• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Video: Introverted Thinking vs Extraverted Thinking (Ti vs Te)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
  • An MBTI personality type video which compares and contrasts two Jungian cognitive functions: Introverted Thinking (Ti) and Extroverted Thinking (Te). I also talk about the appearances of each and how to spot them in real life.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you agree with the description of extraverted vs. introverted thinking in that video? My perceptions of the two are as follows:

Extraverted Thinking
- Focused on outcomes - typically end results and objective reality; e.g., does it work or doesn't it?
- Asks is it logical? Does this thing make sense?
- Uses measures to evaluate results - numbers, criteria, benchmarks, etc.
- Brings facts in order to provide clarity
- Deciding either/or - i.e. asks a question and expects a yes or no answer
- As it is an external process, it tends to come across visibly and directly
- Tends to focus on organizing, structuring or segmenting into parts - such as the development of sequential steps to complete an activity
- Can come across as blunt and binary by those who don't prefer the process

Introverted Thinking

- Uses a framework or set of principles and seeks internal consistency between the framework and decisions
- Seeks clarity and precision. Asks is the thinking right?
- More analytical and deep application of logic than extraverted thinking
- As it is an internal process, it is often not as visible
- Tends to be more process focused than outcomes focused
- Seeks elegance and simplicity of the framework or principles
- Can come across to others as theoretical and hair splitting by those who don't prefer the process

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If anyone can help me refine the above, I'll post it in the Wiki

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If anyone can help me refine the above, I'll post it in the Wiki

I think a big difference between introverted thinking and extroverted thinking is that Extraverted Thinkers seem a lot more sequential in the way they think about things. Introverted thinking is less about sequential plans and more about seeking to understand things, I think.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think a big difference between introverted thinking and extroverted thinking is that Extraverted Thinkers seem a lot more sequential in the way they think about things. Introverted thinking is less about sequential plans and more about seeking to understand things, I think.

I agree with Ti being more focused on a thorough understanding and ensuring all of the details are accounted for and make sense as part of a bigger whole; I think I see Te in contrast as more focused on implementation and applicability/ability to execute - the desired outcome is definitely a driver.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It is interesting that I have a negative reaction to these specific words, "a sequential way of thinking about things". To me that implies linear thinking which doesn't resonate for me at all. Can you elaborate what you mean by this?

I agree with Ti being more focused on a thorough understanding and ensuring all of the details are accounted for and make sense as part of a bigger whole; I think I see Te in contrast as more focused on implementation and applicability/ability to execute - the desired outcome is definitely a driver.

That's an interesting clarification. I agree with the second part.

As to having a thorough understanding and making sense as part of a bigger whole, I think Ni doms do that too. It's all about depth of understanding and the big picture or overall context. Ni doms may not focus on ensuring all the details are accounted for however :) (though they can be very detail oriented).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is interesting that I have a negative reaction to these specific words, "a sequential way of thinking about things". To me that implies linear thinking which doesn't resonate for me at all. Can you elaborate what you mean by this?

I just mean step-by-step and coming up with plans. This is should happen, and then, if we do this, this should happen. It's planning ahead, in a sense. It's not a bad thing; actually, it's very useful.

I'm not big on the planning stuff. I just try and understand things.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just mean step-by-step and coming up with plans. This is should happen, and then, if we do this, this should happen. It's planning ahead, in a sense. It's not a bad thing; actually, it's very useful.

I'm not big on the planning stuff. I just try and understand things.

Yes I agree with that. Plans are a big thing.

Permabanned

Linear Thinking doesn't exclude multiple connections.

As for a specific Ti/Te and also more general discussion and understanding of functions, I think this article does a thorough job: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nality-type-code-post1820206.html#post1820206