• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inferior Extraverted Sensing

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Se is a general attitude. It is not the act of absolute perception, which is why it is required to be and can only be paired with functions such as Ti/Te/Fi/Fe. This attitude leads to the things Jung describes, of them perceiving the objective realm abnormally clear. They don't get bogged down in thought, they are always pushing forth. It is why Se has tert/inferior Ni, they still have intuition, in a classical sense - but they refuse to let it clog up their future perceptions.

Are you just making this up? Imma guess yes because none of the functions are "attitudes". They'll promote attitudes and ways of life but by themselves they're designatiors for kinds of cognitive content. Identifying a type as having "Se" uppermost in their cognition indicates where--inside or outside--they'll focus, and on what kind of content. It also makes a claim about what that type will not focus on.

But more than that there's the vital functional element of degree of consciousness. It's one billion times more important than imaginary function stackings or "use of" or "developing my" because cognition doesn't exist without it. It is positively required for consciousness that consciousness be partisan. There must be a relatively impersonal drive toward one kind of perception/judgment because without some such "preference" how does anything come into consciousness? If you're not driven there, how do "you" get there?

No real proof offered. It seems like the conceptual requirement exists anyway. I saw it in a vision.

But whatever. Any kind of built in weakness in one kind of dominant consciousness will be mirrored in every other kind of dominant consciousness. (Or at least that's so if one kind of perception, for instance, is NOT a corruption of another kind.) Which would seem to suggest that cognition itself is a maladaption of some kind.

Maladaption for what? Seeing the face of God?

W

WALMART

Are you just making this up? Imma guess yes because none of the functions are "attitudes".

Perhaps. The extent of the conversaion as been stretched beyond what I consider objective experience. Wanna talk subjectively and interpersonally at this point, will address you ASAP.

W

WALMART

*was really drunk when posted, doesn't even remember posting, still intends to respond*

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah. I'm near my infancy of study. It seems to be a well-thought out system, and the subsequent dogma shows it - some of my primary concerns. Still intriguing, nonetheless. A lot of free information floating about.

The fact that you are so against it as a dogmatic system doesn't suggest Se-Ni preference for you, to be honest. You'd be clearly situated in alpha so your function preferences are in no specific order Ne, Si, Ti, Fe. This aso holds true in Jungian typology and MBTI too based on what I've observed thus far. You don't think like how I think an ISTP would think. There is no Se-Ni cognition. You seem to strongly favor Ne and Fe as your preferred function perspectives, at least as reasoning processes in these posts you've written.
Hm. Perhaps they are more somber about it given they've experienced it before/recently.

I disagree with your concluding assessments. Ni in the dominant position does not mean you utilize intuition well inherently. It means you are intermingled with the aspects of Ni Jung describes at elevated levels. Bad intuition is also not a facet of tertiary/inferior intuition, such as paranoia or what you speak of. I'll touch on it below.

What does it mean to utilize Ni well? To utilize any function perspective is simply the ability to use it in a manner that is not childish and exaggerated. If you read Jung, you will understand that he makes clear on two things: the inferior is always contrasted by the dominant and the inferior can thus never become egoic or differentiated because the reason the inferior is the inferior at all has to do with that it acts as a counter-balance in the psyche. If Ni is conscious, then Se must be unconscious in order to create balance between the two perspectives. He also makes clear on that the dominant perspective is always more advanced than the inferior and this is because we possess conscious control over the dominant function. This is what it means to have a function as one's dominant perspective to begin with, that it is egoic. We have control over its perspective and content and we can direct it as we choose. We cannot with the inferior since Jung also notes that the unconscious acts independently of consciousness.
B is what is described in the video, on the whole. C is what Jung ascribes. They could, but they would no longer be Jungian cognitive functions. They are meaningful from an arena of psycho-therapeutic thought, for identification of patient mentalities and isolating the variables that cause them cognitive distress.

I entirely disagree. Jung is describing all of them and he is describing them at a level where all these perspectives are united. Dominant intuition is the result of both A, B, and C. They are not separate instances. That you think they are honestly belies your own preference towards Ne rather than Se, that I began suspecting when you wrote your example of Se in the posts prior. What you wrote didn't reflect Se.
From a realm of self-identification... I'm starting to believe that was never the purpose of the system upon outset.

