648 sx/sp

Welcome, BAD1973!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

The more I research, the less I understand about myself. I have been so very mistyped through the years. I have no freakin' clue where I am with MBTI or Socionics. With the Enneagram, it's about what motivates me, so I am the most qualified person to type myself. It's the only one that makes total sense to me, though I did wonder if I identified correctly. I need to take a class.
    Likes Gone liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Welcome!!! Hope you enjoy your stay

Quote Originally Posted by BAD1973 View Post
    The more I research, the less I understand about myself. I have been so very mistyped through the years. I have no freakin' clue where I am with MBTI or Socionics. With the Enneagram, it's about what motivates me, so I am the most qualified person to type myself. It's the only one that makes total sense to me, though I did wonder if I identified correctly. I need to take a class.
    Truer words have never been spoken

I hope you'll find some clarity.

Welcome.
    Likes BAD1973 liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

One of my best friends is a clinical psychologist and when I talk about stuff like this, I always preface it with "not that it matters," because I do realize knowing my type doesn't change anything about who I am. I just want to KNOW!

One of my best friends is a clinical psychologist and when I talk about stuff like this, I always preface it with "not that it matters," because I do realize knowing my type doesn't change anything about who I am. I just want to KNOW!
    True, you seem to be on the right track then. It's really more about learning more about how you perceive the world and make decisions. Never let your type feel like a constraint or impediment. Knowing it should ideally unlock doors of understanding, not leave you feeling placed in a box and insecure.
    Likes BAD1973, Metis liked this post

Artist/Playboy/Traveller Neal Caffreynated's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx

Welcome to the forum! You look very cool - which superhero is your favorite then? I hope you'll have fun here
    Great art captures a time, a place and an emotion.

I'm at my most serious when I'm joking

Don't worry too much about it. There's nothing to say that reality and MBTI match, that people genuinely can be categorised in these ways, and that this theory truly reflects our reality. Sure, a lot of people can relate, but a lot of people also can't, and while ever our understanding of our own thought processes is limited, we can't use it as solid airtight reasoning for supporting a theory. If there's anything I've learnt so far in my Psychology classes, it's that people have many biases in their self perception - and I think confirmation bias possibly has a huge part in MBTI being supported by many. Using MBTI to tell you who you are is probably a mistake, but if you use it in a healthy, critical and distanced way, it might prove to be a useful tool for self reflection, like a trampoline park, bouncing you up with its many theories, which you can use as springboards for your own theories about yourself. I think that comparing yourself to personality models and finding where you fit into them can be useful for self exploration and reflection but I think it's important to remember that it's just a model. A theory/idea.

And even if MBTI does reflect reality, your type is such a small part of who you are that it doesn't really say much about you at all. Two people could be the same type and behave very differently. And there's always room for anomalies and abnormalities, people who developed in ways outside of the norm.

I don't mean to be intrusive but I know that I'd like to have heard those words when I first joined and was in a similar situation that you're in now, so I decided to say my thoughts on the matter, after I've gone through something similar to what you're going through and come out the other side of the tunnel, so to speak.

Welcome to the forum though! I hope you can find MBTI and the other theories useful or fun.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfish1234 View Post
    Don't worry too much about it. There's nothing to say that reality and MBTI match, that people genuinely can be categorised in these ways, and that this theory truly reflects our reality. Sure, a lot of people can relate, but a lot of people also can't, and while ever our understanding of our own thought processes is limited, we can't use it as solid airtight reasoning for supporting a theory. If there's anything I've learnt so far in my Psychology classes, it's that people have many biases in their self perception - and I think confirmation bias possibly has a huge part in MBTI being supported by many. Using MBTI to tell you who you are is probably a mistake, but if you use it in a healthy, critical and distanced way, it might prove to be a useful tool for self reflection, like a trampoline park, bouncing you up with its many theories, which you can use as springboards for your own theories about yourself. I think that comparing yourself to personality models and finding where you fit into them can be useful for self exploration and reflection but I think it's important to remember that it's just a model. A theory/idea. And even if MBTI does reflect reality, your type is such a small part of who you are that it doesn't really say much about you at all. Two people could be the same type and behave very differently. And there's always room for anomalies and abnormalities, people who developed in ways outside of the norm. I don't mean to be intrusive but I know that I'd like to have heard those words when I first joined and was in a similar situation that you're in now, so I decided to say my thoughts on the matter, after I've gone through something similar to what you're going through and come out the other side of the tunnel, so to speak. Welcome to the forum though! I hope you can find MBTI and the other theories useful or fun.
    You aren't being obtrusive at all!!!! This is the kind of interaction I like. As long as comments come from a place of honesty and aren't mean-spirited, I welcome all discussion.
    Likes Jellyfish1234 liked this post