• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ Musicians

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Basically, he says that INFJ musicians:

- Go for profound/deep expression in their music; the meaning and message
- Tend to be very creative
- Aren't very graceful in the physical world; won't be great dancers or dynamic performers
- Are hyperaware of the feelings of others around them and they will try to affect those feelings

Famous ones he says are INFJs are:
RZA (Wu-Tang Clan)
Tori Amos
Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)
Layne Staley (Alice In Chains)
Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)
Mindy Gledhill
Tegan Rain Quin (Tegan and Sara)
Pete Townshend (The Who)
Nikki Sixx (Motley Crue)
Yanni
Jessie Baylin
Marilyn Manson
George Harrison (The Beatles)
Lisa Loeb
Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)
Peter Gabriel
Leonard Cohen
Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
Roland Orzabal (Tears for Fears)
Ali Handal
Kara Shaw
Annie Clark (St. Vincent)

Do you think these things are accurate?

@<a href="https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/7111.html" target="_blank">fidelia</a> @<a href="https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/14857.html" target="_blank">fia</a>

Last edited:

KellBell

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Taylor Swift is an INFJ musician! :) It may not seem like it at first, but I could go on for days about it! So is Gerard Way, the lead singer of My Chemical Romance.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I would say that sounds accurate to me. I am much less interested in performance art than I am in affecting people, whether through creating effective musicians, or by creating an atmosphere, finding points of commonality to connect with an audience or getting across a message or create a shared feeling. That third one is also true. I kind of know my limitations there...

I don't know if it is true of other INFJs, but if it is something I am really passionate about, I think I would prefer to be in charge of the direction things go or make choice about content, even though I don't mind suggestions for execution. However, don't know if something is wrong with me specifically or not, but I find that I am more interested in the effect music can have on people's identity or thinking than I am actually passionate about music itself. I find at the end of the day, I enjoy being alone with my thoughts or talking with someone, even if there is music I could listen to and enjoy. It seems too solitary somehow though, especially with headphones in. I might enjoy sharing the experience with someone, but rarely spend a lot of time listening to music alone, which is really something that I have to work on, especially to be more informed and educated myself.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Trent Reznor = INFP

Some other INFJ musicians include Morrissey, Billy Corgan and Thom Yorke.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
As far as Romantic composers go, I think that Antonín Dvořák was an INFJ, but I'm unconvinced that any others were.

I have posted some of his music around the forum but you can always look it up on YT.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I would say INTJ 4-5-8 sx/sp. He is a legendary control freak. If your performance is not living up to his grandiose vision he will tear you a new one.

Jaguar

Yanni said:
I broke the Greek National Record in freestyle swimming when I was 14 years old. So I was an athlete most of my life. I started swimming when I was 7 years old and all the way until I came to America when I was 18.

INFJs. Record-setting athletes. Who knew?

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tori Amos - xNFP
Trent Reznor - INtJ
Layne Staley - ISFP
Marilyn Manson - xNTP (most people disagree with me on this one)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Artist's name is Charlene soraia if you wanba google her.

She's got a good voice.

Here is an interview

She seems like an ENFP to me.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Roger Waters and George Harrison are not INFJs. Waters is INTJ or possibly INTP. Harrison is ISFP.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[video=youtube;fOgJj2Cbpvw]u

Basically, he says that INFJ musicians:

- Go for profound/deep expression in their music; the meaning and message
- Tend to be very creative
- Aren't very graceful in the physical world; won't be great dancers or dynamic performers
- Are hyperaware of the feelings of others around them and they will try to affect those feelings

Famous ones he says are INFJs are:
Tori Amos
Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)
Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)
Marilyn Manson
George Harrison
Leonard Cohen

Do you think these things are accurate?
These are very accurate and I also base it on their lyrics. Trent Rezner is the epitome of INFJ because of his global abstract perspective combined with describing disconnection from self (which is why he is not a Fi dom)

The rest I don't know well enough, except someone please tell me Yanni isn't INFJ. He feels so vapid to me like the musical version of Fabio.

I would like to see INFJ musicians address the original question with a video response. What do you think, Highlander?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Trent Reznor = INFP

Some other INFJ musicians include Morrissey, Billy Corgan and Thom Yorke.

I feel pretty sure that Thom Yorke is INFP.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Trent Reznor = INFP...
I'd be curious to hear why you think this. I hear him as dead center INFJ because he is a systems thinker and describes becoming detached from self in a way that I don't think Fi-doms experience. INFJs under stress can end up in Ni-Ti loops that are really detached from concrete reality (possibly moreso than any other type). Kinda funny coincidence - I had the opportunity to hear a NIN concert last night for the first time. I went with another INFJ musician friend of mine who also feels a really strong connection to Rezner.

Tom Petty is a perfect example of an INFP musician - very sensitive, personal, gifted songwriter. Jimmy Hendrix and probably Jim Morrison are strong examples of ISFPs because they can combine that inward, intensely personal and philosophical perspective with sensational overwhelm. I think Fi-Se is the epitome of passion and Fi-Ne of personalized philosophy. INFPs can demonstrate a Fi-Si loop that is probably the most intensely personal conception of reality, and so their art is not as concerned with societal systems or outer space. Leave that to the INFJ nuts.

What's funny about INFJ artists is that Ni can make it just as important to understand the nature of the universe as it is to understand self. Mars, a quilt your aunt made you, the color patterns on a fallen leaf can all become of equal importance and meaning because it doesn't matter whether or not these things come from personal experience, but how they relate to the core of one's understanding and intuition one possesses about the nature of reality. INFJs have a lot of dichotomies to reconcile in a way that INFPs do not, and that is another thing I watch for in INFJ artists' expression because they are trying to make personal, internalized sense of the biggest picture possible. Everytime you identify a core concept, you also have to look at the range of possibilities for each concept, so you view this wide spectrum and have to reconcile the extreme end points. Fi and Ti-doms are more likely to dismiss what doesn't fit into their framework - they are more likely to see some things as irrelevant to the system. Ni and Ne don't posses that luxury because they are Perception functions and so have to take in everything whether it makes sense or not. The error for these functions is to see relevance where it doesn't exist, or to arrange concepts in ways that aren't logical. Anyway, I'm probably rambling at this point, but those were just some thoughts on the topic.