• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Video: ENFP Career Pain

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

ENFP from Germany talks about what it's like coming from the ISTJ culture in Germany and how his career has evolved to take better advantage of his natural inclinations and talents

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It can be a pain.. VERY ISTJ oriented fields I've been in, and very odd mix of Fe-dominated field + J core elements in nursing.

I've combated the issues throughout my careers thusly:
- First, I view work as a conduit. It has to meet my needs.. I've worked jobs people would consider bad, bad pay long hours, etc... but they worked for me at the time. They were easy, only a couple days a week, I could do other things during them. It doesn't make sense for me to stay anywhere that isn't fulfilling my needs. I think my 8 helps with this a lot, but anyone can just make a subjective list of things they really need from their current work. For me, I needed challenges, new experiences in different fields, and something that would always look good for launching forward with.
- I've never stopped looking for better jobs. A lot of people get comfortable, and don't like the transitions.. but change is best. It didn't matter the next job had nothing to do with the last... I went from frozen yogurt manager to front desk at a spa, to auto body assistant.. :shrug: I didn't care what it was, as long as it fit my needs. My wide variety has helped my resume more than anything.

... And, finally, I am planning an early retirement. I am making my money work for me, because the very harsh and real reality is: no job I ever work will make me truly happy. The things that make me happy involve usually not getting paid... helping others, projects, traveling.. these are not typical things people get paid to do. The reality is, feeling like a slave to 'the system' and all that jazz is still ingrained in me. So.. I'm kicking its tail by retiring early. I'll put in enough for social security, but I'm not even banking on that much being available by the time I'm 67.. I can't. There's no reason to think it'll be there, it's almost bankrupt now. So, I'm making my own way, and then I'll say fuck off to the whole system: buying new shit, convenience shit, working just to give your money to other people, all of it.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Oh, I've suffered this thing in person, and vicariously through my ENFP brother. I've always been in the artsy path. However, my brother thought of becoming chef, musician, economist, actor, lawyer, architect, civil engineer, biologist, physicist (and about three or four more I can't even remember) in less than six months. He's so talented in every field that he couldn't even cross out ideas according to skills. When he asked me what he should study, I told him "something that gives you money and it requires little time, so you can do other activities during the day". He can't spend sitting on a chair more than 2 hours without feeling he's being held hostage, so variety is important to him, as well as to other ENFPs, I suppose. He hasn't chosen career yet, so I don't know what's going to be of him.

Anyway, there's plenty of time to study tons of careers, so it's just a matter of deciding which one he should start with!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It can be a pain.. VERY ISTJ oriented fields I've been in, and very odd mix of Fe-dominated field + J core elements in nursing.

I've combated the issues throughout my careers thusly:
- First, I view work as a conduit. It has to meet my needs.. I've worked jobs people would consider bad, bad pay long hours, etc... but they worked for me at the time. They were easy, only a couple days a week, I could do other things during them. It doesn't make sense for me to stay anywhere that isn't fulfilling my needs. I think my 8 helps with this a lot, but anyone can just make a subjective list of things they really need from their current work. For me, I needed challenges, new experiences in different fields, and something that would always look good for launching forward with.
- I've never stopped looking for better jobs. A lot of people get comfortable, and don't like the transitions.. but change is best. It didn't matter the next job had nothing to do with the last... I went from frozen yogurt manager to front desk at a spa, to auto body assistant.. :shrug: I didn't care what it was, as long as it fit my needs. My wide variety has helped my resume more than anything.

... And, finally, I am planning an early retirement. I am making my money work for me, because the very harsh and real reality is: no job I ever work will make me truly happy. The things that make me happy involve usually not getting paid... helping others, projects, traveling.. these are not typical things people get paid to do. The reality is, feeling like a slave to 'the system' and all that jazz is still ingrained in me. So.. I'm kicking its tail by retiring early. I'll put in enough for social security, but I'm not even banking on that much being available by the time I'm 67.. I can't. There's no reason to think it'll be there, it's almost bankrupt now. So, I'm making my own way, and then I'll say fuck off to the whole system: buying new shit, convenience shit, working just to give your money to other people, all of it.

The only things I want is good food, a calm mind, plenty of relaxation, and to just be...

If I stick with teaching 30 years, I can retire early. Not sure how good I'll be at it, but so long as I am not fired from it, that's good enough. I'm nothing like my perfectionist, high-strung, religious mother. So long as I get my peace and quiet and not a whole lot of interruptions from doing nothing, I'm content. I've flirted with learning cooking since I love eating and I never learned growing up, and though I can cook a little bit when 6 months ago I couldn't cook at all, I'm still not great at it. For me at least, even if I like something, turning it into a job usually ruins it. I'm going to force myself through this teaching program though since it is better than what I do now, its better than having no income, and I get at least a little time off in the summer. Weekends off are only true once a few years pass and you start recycling ideas.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The only things I want is good food, a calm mind, plenty of relaxation, and to just be...

If I stick with teaching 30 years, I can retire early. Not sure how good I'll be at it, but so long as I am not fired from it, that's good enough. I'm nothing like my perfectionist, high-strung, religious mother. So long as I get my peace and quiet and not a whole lot of interruptions from doing nothing, I'm content. I've flirted with learning cooking since I love eating and I never learned growing up, and though I can cook a little bit when 6 months ago I couldn't cook at all, I'm still not great at it. For me at least, even if I like something, turning it into a job usually ruins it. I'm going to force myself through this teaching program though since it is better than what I do now, its better than having no income, and I get at least a little time off in the summer. Weekends off are only true once a few years pass and you start recycling ideas.

If you ever want practical learning-to-cook-for-people-who-cant-cook lessons hit me up. ;) Teaching isn't such a bad gig, I feel like I'll fall into that when I retire for the fun of it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you ever want practical learning-to-cook-for-people-who-cant-cook lessons hit me up. ;) Teaching isn't such a bad gig, I feel like I'll fall into that when I retire for the fun of it.

I'll PM you. I'm currently putting off an open book quiz due Sunday. I'm a little pissed with myself I overlooked 4 10-point discussion forums the past 4 weeks on this other online class I'm taking. Now, even with good grades in everything else in that class, I'll make a 77. I normally breeze through face-to-face classes with perfect scores in everything, but these online courses are challenging me for organizational reasons. Once I figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, I make good grades, though. I just accepted that a C won't hurt me since except for an F when my grandmother passed away and I missed an online final because I was grieving, I've mde straight A's. I have made a note to avoid online classes, though. Everything is harder for me when I'm not interacting with people. Talking face to face with people is how I learn quickest and stay on top of what I'm supposed to do. I still don't get why online is more expensive...classroom setting is so much better. What has already happened has already happened, though.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'll PM you. I'm currently putting off an open book quiz due Sunday. I'm a little pissed with myself I overlooked 4 10-point discussion forums the past 4 weeks on this other online class I'm taking. Now, even with good grades in everything else in that class, I'll make a 77. I normally breeze through face-to-face classes with perfect scores in everything, but these online courses are challenging me for organizational reasons. Once I figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, I make good grades, though. I just accepted that a C won't hurt me since except for an F when my grandmother passed away and I missed an online final because I was grieving, I've mde straight A's. I have made a note to avoid online classes, though. Everything is harder for me when I'm not interacting with people. Talking face to face with people is how I learn quickest and stay on top of what I'm supposed to do. I still don't get why online is more expensive...classroom setting is so much better. What has already happened has already happened, though.

Sure... I think hybrid classes are awesome, keep an eye out for those. Face -to- face, but not nearly as often and the ability to do from home on the not-so-important stuff.