• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help, am I INFJ?

lil.panda95

Hi guys, knowing that INFJ is such a rare type makes me second thought of the possibility of me being one.

- My major is in Psychology as I find human minds really fascinating but I am now gearing towards UX/UI design, brand development and marketing. My favorite series in Netflix is Criminal Minds as I admire how the behavior analysis unit can understand someone's behavior and thought process by just watching a crime scene and through connecting the dots. I am currently doing a volunteer work at a nonprofit organization in redesigning their website and even though my job was only to redesign it, I can't help but to also help them find ways on how to solve the issue they are aiming to solve. Their mission is to promote kindness and inspire support among girls and they visit schools to promote their programs for the little girls to attend where they teach them act of kindness and all that as they believe that promoting kindness is a better way to prevent social bullying instead of anti bullying campaigns. I thought it can't be that simple and that it needs a deeper look into the real issue at hand. I would always try to do more than what people expected from me. I am very passionate and deeply care about this organization because I genuinely want to bring changes into this world. My mission is to help nonprofit organization to achieve their goals and dreams of making the world a better place as I believe that we need more people like them in this world and building a nonprofit organization and to make it work is very very difficult and I don't want them to get discouraged in the face of obstacles. I want to help others reach their goals and dreams and help them acknowledge their true potential and talents. Especially I am into NGOs that target kids as I believe that they are our future. They determine our future. I desire to create a world where our future generations can live peacefully without fear. That if we truly want a better future it all depends on them as they will be living in that future therefore we should educate them and give them unconditional love for them to be healthy adult beings with compassion and love towards others.

-I often catch myself connecting dots from seemingly different topics or have the aha moments which is an amazing feeling hahaha. I notice that when I want to know how something occurred for example gender issues in China regarding marriage, I would need to understand everything from its origins and how it connects to the present moment.
-I really have hard time explaining my ideas right away when I instantly get them through words. At first I thought I have a deficit or something and it has really affected my self confidence and prevented me from sharing my thoughts freely due to fear of being perceived as dumb. I need to think my ideas through first. I have hard time describing and finding the right words for my thoughts. When I try to explain something especially something that I am not completely sure about yet, I tend to experience long pauses just to try to shape my thoughts into speakable terms... This sometimes frustrates my listeners as they would be like "why don't you just spit it out"
In my head, many new ideas develop like growing bacterias ...not sure if this is a good analogy? Sorry English isn't my first language. Ideas flash really fast that my mouth couldn't keep up with the speed. And because of that I tend to forget what I wanted to say after finishing expressing my first thoughts first.

- I am a perfectionist and always strive for high quality and the works has to be exactly as I imagined it which can be frustrating at times when things doesn't go as I thought.

- I am very intuitive with other people's feelings. One occasion was when in school we had to form groups of 4. Close to the end of the semester, I have a feeling that the two other girls didn't want to work with me and my friend. When I told this to my friend about what I was feeling she was surprised and didn't see it coming when the other two girls really decided to separate at the end. I was actually surprised she didn't feel what I felt. I thought it was quite obvious because the body language and the vide from these two other girls seem pretty noticeable to me.
- I have a weird fascination towards Disney... not because of the characters, the story nor the machine games...more it is because of the experience , the magical..experience that you feel when you are in it. Is like being in a fantasy world way different from the real one where your dreams can really come true.... sigh~ I want to produce such experiences one day to the world as well therefore I guess that explains why my interests for UX design?

-People will always tell me that I look lost.. or innocent and naive and that I need to be protected. When people talk to me, they would ask if I understood or that if I am listening as I would have a blank face and is because I am processing in my head while listening to them.

hmmm idk what else to say, leave in the comments below questions you would like to ask me for further information to get a clear picture..

Thanks in advance 😁

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sorry I can't help you with your typing (I'm a bit new to all this myself- especially the other types). I just wanted to welcome you.

