• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted Sensing: Practical or Mysterious?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

Came across this video on another way of viewing Si that I appreciate. Much of what I know of my own Si can be described in this video.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think yeah, she really tries to find the *true* nature of Introverted Sensing, many people get thrown off by the word "sensing" and automatically think - practical which is totally not the point of a perception function. I like how she named it Impressions, really gives Si to be more of a dreamy quality. So many people think Ni is the ultimate "dreamy" function.. I would in fact argue that it's more bare and oddly practical in its own way. (now before you ape shiv)- Ni sees forms and desires those form manifest into reality (Se), so Ni really is a fast function in terms of inner life, you just pick it up from within and try to apply it onto real life or the best way the user may think.

An Ni is more in their head because it's grouping things together. For an INFJ, they're psychologists in a sense seeking to make sense of what goes on.. compare and contrast against external reality, Ni is very focused.. it's not meant to expand.. it's meant to centralize and get to the point of things..

Think of why INFP's are called the "dreamers" and INFJ's the "counselors", what impression do you get from those two nicknames? Which MBTI type has Si? [yes I know which one does, just making a rhetorical point here] :)

Anyway, my point making.. Si is a special function on its own with much derision from the novice populace based on the MBTI's differing perception of it.

Everyone who is reading this, please don't read things based on face value... the human psyche deserves more depth and understanding. Your MBTI type is not simple. Si dominants, you guys rock, remember that.

If you take being called ESFJ or ISFJ as an insult, even if it's not your correct type.. rethink in terms of why the person may think that way, it may be beyond "simple explanations".. and ask questions. Thank you.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Internal sensations form the basis of the belief system of the Introverted Sensor. For most people, seeing is believing. But for the Introverted Sensor, believing is seeing, but not in the normal perceptual sense. At its worst, reality absolutely must conform to the internal perception or else punishment will ensue. This will be punishment against either the self or others. In the latter case it takes the form of projection.

At its best, the Introverted Sensor is a calm, placid type, albeit resistant to change.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@10:43 in the OP video: "It is as if a stone fell deep into water..." I think what is missing from Jung's analysis of the Introverted Sensor is that type's quest for meaning. And when I say "meaning," I'm speaking more profoundly than purpose. The Introverted Sensor will get their meaning from finding a purpose, but that purpose is not the meaning being found which is a more ineffable, indefinite concept. When meaning has been found, the purpose becomes a passion.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Internal sensations form the basis of the belief system of the Introverted Sensor. For most people, seeing is believing. But for the Introverted Sensor, believing is seeing, but not in the normal perceptual sense. At its worst, reality absolutely must conform to the internal perception or else punishment will ensue. This will be punishment against either the self or others. In the latter case it takes the form of projection.

At its best, the Introverted Sensor is a calm, placid type, albeit resistant to change.

I sometimes find it hard to pinpoint function dynamics within the way I think, but I do relate to what you've said here in that "believing is seeing" for the Si user, and it leaves me no doubt that Si is certainly involved in my "Dreamscapes" and inner visuals of emotion and of people.

My fantasies, and even wandering thoughts as I move about the real environment, is always filled with the impossible. I may see some tree growing in front of a high rise, and in my mind, I may stick it on the building's facade, or perhaps suspend it and its roots in the air in slow motion. Nothing really logically makes sense in these wanderings but I never question it either when the thoughts come. It's as if the perceived is as much a "reality" for me as reality itself.

I spoke about this with another member once, but when I think of someone, what they feel like to me, their being, it's very hard for me to put it to words, but instead, I see them as a uniquely tailored scene. An environment with sounds, color, and light. It's nothing clearly defined, and does come across as impressionistic.

What I find interesting in both these cases, where I feel Si has a hand, is that both realms, the imagined/intellectual and the emotional/heart, is given a sort of context, or landscape to root these fascinations visuals in. Even the most abstract of thought needs a touch of reality or groundedness, from which it gains its context and meaning, and to me, Si perhaps, is what provides this for me. Also, it is clear to me that Si works in service of these other directives. It's given the data and Si does what it can to translate it into something a bit more tangible. It's hmm... as if my subconscious is translating its own process in a form I could understand??