Or perhaps the problem is that you aren't understanding the system well enough to fully apply it to yourself, and you lack the insight and awareness of your own internal workings to do so?
It is perhaps an irksome concept, particularly from my idolized point of view, but take this: "His ideal is the actual; in this respect he is considerate."

No, Se is not about possibilities. Se sees things exactly for what things are. It is a red mug. Someone is drinking from the red mug. Se never explores the possibility of the content of the mug, or why someone would drink from the mug, or the purpose of the mug or why it's red. That's intuition. There is no possibility-seek when it comes to Se. You are describing Ne, not Se. The fact that you don't understand what I am describing and why it is Se just further suggests that you are biased towards Ne and you think Ne is Se. Ne sees what things could be, Se sees what things are, Ni sees what things mean, Si sees whatever Si sees. I don't understand Si as a perspective.
Considerate of all possible futures, all possible perceptions, is what he alludes to.

Yeah, and that is how intuition, especially Ne, operates.
Hm. I see it, and will be thinking about it over the coming stretch of time.

It does not capture the push-pull between sensation-intuition, at least not my understanding of intuition-sensation. Se sees what things are, Ni sees what things mean. What you quoted has nothing to do with this dynamic, especially since in order to see what things mean, we must first see what things are and vice versa.
One facet of intuition I am jelly of, the interplay of personal dynamics. I've sat next to someone of interest, thoughts churning, afraid to express them. Textbook repression of intuition.

Why is this textbook example of repressed intuition? If anything, I would say this is an example of Fe, especially with how you express that you actually want to socially interact with these people. Textbook example of repressed intuition is when I write a long post analyzing the symbolic content of fiction, posts it on a forum and I get a "tl;dr I'm thinking too much" response, because they fail to see the symbolic content I am myself noting. They find the perspective irrelevant and meaningless being focused on the as-is content. To them a sword is just a sword rather than all the meanings I see the sword representing. That they refuse to see this meaning is an example of repressed intuition, not whether they feel unable to speak up or not.
This would ruin the pleasurable, sensationalist mind I strive for.

This really seems to be coming from the perspective of Fe, seeking group unity and group harmony. My inferior functions are Se and Fi. Piss me off enough and they will erupt and I will become aggressive and brusque in my manners such as telling people to stfu because they are a fucking pain in the ass and are annoying the hell out of me. The reason why this is Se with Fi inferior eruption is because it has the force of Se behind it, instilling a sense of action in the present moment but done so perhaps from an idealistic perspective especially because it's backed up by somewhat immature and therefore idealistic Fi values, although not as idealistic as genuine inferior Fi. I just want people to do what I want, simply put. It's the childish immaturity if inferior Se because I expect people to follow my sense control and what to do in the physical environment which is close to nil, but in those moments I feel like I have a lot of control. It's only afterwards that I realize how exaggerated, immature and childish my outbursts are.
A nine can use the three ideal for growth, a five can use the two ideal for growth, and etcetera. I am not one to think you are locked into anything regarding the psyche - at least, in a sense that a captain can't steer his ship.

No, you cannot. If you think this is how enneagram works you are severely misunderstanding enneagram. Enneagram is not about something akin to "I decide to integrate now" as if growth is something you can consciously control with your will. Integration occurs as a natural process of self-growth which stems from the realization of the core type's holy idea and connecting to this idea existentially. I have been integrating lately and this is noticeable because I have become very active and working towards achieving a specific image in order to fulfill myself. I have also started to look to plan for my future and actually act on that and I utilize the knowledge I gather and what I know in a practical manner such as what I read bout human physiology and I will bring this up when I see my doctor later this year, because it's relevant in order to minimize the health risks I will experience. It's a good example of 5 moving towards 8 and my 4 wing moving towards 1.