"When I try to explain something especially something that I am not completely sure about yet, I tend to experience long pauses just to try to shape my thoughts into speakable terms... This sometimes frustrates my listeners as they would be like "what don't you just spit it out""

Heh, I'm an INFP, but I have experienced a lot of stuff similarly to you. I also have HSP though.
My husband teases me when I stumble over my words or take too many pauses: "I can tell you're trying to talk." he says. lol

Your English is superb here.

When I was in high school, a fight broke out and one girl tore off the weave of another. Everyone was laughing, but I had to run away because I could feel her embarrassment and I was about to burst into tears. I didn't know either of them.
Likewise, I make people feel either amazed or suspicious by my insights and empathy. (Which is where my own confusion comes in. Is that just the HSP?)

Anyhow, welcome. There's lots of extremely knowledgeable people here. I hope they can shed more light for you.

lil.panda95

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I can't help you with your typing (I'm a bit new to all this myself- especially the other types). I just wanted to welcome you.

"When I try to explain something especially something that I am not completely sure about yet, I tend to experience long pauses just to try to shape my thoughts into speakable terms... This sometimes frustrates my listeners as they would be like "what don't you just spit it out""

Heh, I'm an INFP, but I have experienced a lot of stuff similarly to you. I also have HSP though.
My husband teases me when I stumble over my words or take too many pauses: "I can tell you're trying to talk." he says. lol

Your English is superb here.

When I was in high school, a fight broke out and one girl tore off the weave of another. Everyone was laughing, but I had to run away because I could feel her embarrassment and I was about to burst into tears. I didn't know either of them.
Likewise, I make people feel either amazed or suspicious by my insights and empathy. (Which is where my own confusion comes in. Is that just the HSP?)

Anyhow, welcome. There's lots of extremely knowledgeable people here. I hope they can shed more light for you.

It's alright 😄. Thanks for welcoming I really appreciate it. Yess I stumble a lot as well especially when my brain is kind of slow due to tiredness or simply out of laziness.
I can actually relate with the girl incident! You must be a very empathetic person! You felt her embarrassment because you had to think in her shoes first or did you do right away? That sounds like Fe to me or maybe I am wrong....cognitive functions are still kind of tricky to fully understand..
HSP...you mean highly senstive person?

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't understand how the functions work either lol. Or rather, I do, but then I forget it all and confuse myself until someone reminds me :rofl1:

Sometimes my brain is slow because of something I call "delayed hearing". I can see a persons lips move and I can hear words exit their mouth, but then it takes a while for the information to "click" and I actually understand what was said. I sometimes don't understand jokes until it randomly pops into my head a few days later and I'm like "Oh! I get it now." :rolleyes: :rotfl: It annoys me SO MUCH.

Regarding HSP: exactly :) I didn't learn about it until a couple/few years ago. When I did, though, so many things made a lot of sense.
I used to feel a lot more when I was younger. Isolating myself and doubting my intuition has dulled it somewhat. Now, I sense the emotions but no longer feel them (for the most part).

About to lose power...

**EDIT**
The lights are flickering and I had to hit send before the power died :D
No idea why... there's no storms currently.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
- - - Updated - - -

It's alright 😄. Thanks for welcoming I really appreciate it. Yess I stumble a lot as well especially when my brain is kind of slow due to tiredness or simply out of laziness.
I can actually relate with the girl incident! You must be a very empathetic person! You felt her embarrassment because you had to think in her shoes first or did you do right away? That sounds like Fe to me or maybe I am wrong....cognitive functions are still kind of tricky to fully understand..
HSP...you mean highly senstive person?

