• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The MBTI is a Joke

Article Poster

MBTI Type
ROBO

The MBTI is a joke Preface

Find out more about Psyche-type at: Object moved Despite Jung's brilliant research from many years of clinical observation resulting in his "Psychological Types" - and the...
Views:0
icn_star_empty_11x11.gif
icn_star_empty_11x11.gif
icn_star_empty_11x11.gif
icn_star_empty_11x11.gif
icn_star_empty_11x11.gif
0ratings
Time:07:26More inEducation

Last edited by a moderator:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This video is pretty interesting. He says Jung's cognitive functions are a masterpiece. He craps on Kiersey, the MBTI establishment, Socionics, and Enneagram. He says most MBTI practitioners are not well informed.

He's so arrogant though.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh this guy again. He's kind of a tool, although he's probably right in this case.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this supposed to be news?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
This video is pretty interesting. He says Jung's cognitive functions are a masterpiece. He craps on Kiersey, the MBTI establishment, Socionics, and Enneagram. He says most MBTI practitioners are not well informed.

He's so arrogant though.

people who are right surrounded by people who are so wrong tend to be arrogant.
i haven't watched the video yet, but if it contains all the things you're saying it does, then he's right, if arrogant.

mbti is a piece of shit

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
One of the problems of MBTI is that it looks so easy - AT FIRST. It's so easy to think to oneself: "Oh I can do that". What I can say about myself is that the more I get to know about it the less I understand it. I will NEVER consider myself as understanding it until I can match up any human activity with one or more cognitive functions. I know I can't unequivocally do that. I don't mind admitting it. And even when I can do that something else will turn up to kick my complacency in the guts. That's the problem with any academic discipline which appears easy. You simply don't know what you don't know. You don't even know the questions to ask let alone give yourself the right answers. That's basically what the person on the video was saying.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jung happens to be his secondary influence to this guy:

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He says that he seeks to highlight some of the problems with MBTI, but the video boils down to 7 1/2 minutes of "C'mon, guys. C'mon. MBTI sucks." with "also, so do a lot of other assessments" and "pay us instead" tacked on.

So the only apparent problem that he identifies is that it sucks. He could've gone into why it sucks--breaking down that suckitude into components--but doesn't.

Whether MBTI sucks or not, the video's a joke. It's far from illuminating, much less convincing.

renaiziphonts

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
9W1
Instinctual Variant
sx
While much of it is respectable, and logical, there are several grave fallacies which the argument uses as foundation.
Firstly, one of the earliest proofs of it's failures is the unbased assumption that test givers are untrained. A bold statement.
Following this very quickly, he states that people who take the test and "do not understand their types" are proof it is false. This is actually called personal incredulity; the idea that if you don't understand something, it is false. This is a well known logical fallacy.

Now, while this isn't proof he is wrong, I want to note that much of what he said was without factual support, and basically a matter of opinion, such as when he stated that the system had fat cat syndrome, and was really just Jungian functions. There was little he did to support his statements, which is to some degree the focus of an educational video. Whether he was right or wrong, it is to be expected that he give a why just as much as a what.

Honestly, I like live and let live, but what torqued me here was the attacks at the people -kiersey, briggs, etc. -when he should be discussing their works. It just seemed pointed and rude at times, and I hate it when a professional project ends up like that. It's not okay.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Very interesting, [MENTION=21100]Article Poster[/MENTION].

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
The besssssttttt joke!

Butnomoreamusingthanreligioncultsphilosophywarsretailconsumptionrunningonbeliefsbelievinginabeliefthattherearenobeliefsmoneygreedbuyingsellingyoursminehisherstheirsoursoverunderburrowingdownthecoreisdeaditalwayswaswejustdidntknowamazingwhatyouseesometimesandsometimeswhatseesyoutakesnoticeinthestomachofyourchestchurningandburningeatingyouthatsokthoughweallhavethatletskickbackbuysomecoffeedrinksometeaandeatsomefishothernaimalsneverhadawardammitbutthenagaintheycantdefineawarorafeudittakesahumanmindtodefinehorrorinordertofulfilitandwedoloveourfulfillment.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The besssssttttt joke!

Butnomoreamusingthanreligioncultsphilosophywarsretailconsumptionrunningonbeliefsbelievinginabeliefthattherearenobeliefsmoneygreedbuyingsellingyoursminehisherstheirsoursoverunderburrowingdownthecoreisdeaditalwayswaswejustdidntknowamazingwhatyouseesometimesandsometimeswhatseesyoutakesnoticeinthestomachofyourchestchurningandburningeatingyouthatsokthoughweallhavethatletskickbackbuysomecoffeedrinksometeaandeatsomefishothernaimalsneverhadawardammitbutthenagaintheycantdefineawarorafeudittakesahumanmindtodefinehorrorinordertofulfilitandwedoloveourfulfillment.
I'm very surprised that I was actually able to parse this.

Mole

Permabanned
Q: Why not simply ask a psychologist with a doctorate and trained in psychometrics, what they think of mbti?

A: Well, the reason we don't ask is because it would be like asking an astonomer with a doctorate and trained to understand the stars, what they think of astrology?