I didn't decide to integrate. What did happen was that I decided what I wanted to do and work towards that. That was a push towards self-fulfillment which resulted in self-growth, and this also meant that I would move in the direction towards integration as a result. Enneagram explains these behaviors. People mistake enneagram for cognitive behavioral therapy or similar when it's not. It doesn't explain how to integrate because that's not the point. It explains what happens when you integrate and it labels your experiences as integration/disintegration.
The irrational functions - Ne, Se, Ni, Si. The rational functions - Te, Fe, Ti and Fi. The former are irrational because they depend upon experience, they will never be perfectly in tune with reality unless you can accumulate one hundred percent of the universe's energy (or something :huh:). The latter are rational because they are worked out from the experience the aforementioned. The irrational functions expand the scope of the mind both good and bad, the latter personally interprets it.

No, that's not how it works at all. Jung notes that all introverted functions actually derive their perspectives a priori, whereas extroverted functions do so a posteriori. What it means to lead with an irrational function is that you simply have no control over the content that you perceive. This is why Jung labels it irrational. You don't sort, you don't categorize, there is no logical process involved. All you do is simply that - perceive reality as filtered through your dominant perspective. Judgement functions do not operate like this. They exist within the realms of logical thought in the sense that both thinking and feeling are about categorization. This is why Jung calls them rational because they are essentially rationalization processes. They help us to make sense of the world by rationalizing it. Perception doesn't work this way. Perception is simply taking in data without trying to make sense of this data.
This is what I have gathered so far, at least - I have much more study to do regarding the subject.

Why do you make incorrect assertions if you haven't studied enough to actually be sure they are correct or not and in line with actual theory?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aww.

Okay, fine. I'll play. Would you care to comment on the difference between "convert" and "reformulate"

Rather irrelevant point to make considering the context. Instead of throwing red herrings, why don't you try to engage seriously with the questions I posed? Regardless, the fundamental difference is that you do not understand what I am actually expressing with this sentence:

I do believe there is input from somewhere and I do not believe that we can experience this input in its purest form because upon experience itself, we will reformulate it to make it fit our minds.

By this I actually mean that we do engage with the pure content but we select which part of the content we choose to engage with. By "experiencing input by purest form" I am referring to the idea that we can consciously experience objects in their totality, the key word being "conscious", and this is what I do not believe is possible. You don't seem to suggest this at all. The way I understand your concept of conversion seems to be based on some kind of Pe logic where A transforms into B, but once it is B, the meaning is structured within the logical structure of B. It is now acting independently of A. I do not believe this is true.

As I already wrote in response to superunknown and how I think his assertions about the A, B, C claims are wrong:

I entirely disagree. Jung is describing all of them and he is describing them at a level where all these perspectives are united. Dominant intuition is the result of both A, B, and C. They are not separate instances.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
By this I actually mean that we do engage with the pure content but we select which part of the content we choose to engage with. By "experiencing input by purest form" I am referring to the idea that we can consciously experience objects in their totality, the key word being "conscious", and this is what I do not believe is possible. You don't seem to suggest this at all. The way I understand your concept of conversion seems to be based on some kind of Pe logic where A transforms into B, but once it is B, the meaning is structured within the logical structure of B. It is now acting independently of A. I do not believe this is true.

Wriggling ain't gonna do it, bro. Whatever's in your head is not what was in the world. You're saying it, and I'm saying it. Nonetheless, there is a very strong BELIEF held by probably all people, but certainly by people relying on extroverted judgment, that the world really is what it really is and you can see what it really is. It's reliable.

Now I forget exactly why we're having this conversation, but how this all related back to REPRESSED extroverted sensing is... dunno, some damn stupid thing about "data"? Oh wait, some claim by me that repressed means converted. Which was trying to be a way of saying, say, where there's some person dealing primarily in introverted intuition, extroverted sensing is not missing. It's not absent in some fashion that somehow doing more Se would fix. It's already present as unconscious content and orientation.

What's missing is Si. But Se... that's present as an unconscious filter in Ni. This makes less sense for "functions" as ideal objects. But talking about people who have their own experiences and chug along processing information--the intuitive structural models they create in their heads assume an Se world. The physical experiences--reading a book, listening to a song, riding a motorcycle, seeing a face--these are stored within the Ni as empty spaces that someone doing Se can fill.

