• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJs in relationships

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found this video to be interesting and pretty much true. Do the INTJs and those who have been in relationships with them agree with these things?

Transcript in spoiler

Last edited:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I just listened to the INFJ one and overall, I'd say it's correct as well. I think though that I would hate being in a relationship with me. Seriously, it would suck!

Will listen to this one shortly. Did you guys get cheesy early 80s exercise muzak in the background too?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Overall pretty good points but there is something extremely annoying about the over exaggerated eyebrow and head movements. I think it may be that the trying too hard to appear genuine and interesting comes across as fake and almost condescending.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just listened to the INFJ one and overall, I'd say it's correct as well. I think though that I would hate being in a relationship with me. Seriously, it would suck!

Will listen to this one shortly. Did you guys get cheesy early 80s exercise muzak in the background too?

I just posted the INFJ one separately in case others are interested in it.

That was pretty fucking good

The fact that she is an INTJ might help her with the insight on them/us.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I found this video to be interesting and pretty much true. Do the INTJs and those who have been in relationships with them agree with these things?
Yes, it seems mostly true, though not much that I haven't seen elsewhere. I did like how the speaker contrasted intensity or depth of values with difficulty in handling emotions. Too many people equate F with emotion and neglect the significant values aspect of the function. I disagree, though, about INTJs being unable to process emotional opinion, especially in the context of an intimate relationship. We may have little patience with it in contexts like work where we see it has little to contribute, but will take the emotional opinions of our partners to heart, and readily do things that make them feel good, even if they have little basis in logic.

The fact that she is an INTJ might help her with the insight on them/us.
I'm not sure she is an INTJ. My initial reaction (before I surfed around to find out who she is) was INFJ, and her introduction video at the Interpersonality website reinforces that estimation.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Highlander, are these your productions?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure she is an INTJ. My initial reaction (before I surfed around to find out who she is) was INFJ, and her introduction video at the Interpersonality website reinforces that estimation.

I can see how you might think that because of her reasons for going into it.

Focus on the communication style though. I don't believe INFJs come across as so coldly analytical. They come across as more approachable. She's so stiff, she hardly seems to move. She seems very much like an INTJ to me.

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ

Focus on the communication style though. I don't believe INFJs come across as so coldly analytical. They come across as more approachable. She's so stiff, she hardly seems to move. She seems very much like an INTJ to me.

I don't see a reason she couldn't be an INFJ. I known an INFJ who can come out almost as cold as myself.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see a reason she couldn't be an INFJ. I known an INFJ who can come out almost as cold as myself.

How likely do you think it would be for someone who does typology consulting work for a living - who runs her own company - would know what her type is?

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
How likely do you think it would be for someone who does typology consulting work for a living - who runs her own company - would know what her type is?
Don't answer this! It's a trap!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The few identified INFJs I know do come across as fairly approachable, but then I see them in relatively unstructured face-to-face situations, and I have known them for many years. They might appear quite different in a video. Also, I didn't find this woman coldly analytical in either video, though I agree that her facial expressions in the first one were just plain odd. I have a hard time gauging what constitutes "cold" and "warm" in people's presentations, though, so I am sure this is coloring my impression.

The mind is a very powerful thing, and it is far too easy to delude oneself about something as important to one's identity as type probably is to her. INFJ and INTJ are not that far apart, and she could easily use her extensive experience to find support for the type she thinks she is or perhaps wants to be. I'm not saying she is doing this, and have woefully insufficient basis to determine her type myself, but I don't think it is that far fetched for her to be off.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJ and INTJ are not that far apart, and she could easily use her extensive experience to find support for the type she thinks she is or perhaps wants to be. I'm not saying she is doing this, and have woefully insufficient basis to determine her type myself, but I don't think it is that far fetched for her to be off.

I think those two types are very different. There is a massive difference in a person that prefers Fe vs. Fi and prefers Ti vs. Te.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
fwiw: My ex's 80 yo stepfather is an INTJ. He's actually mbti certified, and I can't remember how exactly but understanding it was part of his job at a local college. Anyway, the guy was usually every bit as stoic as the INTJ stereotype- but there were rare occasions, like during dinner, where he was sorta excited about what he was talking about and his face would become quite animated, like the woman in the video (and as it happens, it usually had to do with explaining something about mbti). The other 99% of the time though, he was pretty deadpan.

It's feasible to me that she's INTJ, is what I'm saying.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
fwiw: My ex's 80 yo stepfather is an INTJ. He's actually mbti certified, and I can't remember how exactly but understanding it was part of his job at a local college. Anyway, the guy was usually every bit as stoic as the INTJ stereotype- but there were rare occasions, like during dinner, where he was sorta excited about what he was talking about and his face would become quite animated, like the woman in the video (and as it happens, it usually had to do with explaining something about mbti). The other 99% of the time though, he was pretty deadpan.

It's feasible to me that she's INTJ, is what I'm saying.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, weird, exaggerated faces seems like what we do specifically when lecturing about something we want people to get involved with. It's that "create an impact" thing goes with inferior sensing. It's supposed to operate in conjunction with words, and works better when there's things to control (like when she put up that winking smiley face to highlight some playfulness with that simple rhyme in an otherwise important and meaningful sentence), but it's meant to promote an in-the-moment interaction that sets a stage for concept building. An Se bridge toward sharing Ni.

Which doesn't make her a T. But I'm not aware of any reason to say F.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's supposed to operate in conjunction with words, and works better when there's things to control (like when she put up that winking smiley face to highlight some playfulness with that simple rhyme in an otherwise important and meaningful sentence), but it's meant to promote an in-the-moment interaction that sets a stage for concept building.

I read in something very specific when she put that smily face up there and it was about her.