Welcome! Actually, empathy is more of a Fi thing because Fi users relate the other persons' experiences to their own. Definitely gets confusing since Fe is more others-oriented. Do you relate to that? That might help :)

lil.panda95

Welcome! Empathy is more of a Fi thing because Fi users relate the other persons' experiences to their own. Gets confusing since Fe is more others-oriented. Do you relate to that? That might help :)

Thanks! Hmmm this is tricky.. for me the way I feel empathy for others ... is something I feel right away. I don't know as I am not fully aware of the how and why of the emotions happen inside me. The moment that I see someone sad it makes me sad because the person is sad...and then I start to wonder what if scenarios of them being alone and lonely dealing with their sadness by their own and due to this scenario in my mind it makes me sad. For example, my dad and I aren't very close, but when I see him in a corner (well not exactly in a corner but whatever scenario that gives a sad vibe) by himself looking a bit sad, I don't have to think inside of his shoes to understand him or in order to feel the emotion. By just looking at his facial expressions and body language it creates in my mind a scenario with a sad emotional music in the background....waaa really hard to explain as my emotions run quite deep and intense inside me.. like I would even start crying about others misfortunes before they even do lol!

For example, my friends and I were shopping out, and then one of my friends received a bad new regarding her grandpa died from a fire accident, my friend was only shocked as she wasn't very close to her grandpa and I after a couple of minutes felt an urge to cry...because I start to imagine about my own parents , about their own possibilities towards death...start to appreciate that my parents are still alive and that I should cherish them more while they are still alive and then felt the urge to call my parents ... why am like this? does anyone of you experienced such a thing? Yeah it might be hard to understand what I am trying to explain as I am quite horrible at explaining my feelings and thought process especially something that I am not quiet aware of. By the way, I do felt sad for her grandpa as well as I thought ...poor man he must had suffered horribly and alone, and I can imagine his fear and helplessness alone in his house while thru excrutiating pain and death. And of course, I do felt bad for my friend and was always with her throughout the whole time but she seemed okay and composed which it felt kind of strange...

Although, I am fully aware of my career and what I want in life now. I love to work on and build my own career over building a family in the future... does this helps in regards of typing me? Hope this all helps Thanks for joining in my thread 😄

lil.panda95

I don't understand how the functions work either lol. Or rather, I do, but then I forget it all and confuse myself until someone reminds me :rofl1:

Sometimes my brain is slow because of something I call "delayed hearing". I can see a persons lips move and I can hear words exit their mouth, but then it takes a while for the information to "click" and I actually understand what was said. I sometimes don't understand jokes until it randomly pops into my head a few days later and I'm like "Oh! I get it now." :rolleyes: :rotfl: It annoys me SO MUCH.

Regarding HSP: exactly :) I didn't learn about it until a couple/few years ago. When I did, though, so many things made a lot of sense.
I used to feel a lot more when I was younger. Isolating myself and doubting my intuition has dulled it somewhat. Now, I sense the emotions but no longer feel them (for the most part).

About to lose power...

**EDIT**
The lights are flickering and I had to hit send before the power died :D
No idea why... there's no storms currently.

Yess exactly, I get all confused even after I thought I finally get them...the struggle 🙄. ohh its called delayed hearning interesting, I also experienced similar to you but I think in my case is attention deficit I guess... I haven't seen a doctor to confirm but I do have the symptoms of it tho.
Oh I see yess HSP can be curse and a blessing in desguise as well. I consider myself as an emotional sponge. When I get into any rooms, I can immediately feel the vibe whether is positive or negative. I am very senstive to people's vibes and it can even affect my own mood.

Oh noo the power, did the power came back immediately? hahaha "light flickering" "No idea why... there's no storms currently." woow, sounds like out of a horror movie....suspicious loll 😱

lil.panda95

I wanted to share a post from reddit as I also post a thread over there for more info hahaha so I want to share the replies from another person and mine for more information for a better typing of myself :

anonymous:

"i also desire to create a world where future generations can live without fear and essentially thrive together as one. this is one of the biggest traits i identify with as an INFJ. improving the world and making it a better place sometimes feels as though it is my purpose. i also believe what you said about promoting kindness instead of anti bullying campaigns and i want to encourage you to continue to share this message. like you i also struggle with sharing my ideas and often need extra time to flesh them out. it always feels as though there are so many thoughts rushing through my mind at once and before i found out i was an INFJ i also thought i had a deficit or some type of disorder. i have learned that us as INFJs are constantly processing so much at once but i believe that is important that we organize and communicate these thoughts and ideas to share with others because of the potential positive affects they may have on the world around us."