That nifty complaint that the weakness of Ni is lack of Se... it is teh misguiderment.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wriggling ain't gonna do it, bro. Whatever's in your head is not what was in the world. You're saying it, and I'm saying it. Nonetheless, there is a very strong BELIEF held by probably all people, but certainly by people relying on extroverted judgment, that the world really is what it really is and you can see what it really is. It's reliable.
It's not wriggling. It's seeing a different meaning in the words you are not seeing. This alone suggests a preference towards Pe in your ego to me. You aren't seeing the Ni depth of wanting to see the universal source as much as you keep want to split hairs and separate based on external qualities. Hair-splitting I personally find rather meaningless since it misses the point about what cognition is about, in my opinion.
Now I forget exactly why we're having this conversation, but how this all related back to REPRESSED extroverted sensing is... dunno, some damn stupid thing about "data"? Oh wait, some claim by me that repressed means converted. Which was trying to be a way of saying, say, where there's some person dealing primarily in introverted intuition, extroverted sensing is not missing. It's not absent in some fashion that somehow doing more Se would fix. It's already present as unconscious content and orientation.

No, the point I was making was much grander than simply pertaining to sensation or intuition. It's about the very fundamentals how cognition operates.
What's missing is Si. But Se... that's present as an unconscious filter in Ni. This makes less sense for "functions" as ideal objects. But talking about people who have their own experiences and chug along processing information--the intuitive structural models they create in their heads assume an Se world. The physical experiences--reading a book, listening to a song, riding a motorcycle, seeing a face--these are stored within the Ni as empty spaces that someone doing Se can fill.

And herein you show that you don't understand how Ni-Se operate. It is not "emptiness" Se can fill. Se doesn't fill anything. It's just a different kind of apprehension of data, in other words, reinterpretation of data. You could equally argue that Ni is in fact filling Se. Therefore, not conversion, as you keep suggesting. A does not turn into B. A and B are the same. It is simultaneously both Ni and Se data but the focus lies on Ni, not Se. Se is the focus that is repressed. It would in fact be even better to drop the extroverted and introverted attitudes together when speaking of functions this way and just simply talk about intuition, thinking, feeling and sensation. This becomes evident when you start mixing in Si as if it is even relevant to the point when it's not.
That nifty complaint that the weakness of Ni is lack of Se... it is teh misguiderment.

I would assume that's the complaint people who are not genuine Ni types would suggest. The inferior is never a "lack" - it is a repression of perspective.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
It's not wriggling. It's seeing a different meaning in the words you are not seeing. This alone suggests a preference towards Pe in your ego to me.

Yeah well, Se.

Oh, we're you meaning Ne?

How rude!

No, the point I was making was much grander than simply pertaining to sensation or intuition. It's about the very fundamentals how cognition operates.

Was it that part about how we choose? The um.... By this I actually mean that we do engage with the pure content but we select which part of the content we choose to engage with.

So, this fundamentals part, the part where there's still a we that does some choosing... that's the fundamentals?

And herein you show that you don't understand how Ni-Se operate. It is not "emptiness" Se can fill. Se doesn't fill anything.

Inferior Se does. Unless consciousness is fundamentally divorced from the unconscious (no, really, that's a good one to look up, because someone will try saying it is) then consciousness is shaped by what it leaves out.

As mentioned, but I'll add in some bad words because, hey, this conversation got snotty a while back, dumb motherfuckers will tell you the functions are distinct items. They're things we use. And in so speaking, they push cognition back into the mystery world of the "we" that "uses". Functions become tools and "we" sit behind them, magically driving. Meanwhile, thoughtful and likely even handsome gentlemen can take another tack.

"Functions" is another name for qualities of cognition. Actual cognition works on bundles of cognitive items, like memories or experiences or particular feelings or thoughts, or even records and streams of raw data. Aspects of these bundles are more or less appreciated consciously. Other aspects stay on the dark side of the moondle. But they're still there. And they influence what conscious appreciation can do with the illuminated aspects.

In other words, gaps. The structure of Ni conceptual models retain an imprint of the world as being a world of Se, or worse.

How's that for fundamental, eh? There are no functions and consciousness is a veneer. BUT TELL ME MORE ABOUT OUR CHOOSINGS I"M SURE THEY VERY IMPORTANT

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5731]Kalach[/MENTION] your Ni hate is actually rather amusing.
Was it that part about how we choose? The um.... By this I actually mean that we do engage with the pure content but we select which part of the content we choose to engage with.

