• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP vs. ISFP

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
  • Description of the differences between INFPs and ISFPs

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could relate to several elements, the like/dislike being noticeable, the strong willpower, the taking the world as-is and not living in a fantasy world, taking what I like/value in the real world and applying to myself in own way.

Re 'not understanding potential', I am not sure the presenter really understands the reasons for this; it's not 'not understanding' the potential, it's the not finding it necessarily applicable to the here and now / my actual motivations and how I operate. Also I'm not interested really in what potential other people see in me - I want to discover and unwind my own potential, and learn that for myself. I don't want to be told what I should be aiming for, iow -- that's part of my own self discovery. (Or, it might be akin to this sort of internal reaction: 'Well that's nice and interesting that YOU think I have X potential, but I am not focusing on that at the moment, and it's not of primary importance to me right this instant. And, I may decide to go down a different avenue than that.' It also brings to mind my upbringing, of how 'intelligent and smart and good at math and science' I was, and was encouraged to go that route because of my 'potential', but simultaneously from another direction I had 'so much potential at the piano'; meanwhile I was trying to find my OWN voice amid these adults telling me the potentials they saw in me, and getting lost for a handful of years in the process)

I thought the video was decent, but, I think it's important to note she is 100% socionics influenced, and socionics has some fairly hard lines in terms of what types 'can' and 'cannot' do and do and don't do (and there are some differences in how socionics views the functions vs mbti). i.e. she mentioned, 'Fi doms won't notice the atmosphere around them, they probably won't notice someone laughing'. Well that's b.s. imo. :) There were a few other elements like that that just seemed kind of extreme and not universal.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
A self-aggrandizing INFJ talking about Fi dominance ... :rolleyes:

I will refrain from commenting on that, but note my usual repulsion to her way of describing the functional composition of my type, which btw, means that she's simplistic and incorrect on a number of levels, yet sees herself as accurate and an authority.

Also, she likes watching herself.

Permabanned

I will refrain from commenting on that, but note my usual repulsion to her way of describing the functional composition of my type, which btw, means that she's simplistic and incorrect on a number of levels, yet sees herself as accurate and an authority.

x10^10.

I imagine it takes some of that cray cray to sit in those shoes

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What parts specifically did you find flat out wrong?

Like I said, I could relate to several of the key bullet points, but a lot of the details seemed really stereotyping (like the one I mentioned, and then I also thought her viewing INFP's as strictly fairy-tale land-ish and not wanting to bridge to reality seemed very extreme, since I know of more than one that are quite functional in the real world / making things happen :) ). (overall the video gave me a bit of a horoscope feel; like, I could relate to some, but not all....)

I tbh am blaming most of it on socionics, which tends to get like that in their views of the types, and specifically equating Fi to more of an actual emotional response vs cognition, but interested in your thoughts. :)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
x10^10.

I imagine it takes some of that cray cray to sit in those shoes

It takes someone with the functional composition to believe themselves an authority and pretentiously present themselves as such, yes. My favorite parts of the video are her adjusting her sweater to make sure it falls just so, smoothly and evenly showing the bra strap. And making sure her hands are very visible, because she likes the movement of her own hands too, watching her nails as she's recording.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It takes someone with the functional composition to believe themselves an authority and pretentiously present themselves as such, yes. My favorite parts of the video are her adjusting her sweater to make sure it falls just so, smoothly and evenly showing the bra strap. And making sure her hands are very visible, because she likes the movement of her own hands too, watching her nails as she's recording.

It's probably good that I was only listening to the video and not watching it, while doing stuff in other windows! :laugh:

Permabanned

I was thinking if that fixation could be the enneagram influence, as she self-types as 4w3, but then it also dawn on me her body language & facial expression is NOT befitting of INFJ at all, I'd prolly peg her as a P tbh.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It's probably good that I was only listening to the video and not watching it, while doing stuff in other windows! :laugh:

I'm admittedly being a bit sour ... there were naturally a few things that rang more true. My overall impression is not entirely negative.

But I'd rather focus on her than the information atm. She's more interesting.

I did like the distinction between potential and finding potential.

I'm pretty sure ISFPs don't live for Ni though.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm admittedly being a bit sour ... there were naturally a few things that rang more true. My overall impression is not entirely negative.

But I'd rather focus on her than the information atm. She's more interesting.

I did like the distinction between potential and finding potential.

I'm pretty sure ISFPs don't live for Ni though.

haha re discussing her. :laugh:

The Ni comment did strike me as odd.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I was thinking if that fixation could be the enneagram influence, as she self-types as 4w3, but then it also dawn on me her body language & facial expression is NOT befitting of INFJ at all, I'd prolly peg her as a P tbh.

Well, she is an Ni dom, it's in the eyes you know. ;) I feel sure she is though.

But the fixation on the presentation of image ... wanting to appear a certain way and be perceived that way, very false to her interior reality.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Annnd in before anyone feels like I'm globally picking on INFJ as a type in entirety. I'm not. I'm picking apart an individual person, one who presents herself as an authority yet does not possess the credential to do so.

There is a pattern and trend however I've noted is that many times the people who I feel least capable of talking as an authority about Fi are INFJs. And it rings so false because there are some, not all, but some, who see themselves as being quite the authority.

eta: :unicorn: because you know, INFPs are all about :unicorn:.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Poorly done. There is too much wrong here to even bother breaking it down. But socionics is :shock: to me.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I liked it!

lol thank you. Well, if it helps anyone or creates a decent discussion...

Basically, I said that the information that INFJs share isn't necessarily correct.
But what is "correct" is that INFJs like the feeling of having mastered a domain of life.
So that's what you're seeing in this video ... the content is not actual truths about INFPs/ISFPs
It appears haughty; there is no denying that...

It's just that I am still unsure about why INFJs want to feel as if they have mastered a particular domain of life.