My reply:

"omg I love your reply! cuz I understand and relate to everything with what you've said!. YEs, I have always felt like it is my purpose to change the world to a better place!. The thought of just settling up with a mediocre job or a job just for money to survive financially felt so...meaningless..Idk..there is just an urge to improve this world and a desire to see a world full of love than of hatred.
omg I feel so much..normal now hahahah with feeling as if I have a deficit or something. I am slow in processing new information and seeing others understanding things right away makes me feel....kind of stupid and slow but I felt like once I took my time to process things further , my understanding is much more deeper than those who process it faster.
And yessss, I also felt like many thoughts rushing through my mind when I am speaking to someone or thinking...soo annoying hahahah because when I am about to say something, another idea or thought rushes through my mind and I am like....wait this is what exactly I want to say and then another and then another.....sigh~ so sometimes my listeners can't even understand my point due to so many ideas and better ones keep rushing thru.
omg I really liked what you wrote in your last sentences. " is important that we organize and communicate these thoughts and ideas to share with others because of the potential positive affects they may have on the world around us." I've always felt like due to my "inability" to organize my thoughts and express them in an organized way, People will never be able to understand me; therefore, impossible to leave a lasting impact...like as if my ideas were just ignored...but what you said has really inspired me so much! now I understand why."

Hope this helps for some thanks! 😃

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nah, I just call it that because that's what it feels like lol. The closest thing I could find is Auditory processing disorder - Wikipedia.

The lights flickering wasn't scary :D The way I hurriedly typed everything did sound ominous though :rofl1: We have bad electrical wiring, so sometimes the lights will flicker (and then the fuse will blow) if we run too many things on the same circuit. Most of the household were sleeping though, but I guess it could have been a problem with the street or county.

I used to be a sponge and a "chameleon" when I was young. I mirrored the emotions of those around me. As I got older, though, that became less and less of a problem. But HSP is more a nightmare than a blessing. Even though I don't fret or worry about stuff, I take meds for anxiety. But it's really just sensory overload. Chaos is the worst. Without the meds, I fall asleep as if I have narcolepsy- which is exceptionally terrifying when I'm driving a 26 foot long RV, plus pulling a car trailer, through down town Atlanta or across the Hoover Dam.
I constantly "read" my surroundings- I try to discern what other drivers are doing while also scanning the sides of the road for animals (plus the radio and/or conversation); when shopping, I read the other shoppers and employees to gauge their mindsets etc (while taking in bits of music, speech, general store sounds and trying to separate it all out). Ugh.

It's great that you're driven toward a higher cause and I'm glad you've found like minded people to bounce ideas off of.
This site has links to a whole bunch of other tests. If you've not looked into Enneagrams, I highly recommend it (Socionics is great too but gosh it confuses me more than anything lol). Here's one of the ones I love: PSTypes Enneagram Test
And here's another Free Personality Test - 20 Pages About You at Personality Max

You can use those to see the breakdown of your functions, which can be really helpful.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Welcome! Actually, empathy is more of a Fi thing because Fi users relate the other persons' experiences to their own. Definitely gets confusing since Fe is more others-oriented. Do you relate to that? That might help :)

When I google "empathy", I get : "the ability to understand and share the feelings of another". Maybe NiFe users are good at understanding feelings of others, and Fi users good at sharing the feeling of others. Don't think it's exclusive to Fi or Fe when I come to think about it.
[MENTION=38875]lil.panda95[/MENTION] : I would definitely type you as an INFJ based on your OP.

lil.panda95

When I google "empathy", I get : "the ability to understand and share the feelings of another". Maybe NiFe users are good at understanding feelings of others, and Fi users good at sharing the feeling of others. Don't think it's exclusive to Fi or Fe when I come to think about it.

[MENTION=38875]lil.panda95[/MENTION] : I would definitely type you as an INFJ based on your OP.