So, this fundamentals part, the part where there's still a we that does some choosing... that's the fundamentals?

It's not about choice. We never "choose" as in that we actively decided to align our ego a certain way through the use of intention of will. By fundamental I mean that the idea I was applying is not limited to sensation and intuition but to cognitive functions as a whole as psychic processes.

Inferior Se does. Unless consciousness is fundamentally divorced from the unconscious (no, really, that's a good one to look up, because someone will try saying it is) then consciousness is shaped by what it leaves out.

Or perhaps an even better way of understanding it is that consciousness is shaped by what we want to perceive.
As mentioned, but I'll add in some bad words because, hey, this conversation got snotty a while back, dumb motherfuckers will tell you the functions are distinct items. They're things we use. And in so speaking, they push cognition back into the mystery world of the "we" that "uses". Functions become tools and "we" sit behind them, magically driving. Meanwhile, thoughtful and likely even handsome gentlemen can take another tack.

And I honestly see no problem with this perspective per se, because the ego does indeed use the functions as defense mechanisms, and when we cognitively reason, it is apparent that we do so from one or a few perspectives over other perspectives. Thus, we utilize a function perspective over other function perspectives.

"Functions" is another name for qualities of cognition. Actual cognition works on bundles of cognitive items, like memories or experiences or particular feelings or thoughts, or even records and streams of raw data. Aspects of these bundles are more or less appreciated consciously. Other aspects stay on the dark side of the moondle. But they're still there. And they influence what conscious appreciation can do with the illuminated aspects.

Actual cognition? Why separate the functions and their perspectives as unrelated to other forms of cognition? It is evident that functions are a part of human cognition because they play a dominant role in our reasoning processes.
In other words, gaps. The structure of Ni conceptual models retain an imprint of the world as being a world of Se, or worse.

It's still not a "gap" in that kind of sense. The inferior doesn't fill a gap in the dominant perspective. It is the dominant perspective that fills the gap of the inferior. That's why it's dominant and not inferior.

How's that for fundamental, eh? There are no functions and consciousness is a veneer. BUT TELL ME MORE ABOUT OUR CHOOSINGS I"M SURE THEY VERY IMPORTANT

This discussion would be so much more meaningful if you actually understood what I was implying and understood the theory better but you are free to jest and I will simply jest you back.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=5731]Kalach[/MENTION] your Ni hate is actually rather amusing.

Isn't it tho. I'm so cute.

However... there's a quote somewhere from Jung, specifically from his Psychology of the Unconscious, and it'll turn up eventually, but its about how the study of psychology cannot be the study of consciousness. Consciousness is a presentation of personal conceits, few or none of which directly describe the functioning of the mind.

And functions as we know them appear most prominently in the conscious mind. You do the math.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Here we go...

Individuality belongs to those conditional actualities which are greatly overrated theoretically on account of their practical significance. It does not belong to those over-whelmingly clear and therefore universally obtrusive general facts upon which a science must be primarily founded. The individual content of consciousness is, therefore, the most unfavourable object imaginable for psychology, because it has veiled the universally valid until it has become unrecognizable. The essence of consciousness is the process of adaptation which takes place in the most minute details. On the other hand, the unconscious is generally diffused, which not only binds the individuals among themselves to the race, but also unites them backwards with the peoples of the past and their psychology. Thus the unconscious, surpassing the individual in its generality, is, in the first place, the object of a true psychology, which claims not to be psychophysical.

--Jung, Psychology of the Unconscious.​

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Doesn't actually rule out functions, more's the pity. But kinda does suggest it's foolish to think dominant cognition is merely what a person straightforwardly believes or perceives it to be. So what is it? Inferior cognition too--what's that?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
What I think this means is investigating cognition is a matter of discovering relatively impersonal mechanisms behind personal psychology. Functions isn't that mechanism because it's not a mechanism. It's four hoses pouring content on a magical controller. Complexes could be that mechanism, but in accounting for type, complexes still need to have magical function properties. Certain cognitive aspects of individual complexes are always more likely to be promoted into consciousness than other aspects, and why that happens isn't explained.