I'm really just thinking out loud here as I've not really explored my own use of Si much before, but while I was typing it all out it made sense :D

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think yeah, she really tries to find the *true* nature of Introverted Sensing, many people get thrown off by the word "sensing" and automatically think - practical which is totally not the point of a perception function. I like how she named it Impressions, really gives Si to be more of a dreamy quality. So many people think Ni is the ultimate "dreamy" function.. I would in fact argue that it's more bare and oddly practical in its own way. (now before you ape shiv)- Ni sees forms and desires those form manifest into reality (Se), so Ni really is a fast function in terms of inner life, you just pick it up from within and try to apply it onto real life or the best way the user may think. An Ni is more in their head because it's grouping things together. For an INFJ, they're psychologists in a sense seeking to make sense of what goes on.. compare and contrast against external reality, Ni is very focused.. it's not meant to expand.. it's meant to centralize and get to the point of things.. Think of why INFP's are called the "dreamers" and INFJ's the "counselors", what impression do you get from those two nicknames? Which MBTI type has Si? [yes I know which one does, just making a rhetorical point here] :) Anyway, my point making.. Si is a special function on its own with much derision from the novice populace based on the MBTI's differing perception of it. Everyone who is reading this, please don't read things based on face value... the human psyche deserves more depth and understanding. Your MBTI type is not simple. Si dominants, you guys rock, remember that. If you take being called ESFJ or ISFJ as an insult, even if it's not your correct type.. rethink in terms of why the person may think that way, it may be beyond "simple explanations".. and ask questions. Thank you.

I agree "practical" is not the best of terms to describe either of the sensing functions, though, I suppose I never understood that term to be all that literal to begin with so I never latched onto it like others may. To me, "practical" merely implies that it deals with the environment in an almost factual way, but does not assume one also IS practical, in the more standard use of the word. It's a sort of half-truth for me, to label the sensing functions as "practical", much in the way that "possibilities" is a sort of half-truth to describe Ne. Like, I wouldn't say that possibility for Ne is any sort of objective really, like it's the aim of an Ne user to think towards the future (that's more so Ni to me and you'd probably agree), but rather, "possibility" is the resultant product, and what happens when you remove all boundaries and limitations from the known world around you to form new realities and connections. Ah! Getting sidetracked here :doh:

But yes! I love the term "impressions" to describe Si. As I've mentioned in my reply to [MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION], my quick understanding of my use of Si IS very impressionistic, and really, that would make sense as it's drawing from rather abstract areas such as Ne and Fi. I feel with me, Si gives me the visual, from which I can then translate into words to describe the inner processes at play regarding my intellectual and emotional wanderings. If I think about it, I do actually do that... I am quite literally describing an image I have of my concepts and ideas, and leads me to think why it usually IS so easy for me to describe my inner landscapes, because at that point, I am merely describing what is real, to me, even if that "reality" is not the reality shared by others.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree "practical" is not the best of terms to describe either of the sensing functions, though, I suppose I never understood that term to be all that literal to begin with so I never latched onto it like others may. To me, "practical" merely implies that it deals with the environment in an almost factual way, but does not assume one also IS practical, in the more standard use of the word. It's a sort of half-truth for me, to label the sensing functions as "practical", much in the way that "possibilities" is a sort of half-truth to describe Ne. Like, I wouldn't say that possibility for Ne is any sort of objective really, like it's the aim of an Ne user to think towards the future (that's more so Ni to me and you'd probably agree), but rather, "possibility" is the resultant product, and what happens when you remove all boundaries and limitations from the known world around you to form new realities and connections. Ah! Getting sidetracked here :doh:

But yes! I love the term "impressions" to describe Si. As I've mentioned in my reply to [MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION], my quick understanding of my use of Si IS very impressionistic, and really, that would make sense as it's drawing from rather abstract areas such as Ne and Fi. I feel with me, Si gives me the visual, from which I can then translate into words to describe the inner processes at play regarding my intellectual and emotional wanderings. If I think about it, I do actually do that... I am quite literally describing an image I have of my concepts and ideas, and leads me to think why it usually IS so easy for me to describe my inner landscapes, because at that point, I am merely describing what is real, to me, even if that "reality" is not the reality shared by others.

But I haven't responded to it because there is no Si in anything you write about yourself.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
But I haven't responded to it because there is no Si in anything you write about yourself.
Oh! I'd love to get your feedback on that if you don't mind. It's far too easy for me to eventually find myself in thought "wonderland" if I'm left brainstorming on my own. Trying to pick out Si in my life and how it permeates it is something I can struggle with.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh! I'd love to get your feedback on that if you don't mind. It's far too easy for me to eventually find myself in thought "wonderland" if I'm left brainstorming on my own. Trying to pick out Si in my life and how it permeates it is something I can struggle with.

Fear of boredom. Aversion to sameness. Running away from inner emptiness and into externalities. Hating routine work and chores. Hating monotony and repetition. This "yin" part of you will keep you seeking the "yang" which for you is excitement and stimulation, variety, inspiration.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Fear of boredom. Aversion to sameness. Running away from inner emptiness and into externalities. Hating routine work and chores. Hating monotony and repetition. This "yin" part of you will keep you seeking the "yang" which for you is excitement and stimulation, variety, inspiration.