Yes I agree, I am pretty good at understanding others feelings and thoughts but when it comes to mine...I either need time to ponder or need someone to share with as I need someone to tell me that everything is going to be okay or that what I am feeling is normal. I do get urges to share my worries, or anything that bothers me to feel relaxed and reassured. It feels like a a heavy weight off my shoulders. Expect when I am in a depression where I would rather be left alone.

Thanks [MENTION=4299]meowington[/MENTION] ! 🙏🏻

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Yes I agree, I am pretty good at understanding others feelings and thoughts but when it comes to mine...I either need time to ponder or need someone to share with as I need someone to tell me that everything is going to be okay or that what I am feeling is normal. I do get urges to share my worries, or anything that bothers me to feel relaxed and reassured. It feels like a a heavy weight off my shoulders. Expect when I am in a depression where I would rather be left alone.

Sounds like me. I'm psychic when it comes to other people and basically clueless in terms of what's going on inside of me. Took me a really long time to find inner peace.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see Ni and Fe from the OP.

Tell me about how you relieve stress? Do you do puzzles? Shop? Eat? Party? Get back to nature? Sleep? Get busy with work? Etc.

And how is life for you when really stressed out? Do you lash out at others? Dive into a deep depression and become hyper-self critical? Do spend money frivolously? Engage in risky behavior? Criticize others? Etc.

lil.panda95

OMG Hey guys! ....this may sound omg weird but....I think I am actually an ISFP in an fi/ni loop after listening to personality hack podcast ... Today I felt lost when I read that infjs are really good at using metaphors, analogy and whatnot in their speech..I mean I do use them sometimes as well as my thoughts are pretty much visual and sometimes using analogy helps me get my message across but it itsn't something that I feel comfortable using all the time..?

When I have to think about abstract concepts for too long , I get mentally and physically exhausted and then have the urge to retreat to my little world of senses..the urge to go out in which I usually don't as I am a huge homebody..

From the personality hacker, for example an fe user sees an fi user..idk not in the mood, fe ask to fi whats wrong, fi tells what its feeling to fe and then the fe, instead of continue listening as fi expects, offers somethingto to live up fi mood. Like fe users show their empathy by offering something . Fe users act right away whereas fi rather listen first and then decide what to do next... I feel more related with the fi more. Not sure if you guys can understand what I mean.
Another thing is that I tend to judge fe users as suspicious like I wonder why are they so super nice and friendly...as if they have some sort of ulterior motives...I can get uncomfortable as well around them as I sense inauthenticity. I want them to show their real self to me!

I do have the "I am going to be me no matter what society tells me to do" kind of a thing. My mom used to tell me to dress up certan kind because she thinks every girls are doing and I was like "ahh....hell na, I am me, why should I copy or follow what everyone's doing, that's so boring and restrained"

And regarding the fi/ni loop ...I believe it happened when I went thru deppression. my friend have called me paranoid once. I do still get paranoid tendencies.. and easily suspicious of anyone's intention if I sense there is something out of place... oh boy.. so I've been mistyped LOL although its so weird because I relate to infj wanting to save the humanity description to a tee 😭

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OMG Hey guys! ....this may sound omg weird but....I think I am actually an ISFP in an fi/ni loop after listening to personality hack podcast ... Today I felt lost when I read that infjs are really good at using metaphors, analogy and whatnot in their speech..I mean I do use them sometimes as well as my thoughts are pretty much visual and sometimes using analogy helps me get my message across but it itsn't something that I feel comfortable using all the time..?

When I have to think about abstract concepts for too long , I get mentally and physically exhausted and then have the urge to retreat to my little world of senses..the urge to go out in which I usually don't as I am a huge homebody..

From the personality hacker, for example an fe user sees an fi user..idk not in the mood, fe ask to fi whats wrong, fi tells what its feeling to fe and then the fe, instead of continue listening as fi expects, offers somethingto to live up fi mood. Like fe users show their empathy by offering something . Fe users act right away whereas fi rather listen first and then decide what to do next... I feel more related with the fi more. Not sure if you guys can understand what I mean.
Another thing is that I tend to judge fe users as suspicious like I wonder why are they so super nice and friendly...as if they have some sort of ulterior motives...I can get uncomfortable as well around them as I sense inauthenticity. I want them to show their real self to me!

