• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Kiersey] Survival Games Personalities Play

How do you rate this book?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***** (best)

• Total voters

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
survival-games-personalities-play-eve-delunas-ph-d-paperback-cover-art.jpg

This book is based on Keirsey's temperaments and is about the repeated patterns we engage in unconsciously to obtain an ulterior and hidden payoff. We do this to stave off anxiety, maintain psychic stability, establish equilibrium in a relationship or receive some kind of reward from others. These things happen when we are under stress or our needs aren't being met. Rationals play "robot", idealists play "masquerade", guardians play "complain" and artisans play "blackmail". Then the book talks about different variations of each - such as the six variations of the "robot" game, "nitpick", "that's illogical", "super-intellectual", "superstition", "blanking out" and "haunted". Most of the book is about how to overcome these things.

I honestly didn't like the book at all. Aside from what I perceived as relatively inane lingo, though there were grains of truth, the games seemed exaggerated and a bit preposterous. I guess NT's aren't so guilty of complaining and artisans aren't superstitious. I didn't like all that negativity and I wasn't persuaded that the concepts or ideas that were laid out were entirely valid. It reminds me of the folk typology reference that [MENTION=14179]SolitaryWalker[/MENTION] mentioned in past threads. Since I didn't appreciate the basic concept behind the book, thereby rending it to be lf little value, I give it one star.

Metis

Rationals play "robot", idealists play "masquerade", guardians play "complain" and artisans play "blackmail". Then the book talks about different variations of each - such as the six variations of the "robot" game, "nitpick", "that's illogical", "super-intellectual", "superstition", "blanking out" and "haunted".

I can kind of see it. Or I can think of specific human examples of each for the 4 main categories, several for the Artisan "blackmail" category, and plenty for the Rational "nitpick", "that's illogical", "super-intellectual", and "blanking out" subcategories. Actually, I didn't relate to "robot" until seeing that "blanking out" was supposedly one of the variations. I might do that, or at least it might look like I do that.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Sounds like an interesting concept.

I don't see anything about being aloof though, I think that'd be mine. If I see about to not get my way I immediately give it up " I didn't really care/ doesn't matter/ or "It's a lost cause better to focus on something else." In my experience, I'd actually say it's quite common.

Or, would you say, that it does not consider things that don't fit into a stereotypes.
For ex to say that as an ENTJ I would never do this because we bulldoze and ALWAYS get our way.

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I thought it was a good read at the time, however it is based off of Keirseys temperaments, and so, is of no worth or use to someone like myself that strongly prefers a Jungian approach and a deeper appreciation of typology than simply slapping labels upon each other (which is literally what the book is about).

Maybe

MBTI Type
Ixxp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can't say I liked it.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I thought it was a good read at the time, however it is based off of Keirseys temperaments, and so, is of no worth or use to someone like myself that strongly prefers a Jungian approach and a deeper appreciation of typology than simply slapping labels upon each other (which is literally what the book is about).

Have to admit I am not familiar with this.