Nonetheless, complexes make it harder to understand functions as discrete hoses you operate like a tool, ambiguous expression intended. And probably gives more purchase on such arcane questions as what is inferior Se.

W

WhoCares

Oh fuck. She needs a bra on! And she must be an S type with those annoying irrelevant details and over-explaining everything like I'm a fucking moron. I think my inferior Se is working just fine. And he's not boring because he's an INTJ, its because he's a middle aged Australian male. They're all like that....:doh:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Isn't it tho. I'm so cute.

However... there's a quote somewhere from Jung, specifically from his Psychology of the Unconscious, and it'll turn up eventually, but its about how the study of psychology cannot be the study of consciousness. Consciousness is a presentation of personal conceits, few or none of which directly describe the functioning of the mind.

And functions as we know them appear most prominently in the conscious mind. You do the math.

What said that I was ever interested in the study of the consciousness? I was merely offering my point of view of what forms or formulates consciousness which is very much in line with Jung's idea of what consciousness is, in that he defines consciousness as the ability to cognitively intend or wills. Not once did I make any remark regarding how to study the human psyche. I would in fact say it is fallacious to focus too much on one or the other; the proper study of the psyche considers the totality of the psyche including its neuropsychological basis, consciousness, unconsciousness and a plethora of other factors that may or may not play a role in the formation of human psychology.

Therefore, when it comes to the dominant function perspective, what makes it dominant is again that it is situated within consciousness, that is, we are capable of directing or intending this perspective with our wills. When any function is differentiated into consciousness, it thus results in the need for the unconscious content to counter-act this differentiation and balance it out with the completely opposite perspective. Because this perspective is threatening to our dominant ego perspective, we actively choose to repress it. Again, that is a matter of ego intention or direction of will power, and the more we differentiate our dominant perspective the more its opposite function and attitude will be repressed.

But whatever, this is going nowhere as you are clearly not understanding my point of view so I won't continue bothering. All this can be found in Psychological Types, the Tavistock lectures and elsewhere anyway.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I wouldn't say I don't understand your point of view. I suspect it of being uniformative. My one and only reason for thinking so is it sounds like there're people behind your persons. Choices and intentions and directions are acts of a personal consciousness, but where did that personal consciousness come from? From other choices and intentions and directions?

Plus you dismissed the mind/body problem as a non-question. It's the last man standing of all the great philosophical questions.

Your welcome.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't say I don't understand your point of view. I suspect it of being uniformative. My one and only reason for thinking so is it sounds like there're people behind your persons. Choices and intentions and directions are acts of a personal consciousness, but where did that personal consciousness come from? From other choices and intentions and directions?

See, this is the problem. You claim to understand but you actually don't. People behind the reasons? Why must there be such a thing? Reasoning processes have causes, they don't occur out of nowhere. Personal consciousness is a combination of various neurological processes although the process itself is still poorly understood. Which essentially also refutes your second statement:
Plus you dismissed the mind/body problem as a non-question. It's the last man standing of all the great philosophical questions.

It is only an issue if you see it as an issue and if you see mind and body as two separate concepts. I don't, neither did Jung. I see the mind being the cause of body as I'm a monist, not a dualist. The mind-body problem is based on Cartesian dualistic logic but I do not share such a view of the world to begin with as I see everything ultimately having a singular cause. This is how Ni operates. It takes Se data and tries to see how it all ties together.
Your welcome.

Your poor attempts to corner me are quite amusing. The only reason you don't think my point of view is informative is because you do not share my type of cognition and this is why this discussion is going nowhere.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
See, this is the problem. You claim to understand but you actually don't. People behind the reasons? Why must there be such a thing?

Didn't you say there were?

As in:

I would say they are derived from neither. Functions are not unconscious or the creation of the unconscious since Jung makes a very clear case to separate conscious and unconscious content of the mind. Rather, functions are innate abilities of how humans understand the world just like we are genetically capable to see with our eyes. As we grow as human beings, we need to find ways to cope with the world and functions play a role in that functions act as an ego defense mechanism. It helps us to make sense of the world around us and sort out the information that we perceive. To take on a specific function perspective over that of another is thus the result of ego conscious preference since it is a perceived choice that we made, even if are not aware of this choice per se. Awareness is separate from consciousness in this context.

