• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psyche-Type, the MBTI and the so-called "Function Fetish"

Article Poster

MBTI Type
ROBO

Psyche-Type, the MBTI and the so-called "Function Fetish"

Discover the science behind the MBTI; Jung's cognitive functions. Learn Psyche-Type: http://www.interpersonality.com/learnpsyche-type/
Views:192
icn_star_full_11x11.gif
icn_star_full_11x11.gif
icn_star_full_11x11.gif
icn_star_full_11x11.gif
icn_star_empty_11x11.gif
9ratings
Time:06:03More inEducation

New Psych Type Video

Halfway through the video:
a. Cognitive functions exist
b. We can teach you about them through our course.
c. LOLOL witless amateurs who don't know anything about CF

I guess this would be geared more towards absolute novices, which is fair, because I suppose a lot of our traffic is coming from people who are just beginning to discover typology.

I wish these videos didn't have that terrible soothing music playing in the background. Also, the decor of that woman's office is creepily hotel room painting bland. :(

EDIT: Having watched the whole video, there's obviously some kind of background of conflict/drama that fueled this as a response. I wonder what went down.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Halfway through the video:
a. Cognitive functions exist
b. We can teach you about them through our course.
c. LOLOL witless amateurs who don't know anything about CF

I guess this would be geared more towards absolute novices, which is fair, because I suppose a lot of our traffic is coming from people who are just beginning to discover typology.

I wish these videos didn't have that terrible soothing music playing in the background. Also, the decor of that woman's office is creepily hotel room painting bland. :(

EDIT: Having watched the whole video, there's obviously some kind of background of conflict/drama that fueled this as a response. I wonder what went down.

I just posted one of the videos related to the conflict/drama. I do think there is a lot of misinformation out there.

G

garbage

I got the same feeling the moment when she placed "experts" in air quotes. And then, bam, she took the gloves off in the second half of the video.

Another video contains the description "If you're serious about knowing your Real Self, why would you trust anyone but an experienced, knowledgeable professional?"

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
hey, the robot's back. I was wondering where he went. though I still don't like him, I missed him

Another video contains the description "If you're serious about knowing your Real Self, why would you trust anyone but an experienced, knowledgeable professional?"

:laugh:

On the other hand, these people seem reasonable enough to me, even though I'm not really a fan of their video style. I wonder what they make of Vicky Jo Varner ... and vice versa.

G

garbage

:laugh:

On the other hand, these people seem reasonable enough to me, even though I'm not really a fan of their video style. I wonder what they make of Vicky Jo Varner ... and vice versa.
They probably just call each other "experts" using air quotes over and over until their index and middle finger muscles get sore :shrug:

At least, that's how I imagine most people claiming expertise but without a proper level of "put up or shut up."

Hazelstein

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
Our work is totally scientific, theres no studies, but totally scientific man.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The chick in those videos freaks me the fuck out.

I think [MENTION=10984]Azure Flame[/MENTION] should knock some sense into her.

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=19700]Lyedecker[/MENTION], Agreed.

I don't know why, but I have an instinctive negative reaction to her, not even the information she is displaying, just her. She seems like an asshole.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=19700]Lyedecker[/MENTION], Agreed.

I don't know why, but I have an instinctive negative reaction to her, not even the information she is displaying, just her. She seems like an asshole.

I can't describe it..."smug" perhaps....

I normally like to give people the benefit of the doubt but if I met her, or she were counseling me, I would feel compelled to poke through the bullshit facade and make the fucker cry.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

deleted
Cognitive functions exist in-so-much as you can derive them from the four preferences, meaning in-so-much as you can derive correlations from individuals being typed accurately with the four preferences. They don't exist independently as a separate entity, else there would be two different typologies (like in the case of Jung vs MBTI. Two different typologies.) In MBTI cognitive functions come to describe individuals in a deeper way, but in general Ti describes a person who is an xxTP, Te describes a person who is an xxTJ. Ti describes Perceiving + Thinking, open-ended, questioning and analyzing logic, just as Te describes Judging + Thinking, logistics and making and organizing logical decisions. If you can't correlate them with individuals matching the four preferences then it's pointless arguing that CFs are the same typology but just a deeper way of typing. If to you CFs come to different results than the MBTI preferences as they hit at something preferences really miss, then that's argument to say it's a different typology. In reality, to speak of one's tertiary functions in the context of the four preferences is simply a matter of each individual's nature. Plenty of individuals relate equally well to the functions outside of their proposed main four, thus proposing such an order is unnecessary.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Good? Bad? Indifferent?

A bit indifferent? She used various animated shows (like Kung Fu panda) to explain the functions. I barely understood what Ni was even after her course ...and even though I supposedly have it, but I think everything else was pretty basic. I am just not sure if I actually know how real humans use the functions xD

yeghor

@<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=19700" target="_blank">Lyedecker</a>, Agreed.

Cause she's acting in that video....She's in her normal self in the belowgiven one....

What do you think her type is?

Alea_iacta_est

Cause she's acting in that video....She's in her normal self in the belowgiven one....

What do you think her type is?

Alright, so that's what it was, an INTJ attempting to use Fe (for acting purposes). Ironically, when she was using Fe in the other video, I found that much more condescending than this.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
She has a better understanding on functions and typology than most out there and explains it clearly and focuses on important things in typology. Obviously much is left out because this only deals with some fundamentals of typology. I understand that the INTJ attitude that the channel has pisses off many folks, but like it or not, those people know what they are talking about. Personally i find it amusing that so many people reject what they say and call it bullshit because of their own misunderstandings about typology and emotional reactions to their attitude :D

atlascatcher

MBTI Type
NiFe
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I heard "Lack of professional regard for the MBTI" as "YouTube celebrities are hurting our sales" (not that I don't disagree with there being a lot of bad information). That's capitalism for you.

http://www.interpersonality.com/learnpsyche-type/

Either way, her subtle jabs at the various specific YouTubers are hilarious.

Last edited:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She has a better understanding on functions and typology than most out there and explains it clearly and focuses on important things in typology. Obviously much is left out because this only deals with some fundamentals of typology. I understand that the INTJ attitude that the channel has pisses off many folks, but like it or not, those people know what they are talking about. Personally i find it amusing that so many people reject what they say and call it bullshit because of their own misunderstandings about typology and emotional reactions to their attitude :D

I agree completely

I heard "Lack of professional regard for the MBTI" as "YouTube celebrities are hurting our sales" (not that I don't disagree with there being a lot of bad information). That's capitalism for you.

http://www.interpersonality.com/learnpsyche-type/

Either way, her subtle jabs at the various specific YouTubers are hilarious.

The thing is, that is what you are interpreting as meaning behind her words. What if you took what she is saying at face value? What if you were in her/their position as somebody who really knows what they are talking about and you were to observe rampant misinformation being spread. Would it frustrate you?