• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Confused about type: ISTJ or ENFP?

elliek

Hi,

I rarely ever post on forums and instead just pore over previous threads but I find myself more confused than ever, so I've created an account here in hopes that someone will be able to steer me in the right direction.

In the grand scheme of things, I realize that MBTI types aren't that important, but while I recognize that no one will fit a type 100%, I would like to be able to properly identify myself so that I can have a guideline as to my true strengths and an idea of where I can properly invest my energies.

ISTJ and ENFP, while sharing cognitive functions (albeit in a different order), do not express themselves similarly so how could I confuse the two?
For the record, I usually test as ENFP but after reading about grip stress and various other things, I am starting to feel less like one...or, maybe that I have always been an 'unhealthy ENFP'.

The reasons I feel that I may be an ISTJ:
- Preference for step by step guidelines instead of vague instructions
- Plans over spur-of-the-moment spontaneity
- Dislike flakiness
- When I cook, I need to follow the recipe exactly as stated. When I drive, I need to know which exits I'll take and when (like to be prepared).
- I have difficulty improvising. If called on without a prepared answer, it's hard for me to come up with something.
- Aware of my surroundings. I am highly aware of stimuli and sensory things around me like a phone ringing (this is more Se I guess but I am not a thrill-seeker and generally do not like risk-taking).
- Dislike interruptions/changes when I'm focused on a task or have completed a task
- Too much sensory overload (i.e. noise, crowds, chaos) is very stressful for me and makes me tense
- Regularly retreat into my imagination with music or whatever thing I'm interested in at present.
- Care about others but feel awkward/not good at consoling them. Will tend to problem-solve instead of empathize - or, I empathize strongly but do not exhibit this very well.

Why ENFP?
- Friendly and my communication seems more random/excitable/animated when I'm comfortable.
- I like to express myself through my style.
- Am quite emotional and sentimental but do not prefer to show it to others (i.e. will cry in private)
- Always have a million ideas and things that I wish to pursue and have a difficult time harnessing my interests/formulating a plan. Or, I can create a plan but have difficulty sticking with it/following through.
- Always think aloud and talk to myself.

Hopefully someone can help me clear things up.

Thanks!

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
NP are not the one who preserve the laws but the one who destroy them.
There is no laws for dom Ne. Everything is possible. Everything is accessible.

dom Ne and dom Te are the greatest risk takers.

elliek

Thanks for your reply! Do you see anything from my description above that would seem more like one or the other? Or perhaps I'm neither?

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been recommending everyone go to Free Personality Test - 20 Pages About You at Personality Max That's been the best test I've found so far.
The local one keeps typing me as ISFP, which isn't me at all lol

I'm not very educated on MBTI, but isn't ISTJ/ENFP shadow types for each other? It could be that you act one way, normally and another moreso when you're over-stressed (if they are shadow types). Or, perhaps, you answered too closely to the "middle ground" (neither a hard yes or no and more "somewhat like me").

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been recommending everyone go to Free Personality Test - 20 Pages About You at Personality Max That's been the best test I've found so far.
The local one keeps typing me as ISFP, which isn't me at all lol

I'm not very educated on MBTI, but isn't ISTJ/ENFP shadow types for each other? It could be that you act one way, normally and another moreso when you're over-stressed (if they are shadow types). Or, perhaps, you answered too closely to the "middle ground" (neither a hard yes or no and more "somewhat like me").

this test suggests I am an INFJ.
I am no INFJ. XD

so the reality is, technically, tests are good minefield starters but ultimately cannot truly decide mbti type. Nevertheless, if you are an ENFP you will relate to ISTJ because of shadow functions. I actually started here typed as an ISTJ before acknowledging I was fairly unhealthy and trying to form a center of control in my life avoiding my naturally spontaneous nature. wahoo! Nawh.

I think the best thing to do is look at it this way:
When is the last time you remember being REALLY GOOD and healthy mentally?
Use these instances to type yourself. If your natural inclination is toward ISTJ things, you are a stressed ISTJ when ENFP. If you are more attracted to ENFP things, you're a stressed ENFP posing as an ISTJ.

Good luck on the adventure of typology.