Hmm, I think I've been going about this the wrong way but yes, it does make sense. All of the mentioned is certainly true for me, but I hadn't though of linking these feelings (anxiety really) to Si. But it does make sense yes, in that, to find the black hole, you must see where the light bends around it rather than the blackhole itself as it isn't something you can see anyways. These "drivers" that I know well, is what constantly motivates me to seek out external stimulation, to explore, etc. The variety of life that brings me enthusiasm is everything that I constantly feel I must move away from. That would also explain then, the importance of learning of these function axes rather than thinking of them solely in a vacuum as you need a reason to seek out the "yang". The yang in itself isn't reason enough to chase it. Fascinating. :happy2:

Thanks Mal! Feel free to correct me btw if I didn't quite get your point.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, I think I've been going about this the wrong way but yes, it does make sense. All of the mentioned is certainly true for me, but I hadn't though of linking these feelings (anxiety really) to Si. But it does make sense yes, in that, to find the black hole, you must see where the light bends around it rather than the blackhole itself as it isn't something you can see anyways. These "drivers" that I know well, is what constantly motivates me to seek out external stimulation, to explore, etc. The variety of life that brings me enthusiasm is everything that I constantly feel I must move away from. That would also explain then, the importance of learning of these function axes rather than thinking of them solely in a vacuum as you need a reason to seek out the "yang". The yang in itself isn't reason enough to chase it. Fascinating. :happy2:

Thanks Mal! Feel free to correct me btw if I didn't quite get your point.

I don't see anything to correct.

It might be fruitful for you to meditate on your experiences with people and consider the axes, the ebb and flow of the yin and yang as these opposites process through their lives.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I think yeah, she really tries to find the *true* nature of Introverted Sensing, many people get thrown off by the word "sensing" and automatically think - practical which is totally not the point of a perception function. I like how she named it Impressions, really gives Si to be more of a dreamy quality. So many people think Ni is the ultimate "dreamy" function.. I would in fact argue that it's more bare and oddly practical in its own way. (now before you ape shiv)- Ni sees forms and desires those form manifest into reality (Se), so Ni really is a fast function in terms of inner life, you just pick it up from within and try to apply it onto real life or the best way the user may think.

An Ni is more in their head because it's grouping things together. For an INFJ, they're psychologists in a sense seeking to make sense of what goes on.. compare and contrast against external reality, Ni is very focused.. it's not meant to expand.. it's meant to centralize and get to the point of things..

Think of why INFP's are called the "dreamers" and INFJ's the "counselors", what impression do you get from those two nicknames? Which MBTI type has Si? [yes I know which one does, just making a rhetorical point here] :)

Anyway, my point making.. Si is a special function on its own with much derision from the novice populace based on the MBTI's differing perception of it.

Everyone who is reading this, please don't read things based on face value... the human psyche deserves more depth and understanding. Your MBTI type is not simple. Si dominants, you guys rock, remember that.

If you take being called ESFJ or ISFJ as an insult, even if it's not your correct type.. rethink in terms of why the person may think that way, it may be beyond "simple explanations".. and ask questions. Thank you.

I skimmed thru the rest of the post and this was the only one I saw that wasn't a waste of my time, to be honest.

Yes. Ni and Si must always viewed as a pole with Se and Ne. Each are inflexible in various areas in their own way. Se inferior would be more inflexible about Se things. My INTJ friends are my fashion compass.

Si can also be dreamy as fuck, especially in an artistic sense. It is ALSO complicated as fuck because it comes with a lot of input that doesn't have to do with the distillation of meaning. Sorting thru that shit via secondary function is like, bruh,

Reducing it to practicality is mundane. It's the secondary function that's at work there when it comes to practicality, the way I see it. And compared to my INTJ ...peers... i'm more ... hmm. sentimental. If Ni strips something down to its bare essence and doesnt see the point, they will toss it away, which is far more no nonsense and far more practical. Si tends to take more time.

Anyway (I'm a typical pisces ;))) when I say Si is dreamy af i mean it, but i'm too lazy to expand without being prompted so w/e) Anyway I dont feel like going too deeply into this stuff coz like thatd' require effort, but this comment was appreciated and a net contribution to the internet, A++ will read again, 10/10

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I sometimes find it hard to pinpoint function dynamics within the way I think, but I do relate to what you've said here in that "believing is seeing" for the Si user, and it leaves me no doubt that Si is certainly involved in my "Dreamscapes" and inner visuals of emotion and of people.