Function as tools, the ego as chooser... no?

Reasoning processes have causes, they don't occur out of nowhere. Personal consciousness is a combination of various neurological processes although the process itself is still poorly understood. Which essentially also refutes your second statement:

It is only an issue if you see it as an issue and if you see mind and body as two separate concepts. I don't, neither did Jung. I see the mind being the cause of body as I'm a monist, not a dualist. The mind-body problem is based on Cartesian dualistic logic but I do not share such a view of the world to begin with as I see everything ultimately having a singular cause.

So, obviously, does everyone else, except religious people who believe in spirits and gods. The problem isn't that the world and people are physical all the way through. It's how one becomes the other. There will, possibly, eventually be a one-to-one mapping of brain events to cognitive events (and that by the way will be one hell of a map since the person will NEVER be able to confirm or deny since a large number of those events will be unconscious, but still perhaps one day there can be a mapping predictable enough that conscious cognition can be seen in the map before it arrives in the mind) but that isn't ever going to mean that the qualitative experience of cognition is described in physical terms. The two are different kinds of terms.

This is how Ni operates. It takes Se data and tries to see how it all ties together.

Oh it does not.

Your poor attempts to corner me are quite amusing. The only reason you don't think my point of view is informative is because you do not share my type of cognition and this is why this discussion is going nowhere.

My poor attempts to corner you have little to do with cornering you. The extent to which all of this is about you is the extent to which you keep announcing the bountiful fullness of my not smartness. You could leave off that and protect your ideas with conceptual development.

Although, given how I've developed ideas in the past, on this very forum no less... yes, you should carry on being a pugnacious twerp. It can work for you too.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Didn't you say there were?

As in:
I would say they are derived from neither. Functions are not unconscious or the creation of the unconscious since Jung makes a very clear case to separate conscious and unconscious content of the mind. Rather, functions are innate abilities of how humans understand the world just like we are genetically capable to see with our eyes. As we grow as human beings, we need to find ways to cope with the world and functions play a role in that functions act as an ego defense mechanism. It helps us to make sense of the world around us and sort out the information that we perceive. To take on a specific function perspective over that of another is thus the result of ego conscious preference since it is a perceived choice that we made, even if are not aware of this choice per se. Awareness is separate from consciousness in this context.

Function as tools, the ego as chooser... no?
No, they are not tools. They are perspectives that we view the world through and they help to define our ego structure since it is through the lens of the dominant that we understand the world.
So, obviously, does everyone else, except religious people who believe in spirits. The problem isn't that the world and people are physical all the way through. It's how one becomes the other. There will, possibly, eventually be a one-to-one mapping of brain events to cognitive events (and that by the way will be one hell of a map since the person will NEVER be able to confirm or deny since a large number of those events will be unconscious, but still perhaps one day there can be a mapping predictable enough that conscious cognition can be seen in the map before it arrives in the mind) but that isn't ever going to mean that the qualitative experience of cognition is described in physical terms. The two are different kinds of terms.

Why must they be different?
Oh it does not.

Oh yes, it does. You don't understand it does because I highly doubt you are an actual INTJ cognitively.
My poor attempts to corner you have little to do with cornering you. The extent to which all of this is about you is the extent to which you keep announcing the bountiful fullness of my not smartness. You could leave off that and protect your ideas with conceptual development.

Perhaps I wouldn't come across that way if you actually attempted to seriously consider what I am trying to convey to you and you fully understood this. I can predict numerous reasons why, and one of them is directly linked to your actual intelligence level, meaning yes, I am smarter than you and it would perhaps do you well to accept this fact so we can move on beyond this trite and simple basic level of discussion. It would help if you stopped to try to outsmart me when it's clear I have a better understanding of Jung and the theory than you do.
Although, given how I've developed ideas in the past, on this very forum no less... yes, you should carry on being a pugnacious twerp. It can work for you too.

Whatever floats your boat. Just because other people on this forum are receptive to your ideas it doesn't mean they are logical, correct or even good interpretations of the original theory. They could for all I know, simply lack the knowledge and understanding in order to scrutinize your ideas properly as I am now.