. The strengths of type 6 involve a very can-do attitude and practical, pragmatic approach to life, their strength is in their premediation (as opposed to say, E5s, who are more content with a simpler level of intellectually-based preparation) and very problem-solving mindset at higher health levels. A 6 is a very capable type to be. A more relevant question would be what kind of decisions 6s would need help with (and why), instead of how many. The 'how many' would depend on the specific persons themselves as well as their backgrounds and life situations. A very content, secured 6 might not need to make as many decisions in their life. Indecision is also not exclusive to type 6 (E5 analysis paralysis, anyone?)
    TOLL THE DEAD!
    A cleric who acts like a rogue whose patron might as well be a warlock's
    and whose proficiency spread resembles a wizard's.
    Likes Bismuth Blitz, Peter Deadpan liked this post

  9. #19
    Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    I do not know you that well and have not been that much around lately, but if you want my two cents in the form of observations I have made about type 6s, it is that on the surface, they could be as studious as one would 'stereotypically' expect a 5 to be, combined with the responsibility, control, and accountability that resembles 1s, especially if sp. It would be mistaken to look through type 6 through purely its dependence/lack of decisiveness, that would be like looking at type 5 only through its antisocialism, type 2 for its neediness, type 8 as its lack of temper control, etc. The strengths of type 6 involve a very can-do attitude and practical, pragmatic approach to life, their strength is in their premediation (as opposed to say, E5s, who are more content with a simpler level of intellectually-based preparation) and very problem-solving mindset at higher health levels. A 6 is a very capable type to be. A more relevant question would be what kind of decisions 6s would need help with (and why), instead of how many. The 'how many' would depend on the specific persons themselves as well as their backgrounds and life situations. A very content, secured 6 might not need to make as many decisions in their life. Indecision is also not exclusive to type 6 (E5 analysis paralysis, anyone?)
    Oooh, do me!
    Perpetual mood


    "It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."


    Philip Trussell


  10. #20
    Muffin Monster Earl Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    3,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Oooh, do me!
    You were 4-core, no? I might, 4 is a very interesting type (and I wonder if this comes across as a compliment), if you have a Type Me thread.
    TOLL THE DEAD!
    A cleric who acts like a rogue whose patron might as well be a warlock's
    and whose proficiency spread resembles a wizard's.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Is your head too big?
    By sdalek in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-10-2018, 03:23 PM
  2. Ennagram what do you see your heart, gut and head fixes as personification.
    By Amethyst Archon in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-13-2017, 06:07 PM
  3. [Tri] How can you figure out your head fix?
    By animenagai in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 01:35 AM
  4. Taking MBTT too seriously
    By snegledmaca in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 02:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO