• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Video: INFP vs. INFJ: Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ ENFPs mistake themselves for introverts in the layman's sense all the time. Lots of people are shy and sensitive as teenagers.
The part that is not bolded is more telling - he wanted to "protect the others". Championing again, parenting with Fi. INFPs parent with Ne.

I wouldn't disagree that he could be an ambivert in terms of the general idea of I/E, but I think he has more of a Ne ego than a Fi ego. It's not merely a matter of being outgoing nor expressing , but the role of the function in the psychology of the person (yes I'm referring to the Beebe model, but almost all MBTI models which build on Jung note these dynamics, whatever they happen to call it). The parent function is one we not only teach with but "preach" as a solution to others, which is why INFPs are more annoyed by people who won't see alternative viewpoints and ENFPs by people whom they see as bullies or oppressing individuals. This is kind of a projection of what brings a balance to our own ego (the auxiliary is a complementary force & is experienced as very positive).

Yes, each type can show some of both traits, but what is the person characterized by? I see this guy characterized more by Ne with parenting Fi.

Also can anyone think of one famous INFP male he even remotely compares to in his demeanor or expression? I cannot...

Robin Williams is not a great example of a balanced ENFP either. What are some other male ENFPs?

Starry

I wasn't replying to you. I was responding to lulabelle's assertion that Garfield was "too consistently energetic and animated to be an INFP."

As long as you're back, though... :alttongue:

What do you make of Garfield's characterization of himself as "shy" and "introverted" in that People article?

Repeated for ease of reference:

I am an Ne dom...that everyone considered introverted growing up...and I come from a family of personality theorists. My Mom used to introduce me as one of her "introverted children" and my INFJ sister as one of her "extroverted."

edit: this was merely informational and I don't expect a response. If you do respond however please don't use :alttongue:

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
If you do respond however please don't use :alttongue:

Which one of your functions would you say is attempting to crimp my Fi authenticity?

PS: I wanted to add a you-know-what at the end of that question, but I refrained, just for you.

Starry

Which one of your functions would you say is attempting to crimp my Fi authenticity?

PS: I wanted to add a you-know-what at the end of that question, but I refrained, just for you.

haha. I was requesting accommodation. I honestly believed at the time that my creeped-outness of that emoticon surpassed your need to express yourself using it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I take (almost) everything back. I think he may be Fe-dom, which blows that video to bits as it should be blown. NF associated ideals are so trendy that a lot of stuff he says is spouted by many non-NFs nowadays (MBTI paints SJs as stuck in the 1950s or something). ENFJ is plausible, although ENFP is still on the table. Extroversion is the most obvious thing about him to me.

The main thing is that the video is stupid and wrong. :harhar:

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
^ I realize Fe is one of your shadow functions, but Starry would appreciate it if you'd refrain from posting smileys with tongues.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I certainly wasn't trying to oversimplify or dismiss what you're saying, OA. I only meant to offer an alternative reading for the same traits. I'm not sure what I his type is. I'd probably have to rewatch the video to get a stronger sense of him, which I can't for a few days until my internet account switches on to the next month.

I think NFPs (if he is one) can be so tricky to distinguish unless they're extreme introverts or extreme extroverts.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I feel like the video is wrong as well but I've no interest in dissecting it. I'll just lean on the old chestnut, "Behaviour does not predicate type."