I do have the "I am going to be me no matter what society tells me to do" kind of a thing. My mom used to tell me to dress up certan kind because she thinks every girls are doing and I was like "ahh....hell na, I am me, why should I copy or follow what everyone's doing, that's so boring and restrained"

And regarding the fi/ni loop ...I believe it happened when I went thru deppression. my friend have called me paranoid once. I do still get paranoid tendencies.. and easily suspicious of anyone's intention if I sense there is something out of place... oh boy.. so I've been mistyped LOL although its so weird because I relate to infj wanting to save the humanity description to a tee 😭

I am married to a ISFP, for well over 20 years now. I don't believe you are one, for various reasons, but your answers to my other questions may help clarify.

I know a lot about being in mistyping. At 18 I tested as a ISTP on the official MBTI. I did so again a few years later. I misunderstood myself so such a profound amount that I completely mistook myself.

When ISFPs mistype, it is usually very different than a INFJ.

Retreating into sensational activity is not a ISFP relief behavior.

lil.panda95

I see Ni and Fe from the OP.

Tell me about how you relieve stress? Do you do puzzles? Shop? Eat? Party? Get back to nature? Sleep? Get busy with work? Etc.

And how is life for you when really stressed out? Do you lash out at others? Dive into a deep depression and become hyper-self critical? Do spend money frivolously? Engage in risky behavior? Criticize others? Etc.

Hey! 😁

okay, how do I relieve stress...hmm well I guess I will try to distract myself with social media..watching a comedy on netflix? when stress is not too strong. Stress is something that I don't very handle well. When under severe stress, I feel as if my life will forver be hopeless and pessimistic. Have the urge to run away from what is causing it. Also, I tend to overthink alot and feel like I don't have any energy to do the things that I used to like. Simply feeling like hiding away from the world and be in my little cave overthinking and questioining my future and the "who am I". lol I am thinking about like in those cartoons when characters goes sad there's a dark rainy cloud following on top of them wherever they go...that's exatly how I would feel when I am in the verge between stress and depression.

Idk, because it really depends the type of stress as my reactions differ in each type. But what I would normally do is.. or actually feels like my head is blocked. Can't think clearly. Need a moment alone to recharge (introvert?) To clear my mind. Losing the desire or interest to explore my senses? maybe sorry I am usually not very self aware. But what I do recall is the need to isolate myself from others. Cutting off all interactions to be alone comtemplating my existense. I guess this is the fi/ni loop in ISFPs right?

Basically doing nothing and dissapear from the world and ...moody, feeling out of control, impatient, withdraw myself.

And also if the stress was about career, I use this as an incentive to find solutions.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey! 😁

okay, how do I relieve stress...hmm well I guess I will try to distract myself with social media..watching a comedy on netflix? when stress is not to strong. Stress is something that I don't very handle well. When under severe stress, I feel as if my life will forver be hopeless and pessimistic. Have the urge to run away from what is causing the stress. Also, I tend to overthink alot and feel like I don't have any energy to do the things that I used to like. Simply feeling like hiding away from the world and be in my little cave overthinking and questioining my future and the "who am I". lol I am thinking about like in those cartoons when characters goes sad there's a dark rainy cloud following on top of them wherever they go...that's exatly how I would feel when I am in the verge of stress and depression.

Here is a thread you might want to read: The abyss of inferior Ti

Read through it and see if it fits.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7

I still think you sound like an INFJ imho. Suspicious about other peoples' motives : CHECK !
Also, don't overanalyze loops etc. But overanalyzing in general : CHECK ! The typical "loop" for INFJs is Ni-Ti. Picking up patterns (especially emotions or motives in others or in certain situations) and then overthinking them.
I do a lot of effort to steer away from that tendency : keep going with work, playing guitar, running, etc.