My fantasies, and even wandering thoughts as I move about the real environment, is always filled with the impossible. I may see some tree growing in front of a high rise, and in my mind, I may stick it on the building's facade, or perhaps suspend it and its roots in the air in slow motion. Nothing really logically makes sense in these wanderings but I never question it either when the thoughts come. It's as if the perceived is as much a "reality" for me as reality itself.

I spoke about this with another member once, but when I think of someone, what they feel like to me, their being, it's very hard for me to put it to words, but instead, I see them as a uniquely tailored scene. An environment with sounds, color, and light. It's nothing clearly defined, and does come across as impressionistic.

What I find interesting in both these cases, where I feel Si has a hand, is that both realms, the imagined/intellectual and the emotional/heart, is given a sort of context, or landscape to root these fascinations visuals in. Even the most abstract of thought needs a touch of reality or groundedness, from which it gains its context and meaning, and to me, Si perhaps, is what provides this for me. Also, it is clear to me that Si works in service of these other directives. It's given the data and Si does what it can to translate it into something a bit more tangible. It's hmm... as if my subconscious is translating its own process in a form I could understand??

I'm really just thinking out loud here as I've not really explored my own use of Si much before, but while I was typing it all out it made sense :D

Yes. I feel like what you're describing is more Ne/Si than Si/Ne. Every person has a subjective "sensing" function. Without it they'd be completely disconnected from reality. But put it this way. Thinking of one function on its own is fruitless.

Eg: "Seeing is believing" for high Si user is rubbish. As a Te/Fi user you gotta evaluate what you see too, on moral basis, on logical basis, on legality/feasibility/laws of science or whatever shit.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm curious how Si manifests as the hidden agenda function.

astrotheologian

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you read Psychological Types by Jung, you will see just how abstract Si is. I think he even called Si the cousin of Ni. Both are abstract enough because they're subjective perceptions. Si could get attached to something because of the impression the thing has on it while totally not using the thing for what it's meant to be used for. This is also what makes Si dominants seem stubborn or reluctant to anything new. They don't like threats being made to their inner perceptions of outer objects. (Si/Ne.) I even think Se can work as a problem for Si users because it also has a certain spontaneity about it, (although for the sake of fresh experiences or tending to "real world chores and etc." ..) Both Ne/Se can be spontaneous which seems like a nightmare for Si, even if Si is a sensor like Se.

Speaking of which, I think that Si dominants are the types to complain about clutter in their vicinity instead of Ni users. I find it odd that a lot of INFJs complain about not liking a mess as if it's exclusive to Ni dominants, when it makes more sense to me that Ni dominants would lack the attention to the outer environment in such a way. It's only when they get unhealthy that they may actually engage in cleaning up or mustering up the energy to actually care about their surroundings in such a detailed manner. (Unless they found importantance in having a clean room.. which is more about preference..) It makes more sense that an Si user would be more concerned with unfamiliar "clutter" around them, noise, and etc.

I think a lot of people get Ni/Si mixed up. Ni is, to an extent oblivious to the surroundings, as a rule.. so are more liable to be messy. (Unless the mess is causing them their productivity, INTJ..).. but yeah.. just my two cent.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
What you bring up [MENTION=34999]astrotheologian[/MENTION] about clutter and Si is interesting. I find that clutter around my house typically doesn't bother me, but if I've been stressed over a long period of time and just not feeling myself for too long, then a cluttered house will have this unusual negative affect over my sense of inner peace. At that point, it'll almost literally feel like the outside clutter is a physical manifestation of the enclosing walls and restrictions of my unhealthy mental landscape. For me, my usual mental state is one of flexibility and freedom of thought and perception. It's natural then, that being in an unhealthy state would mean anything that goes against that, and the physical outside world, takes on a larger role for my well being than it typically would.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Si is mysterious as far as its subjectively unique. Its practical as far as its personal desires are satisfied. Its boring as in not expansive as much as it fears not having what it desires. To introverted causes stagnancy as with all other Introverted types.

astrotheologian

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What you bring up [MENTION=34999]astrotheologian[/MENTION] about clutter and Si is interesting. I find that clutter around my house typically doesn't bother me, but if I've been stressed over a long period of time and just not feeling myself for too long, then a cluttered house will have this unusual negative affect over my sense of inner peace. At that point, it'll almost literally feel like the outside clutter is a physical manifestation of the enclosing walls and restrictions of my unhealthy mental landscape. For me, my usual mental state is one of flexibility and freedom of thought and perception. It's natural then, that being in an unhealthy state would mean anything that goes against that, and the physical outside world, takes on a larger role for my well being than it typically would.

A lot of Si doms complain about external clutter clouding their way of thinking... So, what you said makes sense.