• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP Musicians

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Here is what he says about INFP musicians:

• They have strongly held people centric values and this usually shows up very strongly in their music
  • They tend to be more interested in the song and the message than the musicianship
  • The self expression, the meaning and the message is what's most important
  • How things feel to them is really important, which is very subjective and personal; as a result they tend to want creative control and have a hard time delegating to someone else and so they tend to be band leaders or solo artists
  • As a result of Ne - intuiting the connections between things outside of yourself in real time - what feeds this is experimentation, exploration, doing new things and seeing what happens. So, they like novelty and to do things they haven’t done before, in contrast to INFJs who like to iterate and refine things over time; they are likely to be the kind of artist to play a show and not their hits because they want to do things they haven’t done before

Here are examples of INFP musicians:

Bob Dylan
Fiona Apple
Corinne Bailey Rae
Ben Gibbard
Joni Mitchell
Ben Harper
Zack De La Rocha
Heather Nova
John Frusciante
Neil Young
Bob Marley
Roger Hodgson (Supertramp)
Eddie Vedder
Bobby McFerrin
Tracy Chapman
Fred Schneider (B-52′s)
Sarah McLachlan
Elliott Smith
Carlos Santana
Sixto Rodriguez
Ronnie James Dio
Clark Graham

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty convinced that Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Bjök, Ian curtis, James Morrison, Thom Yorke, Jónsi (Sigur Rós) and Amy Winehouse belong to the INFP house.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Franz Schubert is the stereotypical INFP.

Other INFP composers include:
Hector Berlioz
Peter llyich Tchaikovsky
(possibly) Edward Elgar

INFPs are the stereotypical "tortured artist" (present-day emo).

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Franz Schubert is the stereotypical INFP.

Other INFP composers include:
Hector Berlioz
Peter llyich Tchaikovsky
(possibly) Edward Elgar

INFPs are the stereotypical "tortured artist" (present-day emo).

Thanks. I grew up listening to a bit of Berlioz and Schubert, it's interesting to know.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Bob Dylan is definitely an ISFP, I think Joni Mitchell and Neil Young are as well, but I'm less sure of them. Fiona Apple is a great example of an INFP musician though.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
In my experience, forumites who type people like Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell ISFP are pretty often suffering from the influence (directly or indirectly) of Keirsey's biggest mistake.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my experience, forumites who type people like Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell ISFP are pretty often suffering from the influence (directly or indirectly) of Keirsey's biggest mistake.

That was a really excellent post. I think you are right. I think performers are often ISFPs but not so much artists.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bob Dylan is definitely an ISFP.

Yeah, I watched Don't Look Back and No Direction Home recently and nearly all my doubt that he is an ISFP with well-developed Ni has been extinguished. I think he's a highly atypical example of his type though (partially due to being 4w5, which is far more common among INFx's), so I can understand why he's mistyped as INFP or INFJ so often.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ

Nah, I'm just super obsessed with Bob Dylan and he just doesn't strike me as a Ne-user at all. Read his autobio Chronicles, watch documentaries, read what people close to him have to say about him. That dude is no INFP. And any amount of N in his lyrics are much more Ni than Ne.

I don't have time to fully get into this (I'm just on my 15 minute break), but when you read about his attitude towards performance (and make no mistake Bob Dylan identifies strongly with his performing side), it's classic ISFP. Perhaps I should return later and expand.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My 2 cents:
John Lennon - ENTP
Bjork - ISFP
Jim Morrison - ENFP
Thom Yorke - INFJ
Amy Winehouse - ESTP

I think Kate Bush and Tori Amos are INFPs. I could possibly see Michael Stipe as one too, but I'm not sure -- he might be INFJ.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'd love to claim them, but I think Joni Mitchell and Neil Young are INFJs. And if we assume Bob Dylan isn't a ISFP, then I'd say he's probably a INFJ too. All three have a Ni-Se vibe with an intense need to express ideas through storytelling (like a ballad). There's also a sort of 'forcefulness' about them - that quietly fiery J-ness.

INFPs are more about expressing an internal experience: a mood, a mindset, a sensation. It's less linear and story driven and more about evoking a head space. It seems like INFJ musicians really like a beginning, middle and end of some kind, but I think for INFPs that isn't all that important.

Take a look at the differences between this Neil Young song and one by Antony and the Johnsons (Antony Hegarty seeming very much INFP to me):

Powderfinger - Neil Young

Fistful of Love - Antony and the Johnsons

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gordon Gano

I'm thinking ISFP, but seems Fi-dom, yes.

---

Amy Winehouse is pretty obviously an SP, & Jim Morrison seem ISFP also.

Lots of INFPs in the 80s post-punk/ darkwave/new romantic music:

Robert Smith (The Cure)
Morrissey (The Smiths)
Ian McCulloch (Echo & the Bunnymen)
Martin Gore (Depeche Mode) and maybe Dave Gahan also (or ISFP)
Ian Curtis (Joy Divison)

I think those guys are all 4s also.

solaunum

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yes, Kurt Cobain was one of the most obvious INFP musicians to me. From all the interview tapes and such.

Hairy McLairy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
just saw "Searching for Sugarman" and boy did he give me a HUGE INFP vibe! he was like the older version of 2 men I have been in love with, both musicians. It really made me cry for some reason, I have a thing for INFP men I guess:cry::cry::cry:

(mind you I never could stand Morrisey! )